PDA

View Full Version : Centuri Mini-Dactyl dimensions? (JimZ's plans are sparse)

blackshire
02-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Hello All,

Does anyone here have the dimensions of the Centuri Mini-Dactyl boost-glider? The plan scans on JimZ's web site http://www.dars.org/JimZ/km-6.htm are sparse on dimensions for the pop pod and the glider(s), there are no inch reference markers on the balsa sheet images, and my computer set-up won't print them at full size.

At a minimum, if the dimensions of the glider parts' balsa sheets were known (I *think* at least two of them might be 3" wide), I could re-construct the dimensions of the glider parts and the pylon parts for the pop pod. Also, I need the length of the longer of the pop pod's two tubing sections. (Incidentally, Semroc makes the BC-50 nose cone that this model uses, and they just added the stubby T20 nose cone for the original MPC Flat Cat's pop pod!.)

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

barone
02-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Well....if anyone doesn't supply an answer within the next couple of days, I'll dig mine out and get you the measurements.

Nuke Rocketeer
02-26-2009, 06:16 AM
I'll dig around my files. I know that when I opened the last kit I had I took measurements and traces of all the parts. WHere I put them now is another matter with my random filing system..........

Carl@Semroc
02-26-2009, 12:23 PM
We have provided these to a Scout group. Here is the Parts List (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/ClassicParts.asp?ID=591).

The nose cone is a BC-515E which is, to the best of my knowledge, only used on this one kit. I will put the fins online as soon as I can.

barone
02-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Wow....what better service can you get....once the fins are up, I think I need to place a Semroc order.... :)

blackshire
02-27-2009, 12:23 AM
Oh my...talk about "Ask and ye shall receive!" I thank you all very much for stepping forward to help me with this!

Since the two-part (connected using a stage coupler) pop pod body tube was originally designed so that the coupler would double as a thrust ring for the old 2+" long Centuri mini motors, a Mini-Dactyl clone could be simplified by using one longer piece of ST-5 tubing and a standard 13 mm thrust ring for the pop pod.

blackshire
02-27-2009, 12:38 AM
We have provided these to a Scout group. Here is the Parts List (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/ClassicParts.asp?ID=591).

The nose cone is a BC-515E which is, to the best of my knowledge, only used on this one kit. I will put the fins online as soon as I can.

An interesting thing about the Mini-Dactyl is that the pop pod nose cone depicted in the kit front panel artwork (and in the catalog illustrations) looks like the long plastic ogive in the Star Trooper kit, but the drawings in the Mini-Dactyl kit instructions show the more rounded nose cone that was actually in the kit. I wonder if Centuri had originally intended to use the Star Trooper nose cone and then changed their minds after the Mini-Dactyl kit panel & catalog artwork was created?