PDA

View Full Version : New Design -- Fleur de Lis

CPMcGraw
03-11-2009, 11:12 PM
A new design using the ST-11 body tube and the proposed BC-1171SP nose cone.

Length: 29.21"
Diameter: 1.566" (BC-1171SP)
Fin Span: 5.97"
Weight: 2.28 oz

Launch Rod: 36" x 1/8"

B4-4......288'......Dv 18 FPS
B6-4......296'......Dv 14 FPS
C6-5......729'......Dv 8 FPS

Enjoy!

billspad
03-12-2009, 06:16 AM
I know it's considered rude to correct someone's spelling on a forum but I think you're going for this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur-de-lis). It is a cool design.

CPMcGraw
03-12-2009, 11:01 AM
I've always had trouble with the spelling on this one... :o

The spelling should be the correct version. "FLEUR-DE-LIS". I'll make some corrections...

It's like having a dog named PHIDEAUX... :D

And yes, I know (now that I've looked it up, anyway...) that a true "Fleur de Lis" should only have three petals instead of four... :D

CPMcGraw
03-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Here are the links to the design files, with correct spelling for the name.

jeff_in_AZ
03-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Very nice design. From the picture it looks like the
fins are sort of hollow, with a framework rather than
being solid. In your experience, how well does that
work compared with a standard solid fin?

jeff

Ltvscout
03-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Here are the links to the design files, with correct spelling for the name.
Craig,

I corrected the thread title for you. You could've done it as well since you have mod rights for your forums. Just click on Thread Tools to edit the thread.

CPMcGraw
03-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Very nice design. From the picture it looks like the
fins are sort of hollow, with a framework rather than
being solid. In your experience, how well does that
work compared with a standard solid fin?

jeff

Although it doesn't show it in the plan, the fins are a combination of balsa sheet and hardwood dowels. They are what I call "open frame", and are in the same family as the Andromeda and the Dominion Keeper.

They do work, mostly through drag forces as opposed to slipstream correction. These fins create a lot of drag around their leading edges, and if you get enough of it in the right place, it works like a drogue chute trailing behind the model.

For the record, it doesn't always work "in the wild", even though RockSim says it should... :o

CPMcGraw
03-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Craig,

I corrected the thread title for you. You could've done it as well since you have mod rights for your forums. Just click on Thread Tools to edit the thread.

Thanks, Scott. I knew how, I just wasn't focused on it, and might have even forgotten about it in the background.