PDA

View Full Version : Funny eBay People

tbzep
04-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Recently an old Centuri Saturn V was listed on eBay. Bidding closed the day before yesterday at about $76 dollars with the reserve not met. The seller relisted it the item yesterday with a starting bid of $150 and somebody's already bid on it. I guess it looks more collectible with a really high starting bid. :p

Ltvscout
04-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Recently an old Centuri Saturn V was listed on eBay. Bidding closed the day before yesterday at about $76 dollars with the reserve not met. The seller relisted it the item yesterday with a starting bid of $150 and somebody's already bid on it. I guess it looks more collectible with a really high starting bid. :p
I've not seen that phenomenon, but I have seen things listed that didn't meet reserve, then get relisted the same way and sell for way over the reserve the following week.

jflis
04-12-2009, 06:44 AM
More than anytihng it depends on who is watching what, when.

Heck, I picked up a camera one time for $500 while the exact same camera was going for over $600 in another auction, at the same time, and with active bidding still going on.

Go figure :)

tbzep
04-12-2009, 08:25 AM
More than anytihng it depends on who is watching what, when.

Heck, I picked up a camera one time for $500 while the exact same camera was going for over $600 in another auction, at the same time, and with active bidding still going on.

Go figure :)

I've done the very same thing on several occasions. :rolleyes:

As for who was watching the Centuri Saturn V, I think the high bidder now, was a bidder on the previous one. Hard to tell with first/last letters and numbers, but I think I remember seeing o*****5 on the other one.

sandman
04-19-2009, 10:29 PM
OK, I posted one of my BT-60 sized Pershing 1a's here on the YORF auction site twice.

Instant purchase price of $38.

No takers after 2 weeks. :(

I put it on Ebay for $35 for the starting bid. No bids until late today.

Then with one minute to go I see $41.

OK, that's better than the $38 I normally sell it for. :cool:

I go check the bid history then back to the item and the bidding is over...I took a while checking the old bids.

Closing price $102.00!!!

WTF?

WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?

OK, maybe this guy is new to ebay and just thought it was something else so I check...

He has a feedback of 579 at 100%...hmmm...he's not new at this. :confused:

I recheck the listing...it say A BT-60 version...OK, that seems clear.

The finished model stands 18" tall...OK I did that right, I put 18 inches not 18 feet...that seems clear :confused:

Now guys, don't get me wrong, I am not unhappy. :D

BTW, I have a couple more at the regular $38 price but if you want to pay more... ;)

It's crazy I tell ya, just crazy!

rokitflite
04-19-2009, 11:04 PM
OK, I posted one of my BT-60 sized Pershing 1a's here on the YORF auction site twice.

Then with one minute to go I see $41.

OK, that's better than the $38 I normally sell it for. :cool:

I go check the bid history then back to the item and the bidding is over...I took a while checking the old bids.

Closing price $102.00!!!

WTF?

WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?

OK, maybe this guy is new to ebay and just thought it was something else so I check...

He has a feedback of 579 at 100%...hmmm...he's not new at this. :confused:

I recheck the listing...it say A BT-60 version...OK, that seems clear.

The finished model stands 18" tall...OK I did that right, I put 18 inches not 18 feet...that seems clear :confused:

BTW, I have a couple more at the regular $38 price but if you want to pay more... ;)

See... Thats why, when I want to MAKE money, I use Ebay. The first Fake Wulf kit I put up went for $90+ dollars! I sent the guy 2 for what he paid for that one (I felt too guilty to just send the one at three times what I charge) and he has since bought more from me. :)

garmtn
04-20-2009, 04:43 AM
Please clarify, this is a completed kit rocket or unbuilt? Thanks

sandman
04-20-2009, 06:01 AM
This was a complete kit.

Nose cone, nose weight, body tube, motor tube, recovery system, nylon parachute, waterslide decals, everything except paint and glue.

tbzep
04-20-2009, 08:17 AM
The Centuri kit that closed at $7 6 without meeting reserve and was relisted starting at $150 sold for over $200 this time.

Jeff Walther
04-22-2009, 04:54 PM

Closing price $102.00!!!

Ebay is like that. I do not like Ebay for various reasons, but it is where the buyers are. So, if you're a seller, it's the place to go.

Most of my selling has been in computer related equipment, and I used to do that just fine in the appropriate news groups (UseNet). Ebay makes a big deal about security, blah, blah, blah, but my exchanges on UseNet had a reliability that was actually slightly better than my experiences on Ebay. In both cases the vast majority of folks were honest and reliable.

Anyway, I resent Ebay because what I used to do for free and without idiot rules, now costs me fees. True, I can still go and post things for sale in comp.sys.mac.wanted if I wish. But the buyers aren't there any more. They are all over on Ebay, so that's where I reluctantly go.

I mentioned this in a Free for All thread, but a couple years ago I designed some circuit boards and had a couple hundred made. Then I soldered chips to them, creating 16 MB SIMMs of a type which only work in the Mac IIfx (ca. 1990). They're installed in sets of four. Ignoring my labor, my cost was about $10 per set of four. The first set of four sold on Ebay for almost $300. I almost fell out of my chair. I was guessing maybe $50.

Zeus-cat
04-25-2009, 11:54 AM
The real answer is that people are stoopid. I use that at work a lot.

luke strawwalker
04-25-2009, 09:49 PM
I've seen that on Ebay too... I usually get a good laugh or two leafing through the listings over there... sometimes I bid and sometimes I win, and get a good deal because I don't go nuts... I bid on a ROTW over there last year and bid up to like $50, but that was as far as I'd go... I think the one I was bidding on went for like $90-100 bucks, which I thought was NUTS, but I saw another copy that went for- Are you ready??-- $376 BUCKS!!!! That's just totally INSANE!!!

I've seen that a lot at real auctions, though, not just on the internet... I go to farm equipment auctions now and then looking for 'junkyard deals' as that's about all I can afford #1, and because I use mostly older smaller equipment that goes cheap at auction #2. Still, I'm AMAZED at some of the "p!ss!ng matches" that get going at auctions... I bid and bought some stuff at an auction, and afterwards I had backed my truck up and was loading up. Another guy backed in beside me and was trying to load a spinner/seeder into the back of his truck, so I lent a hand. Now I had seen this seeder get sold since it was right next to the stuff I was interested in and bought, and it's an older common seeder/spinner that you can buy at any TSC store for about $250. If you want a real nice one with parts support, you can pick up a brand new one at most farm equipment dealers for about $400. This guy got 'bidder's fever' and bid the thing up to $350 and won, but he could have gotten just as good a spreader, NEW, for less money, or a deluxe model for only about $50 more at any dealer... and his WIFE was NOT ABOUT TO LET HIM FORGET IT!!!! Poor sap must have had to listen to the battleaxe for a month about that, because she was SO PO'd she wouldn't even get out of the truck and help him load it, which is why I did... that and so he'd go on home and I wouldn't have to listen to her griping while loading my stuff...

First rule of any auction... know what you're bidding on, and HOW MUCH IT'S WORTH, both actually and intrinsically... there are some things I'd pay fairly big money for despite it's low ACTUAL worth, because it can do a job that I need done better than anything else, they aren't made anymore, etc... to some folks that seems stupid, but if it's what I NEED, it's worth more to me while it may be 'junk' to someone else... and there is some stuff that people WAY overvalue (like new cars) that simply AREN'T worth what they're charging for them (same with new farm equipment... the old stuff is WAY better and WAY WAY cheaper...) Just depends on the situation and how bad one guy wants to sell and how bad the other one wants to buy... but if you don't have an idea of what YOU are willing to pay for it, and stick to it, you'll get burned more often than not in auctions... sometimes some fool or other will bid something up that I need, and if it's still REASONABLE I'll probably bid up, but you've got to have a 'cutoff' in mind when you say to yourself "that's just a STUPID price" and walk away... which I've done too...

Takes all kinds ya know... :) OL JR :)

Mikus
04-27-2009, 12:21 PM
I've seen that on Ebay too... I usually get a good laugh or two leafing through the listings over there...

I've been getting a kick out of watching all these Pershing Maxi-Brute kits coming out of the woodwork on ebay all of a sudden. Now there's some kind of crazy. :chuckle:

tbzep
04-27-2009, 04:21 PM
I've been getting a kick out of watching all these Pershing Maxi-Brute kits coming out of the woodwork on ebay all of a sudden. Now there's some kind of crazy. :chuckle:

One went for over $300 this weekend.

barone
04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
So, I guess Estes is about to re-issue it...... ;)

ghrocketman
04-28-2009, 08:57 AM
The Estes Pershing is the one Maxi Brute I wish they would re-issue as this one was by far the best, excepting the K29 Saturn 1B and K36 Saturn V.
They should re-issue it with PRE-SHAPED WOOD fins, not the thin GARBAGE plastic fins the original came with.
It is my understanding that this has never been re-issued due to the tooling for the nose cone was destroyed somehow, just like the 1/45 scale Little Joe II Apollo capsule.
Most of the other Maxi-Brutes (Colossus, Maxi Alpha, Maxi Alpha 3, V2, Honest John, X-Wing) I could not care less about.

Mikus
04-29-2009, 10:31 AM
One went for over $300 this weekend.

Two in the last week went for close to $400. I thought Barry said the Maxi-Brutes were being reissued in the Letters to Barry thread, but you know how that goes. :confused:

tbzep
04-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Two in the last week went for close to $400. I thought Barry said the Maxi-Brutes were being reissued in the Letters to Barry thread, but you know how that goes. :confused:

Yep. $389 to be exact, for one of them anyway. I was watching it just to see how it ended. eBay Pershing II. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120406662394)

Mikus
04-30-2009, 08:37 AM
The next Pershing went for $395. It jumped $120 in the last 10 seconds. :chuckle:

There's another one coming up in 3 days. It's only at $152.50 right now. :D

Ebay Pershing Maxi-Brute (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130302706526)

Yep. $389 to be exact, for one of them anyway. I was watching it just to see how it ended. eBay Pershing II. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120406662394)

sandman
04-30-2009, 09:00 AM
If you want a smaller one there is also mine. :rolleyes:

This is my last one for a while.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=280339626215

I'm busy working on Nike Hercules kits...
then Soyuz kits...
then maybe some Nike Ajax kits...
then maybe some LTV Scout kits...
then maybe some Vostok kits...
then maybe some Scud kits...
then maybe some Little Joe II kits...

or maybe even something new. :rolleyes:

Oh, yea...some decals too! :D

Mikus
05-01-2009, 08:56 AM
If you want a smaller one there is also mine. :rolleyes:
Oh, yea...some decals too! :D

Heh I figured that was you, hopefully somebody will bid yours up that high. Betcha you'll make some more if that happens eh? ;)

Now about those decals... I went out to the Excelsior website last night thinking I'd put a shopping list together. I should have really and meant to do it before the transition but real-life reared it's ugly head and I never got to it before Phred sold. :(

Will you be changing the decal sets that will be available? If not, any chance you could put up the lists and just disable the ordering? Just wondering. :D

sandman
05-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Heh I figured that was you, hopefully somebody will bid yours up that high. Betcha you'll make some more if that happens eh? ;)

Now about those decals... I went out to the Excelsior website last night thinking I'd put a shopping list together. I should have really and meant to do it before the transition but real-life reared it's ugly head and I never got to it before Phred sold. :(

Will you be changing the decal sets that will be available? If not, any chance you could put up the lists and just disable the ordering? Just wondering. :D

The last Pershing 1a model I posted on Ebay went for over $100 but the guy was happy as a Larry according to his feedback he left so who knows what this one will bring. I just need an influx of cash since i just sent all mine to Phred. If you check you'll see I have a bunch of stuff on Ebay ending Sunday.

I hope to make more Pershings but man, I have so many things going on right now my head is spinning. This is the last one I have for now.

The check went out to Phred this morning so hopefully some time in the middle of next week he will ship everything my way.

Then I have to set it all up and get it working! :eek:

Please, please, give me some time to do all of this.

The only change to the existing decals sets I am going to make is to add more and more. Phred is sending me all of the files so hopefully I won't lose any.

Mikus
05-01-2009, 07:10 PM
No sweat, I was just hoping to see the list so I can reference them on Ninfinger to see what I want. :) Most of the old website didn't have pictures. It'll wait.

Please, please, give me some time to do all of this.

The only change to the existing decals sets I am going to make is to add more and more. Phred is sending me all of the files so hopefully I won't lose any.

mperdue
05-01-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm into vintage audio equipment and awhile back I was looking for a good TEAC 10.5" reel to reel tape deck. One day there were a few of the model I was looking for listed so I started tracking a couple of them. I picked one of them up for $175.00 plus about $50.00 shipping. About an hour after I closed on that purchase I noticed another one that I was tracking sold for $950.00 - the same model except that it was listed as not working. Go figure.

Mario

arlblaster
05-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Why dont people like this bid on my stuff!!!

Im thinking some funny business is goin on....

I picked one up last week for $66

http://cgi.ebay.com/Estes-Mercury-Atlas-EST-2111-Factory-Sealed-Box-1-35_W0QQitemZ370197603707QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item56317f257b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Ken

cas2047
05-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Why dont people like this bid on my stuff!!!

Im thinking some funny business is goin on....

I picked one up last week for $66

http://cgi.ebay.com/Estes-Mercury-Atlas-EST-2111-Factory-Sealed-Box-1-35_W0QQitemZ370197603707QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item56317f257b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Ken

This is a good case for not having the bidder ID's masked. It would be nice as a bidder to see if any of those other bids are being placed by repeat bidders on the sellers previous auctions.

Whenever I see something going that high it makes me wonder whether there are any shill bids being placed. On the other hand I'm sure there are people out there willing and able to drop three or four hundred bucks on the kit.

rokitflite
05-24-2009, 09:23 PM
This one is better and it looks like the same bidder:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Estes-Centuri-Saturn-V-New-in-Box-unopened_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ2567QQihZ016QQitemZ260411868371QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVWQQsalenotsupported

arlblaster
05-24-2009, 09:47 PM
And the same bidder bought one of these...Kinda cool,I might pick one up also.

Ken

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330331565175&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=260411868371&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%252BP%252BS%252BIA%26itu%3DFICS%252BUFI%252BUA%252BIA%252BUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D10

arlblaster
05-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Hey....Someone throw a Semroc Saturn 1b up with a BIN of about $500... Ya might get lucky.

arlblaster
05-25-2009, 10:51 PM
I couldnt resist...I bought one,along with the crawler. Aught to look awesome when its finished,if I dont screw it up...

Ken

And the same bidder bought one of these...Kinda cool,I might pick one up also.

Ken

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330331565175&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=260411868371&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%252BP%252BS%252BIA%26itu%3DFICS%252BUFI%252BUA%252BIA%252BUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D10

wilsotr
05-26-2009, 09:08 PM
I just bought one of these in 1:70 scale for my Apogee Saturn. Anyone have any experience putting one together? The huge roll of beautifully printed cardstock that comes in the box is a little daunting!

wilsotr
05-26-2009, 09:13 PM
This one is better and it looks like the same bidder:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Estes-Centuri-Saturn-V-New-in-Box-unopened_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ2567QQihZ016QQitemZ260411868371QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVWQQsalenotsupported

There must be TWO bidders out there for the prices to be driven up that high ......... really makes you wonder.