PDA

View Full Version : Centuri range box-outrageous pricing on ebay

Rocket Doctor
04-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Check out these two listing on ebay for a Centuri range bos.

This one is going for $350.00 330319604836

The other one is starting out at 199.00 or "Buy It Now" for $999.00 120402410361

Aren't we in a recession???

Domminigan
04-10-2009, 09:30 PM
It's denial.

The range box that sold for nearly four hundred has the buyer option of getting the Astro-1 starter kit that came in it.
Sold (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330319604836)

The other guy has an inflated idea of what his box of parts is worth.
Box 'o Parts (http://cgi.ebay.com/Centuri-Model-Rocket-Box-with-Parts_W0QQitemZ120402410361QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120402410361&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318)

tbzep
04-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Check out these two listing on ebay for a Centuri range bos.

This one is going for $350.00 330319604836

The other one is starting out at 199.00 or "Buy It Now" for $999.00 120402410361

Aren't we in a recession???

As I mentioned in a couple other threads, he originally had the "Empty Box" for sale on eBay as a complete starter set. Sealed Astro-1, Sealed Servo Launcher, original Ray-O-Vac photoflash D cells, all the papers, and the motors. Somebody reported it and eBay pulled the auction. Within a day he put the empty box auction in order to be able to sell it. If you read between the lines of the auction description, you can tell he's trying to let buyers know that it will come with the stuff in the pulled auction.

mycrofte
04-11-2009, 02:27 AM
At that price the box better come with some darn good drugs inside too!

Ltvscout
04-11-2009, 08:38 AM
At that price the box better come with some darn good drugs inside too!
Actually, for a collector with money that is probably close to the value of that set. I've never seen one of those old starter sets in that condition show up on eBay.

Here are pics of what was being included in that "empty box."

InFlight
04-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Actually, for a collector with money that is probably close to the value of that set. I've never seen one of those old starter sets in that condition show up on eBay.

Scott, are those pics from his first auction that was pulled?

Ltvscout
04-11-2009, 09:56 AM
When he re-posted I emailed him and asked if he was still including all of the contents, this was his reply, "Hi Scott.. all of the contents previously displayed will indeed come with the box. Send me your email and I'll send those pics to you.
-dennis"

I got the link of the pics from him. Here's the link:

http://tinyurl.com/c2p873

If you choose to download the pics you'll get full hi-res images vs what I uploaded.

dwmzmm
04-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Heck, if I had the money to burn I would buy that :( . BTW, those Sure Shot igniters, the famous "brown stick" is probably no good; I still have a bunch of Sure Shots from back in
"those days" and they're unusable (the brown stick has, well, basically "fallen apart" and
are no good).

Royatl
04-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Heck, if I had the money to burn I would buy that :( . BTW, those Sure Shot igniters, the famous "brown stick" is probably no good; I still have a bunch of Sure Shots from back in
"those days" and they're unusable (the brown stick has, well, basically "fallen apart" and
are no good).

All of my Sure Shot sticks are in perfect condition (most held in a plastic prescription container), and just last year I obtained at least six packs (in glassine envelopes -- appears to be from motor packs) that are in excellent condition as well. You must've stored them oddly, or maybe they had some weight on then?

dwmzmm
04-11-2009, 11:41 AM
All of my Sure Shot sticks are in perfect condition (most held in a plastic prescription container), and just last year I obtained at least six packs (in glassine envelopes -- appears to be from motor packs) that are in excellent condition as well. You must've stored them oddly, or maybe they had some weight on then?

Yes, they've been inside/outside and stored in those red/white/blue Centuri matchbox
engine packs. I use to "hoard" those Sure Shots back in the late 1970's/early 1980's as
I used those brown sticks for flash bulb cluster ignition (loved the way it looked when that
bright flash signaled ignition was pending!).

kurtschachner
04-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Those photo-flash batteries are worth the price by themselves :D

Royatl
04-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Yes, they've been inside/outside and stored in those red/white/blue Centuri matchbox
engine packs. I use to "hoard" those Sure Shots back in the late 1970's/early 1980's as
I used those brown sticks for flash bulb cluster ignition (loved the way it looked when that
bright flash signaled ignition was pending!).

That's what I saved them for, as well (I was there when John Langford developed FCI back in '70-'71). Unfortunately, I only have four flashbulbs left, but do know of a couple of sources if I need them. Our launch systems, though, have gotten so good at firing clusters that I don't see a need to use them.

dwmzmm
04-11-2009, 11:53 AM
That's what I saved them for, as well (I was there when John Langford developed FCI back in '70-'71). Unfortunately, I only have four flashbulbs left, but do know of a couple of sources if I need them. Our launch systems, though, have gotten so good at firing clusters that I don't see a need to use them.

The Quest Q2G2 igniters should be excellent; I've use their original Q2's for the past several
years with excellent results (no misfires) and, before that, QuickBurst's Hot Shot (before the
ATF issues put a stop to my ordering them).

Ltvscout
04-11-2009, 12:10 PM
There was just an auction for a Robby's Rockets (now deceased) canister ejection system on eBay that sold for $20. I forgot to put my bid in before it closed. It included a whole bunch of boxes of flashbulbs.

Ltvscout
04-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Those photo-flash batteries are worth the price by themselves :D
I've got a few of them, but they're obviously for display only. They no longer have a charge.

kurtschachner
04-11-2009, 02:43 PM
The Eveready 497 was the king of photoflash batteries. I once saw a flash that used two :eek: of them, what a hoot.

Sorry for the digression.

I've got a few of them, but they're obviously for display only. They no longer have a charge.

tbzep
04-11-2009, 09:15 PM

Yep, he had all those pics on the auction, but I don't remember if they were that high a resolution.

I've got a couple of photo flash Ray-O-Vacs that came with the servo launcher I found on eBay a while back.