PDA

View Full Version : Long Time Gone--Latest Project

six-o-one
01-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Hello,
It has been quite some time since I have posted here on the boards. This project was in response to losing my much beloved Navaho AGM. Such a small and fast rocket, I wanted to upscale it to enjoy it a little more. Finished this quite some time ago, but have yet to launch it. Cleared it, but did not gloss it. I like the matte look. Took a bit of splicing body tube, as the BT55 needed to be a bit longer, but it worked pretty well. Anyway, here are the pics.

Rob

Rocketflyer
01-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Nice work there!

What combo do you plan on flying it on? What alt do you expect?
Welcome back to the forum. :D

sandman
01-28-2009, 10:10 AM
I always liked that design. Very military looking. Looks real good upscaled (but you do have tiny pictures. :rolleyes: )

So by "cleared" do you mean clear coat? Or did you use "Dull Coat"? :confused:

six-o-one
01-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Rocketflyer: I plan on using C6-0 to C6-5 setup. I'm not rocksim compatible, but based on my two-stage Vigilante's flights, I'm figuring around 1000ft. We'll see, I may be off, just an educated (well, semi-educated anyway) guess.

Sandman: I just used a cheap clear, not dull or gloss. My wife bought it and used it on something and I liked the way it was not glossy, so I skipped buying dull and just used it. Real sorry about the pic size (and duplication). I seemed to remember having to put my pics in thumbnail form on this site. I was going to just upload them straight in the message (img), but they are big. Be more than happy to do that if it is not a problem. I think the problem with the thumnails is that I shrunk the pics in my photobucket to ge the allowable size before I chose the thumbnail option. I'll see if I can fix it.

Rob

I always liked that design. Very military looking. Looks real good upscaled (but you do have tiny pictures. :rolleyes: )

So by "cleared" do you mean clear coat? Or did you use "Dull Coat"? :confused:

MKP
01-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Really nice, the Quest Navaho AGM was my first two stage rocket. SCREAMS on a C6-0/C6-7, I'm lucky I got it back. Fortunately, my brother has good hearing and heard it land. Me and my day were looking in the wrong spot completely. Now I've got to upscale it!

six-o-one
01-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Oh yeah. My original one flew great on both B6-0/B6-4 and C6-0/C6-5 combos, but the C comboo is pretty much a flash and a trail, huh. Lost it weathercocking (my fault with the launch angle) and it went forever and disappeared on a shallow parabolic path. Hoping this upscale is the answer. Anxious to see how it performs. Good luck if you do one.

Rob

Really nice, the Quest Navaho AGM was my first two stage rocket. SCREAMS on a C6-0/C6-7, I'm lucky I got it back. Fortunately, my brother has good hearing and heard it land. Me and my day were looking in the wrong spot completely. Now I've got to upscale it!

MKP
01-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Is that a nose cone from a Estes Bullpup or CC Express? (don't have a part number)

six-o-one
01-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Is that a nose cone from a Estes Bullpup or CC Express? (don't have a part number)

Neither, actually. It is a balsa NC, and it has been so long I can't remember anything other than I got it from Thrustline.

mojo1986
01-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Six-O-One, try importing your original photo into Paint and use the 'Stretch/Skew' feature (start at 50% in each dimension) to reduce the file size. Right click on the resulting photo to determine its size. The max file size for uploading to this site is a little less than 500 KB, and the 50/50 usually works for me. If the file is still too large, save the photo and then import the reduced one into Paint and repeat.

Joe

six-o-one
01-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Six-O-One, try importing your original photo into Paint and use the 'Stretch/Skew' feature (start at 50% in each dimension) to reduce the file size. Right click on the resulting photo to determine its size. The max file size for uploading to this site is a little less than 500 KB, and the 50/50 usually works for me. If the file is still too large, save the photo and then import the reduced one into Paint and repeat.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. I'll try that, not getting anywhere with what I have been doing.

Commanche3
01-29-2009, 05:53 PM
six-o-one I love it. I am amulti stage guy I'kk have to look into this one and do a D size upscale.

six-o-one
01-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I have an affinity for the multi-stagers too. Did the Cherokee DD, cloned the old Vigilante, now this. Seems to be a theme, huh. Oh wow, gonna up it to a D version. BT55 like mine or even more upscaled?

Mark II
01-29-2009, 11:32 PM
If you happen to have MS Office, you probably have an application called Microsoft Office Picture Manager. If so, just open your original photos in that, and then choose "Compress Pictures" from the Picture menu. Usually, choosing the "Documents" compression level reduces the image file to well within YORF's limits, yet leaves you with a decently-sized image that has quite respectable resolution. I use it all the time to resize photos before attaching them to my posts.

Mark \\.

six-o-one
01-30-2009, 09:46 AM
MarkII: Thanks. I tired of trying to fix this on Wed., but will retake the pics and start over with a better approach this weekend. Thanks for the info. Tried it and it seems like it will work better for me.

Rob

If you happen to have MS Office, you probably have an application called Microsoft Office Picture Manager. If so, just open your original photos in that, and then choose "Compress Pictures" from the Picture menu. Usually, choosing the "Documents" compression level reduces the image file to well within YORF's limits, yet leaves you with a decently-sized image that has quite respectable resolution. I use it all the time to resize photos before attaching them to my posts.

Mark \\.

Tau Zero
01-30-2009, 11:53 PM
six-o-one,

Very inspiring! :D

Your posts led me to track down this EMRR review:

http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/qst_navaho.shtml

I checked LTVScout's Ye Olde Rocket Plans, and noticed that this kit was absent from the lineup. :(

But a BT-55 upscale would be *cool!* (As you've already proven. :cool: )

Cheers,

six-o-one
01-31-2009, 11:40 AM
CenturiGuy,
Thanks. Yes, I am pretty pleased with the visual of the BT55 upscale version. Hope I am as pleased with its flights.
I have the plans for it. If you need them I could scan them for you, copy and mail, or whatever works for you. Should I submit a copy to "Ye Olde Rocket Plans". Don't mind doing it if there is a need.
Well, I think I am going to try to work on the regular kit version that I started after I finished the upscale. It has been sitting with four fins needing to be sanded and attached. for quite some time. Do that I and I am ready for paint and decals. Funny, my original Navaho AGM came with peel and stick graphics. This kit came with water slide, should look even better. For the upscale I ended up enlarging the decals onto clear sticker paper, then cutting right to the color edge of the graphic so there is no clear sticker showing. A couple of minor glitches, but after clearing it looks pretty good.
LMK if you need the plans.

Rob

six-o-one,

Very inspiring! :D

Your posts led me to track down this EMRR review:

http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/qst_navaho.shtml

I checked LTVScout's Ye Olde Rocket Plans, and noticed that this kit was absent from the lineup. :(

But a BT-55 upscale would be *cool!* (As you've already proven. :cool: )

Cheers,

Ltvscout
01-31-2009, 11:52 AM
I have the plans for it. If you need them I could scan them for you, copy and mail, or whatever works for you. Should I submit a copy to "Ye Olde Rocket Plans". Don't mind doing it if there is a need.
Rob,

We can always use more plans. Thank you.

Here is a guide you can use when scanning things up for us:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/sendscans.htm

six-o-one
01-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Well, I will give it my best shot. As you can see by my pics, technology is not my strongpoint. I have to use the scanner at school (I teach), so it will be this week.

Rob

Rob,

We can always use more plans. Thank you.

Here is a guide you can use when scanning things up for us:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/sendscans.htm

Mark II
01-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Scott - doesn't YORP only host plans for kits that are OOP? I thought that Quest was still making the Navaho.

Mark \\.

Ltvscout
02-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Scott - doesn't YORP only host plans for kits that are OOP? I thought that Quest was still making the Navaho.

Mark \\.
You're correct. I just assumed the Navaho was no longer made.

Rob, if the Navaho is still in production there's no need to spend the time scanning the kit for me. Thank you.

six-o-one
02-01-2009, 12:41 PM
You're correct. I just assumed the Navaho was no longer made.

Rob, if the Navaho is still in production there's no need to spend the time scanning the kit for me. Thank you.

Yep, you guys are right. I checked the Quest website and it is still up for sale. Like you, I just assumed. Oh well, I'll have 'em for whenever they are needed (like many others, probably).

Rob

Tau Zero
04-21-2009, 10:23 PM
CenturiGuy,
Thanks. Yes, I am pretty pleased with the visual of the BT55 upscale version. Hope I am as pleased with its flights.

I have the plans for it. If you need them I could scan them for you, copy and mail, or whatever works for you. Should I submit a copy to "Ye Olde Rocket Plans". Don't mind doing it if there is a need. [SNIP]

LMK if you need the plans.Hey Rob,

Sorry to put this thread "on hold" for so long, but I'd like more information about your BT-55 upscale. If you could post measurements of the various parts (nose cone, body tubes, etc.), that would be *awesome!*

Also, how much did you upscale the fins (i.e., what percentage)? Thanks in advance, and *cool idea.* <big evil grin>

Cheers,