PDA

View Full Version : Viking II notes

stefanj
03-21-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm making an upscale FSI Viking II, based on the BTH-70 heavy-duty tube. Today I got around to marking tubes.

I have both an unbuilt kit and a built model, circa 1988. But I was feeling lazy and went to on-line sources. Specifically, Ye Olde Rocket Plans and the Ninfinger catalog.

I discovered that the plan on YORP was a later version, dating from the era when FSI redesigned the packaging. The model had a few significant differences from the classic version.

* Original had a two-piece body tube, most likely so the parts could fit in a short plastic bag. The pieces were about 4" and 8". I'm not totally sure because my Viking II (which I fished out of storage after becoming resigned to the fact that this wasn't going to be easy) has had several rounds of repairs. The rear tube on my model is a touch under 4.5". Since the catalog lists 4" and 8" lengths for the HRT-8 tube, I suspect this was due to FSI's casual attitude toward accuracy. In any case, a 12" body fits the stated total length for the Viking II in older catalogs, 16".

* The later version had a 12" body and a payload section (stated as 4" in the YORP kit instructions but 5" in the notes) with a balsa bulkhead. This fits the catalog length of 23", as stated in later catalogs.

I don't plan on opening my unbuilt early-version kit, but I'll scan the back and front some day when I feel ambitious.

I'm going to use the older dimensions as the basis of the upscale. I like the slightly squat look.