PDA

View Full Version : So, watcha got?

Lugnut
10-03-2005, 04:02 PM
As I had posted a few pics of my assorted ill finished horde of newer and vintage rockets in the other thread, I realized that for a forum about vintage rockets, there's precious little here in the way of pictures from you guys on what you have in your collections.

So, let me say I'm curious as to what some of the treasures you guys have in your collections and what they look like. And, no, I don't mean the bags of pristine unbuilt kits with unbent cardboard headers that trade back and forth on ebay all the time. That does nothing for me. Thats like buying a candy bar and not eating it. I want to see vintage birds.

Also, do you guys who have old rockets still fly them? Or do they permanently sit in a "No-Fly" zone on a display shelf?

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-03-2005, 04:39 PM
As I had posted a few pics of my assorted ill finished horde of newer and vintage rockets in the other thread, I realized that for a forum about vintage rockets, there's precious little here in the way of pictures from you guys on what you have in your collections.

So, let me say I'm curious as to what some of the treasures you guys have in your collections and what they look like. And, no, I don't mean the bags of pristine unbuilt kits with unbent cardboard headers that trade back and forth on ebay all the time. That does nothing for me. Thats like buying a candy bar and not eating it. I want to see vintage birds.

Also, do you guys who have old rockets still fly them? Or do they permanently sit in a "No-Fly" zone on a display shelf?

Nah, I fly 'em. Sometimes I crush 'em, like I did the other night when I tried to move my Estes Odyssey and forgot about the table. Lost two fins that time. I've also got a couple of vintage rockets that I rescued from Ebay in various states of repair and repaint. I'm SLOWLY building one of the Centuri Buck Rogers birds, and I have a Star Trooper half finished. These are the pics I could find just sitting here. I'm sure there are more somewhere. Nothing terribly sexy, but I like them. :cool:

barone
10-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Here's some pictures of a few of mine laying around the house. Don't make me have to get into the attic.....at least not yet :D

Don
NAR 53455

Green Dragon
10-03-2005, 09:38 PM
well, posted my pics over in the other thread, but will repost in a few ( have to refind them . lol )

comments - posts look nice, Bill's post is particularly of interest, as I just 'rescued' a Challenger 1 starter set (builtup) from EBay myself (real clean, so will onyl need recovery update to fly again ), plus I just finished sealing my STar Blazer repro tonight ( it was my second kit way back when ) .

cool to see the pics for me as well ( will post mine, honest, lol ) .

~ AL

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-03-2005, 09:52 PM
well, posted my pics over in the other thread, but will repost in a few ( have to refind them . lol )

comments - posts look nice, Bill's post is particularly of interest, as I just 'rescued' a Challenger 1 starter set (builtup) from EBay myself (real clean, so will onyl need recovery update to fly again ), plus I just finished sealing my STar Blazer repro tonight ( it was my second kit way back when ) .

cool to see the pics for me as well ( will post mine, honest, lol ) .

~ AL

My Challenger 1 rocket was a basket case. I'll see if I can find the before and after pics. The body tube, which felt like it was rolled from typing paper, was crushed and yellowed beyond repair. I was able to replace the tube, repaint the plastic, and print up a set of decals. It's now better than new, since I replaced the typing paper with a real body tube.

Can't find the pics here at work. Hopefully they haven't been deleted at home, but it's a possibility.

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Here's some pictures of a few of mine laying around the house. Don't make me have to get into the attic.....at least not yet :D

Don
NAR 53455

:eek: Young man, you get up in that attic RIGHT NOW! And don't show your face here until you have pictures of whatever's up there! :D ;) :cool:

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-03-2005, 10:29 PM
A vintage Centuri Mach 10 that I got for a bargain price on Ebay. It's unpainted and still has the factory printing on the balsa. it also came with the original decals, face card, clay, and instructions. No doubt my best buy to date.

Lugnut
10-04-2005, 06:26 AM

Don
NAR 53455

Those are beautiful. Nice work on the finishes. Thanks for posting these guys.

I'm leaving the ones I have that are in 'decent shape' alone in their 'original patina'. I could clean up the Mars Lander and the Orion, but I like ahving the original finish and decals on them. Just like the guys on Antiques Road Show, say, 'don't refinish that table'. ;)

Green Dragon
10-04-2005, 07:31 AM
"Anyone want to see my new pictures of old rockets?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/marwatkins/dscn1300.jpg"

nice fleet.

not sure I can list them all.. especially the Centuri stuff - Centuri was largely unheard of ,and unavailable around the upstate NY area when in production - always had a sort-of mistique because of that :-)
the only time I EVER saw Centuri on the racks was on a trip to D.C. circa 1981-2 with my parents, and we found this hobby store with piles of old Centuri kits,and some FSI kits and even F100,etc.. wow ...
lacking funds, my bro and I got one each, mine a bandito (lost to a tree on flight # 2 :-( , clone under construction now), he got a Snipe Hunter which we still have, except the crushed payload section from a prang flight,so could be rebuilt ( we have the technology) ...

anyways, back to your pic , lol - here's what I came up with ( corrections/updates welcome, so I 'learn to know' these oldies, lol ) .

flutter-by
red alpha
pisqueek
firefly
2nd red, ? Quest Astra
yellow and black Apogee 2
point
vulcan
x24 bug
pair of rtf x-fliers (laying down)
alpha 3
centuri space shuttle
next to shuttle = ? black widow (hard to see)
orion
quasar
Snipe Hunter ?red nose,white fins (hard to see)
groove tube
star wars droid fighter rocket (laying down)
vector v
second vector v with 'non-catalog' fins and paint
mini bertha without roll pattern decals
new estes hi flier
small V2 - not sure the kit,looks smaller than Estes/ Centuri
Quest Falcon
Quest Intruder (no decals)
Centaur 2 stage
Astron Constellation
? silver/red rocket behind constellation
Tomahawk ? - orange with white cone
? next to Orion (hard to see,maybe an Arcon or Arcon HI ?)
Estes ARCAS
Micron ? with 'fade' nosecone paint
chuter 2 ? (behind vector V)
Drifter ? - silver with estes decal
? second Drifter (silver,in front of Groove Tube)
pop pod boost glider (?estes kit)
Astro 1
? unknown with 'canard' fins
? larger blue rocket
one with 'Super Eagle' decals (unfamiliar with,Quest kit ?)
Redstone
? hard to see transition rocket
Taurus
? white with orange nose
? white,red nose - ? IRIS
? Payloader (black and yellow)
? white with clear payload

miss any ? lol :-)

:confused:

Green Dragon
10-04-2005, 07:41 AM
ok, posted some of these before, but here goes again, so they;re here in the 'roght place' .lol

first three repeat pics are the current 'displayed' fleet ( not by far all of them :-)

other pics are scanned in older pics I found. (sorry about the scan quality on some, not sure what's up with the scanner, working on it, then will rescane the ones for YORP, so let me know which are needed and which are fixable )

pic 5 (darker one) is quite old, many of these are long since gone (like the shortened 2 stage Cobra 1500,and the all-black Big red max witht he NAR decal).

also of note ,unrelated thread, is the last picshows the four mini engine cluster rocket,with Cherokee D fins, as discussed in another thread.

enjoy ! ( and keep sending in yours so I can drool ... err.. get motivated :-)

~ AL

Lugnut
10-04-2005, 10:16 AM
[ anyways, back to your pic , lol - here's what I came up with ( corrections/updates welcome, so I 'learn to know' these oldies, lol ) .

flutter-by
red alpha
pisqueek
firefly
2nd red, ? Quest Astra - probably correct
yellow and black Apogee 2
point
vulcan
x24 bug
pair of rtf x-fliers (laying down)
alpha 3
centuri space shuttle
next to shuttle = ? black widow (hard to see) yep, its a black widow (minus decals)
orion
quasar
Snipe Hunter ?red nose,white fins (hard to see)
groove tube
star wars droid fighter rocket (laying down)
vector v
second vector v with 'non-catalog' fins and paint - correct fins, just rotated, cardboard fins allowed for different configs
mini bertha without roll pattern decals
new estes hi flier
small V2 - not sure the kit,looks smaller than Estes/ - Centuri MX-774
Quest Falcon
Quest Intruder (no decals)
Centaur 2 stage
Astron Constellation
? silver/red rocket behind constellation - lol, I've never been able to ID it either
Tomahawk ? - orange with white cone correct, look for this on Carls 'future kit list'
? next to Orion (hard to see,maybe an Arcon - correct
Estes ARCAS
Micron ? with 'fade' nosecone paint - correct
chuter 2 ? (behind vector V) - I believe its a payloaderII
Drifter ? - silver with estes decal - actually a spare parts rocket of my own design

pop pod boost glider (?estes kit) - Centuri Swift
Astro 1
? unknown with 'canard' fins - another homemade spare parts rocket
? larger blue rocket - homemade christmas wrapping tube rocket with homemade cone (twin motor cluster)
one with 'Super Eagle' decals (unfamiliar with,Quest kit ?) - yep Quest Super Eagle
Redstone (Centuri)
? hard to see transition rocket Centuri Recruiter with wrong NC, and 4 fins instead of 6
Taurus
? white with orange nose - Quest Sprint
? white,red nose - ? IRIS -- Javelin (I have an unbuilt Iris kit, using the NC on the Recruiter actually)
? Payloader (black and yellow) Unknown, Centuri origin w/replacement fins
? white with clear payload - trick question, actually a Semroc Lune R-1 with temp payload/NC until I replace the wrecked NC

miss any ? lol :-)

Mars Lander
Gyroc
Centuri Egg Crate
second Centuri Tomahawk (behind Mars Lander)
Quest Aurora

:confused:[/QUOTE]

Ya did good! :)