PDA

View Full Version : Estes MRN V6 N2 Flying Why Plan.............POLL

mojo1986
12-18-2008, 11:10 AM
The December 1966 issue of Estes Model Rocket News (Vol 6 No 2) had a number of rocket plans, one of which was the 'Flying Why'. The original Flying Why (we'll call it plan #1) was very unusual for its time as it had two forward-mounted engine pods that were significantly offset from the rocket's centerline. In 1966 cluster techniques were still being refined, and it's safe to say that the Flying Why would have been tricky (dare I say 'dangerous'?) to fly, especially in the hands of the average young rocketeer of the day. Estes quickly recognised this and printed a revised plan (let's call that one plan #2) which did away with the forward-mounted engine pods, opting instead for a single, rear centerline engine mount. The new plan featured a warning, printed in red, at its top center. I'm willing to bet that Vern had misgivings about ever having published the original plan due to possible liability issues. Later on, in reprints (plan #3), the red warning was omitted. I believe all of these plans are available for viewing on YORF.

So here's my question: since this plan was published in MRN V6 N2, how many of this issue are out there with the different plans? Essentially I'm doing a population survey to see what percentage of that issue of Estes Model Rocket News contained plan #1, plan #2 and plan #3. So I'm asking for everyone's help..............if you have a copy of this MRN in your collection, please check to see which plan it has and then record the result here in my poll. Thanks to all.

Joe

stefanj
12-18-2008, 02:58 PM
My copy of this issue was in a bound collection, published many years after the fact.

I did not know about the double-engine version until I read about it a few months back.

Rocketcrab
12-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I bought my copy directly from Estes in 1969; I think back issues were available through the catalog, but I may be wrong.

In any event, mine has the forward mounted motors I believe.

mojo1986
12-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Rocketcrab, could you confirm which one you have and then vote in the poll? Thanks.

Joe

Rocketcrab
12-20-2008, 06:31 AM
Yessir, I will check on that....might take a bit, as I'll have to dig that issue out from where ever it's hiding. :o

JAL3
12-27-2008, 11:48 AM
I have the 3rd version I downloaded from somewhere. I would be interested to see the original. Does anyone have scans?

Ltvscout
12-27-2008, 01:19 PM
I have the 3rd version I downloaded from somewhere. I would be interested to see the original. Does anyone have scans?
I've got two versions that Joe sent me awhile back up on YORP. It's in the MRN section.

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/mrn.htm

JAL3
12-27-2008, 02:50 PM
I've got two versions that Joe sent me awhile back up on YORP. It's in the MRN section.

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/mrn.htm

Thanks! I don't remember where I got the plans for mk III. I didn't even know about the first. Its going into the serious consideration stack as soon as I upgrade my insurance policy.

Ltvscout
12-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks! I don't remember where I got the plans for mk III. I didn't even know about the first. Its going into the serious consideration stack as soon as I upgrade my insurance policy.
If you have plans for a version I don't have online, please send them to me to post. Thanks!

JAL3
12-27-2008, 07:32 PM
If you have plans for a version I don't have online, please send them to me to post. Thanks!

Sorry, By mark III I meant the third version mentioned in the original post. It's the single motor version without the red warning.

mojo1986
12-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Scott, I thought I sent you the scan of the second version (red warning) but it's not posted at YORF. If you don't have it, let me know and I'll send it to you. It's worth having for the historical significance.

Joe

Ltvscout
12-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Scott, I thought I sent you the scan of the second version (red warning) but it's not posted at YORF. If you don't have it, let me know and I'll send it to you. It's worth having for the historical significance.

Joe
I've got two versions you sent me up at YORP. Did you look at both?

mojo1986
12-28-2008, 07:26 AM
I've got two versions you sent me up at YORP. Did you look at both?
Scott.............I have the version with the red warning statement around here somewhere. I'll put it on my to-do list to scan it and send you the file. Any particular request for the file format?

Joe

Ltvscout
12-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Scott.............I have the version with the red warning statement around here somewhere. I'll put it on my to-do list to scan it and send you the file. Any particular request for the file format?

Joe
Following these guidelines would be fine. Thanks, Joe!

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/sendscans.htm

Rocketcrab
01-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Rocketcrab, could you confirm which one you have and then vote in the poll? Thanks.

Joe

Success! I finally dug it out of the archives!

OK, color me embarrassed.......................mine must be the re-drawn version with a single motor. :o

JAL3
02-07-2009, 12:40 AM
I'm starting to make plans for building these beasts, both variants.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has ever actually seen the first one with the mounts on the side pods.

If so, how well did it work?

I know this will be a definite heads up flight but it looks like a fun challenge.

Royatl
02-07-2009, 09:47 AM
So here's my question: since this plan was published in MRN V6 N2, how many of this issue are out there with the different plans? Essentially I'm doing a population survey to see what percentage of that issue of Estes Model Rocket News contained plan #1, plan #2 and plan #3. So I'm asking for everyone's help..............if you have a copy of this MRN in your collection, please check to see which plan it has and then record the result here in my poll. Thanks to all.

Joe

I obtained copies of both via various purchases on Ebay. In most cases the MRN's were not the object of my purchase, but happened to be included.