PDA

View Full Version : Estes SR71 Blackbird plans/wrap???

foose4string
12-08-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm in the process of rebuilding my SR71 and wondering if anyone has a copy of the plans they could share? More importantly, I'd love to have the wraps. I may be able carefully cut away and and trace the ones I have, but a scan sure would be helpful.

I built this one a good 15-20 years ago and made a few mistakes while building and finishing, Plus, it's had fins re-glued (at the root) after a crash or two. Wraps are crumpled at the top as a result, and were never applied to my liking to begin with, as they were pretty wrinkled on one side. One major thing that always bothered me, was that I applied the decals over flat black. I want to do it right this time.

The plastics are still in good shape and I have managed to salvage the fin stock which appears to be some stiff, good quality balsa. I do remember using Aerogloss sealer on the fins and they are nicely filled already. They main thing will be to reproduce the wraps. My plan was to use some plain 65# cardstock following the original outline of the wrap. Then, I've got some corrugated cardstock from which I'll cut pieces and apply to the flat cardstock to simulate the corrugation on the original wrap. I suppose I could try calling customer support at Estes and try to talk them out of some wraps, but I want to see how well this works before bugging them.

Peartree
12-08-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm at work now, but I'll see what's in the bag I bought from Ben a while back when I get home.

barone
12-08-2008, 11:30 AM
If Peartree can't help you out, PM me your email address and I'll send you what I have scanned.

foose4string
12-08-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm at work now, but I'll see what's in the bag I bought from Ben a while back when I get home.

That would be awesome! Let me know what you have. I know it's a pain to scan this stuff in, and I could probably do without most of the instructions....but the wrap, fin alignment and decals are mainly what is needed.

foose4string
12-08-2008, 11:38 AM
If Peartree can't help you out, PM me your email address and I'll send you what I have scanned.

Thanks Don. PM sent. :)

micromeister
12-11-2008, 06:23 AM
I'm in the process of rebuilding my SR71 and wondering if anyone has a copy of the plans they could share? More importantly, I'd love to have the wraps. I may be able carefully cut away and and trace the ones I have, but a scan sure would be helpful.

I built this one a good 15-20 years ago and made a few mistakes while building and finishing, Plus, it's had fins re-glued (at the root) after a crash or two. Wraps are crumpled at the top as a result, and were never applied to my liking to begin with, as they were pretty wrinkled on one side. One major thing that always bothered me, was that I applied the decals over flat black. I want to do it right this time.

The plastics are still in good shape and I have managed to salvage the fin stock which appears to be some stiff, good quality balsa. I do remember using Aerogloss sealer on the fins and they are nicely filled already. They main thing will be to reproduce the wraps. My plan was to use some plain 65# cardstock following the original outline of the wrap. Then, I've got some corrugated cardstock from which I'll cut pieces and apply to the flat cardstock to simulate the corrugation on the original wrap. I suppose I could try calling customer support at Estes and try to talk them out of some wraps, but I want to see how well this works before bugging them.

If you'll ping me at my mrcluster yahoo address I can send you full size scans of the wraps.
I been working on a downscale micro cluster SR-71 so had to start with the originals. I seem to recall they are each over a MB.
Redrawing the nosecone/shoulder transition has been the bugger, so it's not been a front burner project. I believe I also have the full size instructions sheets scanned if you need them.
Let me know

aeromoe
12-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Maybe you've seen this 1st link already...here are the instructions straight from Estes. Hopefully you can get the scans of the wraps you need.

http://www.estesrockets.com/assets/instructions/001942_SR71_Blackbird.pdf

Of course if all else fails the kit is still in production and available:

http://www.estesrockets.com/rockets.php?pid=001942

Moe