PDA

View Full Version : What's New At WalMart

Rocket Doctor
02-07-2009, 03:05 PM
On my recent excursion to WalMart the other day in York SC I found the following Estes items.

Gone are the clam shell packaging, in it's place are cardboard packages, both kits and starter sets, they had an assortment of kits for $9.99.

Also, I picked up 5 packs of motors , C6-3's and C6-7's for only $3.00 per pack, and this was not discounted, it was the shelf price.

And, once again, WalMaart had done a reset for the summer, along with Valentines Day and even Easter items..............

Peartree
02-07-2009, 03:37 PM
We've always had cardboard packages for all but the RTF stuff.

CPMcGraw
02-07-2009, 04:14 PM
The cardboard boxed versions of the Rascal and Hijinks are showing up down here in Mobile. Up until recently they were still in the clamshells.

I've also seen the new WM version of the "Experimenter's Special" (or whatever it's being called). It's a bunch of pre-wrapped tubes with some plastic fin units and nose cones for ~$25.

(In a Ben Stine voice) I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it...

Rocket Doctor
02-07-2009, 04:35 PM
We've always had cardboard packages for all but the RTF stuff.

You better check aagain.
The starter sets came in pastic "clam shells", and the smaller kits came in "diamond shaped" plastic boxes. (launchables)

It has just been recently that Estes has chanaged their packaging from plastic back to cardboard.

Most of the Estes kit were in plastic bags with a single hole for placing on peg hooks. There have been boxes over the years in different sizes and shapes.

The current boxes at WM are great to be recycled.

All I can say is to check them out.........

o1d_dude
02-07-2009, 06:27 PM
At $3 a pack, I'd have picked more than five! Ten is a nice round number, innit?

The West Coast Wal*Marts seem to be selling motor packs for $4.97 with single stages motors A8 through C6. Come to think of it, there were a few mini-motors available, too.

The good news is that I seem to be the only Wal*Mart customer buying motors in my neck of the woods...er, palms.

luke strawwalker
02-07-2009, 08:27 PM
What's the scoop with Walmart and Estes motors?? Are ALL W/M's carrying them, just regionally, or what?? I was in our local W/M the other day and 3 different 'starter sets' but no motors-- didn't even see any shelf space for motors. I read somewhere that WM's in some areas aren't even carrying motors anymore... so what gives?? Any experiences/ideas here appreciated. PS we're in SE TX near Houston...

OL JR :)

AKPilot
02-07-2009, 08:38 PM
The Wal-mart's up here are all carrying motors again, for $4.95 a pack. Not bad, considering . . .

dwmzmm
02-07-2009, 10:21 PM
What's the scoop with Walmart and Estes motors?? Are ALL W/M's carrying them, just regionally, or what?? I was in our local W/M the other day and 3 different 'starter sets' but no motors-- didn't even see any shelf space for motors. I read somewhere that WM's in some areas aren't even carrying motors anymore... so what gives?? Any experiences/ideas here appreciated. PS we're in SE TX near Houston...

OL JR :)

Jeff, I went to the Wal - Mart at Westview/Belt Way 8 several weeks back and they had those boxed rockets and starter sets along with A10-3T's, A8-3's, B4-4's and B6-4's; likewise,
all the other Wal - Marts in my area have the rockets but NO engines whatsoever, so I don't know what the deal is. Read somewhere in one of these forums that the engines were being pulled from the WM shelves due to some "safety" issue(s). BTW, the Westview store's engines were priced $4.97 per pack.

Mark II
02-07-2009, 11:39 PM
I was just in the Walmart in Plattsburgh, NY today, and I saw that they had the boxes that RD was talking about. Two or three different boxed models, or pairs of models (I didn't notice if they were launch sets or not) plus the Rascals and Hijinks also in boxes.

And..... Glory be!

DISCOUNTED MOTORS!!!

At long last. These were marked on the shelf as being $3/pack. Huzzah! There was just a small box of them though, containing nothing but C6-3's and C6-5's.

I think that the large flat cardboard boxes with the splashy color graphics all make the products stand out more when they sit on the lowest shelf, which is where they are usually located. In the clamshell packs, the package would taper from the base to the top. When they were stood up on the bottom shelf, this would cause the packaging to angle back away from the edge of the shelf. When you were standing in the aisle, looking down, the product would jusr recede away and be hidden under the shelves above it. With the flat-front cardboard boxes, all of the packaging's graphics are right up at the front edge of the shelf where they are very prominent and easy to see. They really seemed to pop when I saw them today.

Mark \\.

Rocket Doctor
02-08-2009, 08:47 AM
At $3 a pack, I'd have picked more than five! Ten is a nice round number, innit?

The West Coast Wal*Marts seem to be selling motor packs for $4.97 with single stages motors A8 through C6. Come to think of it, there were a few mini-motors available, too.

The good news is that I seem to be the only Wal*Mart customer buying motors in my neck of the woods...er, palms.

I purchased all of the motors that they had, other than four packs of A10-3T's, which, many WM's end up with from their master packs.

I rearranged the shelves to match the shelf tags, and, the rockets were on the bottom shelf, and the motors were behind the kits, but, I searched and found and purchased.

I don't know what is going on with motors, I can only guess that Estes might be coming out with a different selection of motors for a "master pack" and that WM is selling off what they have. It makes no sense to have the kits without the motors.

At least they have kits now, that's a positive.

Rocket Doctor
02-08-2009, 08:54 AM
There is NO problem with motors complying with the HR4040 lead regulations or any other regulations.

Like I had mentioned previously, I think the reason is that Estes could possibly be coming up with a better selection of motors for WM in a new "master pack". Time will tell, just a guess on my part.

luke strawwalker
02-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Jeff, I went to the Wal - Mart at Westview/Belt Way 8 several weeks back and they had those boxed rockets and starter sets along with A10-3T's, A8-3's, B4-4's and B6-4's; likewise,
all the other Wal - Marts in my area have the rockets but NO engines whatsoever, so I don't know what the deal is. Read somewhere in one of these forums that the engines were being pulled from the WM shelves due to some "safety" issue(s). BTW, the Westview store's engines were priced $4.97 per pack.

Thanks Dave... that's encouraging and troubling at the same time... :eek:

Good that at least SOME WM around these parts carry the motors, bad that it's only 1 and all the others seem to be sans motors.

Guess I'll have to end up buying at HL or online... OL JR :)

pantherjon
02-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Checked the local WM yesterday when I went to get some paint and no joy..:(..They had the shelf space marked for $3/packs but no motors on the shelf..Will have to check another WM I pass on the way home from work tonight..

Mikus
02-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Jeff, I went to the Wal - Mart at Westview/Belt Way 8 several weeks back and they had those boxed rockets and starter sets along with A10-3T's, A8-3's, B4-4's and B6-4's; BTW, the Westview store's engines were priced $4.97 per pack.

Confirmed, I've been there too. Bought nothing. :(

Gus
02-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Went to my local WM for the first time in 2 months. Regular shelf had just the starter sets and RTF boxed Rascal and HiJinks kits.

There were only a few motor packs, all C's, which all scanned for $4.97.

Then I went to the discount aisle and found 7 packs of C6s marked down to $3. They looked identical to the $4.97 packages but obviously must have a different SKU. Only kit left in the discount aisle was a Gauchito for $7, which has been at that price for at least a year.

I see folks mentioning the assortment pack motors and the educator packs, but I have yet to see either in any of my local WMs.

I'm sorry not to see any buildable kits but I'm glad there are at least starter kits.

Rocket Doctor
02-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Went to my local WM for the first time in 2 months. Regular shelf had just the starter sets and RTF boxed Rascal and HiJinks kits.

Then I went to the discount aisle and found 7 packs of C6s marked down to $3. They looked identical to the $4.97 packages but obviously must have a different SKU. Only kit left in the discount aisle was a Gauchito for $7, which has been at that price for at least a year.

I see folks mentioning the assortment pack motors and the educator packs, but I have yet to see either in any of my local WMs.

I'm sorry not to see any buildable kits but I'm glad there are at least starter kits.

Hello Steve.......HRU
Made a return trip back to my local WM, they had two packs of C's, C6-3 and C6-7, picked those up for the $3.00 shelf price, still there wee the five packs of A10-3T's, and, the other day, I purchased all the C's that they had, where these came from I have no idea,

RD

GIJoe
02-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I am glad there is a local store here that sells Estes motors for Less than Wal-Mart. I get normal 3packs for about $4.50 and E9's for $10. Although I go to Wally World and look for deals, I usually skip everything unless they are at $1. Then I buy everything they have in stock that I can afford. I once got three Educator packs for $15 each. But I haven't them at Wally World for years now.
Joe

Mark II
02-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Estes is supposedly refocusing on the hobby market, so hobby stores and online might be where we will see the buildable kits. Maybe?

Mark \\.

Shreadvector
02-10-2009, 07:09 AM
I have seen posts from Texas mentioning the Blast Off Flight Pack at some Wal-Marts in Texas. no mention or reports from anywhere else (that I know of).

Also, I have never seen an "Educator Pack" mentioned at a Wal-Mart.

Wal-Marts have a large two level display box with an assortment of different motor packs, but each pack contains 3 identical 18mm motors or 4 identical 13mm motors. They switched to the new pack because of the shelf realestate: the lower shelf is taller and they needed to fit mor motors into one narrow slot in the tall shelf instead of several slots in the not-so-tall shelf up above. They also sell a launch set with a bunh of parts that you can customize in many different ways. Think of it as a beginner's designer special.

dwmzmm
02-10-2009, 09:16 AM
I have seen posts from Texas mentioning the Blast Off Flight Pack at some Wal-Marts in Texas. no mention or reports from anywhere else (that I know of).

Also, I have never seen an "Educator Pack" mentioned at a Wal-Mart.

Wal-Marts have a large two level display box with an assortment of different motor packs, but each pack contains 3 identical 18mm motors or 4 identical 13mm motors. They switched to the new pack because of the shelf realestate: the lower shelf is taller and they needed to fit mor motors into one narrow slot in the tall shelf instead of several slots in the not-so-tall shelf up above. They also sell a launch set with a bunh of parts that you can customize in many different ways. Think of it as a beginner's designer special.

Several years ago I got a Blast Off Pack from my local Wal-Mart for only $18; it had that red/white clearance price sticker on it. Even though I was down to my last $20 in my wallet,
I (of course) quickly bought it :D . I've heard from my fellow club members getting Blast
Off Packs even cheaper at their Wal-Mart in the Houston area. You never know when these
great deals are out there.

Mikus
02-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks Dave... that's encouraging and troubling at the same time... :eek:

Good that at least SOME WM around these parts carry the motors, bad that it's only 1 and all the others seem to be sans motors.

Guess I'll have to end up buying at HL or online... OL JR :)

Hang in there Luke. The WM that Dave mentions has restocked, I promise you I cleaned them out of $3 motors waaaay back before Christmas. They also have that new launch set with all the parts which I never saw out before Christmas (lol - excellent marketing strategy there Estes...).

The bad news is it appears WM is back to $4.97. On the other hand, I saw a pack of C6's at HL for the staggering price of $9.49 the other day. :eek:

Mikus
02-10-2009, 12:18 PM
I've heard from my fellow club members getting Blast
Off Packs even cheaper at their Wal-Mart in the Houston area. You never know when these
great deals are out there.

That would probably be me. :D

$11 Flight Packs @ Wal-Mart (http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?p=40388#post40388)

Sadly I haven't seen that good of a deal since. This particular WM did have 9 Flight Packs on the shelf for $29.97 each the other day. :eek:

BEC
02-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Hmmmmm......

I rechecked the closest WalMart to my office (Renton, WA) yesterday morning. No motors in stock and no apparent place for them on the shelf (space or shelf tags). However, the shelf layouts taped to the wall above clearly showed space for them, so they just haven't restocked. This is the same store that I got clearance 3 and 4 packs from last week for $2 and $3.

There were RTF rockets and two or three different starter sets, including one that scanned for $13.97 - that's less than either the pad or the launch controller separately in a hobby shop. :eek:

I've never seen a 24-motor pack in WalMart, but even at $30 that would not be bad at all.....

o1d_dude
02-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Here's an odd one for you.

I just checked a different local Wal*Mart (yes, there are several where I live) and saw they'd been restocked for the spring/summer rocketry season. Who knew rocketry was a seasonal thing?

There were only two or three starter sets or RTF models but one big motor display of nothing BUT C6 motors. I bought two packs of C6-3.

It's an addiction, I tell you!

Mark II
02-11-2009, 02:14 AM
Here's an odd one for you.

I just checked a different local Wal*Mart (yes, there are several where I live) and saw they'd been restocked for the spring/summer rocketry season. Who knew rocketry was a seasonal thing?
You're kidding, right?

Mark \\.

gpoehlein
02-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Just got to one of my local Wally Worlds and they've restocked the rockets as well. They had a nice motor selection (A8-3, B6-4 and B4-4 motors) and they had the new "mini designers special". Interesting, but I'd be more interested if it didn't have YET ANOTHER LAUNCH PAD! How many of the darned things do you need. I swear, any more, half of Estes' line is starter sets! Which wouldn't be so bad if they offered those rockets separately, but they don't. There are a lot of neat rockets that only come with YET ANOTHER LAUNCH PAD! Hmm... I think I just found my new signature!

Greg

o1d_dude
02-11-2009, 11:43 AM
You're kidding, right?

Mark \\.

Yes, I was.

Even in California we have more than one season...spring, summer, and fall. :chuckle:

STRMan
02-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Just got to one of my local Wally Worlds and they've restocked the rockets as well. They had a nice motor selection (A8-3, B6-4 and B4-4 motors) and they had the new "mini designers special". Interesting, but I'd be more interested if it didn't have YET ANOTHER LAUNCH PAD! How many of the darned things do you need. I swear, any more, half of Estes' line is starter sets! Which wouldn't be so bad if they offered those rockets separately, but they don't. There are a lot of neat rockets that only come with YET ANOTHER LAUNCH PAD! Hmm... I think I just found my new signature!

Greg

You know what, I was starting to get upset about this, then I realized I wanted to make a multi-launch pad anyway. I plan on cannibalizing all these launch pads to make a six position launch pad in the future.

gpoehlein
02-11-2009, 03:35 PM
You know what, I was starting to get upset about this, then I realized I wanted to make a multi-launch pad anyway. I plan on cannibalizing all these launch pads to make a six position launch pad in the future.

Now there's a man who takes lemons and makes lemonade! ;)

Greg

mycrofte
03-09-2009, 11:04 AM
I got a box of 3 old Estes launch pads off eBay last fall. I was thinking of making a bridge to join 2 of them and make a NASA type launch pad. It shouldn't be hard to make a square metal plate to cover the whole thing.

As for the local Wal-Mart, they do carry some stuff here. Mostly a couple of starter/beginners set and C6-5's. If I had known, last November, I would have picked up that whole box of engines for $2 each before someone else (a dirtbag) did...

Mach1
03-11-2009, 11:46 PM
On my recent excursion to WalMart the other day in York SC I found the following Estes items.

Gone are the clam shell packaging, in it's place are cardboard packages, both kits and starter sets, they had an assortment of kits for $9.99.

Also, I picked up 5 packs of motors , C6-3's and C6-7's for only $3.00 per pack, and this was not discounted, it was the shelf price.

And, once again, WalMaart had done a reset for the summer, along with Valentines Day and even Easter items..............

Our Walmart cleared out motors last fall for $3.00/pack. However, I'm cheap. :) $3.00 was too much. I kept watching them......and watching. They marked them down to $1.00/pack, and I cleaned them out. :D

STRMan
03-12-2009, 04:58 AM
They just opened a new pack of engines at my WalMart in Port Orange FL. A8-3's, A10-3T's, B6-4's and B4-4's. All still at $4.97/pack. I like this trend. It used to always be the C engines.

tbzep
03-12-2009, 08:04 AM
My local Walmart just got a new display case of motors. They were all C6-3/5/7's, but they debuted at $3.00 a pack for some reason. My wife bought the whole display. :cool:

I've cleaned out a couple other WW's of mostly C's the last few years, so I think I now have a lifetime supply unless I start flying a lot of heavy clusters.

foose4string
03-12-2009, 08:52 AM
My local Walmart just got a new display case of motors. They were all C6-3/5/7's, but they debuted at $3.00 a pack for some reason. My wife bought the whole display. :cool:

I've cleaned out a couple other WW's of mostly C's the last few years, so I think I now have a lifetime supply unless I start flying a lot of heavy clusters.

Just affirmation that you made the right choice when you married her! My wife goes along with my addiction too...the rocketry one that is. ;) She's brought several discounted packs home from WM, mostly last fall. The toy section has been reset once or twice since then and still shows $3.00 for motors. The have all the new RTF's and plastic stuff, but no motors yet.

West Shore Rockets
03-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I saw some B4-4's at Walmart for the regular price.

But the big score was at Toys R Us. B6-0 for regular price (5.95 a pack). I jumped on those. Bought 6 packs. Ok, didn't have alot of money. I'll get more after NARCON. This will hold me in saucer motors for most of the year.

spacecenturion
03-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Well...what can I say?

The Canadian Walmarts do not have any model rocket stuff, neither do our Michael's. I would love to get some rocket stuff with a Michael's coupon.....all well...

Our Toys'R'Us seems to have gotten out of rockets, and when they didhave them in stock, the selection was not that great. They only offered 3 choices of starter sets, and no individual rockets. The starter sets were priced well, $34.99 for a set that sells for $45.00 at the local hobby shops. Engines, when in stock, were only 1 selection, usually A's, and they were I think $7.99, the hobby shops sells the regular engines for $9.99.

Like the rest of you have found out, at the end of the season the sales are good though, I bought a Tandem-X set on sale for $24.99, and then a few weeks later noticed they had an online sale for $9.99, so I bought a few more. At least Toys'r'us is good for something!

Speaking of Toys'R'us, they are nothing like I remember when I was younger, lets say for the first 5 years once they opened. The selection of "good stuff" is way down. Take the plastic models for example, when I was younger thay had 3/4 of an aisle full of various models, now....1-2 shelves! :eek:

Thinking back, the rockets back then took up the remaining 1/4 of the model aisle! I remember looking at the various kits, sets, etc. Maybe I should start a pettiton to get a better selection! :D

At least I have a few good hobby shop to go.

Rocket Doctor
03-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Why don't you cross the border into the US and buy what you need?

tbzep
03-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Just affirmation that you made the right choice when you married her! My wife goes along with my addiction too...the rocketry one that is. ;) She's brought several discounted packs home from WM, mostly last fall. The toy section has been reset once or twice since then and still shows $3.00 for motors. The have all the new RTF's and plastic stuff, but no motors yet.

Definitely. A few years ago she came home with a boatload of motors from WW that she got for 50 cents a pack.

Mark II
03-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Why don't you cross the border into the US and buy what you need?
Would he be able to bring motors back with him to Canada? There is also the little matter of Customs duty. And the exchange rate might be a problem (I'm not sure which way that comes down these days). Plus, as a Canadian citizen, why shouldn't he support the economy in his own country by making his purchases where he lives? After all, the Canadian economy is feeling the pinch, too. And although Toronto is relatively close to the border with the US, it is still a little bit of a drive (almost 100km each way, as I recall).

Oh, wait -- I just remembered that 100km (61 miles) is also the one-way distance for me to my nearest (or "local") Walmart... but I don't cross any borders to get there. My nearest -and only- Michael's is 72 miles away. The closest Toys 'R Us to me is over 100 miles away, and it requires a ferry ride across the lake to Vermont... The nearest one in NY state, which is also the next closest one, is 150 miles away, and the last time I was there, it didn't look like they carried any rocketry items - or even any plastic models, for that matter. (Actually, they didn't appear to be stocking anything that would require a kid to get off the couch and exercise anything other than his thumbs, but don't get me started on that rant...) These distances make hunting for clearance items a bit of a problem, and of questionable value for the effort that would be involved. (A round trip ferry ticket across Lake Champlain is over $20, and it is a 80 mile drive for me just to get down to the lake.)

MarkII

mycrofte
03-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Yeah, that would make a trip for rockets just crazy! But I think they are so hard to find in Canada because they changed the laws. I remember reading something at an online store about it. I guess the Canadian government is afraid the people will revolt and launch at them...

spacecenturion
03-13-2009, 09:40 AM
I guess the Canadian government is afraid the people will revolt and launch at them...

Hey...this was supposed to be a classified secret, eh? :D

Don't get me wrong, we do have a lot of local hobby shops that I support and I don't mind spending a bit more money here and there, I was just mentioning that the American 'Big Stores" have a better selection than their Canadian stores. Sometimes it is nice to score a great deal, ie 40% coupon from Michael's for use on rockets.

On the topic of goverment regulation, we do have a lot of issues geting some products up here. The engines are not too bad, but certain paints are hard to get!!!

Model Master metalizer paints, for example, is nearly impossible to get up here now. There are a few other ones too, but I forget which ones exactly. Even certain glues are a bit hard to find here too. Something to do with certain chemicals, etc.

But then again, Canada is becoming more controlling each day. Did you know thay are trying to pass a bill that will prevent the sales of vitamins/suplements over the counter. You will need a prescription to get vitamin C!! :eek:

Ok...getting sidetracked again.....I keep doing that! :D

The problem with going through the border now is that I need a passport, something I never have had before. Also too lazy to go out and one.... :rolleyes: Plus, even if I made it into the US to get to some of these clearance sales, the rest of you would have cleared the place out even before I got to the border! :chuckle:

I do have to look at the positive, using Mark II as an example (hope you don't mind mark), I do have a lot of things around me, 2 walmarts in the immediate area, 1 toys r us, Michael's, these are within a 10 minute drive. I won't even count what I have available within a 30 minute drive! I have 2 hobby shops (Northstar and Panther) within 10 minutes too, Taras at Advanced Rockets/Sigma Rocketry shop is about 15 minutes away, Sunward is about 20 mins away (I really should call Angelo and see him one day), and finally another hobby shop about 20 minutes by subway (quicker by subway than driving through the city). So, I can not complain!!!

Like I said early, I have the selection here, but it would be nice to get the super "big store" deals/clearance sometimes!!

Support your local hobby shops!!!!

BEC
03-13-2009, 04:53 PM
I was in Vancouver BC early this week and in a WalMart Supercentre on Tuesday. Naturally I looked for rocket stuff - and found nothing at all.

I am glad to hear that engines and such are available in Canada as my second daughter and her husband and their daughter are relocating to the Vancouver area, so I'll have a reason to go up more frequently than my normal twice-yearly visits to Chilliwack to go to an electric R/C airplane meet. Flying rockets up there is something I'd like to do.

It is ironic that there is a move to make supplemental vitamins by prescription since a number of prescription-only drugs here are OTC in Canada.

I was in a local WalMart today and there were two recently opened packs of engines on the shelf next to the RTF rockets and the "designer's package" and the $14 starter set. They were the A/B packages (A8-3, A10-3T, B4-4, B6-4 assortment). No C's. They all scanned at $4.87 per package, though there was a shelf tag in front of one of them saying $3. I'd gotten some $3 C6-5 packs at this particular store a few weeks ago.

Jeff Walther
03-19-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't know what is going on with motors, I can only guess that Estes might be coming out with a different selection of motors for a "master pack" and that WM is selling off what they have. It makes no sense to have the kits without the motors..

The Walmarts I've been to here and in San Marcos have new master packs (assuming that means the shelf display unit full of different 3 packs). I don't know if this is a new/different assortment, I just mean that they're new since the end of season clearance last year.

These new packs seem to be very heavy on the A8-3s. They also contain B6-4s as they did last year. However, they also contain B4-4 and I'm not sure if those were available last year or not. Things were messy enough I could not tell if the C6-3s and C6-5s were part of the pack or came from their own pack. I didn't see any A10-3Ts at the three stores I visited.

They're all marking them $4.97 around here, although one store still has a $3/pack shelf tag next to the $4.97 shelf tag. Everything there rings up at $4.97. I suppose one could argue the $3 shelf tag, but I only feel justified in doing that if I believed the lower price in the first place, and in this case I know what's going on.

One of the local Walmarts just does not appear to carry Estes stuff. It's possible they simply ran out earlier and restocked later, but after several fruitless trips, I've stopped visiting that Walmart. So variation isn't just by city or region. It looks like it can vary by store.

One store I went to north of Austin on IH35, the Estes stuff wasn't on the shelf--not because of an official safety issue, but because an over-cautious pair of store employees weren't sure if they should stock them, since they use fire. Silly girls--and they were little teenaged girls. Probably grow into mothers who won't let their kids go outside because of all the dirt.