PDA

View Full Version : new string - WINTER PROJECTS

Green Dragon
10-16-2005, 08:23 PM
hey, it's not my fault, Don said it first.. lol ..

on second hand, maybe I did say it first.... hmmm....

anyways, here's the new string so pple can elaborate on what's waiting for winter, and maybe what's " rush and finish now before winter" ;-)

for me... many in the 'paint if the weather ever breaks' stage, some need sanding and more sealer, many primed - humidity dosn't seem to make primer 'blush' like painting :-)

projects include (in various stages as noted, but most to the 'finishing' stage :

Magnum Hornet
Laser
Sunbird
Zebra II
Multi-Roc
Semroc Scorpion
Rogue
TK-31 Star Blazer
Mark II
Vector V - restoration of my vintage one
Maxi Streak restoration.
'Semroc' Thunderbird

just finished my Astro Bee clone,and my 2250 replica,plus the Mosquito and MRC Starfire clone, so a few got painted in the breaks in the clouds.

huge pile waiting for winter ( lol, don;t we all have that problem, with the excuse of 'winter projects' ? )
not sure where to start, lol .. just got my BMS order in so have parts for more * evil grin *

Estes Gemini Titan,
AAA American Dream clone
Sunward Gravity Rider,
pair of Estes Challenger II clones (or Enerjet 1340's ) from my recent Longshot aquisition, Skytracer clone (pcs cut),
Star Speeder,
Attack Craft Orion (started, excellent nosecone by Mike at Moldin' Oldies :-),
mini Shuttle (original fins,anyone working on the decals for this one ?),
Scrambler 2 clone (same ? re: decals, can't do the white myself )

hmm, various oldies I'd like to restore like my deteriorating Constellation, and my Sea Strike D ( decals unfortunately not to be found ).

7.67" ultra-scale Goblin
4.0" Black Brant 3
finish the 2.6" upscale Sting Ray to go with the other two from the 'mini-tri-pak',both awaiting paint.

and on and on and on, lol...... figure it will take me two lifetimes to finish the 'want to do' pile and that list keep growing.

~ AL

sandman
10-16-2005, 10:37 PM
I'm working on a new scale kit development project.

This one will be big and will fly on 4 E9's

I have to play with the numbers a bit yet but it'll be way cool! :D

snaquin
10-17-2005, 03:51 PM
and on and on and on, lol...... figure it will take me two lifetimes to finish the 'want to do' pile and that list keep growing.

~ AL

I feel your pain Al. That's quite a list you have there. I've only built one rocket since the start of this years active hurricane season and as far as humidity it's like a greenhouse here pretty much all year round. Good paint days are few and far between.

Now if that tropical storm Wilma will just stay away I may even get to launch this coming Saturday ..... but I do resign myself to get some stuff built this winter too.

stefanj
10-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Stuff I'm definitely going to work on:

* Booster stage for my Oracle Carrier.

Stuff I really should do:

* Replacement plastic fin can for my Gemini Titan II. Also fix motor mount and paint repaired shroud!

* Decals on Deep Space Transport

* Rollbar on Centuri Jaguar clone

* Sand, maybe paint (if weather allows) Centuri Explorer clone.

* Paint Semroc Swift.

* Package up for auction: part-kits for Centuri Aero-Dart Mark II, Oracle Carrier.

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-18-2005, 05:02 AM
Fly on occasion. :)
Finish the World Federation Star Probe.
Finish the Torellian Invader.
Finish the Andromeda, Orbital Transport, Shrox Icarus and Interceptor II that I started in 2001.
Centuri ESS Raven clone.
Build a Vector V upscale with Semroc parts.
Restore the Centuri SSV Scorpion.
Go back and figure out what all of the BMS cones I bought years ago were supposed to be for.
Finish the Cosmik Debris. :cool:
SELL MY &%^$@*& HOUSE!

Tweener
10-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Finish Thunder Roc clone,
finish Goony Roc,
finish Crazy Diamond,
finish Vulcan & X-24 Bug clones (trying a 10 mil photo paper this time),
start Semroc Laser-X,
decide what to do with extra Baby Bertha (build or bash?). :rolleyes:

Phred
10-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Oooohhh the project list..... lets see...

to Finish (paint):

Scratchbuilt Scale Aerobee 100 Jr
SPEV
Two scratchbuild models that my nephew designed
Deepspace transport
Little Joe I
Scratchbuilt rear ejection lander type model
Mercury Goonstone
Streak rebuild (again!)
Micro Maxx Black Brant Vb

partitally built:
several new goony designs
4" Goonybird
BT-80 V2 'Blossom'
Upsclale SPEV

New projects
BT-70 based Little Joe II flight A-004
MMI clone of the Aerobee Hi

I am sure tha here are more I cannot think of right now...

barone
01-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Okay, this became my winter project. I really didn't expect to finish it so soon but the weather here has been so great :D !

This was a really easy build. The laser cut parts all fit perfectly. The only things I needed to sand to get to fit were the balsa adapter and nose cone. The plans were easy to follow and detailed enough that a novice could build this rocket (oh yeah, I did :rolleyes: ).

Some things for you guys who plan to build it but haven't started.......

1. The thrust ring is flush with the foward end of the motor tube.
2. Consider adding a 29mm motor clip for retention (I thought of this after I had assembled my motor mount). The 29mm motor mount comes configured for friction fit but the other two optional engine mounts have motor clips.
3. Don't glue the upper section to the adapter until after you paint.
4. Some of the decals are big. It takes a while to get them positioned correctly (okay, not my best aptitude :( ). But the decals are pretty thick so they don't tear easily. Some soapy water will help with the positioning without too much grab.

The basswood fins don't take much to get a smooth surface. I used Kilz primer (one coat) and got a really good finish. I think I could have used it on the body tube to fill the spirals even. The balsa adapter and nose cone was done with Elmer's wood filler.

Now, if the weather stays nice enough to finish my Laser-X...........

Don
NAR 53455

Tau Zero
01-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Fly on occasion. :)
Build a Vector V upscale with Semroc parts.
SELL MY &%^$@*& HOUSE!*Dude,*
You got at least these last two accomplished. :D ;) :cool:

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-10-2006, 10:36 PM
*Dude,*
You got at least these last two accomplished. :D ;) :cool:

--Jay

True, and if the weather doesn't thwart me, I'll have accomplished all three. The SLS Vector V paint has become something of a PITA, as has the Shrox Icarus. I think I need to relearn some painting rules and techniques. :rolleyes:

Eagle3
01-11-2006, 07:00 PM
This list scares me. *LOL*

Waiting for decals
Qmodeling Mars Snooper II
Estes Cherokee D
THOY Thuria

Waiting for paint
Original Design Pulsar
Semroc Firefly
Semroc SLS Javelin
Semroc SLS Jaguar
Semroc Thunderbee
Semroc cc:Black Widow
Semroc cc:Sprite
Semroc 137% Centuri Stiletto
Quest Nike Smoke
Centuri Vulcan (nose cone)
Estes LTV Scout
Maxi Screamer (2)
Scale Kits Apex
Estes Cobra clone
Qmodeling Stiletto
Barclone MiniLoader
Rokitflite USS Odyssey
Shrox SHX Starshuttle

In Work
Maxi Marauder (level 2 project)
NCR Avatar
NCR Aegis X
Launch Pad Perseus II
Launch Pad FLAIL
PDR Starlight
Qmodeling Rogue
Semroc cc:X-21
Semroc cc:Space Plane
Semroc Squire
Semroc Aerobee Hi
Semroc SLS Laser X
Centuri Orion clone

In Repair
Maxi Mosquito
NCR Tempest
Centuri Long Tom
Maxi Sting Ray
Estes Strikefighter
Estes Interceptor

Contemplating
Centuri Quasar clone
Estes Trident clone
Estes Orbital Transport clone
Estes Interceptor clone

CPMcGraw
01-11-2006, 10:59 PM
This list scares me. *LOL* (A great list snipped for brevity...)

I've got rockets in so many different phases of construction, I'm scared every time I walk into the room...

There's an Estes Omega clone that's been sitting patiently (or maybe it's just ignoring me, sulking...) for over three years. Balsa fins are sealed, but it's not even primed...:eek:

There's also the Centuri Magnum Hornet clone that's been in primer for well over a year...

And, not to forget, an Estes Avenger clone that needs to be sanded and reprimed, having only sat for as long as the Omega without primer...

I think I can count at least a hundred and fifty or more that need to be finished. Period. And sadly, of course, most of them will still need finishing this time next year...

I can at least say my Orbital Transport is finished, and has flown once... I still have both sections intact...:)

My Cherokee Double-D still needs the first coat of primer and a big enough field to fly it in...

The oldest, built but unfinished kit in my collection? A semi-original Estes Pathfinder (I had to rebuild the lower section due to a poor finishing attempt...) that is at least 16 years old, with only the upper section in primer...:(

Second oldest, built but unfinished, is an Estes TEROS. It is in primer, though...

I don't even want to talk about the BARCLONEs that just need to be flown the first time...

If I could finish 12 a month, I might be able to get things under control... :rolleyes:

...And if someone would just get me out of this long-sleeved white jacket first...:p

barone
01-13-2006, 07:11 PM
After seeing what you guys have sitting around and waiting, I don't feel so bad. I've got rockets built and ready for priming and detailing but I'll grab another kit and do it instead. Right now, I'm working on my MRC Trail Blazer that has been built for five years. All I have left to do is get the recruits and payload section painted and decals applied. But, alas, the weather has taken a nasty turn. So, I'm back to building my Custom Rocket fleet (up to kit 1006). But, my wife wants me to finish the kitchen remodeling..... :(

Don
NAR 53455

six-o-one
02-05-2006, 03:20 PM
My little addition to this thread would be my BT-55 upscale of the Quest Navaho AGM (so maybe we can actually SEE it leave the pad). I've been very slow on this one, and only this morning used Elmers Fill'n'Finish to seal the fins. This is the first time I have used this stuff (been stuck in the dark ages using SIG sanding sealer but decided to lengthen my life expectancy). Looks like this Elmers is great. Once they are sanded and attached, it will be down to finally buying a BNC-55 in some configuration that I can sand into the shape of the original Quest NC. Couple of not-so-standard build methods on this one, but I think it will look, and hopefully fly, great.

HighPowerKid
02-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Estes Patriot
LOC Isis
LOC Big Nuke
Apogee SR-72 Darkbird
Homemade launch controller

Photos of these projects will be on my site very soon.

ghrocketman
02-05-2006, 04:36 PM
I just can't break the habit of using good ol' dope sanding sealer or balsa fillercoat for finishing nose cones & fins. The only thing that I use fill n' finish for is body tube spirals.
For some reason, to me, it just isn't right building a model rocket without the dope smell somewhere in the process.

Of course it helps that I have over a case of pints of both Sanding Sealer and Balsa Fillercoat.
And yes it is original REAL Pactra Aero Gloss !!!!
If it doesn't use good old fashioned "Vapor Harmful" organic chemistry in the mix, it just plain is NO GOOD ! :p :p :rolleyes:
I buy the stuff up whenever I see an ebay auction.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-05-2006, 10:58 PM
My 1:1 Estes Screamer clone is ready for priming tomorrow, but I ran into a little problem on the Apogee and the Drifter. I'm completely out of centering rings, one of those little blind spots that we sometimes develop. (This makes two for me. I also forget launch lugs and usually remember as I'm approaching the pad.) I used a cut down length of 13mm engine for the engine block on the Screamer, so that one will most definitely fly next weekend. I'll have to dig though the stack of kits I've already opened and see if any of them can "donate" their rings for the cause. :rolleyes:

CPMcGraw
02-05-2006, 11:17 PM
My little addition to this thread would be my BT-55 upscale of the Quest Navaho AGM (so maybe we can actually SEE it leave the pad)...it will be down to finally buying a BNC-55 in some configuration that I can sand into the shape of the original Quest NC...

I'd stick close to the 55AC as an upscale cone. The Quest cone for their T-50 has a rounded tip, but otherwise matches what is called the Secant-Ogive curve, which is what the 55AC is called. The 55AO (Vigilante, Comet, Goblin, etc...) is a Tangent-Ogive, and doesn't look anything like the Quest cone. You'd be closer in appearance if you just rounded the 55AC tip off...

JRThro
02-06-2006, 06:55 AM
My 1:1 Estes Screamer clone is ready for priming tomorrow, but I ran into a little problem on the Apogee and the Drifter. I'm completely out of centering rings, one of those little blind spots that we sometimes develop. (This makes two for me. I also forget launch lugs and usually remember as I'm approaching the pad.) I used a cut down length of 13mm engine for the engine block on the Screamer, so that one will most definitely fly next weekend. I'll have to dig though the stack of kits I've already opened and see if any of them can "donate" their rings for the cause. :rolleyes: I keep finding myself opening kits to scrounge motor hooks and things like that. If I'm not careful I'm going to have a really nice collection of opened, incomplete kits.

Either that, or I should find someplace to store the parts I already have, so I can easily see what's in my stash and won't have to open kits as often.

Doug Sams
02-06-2006, 03:48 PM
I've got rockets in so many different phases of construction, I'm scared every time I walk into the room... I was there a while back, but I hid them all, and now I feel much better :)

Seriously, I made myself stop beginning new projects, and finish some old ones. Right now I'm down to details such as shock cords and decals on a few, with only a couple needing more work.

2-motor clustered Saran wrap tube, repair of broken fin from NSL in Hearne. Just needs "Saran" decal. (Can't remember if I have one, or need to get another sheet made up. Wanna give Phred a try this time.)

Clustered BT-70 Midget upscale - 3 motors to 3 motors - Thridget - Done, prepped, waiting for burn ban to be lifted.

Clustered BT-70 Midget Upscale - 3x18's and 1x24 to 1x24. Done, prepped, waiting for burn ban to be lifted.

ST-20 Midget upscale with electronically airstarted upper stage. Timer is built, but test equipment iffy. Emulator worked, but wouldn't program MCU. Alternate programmer for alternate MCU seemed to work, but MCU didn't. @#$%! Got tired of debugging the test equipment - prefer debugging the staging timer - so copped a new system. Got it Friday. It's for the STMicroelectronics ST7 series MCU's. The part is a 16-pin DIP, 5V, 1K byte of flash, and ISP. I think I can hack the timer board to take it. <fingers crossed>

Upscale Avenger for SRS gassers. Nose, forward payload and striped sections done. Aft section filled twice, awaits sanding and primer. Hope to have ready for NTHP Feb 18-19.

Custom Trident in way back of cabinet, waiting for primer. Will probably still be there next year at this time.

Custom Aztec with 10.5 mm motor sustainer awaiting primer. Also in way back of cabinet.

Scratch built BT-20 2-stager for 10.5mm motors also in way back of cabinet. Needs filling,
priming, and enthusiasm.

EC Thunder, converted for RC (RC Thunder?). Needs filler coats, sanding, and finish coats. Hiding on ceiling of garage. But coming up in queue real soon (at least that what I tell myself.)

Li'l Dougie. Just finished. Needs burn ban lifted. http://home.flash.net/~samily/lil-dougie

Edit: Forgot to mention: Super BETTER Bertha. White applied. Need to add fin can color - will use navy blue instead of box art red. Will also add red nosecose. Then it will be patriotic. BETTER refers to motor section: 1x24, 4x18, 4x13. That will add some excitement.

Unstarted
-----------
Whole bunch of MR and HPR tubes, lots of MR nosecones, rings, etc, to be started. Plans on my brain (currently) are for a Farside or Farside X, maybe another upscale Midget, this time 2.6" or 3", with mid-power or HPR motors.

Several boxes of unopened kits including 1/100 SatV and 1/100 Sat-1b. Edmonds DeeCee, Deltie and Geminee thunder kits, just perfect for RC. Several fun MR's including the X-prize kits. A seven-motor Rubicon is a must. Have - what else - multiple 2-stagers including Estes Echostar and Hercules, and Quest Navaho. Tango Papa 3.9" Mars Lander and several Estes Outlanders.

Coming up soon, real soon
------------------------------
If I can get the staging timer going, I plan to build a 3" rocket with a central 29mm motor and 6 outboard 18mm motor. The outboards will be airstarted, 2 at a time. Should make for a nice, low altitude, technologically interesting flight :)

Doug

JRThro
02-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Li'l Dougie. Just finished. Needs burn ban lifted. http://home.flash.net/~samily/lil-dougieDoug,
That is really cool, both in name and appearance!! I can't wait to hear how it flies. We're waiting for burn bans to be lifted down here as well.

Bob Thomas
02-06-2006, 10:16 PM
A favorite oldie has just been finished. I posted this rocket's older brother (20+yr old) pictures a while back and I had been wanting to upscale it since. The popularity of the Quest Navaho AGM made me think this design would still be appreciated. With last weeks warm weather, I actually was able to spray paint and finish. Well, enough about the why, here's a few pics of a 130% upscale (series 13) with a D engine mount. Thanks for the parts, Carl. Now to get back to the Kits waiting for building...

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-06-2006, 10:55 PM
A favorite oldie has just been finished. I posted this rocket's older brother (20+yr old) pictures a while back and I had been wanting to upscale it since. The popularity of the Quest Navaho AGM made me think this design would still be appreciated. With last weeks warm weather, I actually was able to spray paint and finish. Well, enough about the why, here's a few pics of a 130% upscale (series 13) with a D engine mount. Thanks for the parts, Carl. Now to get back to the Kits waiting for building...

Beauty. This was my second choice when I did my Vector V upscale with Semroc parts a couple of months back. I always thought the 1:1 Nomad was a cool design and thought it would look good on the pad next to my Centuri Scram Jet clone, which I recently repaired. Got a parts list handy for the upscale? I need to make another Semroc order soon, just to replenish my supply of centering rings if nothing else, and I'd like to gather the parts for one of these.
Are you planning to do a review for EMRR?
This reminds me. I need to build another 1:1 Vector V for scale purposes. I like the side by side pics. :cool:

CPMcGraw
02-07-2006, 01:55 PM
I was there a while back, but I hid them all, and now I feel much better :)

Seriously, I made myself stop beginning new projects, and finish some old ones. Right now I'm down to details such as shock cords and decals on a few, with only a couple needing more work.

That's my real problem, too, starting a bunch and then not getting to the finishing work. The bulk of my "to do" list is made up of completely-built-but-unfinished rockets.

ST-20 Midget upscale with electronically airstarted upper stage. Timer is built, but test equipment iffy. Emulator worked, but wouldn't program MCU. Alternate programmer for alternate MCU seemed to work, but MCU didn't. @#$%! Got tired of debugging the test equipment - prefer debugging the staging timer - so copped a new system. Got it Friday. It's for the STMicroelectronics ST7 series MCU's. The part is a 16-pin DIP, 5V, 1K byte of flash, and ISP. I think I can hack the timer board to take it. <fingers crossed>

Is this a pre-built board that you're adapting, or is a scratch-built circuit you're working with? Is the programmer's manual for this chip available online?

Doug Sams
02-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Is this a pre-built board that you're adapting, or is a scratch-built circuit you're working with? Is the programmer's manual for this chip available online?Craig,
It's a scratch built board. I was gonna use a Freescale (nee Motorola) MC68HC705J2 MCU, then an MC68HC705J1A, both 20-pinners, and both OOP but in stock in my attic :) Now I'm using an ST7FLITE09Y0B6. I understand the Mot part numbering scheme, but not the ST, so I don't know exactly what all those characters mean. (And I only work at ST :) )

Anyway, here's the datasheet:http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/8348/st7lite09y0.pdf

I haven't found a programmmer's manual per sé, but chapter 12 covers the instruction set. It's ~68HC05 architecture, and I pretty much have that ingrained in my brain, so I can just about get by on chapter 12 alone. If I get hung up, I know some applications engineers to pester :)

More info:
Product page: http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/8348/st7lite09y0.htm
Other ST7 lit: http://mcu.st.com/mcu/modules.php?name=mcu&file=familiesdocs&FAM=15

BR,
Doug

CPMcGraw
02-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Craig,
It's a scratch built board...

I haven't found a programmmer's manual per sé, but chapter 12 covers the instruction set. It's ~68HC05 architecture, and I pretty much have that ingrained in my brain, so I can just about get by on chapter 12 alone.

I found the OpCode data at a lower level of the site, but thanks. The first thought that came to my mind was how it reminded me of 6502 codes (old Commodore habits die hard... Merlin 64 :eek: ). So being a 6800-descendant makes sense...

I think I know what I'm going to work on as a future BARCLONE project. A full-house flight system for one of those Double-D upscales.

It's been a long time since I've done any Assembly programming. Hopefully it's like riding a bicycle...:rolleyes: