PDA

View Full Version : Signature Picture

E.A.C. Firecat
03-20-2009, 02:50 AM
•••

Mark II
03-20-2009, 03:26 AM
There have been a lot of changes over at the "new" TRF.
Some of them, (for me & a few others that have posted their opinions) I don't think turned out for the better:
• Way too many sub-forums now (compared to before)
• Newsbot; which seems to clutter up the "Today Posts"
• Having to log in, in order to see attachments
• The "Relative" Time Stamp
These last 2 only seem to differentiate TRF from other forums since they don't appear to have any practical purpose.

• Trigger-happy moderators...

MarkII

mperdue
03-20-2009, 04:14 AM

MarkII
Agreed!

Mario

Leo
03-20-2009, 05:44 AM
Scott, stick with text only signatures. I personally don't want to read through threads that have unrelated pictures in them. Makes a more pleasant and easier read without.

mycrofte
03-20-2009, 06:53 AM
Yeah, another forum I am on is dominated by kids putting stupid crap (large pics or videos) in there signature. I would rather stick with text.

Ltvscout
03-20-2009, 07:38 AM
Anyway, I didn't start this thread to "beat up" on TRF there are still more positives than negatives.
Which brings me to the subject title. One of the better additions is that of a Signature Picture.
Where you can add a small (500x100 pixel) jpg/gif to (or instead of) your traditional signature text.

Scott, is there anyway you can add this feature to YORF?

Say yes...:)
I've all ready have mine made out:
Mario,

That's a feature only available in the new version of vBulletin. At some point in time I plan on upgrading the forum software here, but that probably won't be for awhile. When I first put YORF online I had added a lot of "mods" to the software to tweak it to my liking. It will take a lot of work to get those mods reinstated into the new version of software since the coding is quite different.

Ltvscout
03-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Scott, stick with text only signatures. I personally don't want to read through threads that have unrelated pictures in them. Makes a more pleasant and easier read without.
I understand where you and mycrofte are coming from. Another forum that I frequent is the Cruise Critic forum over at http://boards.cruisecritic.com. That forum also uses vBulletin forum software. People there tend to have extravagant signatures showing off all their past cruises they've been on, along with countdown clock banners showing their upcoming cruises. I just went into my User CP and turned off the setting to show signatures.

So, what I'm getting at is when I do upgrade the software down the line to the version that has the ability that Mario asked for, people that don't want to see all that stuff can turn off signatures.

Royatl
03-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Where you can add a small (500x100 pixel) jpg/gif to (or instead of) your traditional signature text.

Scott, is there anyway you can add this feature to YORF?

Say yes...:)
I've all ready have mine made out:

Scott!!! PLEASE DON'T!!!

Signatures are already the "Flashing Scrolling Marquee" of web forums! Please resist the "high school boy web site" urge! :)

Leo
03-20-2009, 09:28 AM
So, what I'm getting at is when I do upgrade the software down the line to the version that has the ability that Mario asked for, people that don't want to see all that stuff can turn off signatures.

Please rethink that option aswell.

Rocketflyer
03-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Scott!!! PLEASE DON'T!!!

Signatures are already the "Flashing Scrolling Marquee" of web forums! Please resist the "high school boy web site" urge! :)

Oh, I agree with this, and Leo's statment.

mperdue
03-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Mario,

That's a feature only available in the new version of vBulletin. At some point in time I plan on upgrading the forum software here, but that probably won't be for awhile. When I first put YORF online I had added a lot of "mods" to the software to tweak it to my liking. It will take a lot of work to get those mods reinstated into the new version of software since the coding is quite different.
Scott, thanks for the reply but I'm not the person who asked for the feature - I wouldn't use it even if you did enable it. :)

Mario

ghrocketman
03-20-2009, 12:06 PM
The "Trigger Happy Moderators" have ALWAYS been a serious flaw over on that OTHER forum. That is one of the many reasons why I go to that forum only about once a month...OVER-moderation drives me nuts.
I'd MUCH rather have the flame-wars of "Newton's Third" forum, where if one is an idiot, they RIGHTFULLY get called an IDIOT and much worse, than the mamby-pamby-ness of the forum mentioned in the opener of this thread.

mperdue
03-20-2009, 12:46 PM
He was referring to me.
We share a common given name sir.:)
Since it's so recognizable with you, I don't use it as a sign off or signature out of respect.
I hadn't noticed. It's rare for me to run into another Mario (although it is getting less rare.) My apologies.

Mario

PS

Great name...

ghrocketman
03-20-2009, 01:28 PM
How about Frankie ?
And Al ?

mperdue
03-20-2009, 01:39 PM
You obviously didn't grow up in Brooklyn;
there were 3 of us just on my block alone.:chuckle:
Next to Tony and Joey, it was probably
the most common (Italian) name in N.Y.
(and probably in Philly too).:)

In Indiana in the 60's and 70's there were no other Mario's around. I was in High School before I met someone who shared the name - Mario Andretti. It's still reasonably rare around here, at least in the circles I run in.

Mario

mycrofte
03-20-2009, 03:39 PM
So long as I can turn them off, I won't cry about it...

Ltvscout
03-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Scott, thanks for the reply but I'm not the person who asked for the feature - I wouldn't use it even if you did enable it. :)

Mario
Heh, I was talking to the "other" Mario, Mario Anleu. ;)

Ltvscout
03-20-2009, 05:13 PM
OK, I wouldn't want this forum to become as "trigger-happy" as that other one, and since I've been spending more time on this one anyway (due to my earlier criticisms), I withdraw the request.
No problem, Mario.

Say, would you mind posting some day how you went about putting together that limited run of SPEV kits you had a number of years ago? This was before Semroc and all. I'm sure there are people here who'd like to hear how you hunted down all the parts and such. (For those of you not aware, the SPEV uses a non-standard tube size. Well, it was non-standard till Carl came around offering them again. heh)

I know John Brohm did a ton of work getting the correct BT-52 tube dimensions.

mperdue
03-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Heh, I was talking to the "other" Mario, Mario Anleu. ;)Yeah, we've established that... :)

o1d_dude
03-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Sounds like Mario Brothers to me. :chuckle:

Bob Kaplow
03-20-2009, 11:54 PM

MarkII

I wouldn't have been that kind :mad: