PDA

View Full Version : Speak with Barry Tunick , Monday March 30th

Rocket Doctor
03-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Barry Tunick, owner of Estes-Cox has agreed to come on YORF on Monday March 30th, between the hours of 4pm to 6pm Colorado time Check your time zone, just for a reference, that would be 6pm to 8pm east coast time.

Those wishing to ask Barry a question may do so at that time, inorder for everyone to have that opportunity, we ask that you ask only one question per member, and if time allows, more questions will be taken.

Please be brief and keep your question on the topic at hand Estes.

No personal attacks, no name calling, lets be civil.

All questions will be answered, that can be, without going into confidential company business..

Barry has agreed to do this in part to reduce the speculation on the sale of the company and any other false information that might be at hand.

Barry deserves our respect and is looking forward to speaking with you here.

FYI

At exectly 6 pm Colorado time, the queation and answer period will end, even if in mid sentence.

I will start a new thread at 4 PM Colorado time for this Q & A session

cas2047
03-26-2009, 07:04 AM
RD I applaud you and YORF for always being right out in front, keeping folks informed, and dealing with facts. Also a big thanks to Barry for agreeing to sit down and chew the fat.

Thanks!

Rocket Doctor
03-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Your welcome..........Hopefully, this will put to rest all the speculation going on here.

Rocketflyer
03-26-2009, 07:15 AM
WOW! YORF and RD, major kudos for this hookup. Congtrats!!!!

Ltvscout
03-26-2009, 07:33 AM
Ken,

Thank Barry for me for taking the time from running his business to answer questions for us. We all look forward to speaking with him on Monday.

We really appreciate it.

Getting answers directly will hopefully quell all these rumors popping up.

foose4string
03-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Is this going to be in typical thread format? Or, will a chat room be set up for this?

Peartree
03-26-2009, 07:50 AM
Your welcome..........Hopefully, this will put to rest all the speculation going on here.

Probably not.

I've worked for a company where the Vice President (the top dog at our division) proclaimed very strongly in an employee meeting that the company was certainly not for sale and all the rumors should be put to rest. Less than 72 hours later they announced that the company had been sold. And yes, the guy who made the announcement most certainly knew of the pending sale and all the details of the ongoing negotiations.

Corporate management will say what they feel needs to be said. The truth is often (unfortunately) irrelevant.

I'm sure what Barry has to say will be very interesting and I applaud you for arranging this. Will I believe what Barry has to say simply because he said it is true?

Probably not.

AKPilot
03-26-2009, 08:17 AM
This will be great! Thanks for setting this up, am greatly looking forward to it and hearing the latest.

Do the rules of engagement apply to Barry as well?

Ltvscout
03-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Is this going to be in typical thread format? Or, will a chat room be set up for this?
Thread.

Rocket Doctor
03-26-2009, 08:51 AM
As Scott has pointed out, this will be a thread, a new thread will be established under "Ask the Doctor" which will be called "Ask Barry".

At exactly 4 pm on Monday March 30th, you may field question to Barry.

I have asked both sides to be civil to each other, courteous and stay on the topic at hand Estes.

The Q & A will only last for two hours form 4pm to 6pm olorado time, at exactly 6pm, that,s it, in the middle of a question or not.

This is an exclusive to YORF, no other forum will offer this opportunity to ask barry questions.

One question per member, and please be breif so that everyone may participate.

Confidential company business will not be discussed, so don't even ask.

I thank everyone here for your interest and look forward to the Q & A on Monday.

Davidtmp
03-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks RD for setting this up. I may have to fire a question before I leave from work and check on the thread when I get home.

Rocketflyer
03-26-2009, 09:16 AM
This will be great! Thanks for setting this up, am greatly looking forward to it and hearing the latest.

Do the rules of engagement apply to Barry as well?

ROE, hahaha. Don't fire until fired upon. :chuckle:

I hated that rule! :mad:

In this case, be civil. :D

JRThro
03-26-2009, 09:26 AM
RD and Scott, thanks for setting this up.

And thanks to Barry for agreeing to do this.

Now, let's see how it works out.

Gus
03-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Ken,

Outstanding work to get Barry to come and chat. I saw Scott's note that the chat will be done in a regular thread and I'm wondering if maybe you might want to ammend that. My impression is that as soon as you open the thread there will be 20 posts of questions and Barry will be lucky to even get done reading through those in the two hours.

As an alternative, may I suggest you use a format similar to what Larry King used to use on his old radio program. For the 1st hour Larry would interview the guest by himself, then the second and third hours were opened to questions from the public.

If you use a similar format, you could use the next few days to solicit questions from everybody, you could pick the few that you think best represent what you think most would want to hear Barry chat about, and have him do those first, then open it to general questions. I think that might be a more productive approach.

Just a thought. And thanks again for your usual good work.

Steve

MKP
03-26-2009, 11:50 AM
As always, my motto when it comes to Estes is: "I'll believe it when I see it." The man isn't exactly known for his honesty. He often seems to say that he or Estes representatives will be somewhere, and turn into no shows. (e.g. NARAM)

shockwaveriderz
03-26-2009, 12:41 PM
why do I get the sinking feeling this just might degenerate into a fiasco? I hope everybody chooses their words carefully and remember they are representing their rocketry community when they start asking questions.

terry dean

Leo
03-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Outch, that's midnight to 2 AM for me, which is a no go :(

Looking forward to reading the thread in the morning though :)

cas2047
03-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Outch, that's midnight to 2 AM for me, which is a no go :(

Looking forward to reading the thread in the morning though :)

Leo - I don't have anything specific I planned on asking so if you've got a question you want answered post it here in this thread or send it to me via PM and I'll ask it for you during the session.

Royatl
03-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Ken,

Outstanding work to get Barry to come and chat. I saw Scott's note that the chat will be done in a regular thread and I'm wondering if maybe you might want to ammend that. My impression is that as soon as you open the thread there will be 20 posts of questions and Barry will be lucky to even get done reading through those in the two hours.

As an alternative, may I suggest you use a format similar to what Larry King used to use on his old radio program. For the 1st hour Larry would interview the guest by himself, then the second and third hours were opened to questions from the public.

If you use a similar format, you could use the next few days to solicit questions from everybody, you could pick the few that you think best represent what you think most would want to hear Barry chat about, and have him do those first, then open it to general questions. I think that might be a more productive approach.

Just a thought. And thanks again for your usual good work.

Steve

That is similar to the way Slashdot does Q&A with very popular or potentially controversial subjects. I.e. accept ten or twenty questions, edit for duplications or problems, then submit those to Barry to answer on his own time. There can be a second such session for specific follow ups. Of course, that takes the "live-ness" from it But at the same time Barry can give well thought out answers instead of being forced to give rushed off-the-cuff answers.

Rocket Doctor
03-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the input on the type of Q & A session.

Barry has agreed to a one time, two hour LIVE Q & A session.

I would ask that a quwstion be posted, then a reply and we do that until the entire two hours has gone by.

And, once again, I have asked both sides to be civil to each other , show respect and be rocketeers.

Both sides are representing the hobby, but on a different level, both consumers and manufacturer..

Moderators will be standing by, so, be on your best behavior.

Check your time zone, as mentioned previously, it will begin at 4pm Colorado time and end at 6pm, it will not go over.

for their positive comments.

And, once again I thank everyone

lurker01
03-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Barry Tunick, owner of Estes-Cox has agreed to come on YORF on Monday March 30th, between the hours of 4pm to 6pm Colorado time Check your time zone, just for a reference, that would be 6pm to 8pm east coast time.

Those wishing to ask Barry a question may do so at that time, inorder for everyone to have that opportunity, we ask that you ask only one question per member, and if time allows, more questions will be taken.

Please be brief and keep your question on the topic at hand Estes.

No personal attacks, no name calling, lets be civil.

All questions will be answered, that can be, without going into confidential company business..

Barry has agreed to do this in part to reduce the speculation on the sale of the company and any other false information that might be at hand.

Barry deserves our respect and is looking forward to speaking with you here.

FYI

At exectly 6 pm Colorado time, the queation and answer period will end, even if in mid sentence.

I will start a new thread at 4 PM Colorado time for this Q & A session

Ken is this April fools?

If not, wow!

Bob

shockwaveriderz
03-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Here are my 2 questions:

Do you think Estes will ever switch over from BP as the propellant for Estes model rocket engines to the EB75?

Will Estes ever consider making reloadable BP or reloadable EB75 model rocket engines?

for those of you who are unaware of EB75 attached is the .pdf describing it

if aanybody is interesteing is discussing this propellant see here:

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4964

terry dean

Rocket Doctor
03-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Ken is this April fools?

If not, wow!

Bob

No Bob, this is certainly not a joke, this is for real. Stop in on Monday to participate...

Mark II
03-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Here are my 2 questions:

Do you think Estes will ever switch over from BP as the propellant for Estes model rocket engines to the EB75?

Will Estes ever consider making reloadable BP or reloadable EB75 model rocket engines?

for those of you who are unaware of EB75 attached is the .pdf describing it

if aanybody is interesteing is discussing this propellant see here:

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4964

terry dean
"In some cases, the binder can comprise one or more modifiers that can modify a Theological property of a mixture thereof, e.g., reduce a viscosity of the precursor material." United States Patent Application Publication US 2006/0272754 A1, page 6, paragraph 0066. (Starting on the 25th line of the paragraph, which is on page 14 of the .pdf.)

I guess that God really is in the details! :chuckle:

MarkII

motley16
03-26-2009, 07:14 PM
thanks rd this should be interesting. As i have said before product in hand is the only thing that matters. When /if this happens we will all be happy. :) Most of the rest will take care of itself. "Delays" make me uneasy. Just get er done. Give us product asap.

georgegassaway
03-26-2009, 07:48 PM
"Delays" make me uneasy. Just get er done. Give us product asap.
I prefer products that are "well done" (done well).

Not "done before ready" (rushed out the door to meet a deadline instead of meeting a quality/reliability standard).

- George Gassaway

barone
03-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the input on the type of Q & A session.

Barry has agreed to a one time, two hour LIVE Q & A session.

I would ask that a quwstion be posted, then a reply and we do that until the entire two hours has gone by...........(snip)
RD,

I think you're missing the point of what Gus was saying........

If every member of YORF is on the thread, and you ask for a question, suddenly the thread is 500 posts long!

Somewhere, there has to be a way to control the questions. A question que so that the thread isn't inundated with questions.

Personally, I like the suggestion where the questions are submitted before hand to you. You, acting as the moderator could then say "Our first question is from Gus in Michigan" and then Gus can type in his question to Barry. It's still live and we don't have everyone trying to post at the same time.

Sunward
03-26-2009, 11:41 PM
..., suddenly the thread is 500 posts long!....
Can the server handle this?

....Personally, I like the suggestion where the questions are submitted before hand to you.....
I would agree with this. It would allow questions to be properly formed and avoid duplication.

Gus
03-27-2009, 03:22 AM
I would be very happy with Ken moderating the questions. I think it might make the experience more pleasant (less chaotic) for Barry and more useful for all of us.

I will be working that evening so I won't be able to participate live but if I could nominate one question to ask Barry (via Ken) it would be this:

What are the biggest challenges facing Estes right now and what are you doing to meet them?

I am curious to see what questions others would ask if they knew they only get to ask one question.

motley16
03-27-2009, 06:15 AM
I prefer products that are "well done" (done well).

Not "done before ready" (rushed out the door to meet a deadline instead of meeting a quality/reliability standard).

- George Gassaway
Dont we all . "rushed" and in a timely manner two different things. :) :)

cas2047
03-27-2009, 07:05 AM
I would be very happy with Ken moderating the questions. I think it might make the experience more pleasant (less chaotic) for Barry and more useful for all of us.

RD the other benefit of questions being submitted to you, and then having you post them one at a time, is that you could weed out the one or two that might not be ready for prime time.

It would make the whole process very orderly as well, with the first question posted followed by it's answer, the second question posted followed by it's answer, and so on...

Ltvscout
03-27-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm thinking there should be two separate threads. One where questions are posted (whether questions are asked ahead of time or on Monday to be decided) and the other where Barry posts his answers.

foose4string
03-27-2009, 07:59 AM
That's why I asked about the chat room. Sounded like Rocket Doctor wants live chat but done in a thread format. That doesn't work too well. I think it would get too confusing and bit overwhelming for Barry to say the least. Chat room wouldn't be any better, but would flow and allow for more questions to be answered. Easier to moderate. But, a chat room could get confusing and overwhelming too.

I like Gus' idea with the press conference style thread, where the questions are submitted ahead of time and RD can present them in an organized fashion. This will maintain some organization to the thread, keep it moving, and Barry won't feel as pressured with 101 questions all at once. It will allow those who can't be in attendance a fair shot at asking a question. It will afford everyone a better chance at getting their questions answered and a more positive experience for Barry. Scott's idea make sense too. Either way sounds good to me, but a free for all for two hours sounds hectic.

Rocket Doctor
03-27-2009, 08:18 AM
RD,

If every member of YORF is on the thread, and you ask for a question, suddenly the thread is 500 posts long!

Somewhere, there has to be a way to control the questions. A question que so that the thread isn't inundated with questions.

Personally, I like the suggestion where the questions are submitted before hand to you. You, acting as the moderator could then say "Our first question is from Gus in Michigan" and then Gus can type in his question to Barry. It's still live and we don't have everyone trying to post at the same time.

This is all going to be new to everyone, I will put it past Scott for his input, and , depending upon his thoughts, put it past Barry.

Now that I think about it, haaving the question submitted beforehand makes sense. But, if questions are submitted, I don't want the member to think that I am edicting them to protect anyone.

I am going to be neutral in this "Town Hall Meeting".

After I hear back from Scott, I will post what we will be doing.

Ltvscout
03-27-2009, 08:42 AM
I'm down in FL on vacation and don't have time to look for a good chat program and get it setup in time.

I think a separate thread for questions should be created. I also think that it would be wise to open it up for the questions to come in now. Although, my guess is that not all questions will be able to be answered by Barry in the timeframe he has available to him. By getting the questions ahead of time, Barry can dedicate his time to posting his answers right from the get go.

I'm confident that Ken and Barry will work on answering as many questions as they can within the timeframe provided. People should not expect Barry to answer proprietary or private type of questions. For example, don't expect him to post the chemical composition/formula for a B6-4 motor or what their profit margin is on a Big Bertha. ;)

foose4string
03-27-2009, 08:42 AM
This is all going to be new to everyone, I will put it past Scott for his input, and , depending upon his thoughts, put it past Barry.

Now that I think about it, haaving the question submitted beforehand makes sense. But, if questions are submitted, I don't want the member to think that I am edicting them to protect anyone.

I am going to be neutral in this "Town Hall Meeting".

After I hear back from Scott, I will post what we will be doing.

Actually, you can cut and paste the person's question word for word. They'll be no question as to whether it was edited(unless it needs to be). Saves you a bunch of typing also. Time saver. You'd type, "This comes from So and So" and then paste the question into the dialog box, submit, done. Wait for Barry to answer, then you go on to the next question.

Scott, the chat room is not necessary. That was merely a suggestion for the free for all that was proposed by RD. A thread will do just fine as long as it's well organized.

Ltvscout
03-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Actually, you can cut and paste the person's question word for word. They'll be no question as to whether it was edited(unless it needs to be). Saves you a bunch of typing also. Time saver. You'd type, "This comes from So and So" and then paste the question into the dialog box, submit, done. Wait for Barry to answer, then you go on to the next question.
Good idea. I ws thinking something along the same lines.

foose4string
03-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Scott do you have the ability to lock a thread in progress, but have it where only a few individuals are granted access to post? This would keep anyone tempted to post at bey until the questions have been asked and answered by RD and Barry. Then, you could unlock it after they are done to allow for discussion by everyone. Or a brand new discussion thread could be started by someone.

Ltvscout
03-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Scott do you have the ability to lock a thread in progress, but have it where only a few individuals are granted access to post? This would keep anyone tempted to post at bey until the questions have been asked and answered by RD and Barry. Then, you could unlock it after they are done to allow for discussion by everyone. Or a brand new discussion thread could be started by someone.
I'll look into that.

Rocket Doctor
03-27-2009, 09:07 AM

I just want to make it perfectly clear, this is not my Q & A session, I'm 2,000 miles away and I will NOT be answering any questions, this will be Barry's "show" not mine.

We are still working on the details yet.

foose4string
03-27-2009, 09:16 AM
I just want to make it perfectly clear, this is not my Q & A session, I'm 2,000 miles away and I will NOT be answering any questions, this will be Barry's "show" not mine.

We are still working on the details yet.

Oh, I understood completely. But, with your consent, was suggesting you to be the person to present the questions for everyone. We'd need a liaison. I thought that you would be the logical choice, especially since you know Barry personally, and the fact you set all this up. ;)

georgegassaway
03-27-2009, 09:27 AM
RD,

“What Gus is saying is.... “ (from The Right Stuff) :)

I agree almost completely, except I think it needs to go farther. Do not try to be so “free” about this that it turns into the anarchy or overwhelming mess that something like this could turn into. And I am not even talking about people trying to act badly, but you are wide-open for that to happen too.

I could see things like this playing out. Someone asks a question, Barry does not give as much of an answer as some would like, so in one minute 12 people all post a message essentially saying “answer the question!”. And when Barry does not (since it may involve one of many things that he could not provide more public information about), then another 87 people post more “answer the question!” messages. It would be a melt-down.

Something like this has got to be moderated.

Also, this is only 2 hours. In theory that sounds like a lot of time, in practice it is very SHORT since typing at a keyboard is a very inefficient way to communicate compared to talking. If it is a “Gus, now it is time for you to type your question” type of thing, then this assumes Gus is refreshing his browser every 10 seconds or so, because if Gus only did it once per minute, then a minute is wasted for Gus to even start to type a question, and that is going to take more than a minute. So minutes go by before Barry even gets a Question from Gus, never mind how long it takes for the answer to get typed from Barry’s computer.

That would be a very inefficient use of those two hours.

So please, take the questions from people in advance, so the time spent typing at a keyboard in those two hours is on Barry’s computer and not dozens/hundreds of other computers.

And I have no problem AT ALL with you looking at the questions and selecting the “top ten” best ones to ask first, and so forth, leaving the less useful questions for the end if there is time, and leaving the junk where it belongs.

I do not even think you want to do this on a part of the forum where everyone else can post. Because if you did leave it “live”(fully accessable for posting by everyone that is) so that if you could tell “Gus” to type their question...... are you 100% sure nobody else is going to jump in and make posts anyway? Could a special “room” or new forum be created for this, limited only to a few people to post in?

If not, if this is free for everybody to post in, what will stop anyone from barging in, and making disruptive posts? Suspend them later, or ban them later? That would not do any good for ruining this Q&A session. What if some had second accounts as true aliases so you’d never know who it was?

Also, everyone needs to realize this. No matter who it is, there will be questions that a person would not be able to give the complete answers you might want to know about. I would expect he will say some things about the possible sale of Estes, but do to expect a lot of details about all the things you would like to know. This is what I mean about how if this was “live”, and he answered part, but not all, some would be posting a lot of messages saying “you didn’t answer the whole question” and such.

He’ll answer whatever he can to a group of very knowledgeable rocketeers. But that does not mean that Rocket Doctor is having Barry injected with Truth Serum to force him to tell you everything. And by that I am not implying Barry will lie about anything, just that there are areas of business or business plans that anyone who runs a company cannot answer 100% to the public. I would rather him NOT answer a question than to give an answer that turned out later not to be true.

- George Gassaway

Rocket Doctor
03-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Oh, I understood completely. But, with your consent, was suggesting you to be the person to present the questions for everyone. We'd need a liaison. I thought that you would be the logical choice, especially since you know Barry personally, and the fact you set all this up. ;)

This has been quite an undertaking at best. I'm starting to get a headache. The final format is being discussed right now, and, I will post it here. It's not my decision how it will be set up, Barry want's it one way, and, there's not much that can be done about it. At least , he is willing to field questions.

lurker01
03-27-2009, 09:44 AM

I will be working that evening so I won't be able to participate live but if I could nominate one question to ask Barry (via Ken) it would be this:

What are the biggest challenges facing Estes right now and what are you doing to meet them?

I am curious to see what questions others would ask if they knew they only get to ask one question.

RD,

Are there not web conferencing hosting services such as WebX and the like that can handle the traffic?

We could just chip in and have live phone conference through AT&T or similar provider...

Scott could charge a $5.00 event fee to cover some if not all the costs?

Just some thoughts.

Bob

foose4string
03-27-2009, 09:56 AM
RD,

Are there not web conferencing hosting services such as WebX and the like that can handle the traffic?

We could just chip in and have live phone conference through AT&T or similar provider...

Scott could charge a $5.00 event fee to cover some if not all the costs?

Just some thoughts.

Bob

Bob, a thread can work. I know everyone would love to have the chance to speak to Barry personally, but a well organized, moderated, Q & A thread seems like the best way.

RD, no need for a headache. It's quite simple actually. I should think Barry would prefer the organization and planning, but if you say he doesn't, well.....

Rocket Doctor
03-27-2009, 11:03 AM
To my fellow rocketeers here on YORF, I want this to be fair to all members here. Thanks for your suggestions and input.

I have been on both side of the fence, now, there is weeds growing inbetween.

Like I have mentioned before, I have no input as to the questions or the answers.

And, as it has been metioned by a few members here. Barry will not answer personal questions, nor , will he answer questions that are confidential to the company .

Also, repeat questions would make no sense, nor, if an answer is given that you don't like, don't keep asking for a reply. We move onto the next question.

I have talked to Barry , and, he wants the thread type live Q & A, I tried to convince him otherwise , it's a no go.

We should all be happy that Barry has agreed to this in the first place.

All I ask is that both sides be courteous, civil, and non combatant.

Moderators will be standing by.

So, the original format will be used, I apologize to those who won't be able to participate, but, at least the opportunity exists for a Q & A session.

So. on Monday March 30th, I will set up a thread at 4pm Colorado time under "Ask the Doctor" and the title of the thread will be "Ask Barry".

And, I ask that only one question per member and keep it as brief as possible so all members have the opportunity to ask a question.

I thank everyone in advance for their understanding and remember, we are all rocketeers and hobbyists.

AKPilot
03-27-2009, 11:47 AM
This is a great opportunity Ken, so thank you again! I look forward to participating.

I would like to take one exception and do hope that Mr. Tunick realizes that not all of us are rocketeers and hobbyists, however with this step I hope he takes one further step towards becoming one.

Gus
03-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Ken,

I'm good with your plan and appologize for giving you a headache. ;) If Barry is comfortable with the format that's all that matters.

My thanks again for setting this up.

I'm really looking forward to the event.

Steve

foose4string
03-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Ken,

I'm good with your plan and appologize for giving you a headache. ;) If Barry is comfortable with the format that's all that matters.

My thanks again for setting this up.

I'm really looking forward to the event.

Steve

Ditto. Getting him here in the first place seems like a milestone, so thanks for that! Most members of the forum know how to conduct themselves(Bill , that goes for you too :D ), so that's probably not going to be an issue. It think most of us are anxious to hear what he has to say and just wanted to make the most of the opportunity.

Rocket Doctor
03-27-2009, 01:01 PM
This is a great opportunity Ken, so thank you again! I look forward to participating.

I would like to take one exception and do hope that Mr. Tunick realizes that not all of us are rocketeers and hobbyists, however with this step I hope he takes one further step towards becoming one.

Barry realizes that those here range from kids, grandkids,son's and daughters as well as adults and those in many professions.

I want to Thanks everyone again for their understanding in the format.

Monday will be here befroe we know it.
Thanks again

RD

barone
03-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Well, I'm going to be here watching....I'll probably not participate because I'll be rolling on the floor laughing so hard. Good luck.

foose4string
03-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Well, I'm going to be here watching....I'll probably not participate because I'll be rolling on the floor laughing so hard. Good luck.

Laughing at the chaos?

georgegassaway
03-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Does Barry really know that this is a web forum and not like a "chat", or "instant message"??

On Chats or IM's, when a person posts a message, you see it come up immediately. If that is what he is thinking, he's going to be in for a big surprise.

On THIS kind of forum, you will never see a new message until you refresh the web page.

Does he know he's going to need to refresh his web page a LOT in between writing his replies, to see the next question without lots of time being wasted in-between?

At the VERY least, whoever asks the questions ought to have them pre-typed, and do a quick cut and paste. If people just sit and type "live" once given the go-ahead to post the next question, it will be a significant waste of time. And if anyone does not know what they want to ask from now until it starts, as their reason not to type it advance, they don't deserve to be asking anyway.

There really needs to be somebody moderating this if only to say "Gus, you are next". If after Barry's reply it is "who's next?" without a planned queue sequence, you're going to get a dozen people posting that "next message".

And is there a limit on the questions? One per person? I hope so. Otherwise the first person could ask a laundry list of dozens of questions Barry would take 2 hours to answer.

Even given the fact of how Barry wants it, there is still plenty of room to have this organized so it can go somewhat efficiently. This is a great opportunity that should be made to the most use possible.

- George Gassaway

georgegassaway
03-27-2009, 01:39 PM
I do not think I'll ask anything. So I probably will not check it out until it's over, or nearly over. Why spend 2 hours reading (and waiting and waiting) something "live" that you could read later in about 10-15 minutes?

Of course this is also why I have Tivo and, except sometimes for news, I rarely watch anything "live" on TV anymore.... :)

- George Gassaway

Rocket Doctor
03-27-2009, 01:40 PM
As stated many times before, one question per member, brief. Question then an answer.

We are making a federal case out of this when we can make it work.

This is the way it's going to be, either particpate or not.

Barry will be here on Monday , answer questions and leave..........period !

Jeff Walther
03-27-2009, 04:57 PM

Just a thought. And thanks again for your usual good work

I think this is an excellent suggestion--or something similar.

Because it is a forum format, there's really no reason to do it in real time, unless you think that answers to one question will lead to follow up questions. The thread could be setup well ahead of time to allow folks to post their questions--of course, it risks degenerating into irrelevant discussion instead of questions but you run that risk anyway. At least a post-your-question-early gives time to discard the thread and start over if folks won't stick to the format.

EDIT: Ooops. I didn't wait to read all the great discussion that came later. Never mind.

mperdue
03-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Why don't you just collect the questions over the weekend, send them to him Monday morning and let him decide which ones he want to answer - then he can post the answers anytime during the day.

Rocket Doctor
03-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Why don't you just collect the questions over the weekend, send them to him Monday morning and let him decide which ones he want to answer - then he can post the answers anytime during the day.

Barry doesn't want to do that........
I have asked him that and he said NO.

Bob Kaplow
03-27-2009, 08:35 PM
ROE, hahaha. Don't fire until fired upon. :chuckle:

I hated that rule! :mad:

In this case, be civil. :D

Hey, do I get to ask him a question? Can it be about our last meeting :chuckle:

Seriously, I have to agree with Gus et al that a forum structure like this just isn't going to work for this. The constant refresh has already been mentioned. As has the "next question" after which 50 people will simultaneously post a question and we'll be buried right from the start.

If you really think this format will work, pick a time when you can have a couple dozen people test it out. The questions and answers can be gibberish, but see how the timing works. Or doesn't work. Better to find the problems before you get your one shot at doing this.

dwmzmm
03-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Hey, do I get to ask him a question? Can it be about our last meeting :chuckle:

Seriously, I have to agree with Gus et al that a forum structure like this just isn't going to work for this. The constant refresh has already been mentioned. As has the "next question" after which 50 people will simultaneously post a question and we'll be buried right from the start.

If you really think this format will work, pick a time when you can have a couple dozen people test it out. The questions and answers can be gibberish, but see how the timing works. Or doesn't work. Better to find the problems before you get your one shot at doing this.

Agreed; I'm not going to be able to be on hand "live" as by the time I get home from work
the two hour window will be almost up. However, I'm also concern about the possible crash
of the YORF server should there be an unexpected "surge" of log-ins during this period. As
some will say, "Always expect the unexpected."

Gus
03-28-2009, 02:01 AM
As the guy who brought up the original idea of a moderated discussion, let me say this. Ken has heard my suggestion and brought it to Barry who prefers to do it the way it was originally announced.

Barry's a bright guy, he has his reasons, and I am absolutely fine with that.

If it doesn't work too well, so what? It's hardly the end of the world.

The last thing Ken deserves at this point is to be hammered about the format. I know Ken takes these things to heart and we really need to lay off at this point. Ken's given us a unique opportunity to hear from the head of Estes which will be fun and informative, no matter how smoothly the format operates.

I'm grateful to Barry for being willing to participate, to Ken for conceiving the idea, and to Scott for providing the venue.

I'm looking forward to Monday.

mperdue
03-28-2009, 05:29 AM
-snip-The last thing Ken deserves at this point is to be hammered about the format. -snip-
Sorry Gus but there's a big difference between expressing concerns and "hammering" someone. The concerns that have been expressed are valid ones.

Mario

AKPilot
03-28-2009, 05:33 AM
Sorry Ken, as a point of clarification I was stating that Barry himself is not a hobbyist or rocketeer. If I recall correctly, he's never launched a single rocket. I sincerely hope that with this event I hope he comes closer to appreciating who and what our needs are.

Leo
03-28-2009, 08:06 AM

The last thing Ken deserves at this point is to be hammered about the format.

I completely agree.

Ken, thanks for giving this forum the opportunity for a very very unusual event!
All I can say is just to ignore some of the posts in this thread and do what you and Mr. Tunick have agreed to do.

I look forward to reading the thread Tuesday morning.

cas2047
03-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Ken - Your track record just keeps improving. :) First there was the Golden Scout event and now this. Thanks for your commitment and dedication to this wonderful hobby we all share!

I'm 100% sure that Monday's event will provide all of us with enough information to chew on for the next six months at least.

Thanks again for setting this up!

Bob Kaplow
03-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Agreed; I'm not going to be able to be on hand "live" as by the time I get home from work
the two hour window will be almost up. However, I'm also concern about the possible crash
of the YORF server should there be an unexpected "surge" of log-ins during this period. As
some will say, "Always expect the unexpected."

It's not a server "crash" I'm concerned with. I've been around these forum like things since the mid 80s (thank you Jim Flis!). Without some form of moderation or token ring style procedure, there will be multiple "collisions" every time someone says "who has the next question". With 10 or 50 or 200 people all posting at once, it WILL be chaos. And no one has yet decided how this will be resolved.

It will be really easy to set up a test with a couple dozen folks this afternoon or Sunday afternoon before the live event, and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Otherwise Monday afternoon will be total chaos.

Rocket Doctor
03-28-2009, 09:05 AM
The only thing that I can say is, we are giving this a try under the thread format.

Once again, this is what Barry wants, and, I can't change that.

Hopefully, if this goes well, we can schedule another.

I'm only the middleman here, I have no control over the questions nor the answers.

Bob, ask away...........

dwmzmm
03-28-2009, 09:09 AM
It's not a server "crash" I'm concerned with. I've been around these forum like things since the mid 80s (thank you Jim Flis!). Without some form of moderation or token ring style procedure, there will be multiple "collisions" every time someone says "who has the next question". With 10 or 50 or 200 people all posting at once, it WILL be chaos. And no one has yet decided how this will be resolved.

It will be really easy to set up a test with a couple dozen folks this afternoon or Sunday afternoon before the live event, and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

That's basically what I was saying in using the term "server crash." Since this event will
probably be over by the time I can get on the computer on Monday anyway, I'm just relegated to be content with reading what went on (like most will)......

scigs30
03-28-2009, 09:58 AM
It is what it is...................Can't wait for Monday. :rolleyes:

Garoq
03-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Maybe that's the idea.

mperdue
03-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Hopefully everyone will be on their best behavior and this thing will come off well.

Mario

foose4string
03-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Maybe that's the idea.

I was thinking the same thing.

AKPilot
03-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Hopefully everyone will be on their best behavior and this thing will come off well.

From personal, one-on-one, experience, it's Barry that should of be concern here . . .

foose4string
03-28-2009, 01:30 PM
We know he doesn't care for forums anyway. I'm actually a little surprised he agreed. For a company president to dismiss suggestions for better time management, good communication, and moderation that benefits everybody, it just doesn't make sense to me why he wasn't open to suggestions. This is not me making a federal case, or badgering Ken, as Ken did what was in his power to do. I'm just a little puzzled, that's all.

I hope it goes smoothly...it just might, you never know. I'm just hoping this isn't a setup for disappointment.

AKPilot
03-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Don't anyone get me wrong, I'm looking forward to having Barry on-line.

I too am concerned though, that if we can have 100+ users, posting questions simultaneously and yet only one person (Barry) answering them. We could bury, Barry within a matter of minutes.

georgegassaway
03-28-2009, 02:45 PM
I hope it goes smoothly...it just might, you never know. I'm just hoping this isn't a setup for disappointment.
I hope it goes well too. But hope is not the same as good planning. Maybe this planning is good enough. If not, well, the last person who should get upset over it going badly (if it happened) should be Barry, since he has turned down the attempts to make it run smoothly.

I still wonder if he knows this is not like a PM or "chat" room, he is not going to see any new posts without refreshing his browser frequently. And does he realize with no moderator there will be bunches of people posting in the same minute when he asks for the "next message". You do not have to be a model rocket scientist to see that problem, many here have.

I had some other ideas that we could have tried voluntarily which probably would not have broken's Barry's wishes. Just because he does not want it moderated does not mean "we" could not have organized a separate "queue thread", for example, to track who should go next (with everyone on the honor system not to break in line). But rather than get accused of trying to make a "federal case" out of it, I'm done.

- George Gassaway

evil ed
03-28-2009, 02:47 PM
We could bury, Barry within a matter of minutes.

Might want to rephrase this :rolleyes: .

evil ed
03-28-2009, 03:20 PM
I think there are some questions we should be asking ourselves right now:

1) Why now? Upper management at "Big E" have historically shown contempt, at best, toward any organized part of the hobby.

2) Who cares? History has shown that what the organized part of the hobby thinks matters little with what "Big E" is going to do or not do. Our influenence has been nonexistant.

3) Why here? There seems to be a lot of interest in "retro" designs lately.

4) who are you? For all we would know, it could simply be someone from P.R. on the other end, who has the directive to get the the chosen message/thoughts out to the masses.

It is my sincerest hope that there are no hidden agendas or ulterior motives, but with past experience, I have to side with the skeptics until I see otherwise.

I hope I am proven wrong.

ghrocketman
03-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Absolutely LOVED Gary's comment !!!!

Chaos to the extreme is what I envision will ensue.....

Mark II
03-29-2009, 04:39 PM
I think that everyone should stop working themselves up into a froth and just let the thing happen on Monday. Enough second guessing already. There will be plenty of time for post-mortems afterwards. Just let it go on as planned and deal with it.

MarkII

John Brohm
03-29-2009, 05:59 PM

Some general audience remarks, directed at no one:

The alternative is no communication with Estes/Barry, no interaction with the hobbyist. Will we be better off or worse off if Barry talks, or doesn't talk? In my case, the manner in which I choose to prosecute my interest in this hobby has little to do with what Estes says, or with its history; it could be affected, however, by what Estes actually does.

It's certain the forum event will be less than hoped for in some ways, and more than expected in others. Probably not all of the questions will be answered to everyone's satisfaction; the forum format ensures that not even all of the questions will be addressed. We have a hobby group that carries a lot of resentment over marketing choices that seem not to address our sector very well, yet from a commercial point of view, Estes' management may very well have good reasons for making the choices that they have.

Will all of this be resolved? Who knows? At least it's an opportunity for Estes to address the community - let's see what Estes has to say, and why they think they need to say it now. Must be some message there.

The market space that Estes chose to vacate has created the opportunity for a whole new generation of suppliers and manufacturers, the combined output, product choice, and in many ways quality, is more focused for the hobbyist than what we had access to many years ago; many of these new companies wouldn't exist if the conditions still existed for Estes to be the dominant player. I'm not interested in re-creating model rocketry from 30 and 40 years ago; I'm interested in taking advantage of the higher quality, greater diversity, and extensive information resources to do not only what I could do 30 years ago but also a number of things that I couldn't do back then. Other than providing a grumble for us to chew on, how has Estes' behavior actually affected us?

It's highly unlikely that Estes will return to being the rocketry panacea that they appeared to be when we were kids, and it's equally unlikely that they will restore the product line that is so well preserved in our memories, and in the collectible catalogs that so many of us possess. They don't have to, nor do they need to. Instead of getting "even" with a past that has little relevance at this point, I'd rather see and hear what Estes actually plans to do going forward. The past is behind us, and any discussion of it, apart from maybe helping us accurately document some history, won't change it. The history I'm interested in is the one that Estes chooses to make going forward.

Nope - never worked for them, never owned stock in Damon, don't know Barry or his staff, and only met Vern recently. Just a model rocketeer that appreciates how much more he can do in this hobby now than what he could years ago. And those improvements have come about in spite of Estes.

West Shore Rockets
03-29-2009, 10:10 PM
I think there are some questions we should be asking ourselves right now:

1) Why now? Upper management at "Big E" have historically shown contempt, at best, toward any organized part of the hobby.

2) Who cares? History has shown that what the organized part of the hobby thinks matters little with what "Big E" is going to do or not do. Our influenence has been nonexistant.

3) Why here? There seems to be a lot of interest in "retro" designs lately.

4) who are you? For all we would know, it could simply be someone from P.R. on the other end, who has the directive to get the the chosen message/thoughts out to the masses.

It is my sincerest hope that there are no hidden agendas or ulterior motives, but with past experience, I have to side with the skeptics until I see otherwise.

I hope I am proven wrong.

That first one would be my exact question. Why is Estes now, after all these years, suddenly care what the hobby community thinks? Barry himself has shown nothing but contempt for this community. Now, all of a sudden, he cares what we think? This sounds like a very lame attempt to show potential buyers that they have the support of the hobby community, and that this support will easily transfer to the new owner.

sandman
03-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Perhaps Barry is just frustrated with the economy and trying to accomodate the big box store and after pacing the floor at night has decided that this is his only alternative.

Go back to the hobby's basic roots. The hobbyist, the guys and gals that really made the hobby what it is.

I mean us! The old farts that started with the space race.

Gawd, I sound like a freakin' Pollyanna! :o

Forget I said that.

The jurry will please disregard sandman's last statement.

West Shore Rockets
03-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Perhaps Barry is just frustrated with the economy and trying to accomodate the big box store and after pacing the floor at night has decided that this is his only alternative.

Go back to the hobby's basic roots. The hobbyist, the guys and gals that really made the hobby what it is.

I mean us! The old farts that started with the space race.

Gawd, I sound like a freakin' Pollyanna! :o

Forget I said that.

The jurry will please disregard sandman's last statement.

My friend, if you actually believe that, I have a bridge in New York for sale, real cheap.

sandman
03-29-2009, 10:47 PM
My friend, if you actually believe that, I have a bridge in New York for sale, real cheap.

Actually I was just casting a lure to see if anybody out there actually likes Barry.

"Father I know there is good in you!"

Sunward
03-29-2009, 10:58 PM
As Monday tends to be my busiest day and I already have 2 appointments, it looks like I won't be able to hang around for the thread. I will try to pop in, but I doubt I will be able to stay around a long time.

In case there is a lack of questions, perhaps I can offer some that can be asked by those who don't have any:

1) Can you officially confirm the following:
- CPSIA - even with the one year stay of enforcement, all third party testing, where required, for your company's products, has been done.
- product is shipping from your warehouse

2) iHobby October 2009: Your company did appear at last year's event. Do you plan to appear this year? Would you be open to a get together of rocket related companies during the event? It seems that I may be by myself this time.

3) One complaint I keep hearing from hobby shops is the price disadvantage they are at. They keep complaining their cost for your products is about the same as the retail price of big companies (Walmart specifically mentioned). There are also complaints about large distributors selling directly and competing with them directly. As a result, many store have cut back heavily on rocket selection, or intend to discontinue the entire product line completely. I do understand you do business with these large companies, but do you view this as a concern or something to be addresses in the near future?

4) E motors - currently not available here. Any chance your company will pay for the testing so they can be sold?

5) Although there have been no banks or insurance companies here that have gone under or in trouble like some of those too big to fail, banks have become a little worried and made lending harder. As a result, in order for Sunward to purchase your company, would you consider a no money down, 100% Vendor Take Back loan at 1% interest for a term loan of 25 years?

Mark II
03-29-2009, 11:12 PM
That first one would be my exact question. Why is Estes now, after all these years, suddenly care what the hobby community thinks? Barry himself has shown nothing but contempt for this community. Now, all of a sudden, he cares what we think? This sounds like a very lame attempt to show potential buyers that they have the support of the hobby community, and that this support will easily transfer to the new owner.
I don't know much about the history of this relationship. That could perhaps be a discussion for another day; I certainly don't want to hear about it right now, though. I do think that in today's economic climate, the long-term commitment of the hobbyist/enthusiast market is nothing to sniff at. We will continue to buy rocket kits, motors and accessories no matter what the Dow is doing. We may not be large in numbers in an absolute way, but we can be counted on as customers, as long as a company offers products that reflect our priorities and that help us achieve our goals. It only takes a quick sampling of this and other forums to figure out what those kinds of products would be. Therefore it is not surprising that a company such as Estes-Cox, which has most of us as part of its customer base, would want to have some sort of communication with us, regardless of any recent history of the relationship. I wouldn't try to read anything more into tomorrow's event than that. Isn't this kind of contact something that we have been requesting for quite awhile now? If we poison it, all we will accomplish is insuring that none of our questions will get answered, and that attempts at communication like this will never happen again. Let's participate in this thread in good faith, and see what we can learn.

Can we all agree to put the snarkiness away for one day? I mean, really...

MarkII

Gus
03-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Barry himself has shown nothing but contempt for this community. Now, all of a sudden, he cares what we think? This sounds like a very lame attempt to show potential buyers that they have the support of the hobby community, and that this support will easily transfer to the new owner.Yep, the company this guy is a principal owner of (as in, it's his own money on the line) produces 95% of the motors used for all the hobby rocketry flights in the country. His company produces 95% of all the hobby rocketry kits sold in the country. This is a guy who actually has a sizeable manufacturing and sales infrastructure to support and he's trying to negotiate a faltering business climate, declining mass market product penetration and evaporation of the hobby market retail sales outlets.

I know there are those on these forums who think this hobby would be a hundred times more popular with the public if Estes had just kept producing some favorite kit from 1975, but I don't buy it.

While I question many of the choices Estes makes I try to keep in mind that they've been the principal agent keeping this hobby alive for the last 30 years (or longer). The fact that starter kits and motors are available in every corner of the country is Estes doing. That a parent can walk into Walmart anywhere in the country and buy a starter kit with a launch pad, controller, rocket and instructions for less than $20 is fabulous and amazing. To accuse the CEO of Estes of "nothing but contempt" for the model rocket community seems pretty outlandish.

Mr. Tunick agreed to participate here because Rocket Doctor asked him to. To ascribe some fiendish ulterior motive to his visit here is just overwrought and rude.

foose4string
03-30-2009, 12:30 AM
To accuse the CEO of Estes of "nothing but contempt" for the model rocket community seems pretty outlandish.

I agree, that's a bit extreme. He loves us when we buy and burn Estes motors and buy multiples of the same kit. ;)

Mr. Tunick agreed to participate here because Rocket Doctor asked him to. To ascribe some fiendish ulterior motive to his visit here is just overwrought and rude.

yeah, there's absolutely no reason to think otherwise. :rolleyes: There are reasons why some might ascribe to that, but I'll let it rest.

I'll be at ball practice with the kids tomorrow evening, but look forward to a good read when I get home.

mperdue
03-30-2009, 05:14 AM

Agreed. Sometimes answering questions is just answering questions. There's no need to create conspiracy theories over this. I don't know if I'll be around tonight but I do look forward to reading what the man has to say.

Mario

gpoehlein
03-30-2009, 07:11 AM
OK - I've resisted commenting here until now, but I would like to weigh in before the event. I don't know if I'll be able to attend - I have to work this afternoon/evening and will probably be tied up a good part of the time.

I'd just like to remind everyone that we do have an opportunity here to give Barry some idea of what our segment of the hobby community would like to see out of Estes. So, as Ken said - BE CIVIL! We won't get anywhere if someone with an axe to grind jumps in and starts accusing Barry of eating babies, kicking dogs and/or cats or similar things. If you don't have something constructive to say, just sit on your hands and read the thread. In a similar vein, let Barry know what we think Estes has done right in the last few years. Kits like Der Red Max, Interceptor and Interceptor E are a really good start. The new Classic Series is another really good thing - We need to encourage Barry to follow through on this line.

Likewise motors. Reintroducing the A8-0 and A10-0 are really welcome in these days of diminishing launch field size. But don't beat a dead horse - I know most of use would love to see B14s come back, but it WON'T happen so no reason to even bring it up. C5s and B8s might be a different story.

Remember that, first and foremost, Estes is a company that needs to make a profit to continue to operate. Ask questions that acknowledge this while still answering our needs on the hobby side of the equation.

That's all I got.

Greg

evil ed
03-30-2009, 08:23 AM
While I do think there is more intended than meets the eye, I doubt there is anything sinister intended.

Mr. Tunnick is a BUSINESSMAN. Estes is a BUSINESS.
When the environment changes, an organism (Estes included) must:
A) adapt,
B) migrate,
or
C) die.

His company has been able to adapt and migrate in order to survive. RTF models and launch kits have succeded in putting food on peoples' plates as well as putting rocket engines on the shelves.

While we all mourn the OOP-ing of any motor as if it were a dear friend, we still have a lot of motors to choose from. As long as they sell RTF, they sell motors. As long as they sell motors, we buy motors. And it was good.... :)

Estes still produces non RTF rockets and is planning to add to the current offerings. If the line-up of kits does not change and evolve, the company dies. While I may miss the Astron Mark and Sky Hook of my youth, I doubt if Mr. Tunnick is willing to pay the price (monetary or otherwise) of having Mrs. Tunnick roll body tubes on the kitchen floor.

At this time, we thrive because they survive. Without us, they still survive.

Who knows? He may have ulterior purposes. If so, I hope one of them is to announce new motors using the new propellant. That new stuff might make a mean, new B-14!

Rocket Doctor
03-30-2009, 09:17 AM
I have patiently sat back and read the comments made here.
The observations of Gus and John Brohm are right on target.
There are no hidden agenda's here.
Estes does follow the forums.
In my opinion, by Barry coming on this forum, has nothing to do with any pending sales of the company.
It seems to me that Estes has been the target of negative criticism forever, they may have not done everything that could be done, but, at least they have tried, It's a very hard marketplace for this hobby and any business in general.

Inorder for this to work smoothly, I ask that only one question per member, short and sweet.
Barry will post his answer and then we will go on from there. It was also suggested that a different type of format be used, This was a last minute decision and time was at hand.
Compare this to any Q & A session, not all questions are given and answered.

We all need to sit back and take a deep breathe and think positively.
I have advised BOTH sides to be civil, courteous and stay on topic Estes, no personal attacks, name calling etc.

Hopefully, this will educate us to what is going on at Estes.

Like I have previously mentioned, I will post a new thread at 4pm Colorado time "Ask Barry" under this heading, one question and answer at a time, don't open up the flood gates.

Also it was mentioned that a computer crash was planned, no so, I know Estes wants to participate and doesn't want not to.

I will have no further comments here, my head is spinning from all of this. So, tune in at 4pm Colorado time this evening and lets all be patient and learn from this Q & A session from Barry.

And, there will be no fill in, it will be Barry himself, no PR person........

Jeff Walther
03-30-2009, 09:56 AM
While I question many of the choices Estes makes I try to keep in mind that they've been the principal agent keeping this hobby alive for the last 30 years (or longer). The fact that starter kits and motors are available in every corner of the country is Estes doing. That a parent can walk into Walmart anywhere in the country and buy a starter kit with a launch pad, controller, rocket and instructions for less than $20 is fabulous and amazing.

It is especially impressive when one considers the ever-shrinking access to usable launch fields, the public's continuing obsession with safety uber alles, and the fact (is it a fact, I think I heard this) that kids just don't engage in outside activities as much. Although I suspect the third is at least partly a result of the first.

Oh, and those stinkin' environmentalists planting trees everywhere. I can't count how many great rocket fields I've found, except they were full of pesky trees.

ghrocketman
03-30-2009, 11:19 AM
The best solution to a pesky tree is a LARGE CHAINSAW !!!!!

rokitflite
03-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Oh, and those stinkin' environmentalists planting trees everywhere. I can't count how many great rocket fields I've found, except they were full of pesky trees.

Yeah! Wouldn't it be great if all of the trees just went away!

GregGleason
03-30-2009, 01:45 PM
It may be a stretch but I will say (post) it:

As Estes goes, so goes the hobby

In my point of view, the entry point for most rocketeers is via Estes. Therefore, not only do I want Estes to survive, I want them to grow the hobby. Most of my modrocs in my current fleet are Estes. Why? That is what was in the store at the time, it was affordable, and it was a good value for the money. The products of Estes (and Centuri) were a way, for those of us old enough to remember, to participate in the space program (those were the days, and I wish my children could have experienced it). To a large degree those days are gone. Times are different now (at least the physics haven't changed) and my hope is that Estes will continue, for future generations.

DWolman
03-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Did I miss something here? I didn't tune in for the "live" chat, but came to read through the Q&A afterwards - I see the questions that were posted in a separate thread, but I can't find any responses from Barry Tunick.

Did the chat happen? If so, what happened to the thread or conversation?

Thanks

tbzep
03-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Did I miss something here? I didn't tune in for the "live" chat, but came to read through the Q&A afterwards - I see the questions that were posted in a separate thread, but I can't find any responses from Barry Tunick.

Did the chat happen? If so, what happened to the thread or conversation?

Thanks

Read the first post in this thread....change of plans.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=65604&postcount=1

DWolman
03-31-2009, 10:06 AM
I guess it helps if I read the whole thing, I was jumping ahead looking for answers...

Thanks

Rocket Doctor
03-31-2009, 02:22 PM
The whole format had changed over the w3eekend, q;uestions will stop today, with two days for Barry to respond to 50 questions out of all submitted. Probably,the answers will be posted on Thurs or Friday. stay tuned.......

jdbectec
03-31-2009, 06:01 PM
The whole format had changed over the w3eekend, q;uestions will stop today, with two days for Barry to respond to 50 questions out of all submitted. Probably,the answers will be posted on Thurs or Friday. stay tuned.......

I think that is reasonable, after all he does have a business to run!