PDA

View Full Version : MicroMAXX fun - FlisKits Teeny Triskelion

BEC
03-13-2009, 05:05 PM
It's sunny and not too breezy in the Seattle area so I went out at lunch time to fly something just because it was too nice not to. One of the two rockets I had with me in the car was my recently completed Teeny Triskelion. Having just gotten started with the Micro Maxx stuff by way of the recent Quest sale, I really didn't know what to expect, but I was a little underwhelmed with the RTFs in the starter set that I've tried.

However, the Teeny Triskelion flies beautifully - straight and fast and impressively high for such a tiny thing. I think I'm going to really enjoy getting into these little bitty rockets - even if their tiny size makes them a bit more challenging to build.

I do wish the ejection delay was longer, though. On both flights the TT was still coasting up at a pretty good pace when the streamer was ejected. I know I'm not the first one to make that comment, however.

My 15-year-old daughter and I have full sized Triskelions to build - I'm looking forward to that as well.

Mark II
03-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Oh, I think you have been bitten my the micro bug for sure. And your fate is sealed - you will definitely become addicted. Just like the rest of us. :D

Your post reminds me that I need to get going on putting together my TT as well, while I still have enough eyesight to follow it in the air. :rolleyes:

And don't be too hard on the plastic Quest RTF's; they do have their uses. For instance, they are the only rockets that I own that I can fly underneath the forest canopy. :chuckle: And believe it or not, a couple of years ago, Quest was selling them as Christmas tree ornaments. They work quite well for that, too. ;)

Hey, if you launch the RTF saucer and it makes it all the way up to eye level, you have done well.

If you want to get some micro saucers that will go much higher, check out the three free plans here (http://fliskits.com/products/free_stuff.htm) (scroll down to the bottom of the page). Also, Art Applewhite used to have many more free Micromaxx plans at his website, but they are almost all gone now. There are a few of them in the Files section of the Micromaxrockets Yahoo! group, but you will need to register as a member to get them. If you are interested, send me a PM and I will email you several more. These designs are easy to build from cardstock, and they fly really well.

MarkII

BEC
03-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Thanks. I did try the saucer... I must have done really well as it got up to - oh - maybe 12-15 feet.

I keep thinking about downscales of rockets I had long ago and loved. The one I think would be really cool would be the Gyroc. I'm just finishing a clone kit of one and am looking forward to flying it again, but it would be very interesting I think to do it in about 40% scale (which is what the ratio of BT-2.5 to BT-20 is - about). Another would be the trusty ol' Alpha. Another is a little streamer-recovered rocket of my own design from back then. Time to buy some small scratchbuilding parts from FlisKits.

The micros have the advantage of being quite doable in a nearby elementary school playfield - which will be important come summer as the meadow I used today is always closed to the public from about the end of June until sometime in September for fire concerns. The fact that the schoolyard is within a fairly short walking distance is also a plus.

FWIW, the Teeny Triskelion and the BMS Gyroc are my first two kits since being "born again".

jflis
03-14-2009, 05:14 PM
To help you out with your scratch building and down scaling, you can use our handy-dandy scaling calculator (table) found by clicking this link (http://www.fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/micromaxx/documents/mmx_scales.htm)

Have fun :)

barone
03-14-2009, 09:24 PM
To help you out with your scratch building and down scaling, you can use our handy-dandy scaling calculator (table) found by clicking this link (http://www.fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/micromaxx/documents/mmx_scales.htm)

Have fun :)
Thanks Jim....that's a lot easier than using the Excel spreadsheet version.....