PDA

View Full Version : Help with some old stuff

roed
03-09-2009, 09:45 AM
First off I'm new to this forum so if I've posted this in the wrong place let me know. My name is David Roe and I'm the grandson of the late William (Bill) Roe. This summer we are expecting to have a family get together to clean out my grandmother's attic in Colorado Springs. She still lives in the house on Weber St where I'm told they had some kind of rocketry meetings. I also know that there is a decent amount of model rocketry stuff up there that might have some historical value. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what sort of things we should be looking for and what to do with anything we might find.

Thanks for your assistance.

David Roe

Bob Kaplow
03-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Definitely get in touch with Bill Stine (G Harry's son) at Quest. He's been collecting stuff for a model rocket museum.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/member.php?u=1901

barone
03-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Please.......DON'T THROW ANYTHING ROCKETRY RELATED AWAY!

If you HAVE to get rid of stuff, let us know here and I'm sure we can make what arrangements necessary to pick things up so they can be preserved for future rocketeers. There is a NAR club in Colorado Springs as well as Denver. As Mr. Kaplow has stated, Bill Stine is working on stocking a rocketry museum and he would be an excellent point of contact.

Royatl
03-09-2009, 10:56 AM
First off I'm new to this forum so if I've posted this in the wrong place let me know. My name is David Roe and I'm the grandson of the late William (Bill) Roe. This summer we are expecting to have a family get together to clean out my grandmother's attic in Colorado Springs. She still lives in the house on Weber St where I'm told they had some kind of rocketry meetings. I also know that there is a decent amount of model rocketry stuff up there that might have some historical value. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what sort of things we should be looking for and what to do with anything we might find.

David Roe

There is a person on this forum, though I don't know if he's logged on in awhile, named Mike Konshak.

Here's a link to one of his messages where he talks about going to meetings in your grandfather's attic!

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showpost.php?p=27139&postcount=4

And like the others, I'd recommend getting with Bill Stine. He's just a couple hundred miles away in Pagosa Springs. Also Vern Estes is still down in Canon City, and he might be able to assist.

Chas Russell
03-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Tom Lyons is the head of the NAR's Contest Board and has been collecting contest related items to help flesh out the early NAR contests and NARAMs.

Chas

Bob Kaplow
03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
There's also Art Nestor, NAR Historian.

jetlag
03-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Anything worth selling, we have a great auction site here............. :D

shockwaveriderz
03-09-2009, 01:52 PM

David Roe

Since I never had the chance to talk or meet your grandfather in person, let me publicly say thank you to Bill Roe, as if it wasn't for a lot of hard work he put in back in the early 60's , we might not be here today. G. Hrary Stine leaned on Bill Roe a great deal year in those early years.

Bill Roe got the countries first permissive model rocketry law passed on 1960 I think it was there in Colorado Springs,Co. .

He is also the reason the NAR Pink Book is Pink.

Any corresopondance your father had with anybody in the rocketry field would be great to see. Any old NAR documents or publications like the NAR Model Rocketeer; any pictures or 8mm films from those days; old price sheets or catalogs from model rocket manufacturers of the day. Actually anything your Grandfather might have saved would be of great historical value.

great to hear from you

terry dean

roed
03-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Thank you all for your advice. I won't be able to look at the attic until late June, but I wanted to get some idea before hand if anyone might be interested. I'm going to contact Bill Stine and see if he might be interested in anything. Of course any final decision as what to do with the rockety stuff will be a family decision. Thanks again for you help.

roed
03-11-2009, 09:50 PM
I guess Mr Stine doesn't allow e-mails from forum users. Could someone PM me some contact info for him?

Rocketcrab
03-12-2009, 11:34 PM
There's also Art Nestor, NAR Historian.

YES, please contact Art. I know for a fact that his heart and soul is in to the history of the NAR, and I cannot imagine that he'd not be interested in anything that you night have to offer. I have his e-mail address, please PM me if you want it.

Chas Russell
03-24-2009, 08:13 PM
I had PM'ed David about historical contest material for the NAR Contest Board. I also told him that my first NARAM was #11 in Colorado Spring in 1969. I told him that the scrapbook that I have taken to the last few NARAMs and NARCONs has a photo of me with his grandfather Bill with the Air Force Academy football stadium in the background. Bill Roe was the contest director. The photo was also sent to and was printed in the Columbus (OH-IO) Dispatch newspaper.

I also got to see G. Harry Stine and I later served with him on the NAR Board of Trustees. Took a picture of Vern Estes at the controls of the launch system that Estes built for the event. I gave Gleda a copy of the photo a couple of years ago that I was able to print from the slide. We had a tour of Estes where we got to see a lot of closed doors. Industrial spies that we were. Then there was the orange soda experiment off the Royal Gorges bridge, but I digress.
It will be interesting to see what comes out of the attic.

Chas

roed
06-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Got in to Colorado Springs last night. We started cleaning out the attic today. I've posted some pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/39580829@N06/sets/72157619795915919/ Let me know if you recognize anything.

Rocketflyer
06-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Got in to Colorado Springs last night. We started cleaning out the attic today. I've posted some pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/39580829@N06/sets/72157619795915919/ Let me know if you recognize anything.

Yes! Astron Starlight, a Patriot. What do you want for the tower? :D

shockwaveriderz
06-17-2009, 03:10 PM
I saw a lot of old rockets that are worth $$, what appears to be an original MMi tower wish is worth $$, some blue tubes that may or may not contain engines that are worth $$....that old handbuilt peak city stuff is worth a small fortune..... thats got to date back to < 1960 .... but I don't collect stuff.... I would love to see an index of what documentation that your grandfather and father saved ..... model rocketeer mags , plans and diagrams, NAR literature etc.....

great stash!

terry dean

Royatl
06-17-2009, 03:15 PM

Interesting. The rockets are a bit more modern than I was expecting. Martin's NAR number is just higher than mine, and these rockets were the type I (and many of us here) was flying during my first stint in the hobby (68-74). The old MMI tower is the only obvious throwback to the early days of the hobby.

Was kind of expecting a bunch of MMI Aerobee Hi's and Carlisle rockets! But it makes sense if he and his son continued in the hobby into the 70's.

Shreadvector
06-17-2009, 03:39 PM
I guess Mr Stine doesn't allow e-mails from forum users. Could someone PM me some contact info for him?

Bill Stine can be contacted through Quest (his rocket company) either by web-based contact form or telephone. And he has direct e-mail.

http://www.questaerospace.com/

http://www.questaerospace.com/contact.asp?url=xx

Ltvscout
06-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Bill Stine can be contacted through Quest (his rocket company) either by web-based contact form or telephone. And he has direct e-mail.
I'm pretty sure I sent Dave the email address for Bill back in March.

roed
06-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Yes I have been in contact with Stine and he's going to get a chance to take a look at the stuff in person this week. It does appear that most of what is up there is my father's so it's newer stuff. Then again all I did was open the box, see that it had rockets in it and add it to the pile, we'll have to see what's further down in the pile. After I took those pictures we stumbled across some Model Rocketters and Aircraft modeling magazines which had a rockety section. We also found a box that seems to be full of kit instructions and plans. I'm not sure from what era however.

As things stand now nothing is for sale. It's the position of the family that we are more interested in preserving the historical items that we have rather than using them for financial gain.

I'll try and make updates with more pictures as we dig deeper.

roed
06-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Stine came and looked at what we had. While there wasn't a lot from the very early days there was a number of things from some of the later days up through the mid 70s. We donated most of what we had to his museum. I unfortunately didn't take any more pictures.

Thank you all for your help in figuring out what to do with these pieces of American history.

Bob Kaplow
06-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Stine came and looked at what we had. While there wasn't a lot from the very early days there was a number of things from some of the later days up through the mid 70s. We donated most of what we had to his museum. I unfortunately didn't take any more pictures.

Thank you all for your help in figuring out what to do with these pieces of American history.

And thank you for helping to preserve it for others.