PDA

View Full Version : Hawks Hobby Super Bomarc

fred22
12-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Has anyone built one of these new Bomarcs from Hawks Hobby? I just orderred one and I am looking forward to getting it :)
Cheers
fred

dwmzmm
12-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Believe I've seen one of their prototypes at one of the JSC launches earlier this year, but
it wasn't painted. Still looks really cool, anyway.

pantherjon
12-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Saw one fly at NSL back in May...Didn't realize they had released it yet..:rolleyes:..Yeah, I live in a cave...under a rock!:chuckle:

So they back in operation after all the hurricane repairs? Good deal! ;)

Mikus
12-03-2008, 01:37 PM
So they back in operation after all the hurricane repairs? Good deal! ;)

Sadly, not yet is what I hear. Their website isn't selling nor has Loretta blogged since before Ike.

I haven't seen them at JSC either, but that may just be me as I've only made it out there for 1 launch since Ike. :(

fred22
12-03-2008, 01:38 PM
There was a build thread on TRF. In it folks seem impressed with the quality of the ramjet intakes and it's size. I also recall that the fact you make a cut in the body tube and the wing sat flat in the tube was a big plus. I wonder about it's stabi;ity as i have built a few clones of the estes one and stability was a lways an issue. Madcow makes a biggie size one too but but the price was a little steep for me. No doubt it's fair but just a bit rich for my blood right now :)
Cheers
fred

fred22
12-03-2008, 01:42 PM
I dont know about Hawks Hobby status. I bought the kit from Red Arrow hobbies. he said he had a couple. I also got the now semroc OT. I love those semroc kits and red arrow has always been great to deal with. This Bomarc is also midpower and as i have never even fired a midpower rocket so Im getting really excited about that as well :) I built an estes maxi hojo for a launch that the Calgary Rocketry folks were going to run but the weather scheduling difficulities prevented me from my firing my first 29mm rocket so now i will get to fire two I hope :)
Cheers
fred

dwmzmm
12-03-2008, 07:25 PM
I did get an e-mail from Loretta recently (in response to mine) and they're ok. Loretta
has agreed to be the new Contest Director & Organizer for the NASA/Houston Rocket Club
(NAR Section # 365) for the coming year (the same I do for Challenger 498). I think Ike
did bruise the Crosby area pretty hard, so it's taking them a while to get back up to speed.
I'm sure Loretta and/or Mark will chime in in the near future when they see this thread; just give them some time.....

Mikus
12-04-2008, 08:06 AM
This Bomarc is also midpower and as i have never even fired a midpower rocket so Im getting really excited about that as well :)

Welcome to the Dark Side, we have cookies. ;)

fred22
12-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Welcome to the Dark Side, we have cookies. ;)
Cool as my rather rotund frame will attest I really like cookies :)
Cheers
Fred

fred22
12-04-2008, 11:09 AM
My BOMARC has just left Chicago and enterred Canada :) I have two keys ready and the building shall commence soon I hope :)

Green Dragon
12-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Picked this kit up at NARAM form Lorretta.

Not opened it up yet, too many other ongoing projects ( plus thier Super Bandit I picked up at NARAM ) . but looks awesome, well done and quality parts, etc.

Hope that the family is well, I was down in the area the week after Ike , visiting friends, helping out, and it was a mess, and worse further south ( and flash floods a couple weeks later ) .

~ AL

dwmzmm
12-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Picked this kit up at NARAM form Lorretta.

Not opened it up yet, too many other ongoing projects ( plus thier Super Bandit I picked up at NARAM ) . but looks awesome, well done and quality parts, etc.

Hope that the family is well, I was down in the area the week after Ike , visiting friends, helping out, and it was a mess, and worse further south ( and flash floods a couple weeks later ) .

~ AL

Al, sorry I wasn't able to help you to one of our Needville launch; one of our member is going
to college in Huntsville (just north of Spring) and I'd e-mailed him to see if he was coming and to give you a lift. As it turned out, he had other plans and the deal fell through. Kind
of like the ORR at NARAM, I was looking for someone to give me a lift from the Dulles Airport
but had no takers, so I cancelled plans to attend. One of the biggest disappointments..... :(

Green Dragon
12-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Al, sorry I wasn't able to help you to one of our Needville launch; one of our member is going
to college in Huntsville (just north of Spring) and I'd e-mailed him to see if he was coming and to give you a lift. As it turned out, he had other plans and the deal fell through. Kind
of like the ORR at NARAM, I was looking for someone to give me a lift from the Dulles Airport
but had no takers, so I cancelled plans to attend. One of the biggest disappointments..... :(

Dave,

No worries, would have loved to go ( and did have my Custom Rockets Serin ready by Sat, lol ) . but it;s life.
Thanks for the efforts. if trip had not been so sudden ( mostly due to Ike ), I would have set it up in advance.

Bummer about NARAM, I stayed with a friend about 45 minutes northwest of the field, but would think someon could have picked you up,.

Might be back in texas someday, will look you up :)

~ AL

fred22
12-04-2008, 11:38 PM
This old video sums up the BOMARC for me :)
http://archives.cbc.ca/war_conflict/defence/clips/10472/
Cheers
fred

dwmzmm
12-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Dave,

No worries, would have loved to go ( and did have my Custom Rockets Serin ready by Sat, lol ) . but it;s life.
Thanks for the efforts. if trip had not been so sudden ( mostly due to Ike ), I would have set it up in advance.

Bummer about NARAM, I stayed with a friend about 45 minutes northwest of the field, but would think someon could have picked you up,.

Might be back in texas someday, will look you up :)

~ AL

Al,

We do have the Challenger Memorial Regional Meet coming up April 4 - 5, 2009. Same place
(Needville, TX). Last year's contest had excellent turnout both days along with really great weather (not to mention fantastic flights!!). You're welcome to participate, too!

Gus
12-06-2008, 04:34 PM
I was just at Commonwealth Displays. (http://www.commonwealth.net/rocketstore/rocketryframes.html)

They had 3 Bomarcs and a number of other Hawks Hobby kits.

They still had a fair number of Quest kits at 50% off. You have to call, though, as they are dwindling fast. They had some Force 5s and Nike Terriers even though they aren't listed on the website. The Navahos, Tomahawks, X-15s, and Harpoons are all gone. Couriers and Payloader Ones are still there and a heck of a deal at half off.

fred22
12-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Red Arrow hobbies are very cool. I got the BOMARC very quickly for a good price :) The packaging job was great. Thanks very much Red Arrow :)
Cheers
fred
PS Now to building this beast :)

SiriusBlack
07-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Hi Guys - I'm new to the forums here, but anyway, I just bought one of these kits at the NYPOWEER event this weekend!
I didn't realize that the kit didn't include any sort of building instructions, though. Do any of you have and instructions of any sort for this kit or is the expectation that we figure it out on our own?
From what I can tell, apparently Hawks Hobby is no longer in business - at least their website seems to be gone so I don't have any idea who to contact for help.

HELP!!

Thx - Tom :D

sandman
07-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi Guys - I'm new to the forums here, but anyway, I just bought one of these kits at the NYPOWEER event this weekend!
I didn't realize that the kit didn't include any sort of building instructions, though. Do any of you have and instructions of any sort for this kit or is the expectation that we figure it out on our own?
From what I can tell, apparently Hawks Hobby is no longer in business - at least their website seems to be gone so I don't have any idea who to contact for help.

HELP!!

Thx - Tom :D

They don't??? That's odd. :confused:

ghrocketman
07-26-2010, 11:18 AM
My Hawks Hobby Super Orbital Transport includes instructions; I have not opened it, but can clearly see them in the bag.
I think those must have been not included by mistake.

jetlag
07-26-2010, 11:24 AM
The instructions are on CD, I think. I'll check mine and let you know, unless someone else has them. I bought my kit at NSL in Orangeburg, SC in 2008 when Loretta and Mark came over. We even drag raced our OT's!
Gotta look in the bin..........
Allen

Brent
07-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Shoot me a PM with your email address. I can send them to you. I won a kit at the NSL and the instructions were not ready and Loretta emailed me the PDF. The kit looks great but I have not built mine yet. I am still flying my NCR Bomarc.