PDA

View Full Version : WM Sustanables pricing

Rocket Doctor
04-12-2009, 12:28 PM
The new Sustanables by Estes is currenlty an exclusive to WalMart.
There are going to be 10 kits total that will be intergrated into the WalMart selection over the coming months.

There will usually be 4 kits on the shelf at any given time with price points at:
$5.96
$6.96
$7.96
$9.96

The first 4 kits on shelf are (all standard engines)

7201 Taser Twin (2 stage balsa kit - $5.96)
7206 Star Stryker (clear payload - $6.96)
7207 Crossbow (smaller version of the Satellite Interceptor - $7.96)
7208 Richocet ($9.96)

The new kits are on shelf now (or should be very soon )The same group of kits will run at least 3-4 months before changing over to the next round of kits which are:

7202 Comet Chaser (paper tube payload)
7203 Equinox ( sort of a Navy anti-sub chaser)
7209 Space Eagle (a slightly different version of the Super Neon)
7210 Vector Force (large 28" rocket)

There are also 2 other kits coming called the 7204 Fusion X25 and 7211 Plasma Probe, but these won't be seen until later this year, probably in the fall.

Each kit features balsa nose cones/tube adapters, laser cut balsa fins and either a parchute or streamer recovery......and all are compliant with HR4040.

snaquin
04-12-2009, 03:05 PM
I'll look for them but I hope the Wal-Mart in Hammond, LA will stock Estes. They haven't had any Estes in stock since I moved here in November but I'd like to get the 7202 Comet Chaser so I hope the new kits are coming soon to this location.

They did remodel the store over the past couple of months and rearrange the shelves and locations of almost everything in the store. I'll start checking at the Wal-Mart in Baton Rouge when I'm there as well.

Thanks for the info RD.

Rocket Doctor
04-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Steve

Go to vendors, under the topic of More new products from Estes, photos are listed there.

dwmzmm
04-12-2009, 04:17 PM
I'll look for them but I hope the Wal-Mart in Hammond, LA will stock Estes. They haven't had any Estes in stock since I moved here in November but I'd like to get the 7202 Comet Chaser so I hope the new kits are coming soon to this location.

They did remodel the store over the past couple of months and rearrange the shelves and locations of almost everything in the store. I'll start checking at the Wal-Mart in Baton Rouge when I'm there as well.

Thanks for the info RD.

Steve, back when I lived in Natchitoches in the early 1980's, I use to drive down to Baton
Rouge to fly model rockets with some friends (we flew at what was called Independence
Park), the nearby Cortana Mall had a SUPERB hobby shop that had tons of stuff from Estes,
Centuri and other famous vendors of those days. I made many of my (soon to be OOP)
purchases there. Not sure if that hobby shop is still there....... :confused:

Carl@Semroc
04-12-2009, 05:06 PM
The new Sustanables by Estes is currenlty an exclusive to WalMart.
There are going to be 10 kits total that will be intergrated into the WalMart selection over the coming months.

There will usually be 4 kits on the shelf at any given time with price points at:
$5.96
$6.96
$7.96
$9.96

7208 Richocet ($9.96)

The new kits are on shelf now (or should be very soon )The same group of kits will run at least 3-4 months before changing over to the next round of kits which are:

7202 Comet Chaser (paper tube payload)
7203 Equinox ( sort of a Navy anti-sub chaser)
7209 Space Eagle (a slightly different version of the Super Neon)
7210 Vector Force (large 28" rocket)

There are also 2 other kits coming called the 7204 Fusion X25 and 7211 Plasma Probe, but these won't be seen until later this year, probably in the fall.

Each kit features balsa nose cones/tube adapters, laser cut balsa fins and either a parchute or streamer recovery......and all are compliant with HR4040.Ken,

Where are you getting this stuff? This is great stuff. I can not find it anywhere else on the net. Even Alice did not know about this!

Are you a spokesman for Estes-Cox again or are they just using you to leak information? I assume they want this information to become public. Barry would have probably used Scott to get the word out, so this must have come from someone else inside Estes-Cox or Wal-Mart.

I know. Are you Doctor-X? I have noticed Rocket Doctor and Doctor-X are never online at the same time. :chuckle: I had thought Doctor-X was Mike Dorffler when he signed up back in August, but from his recent posts, that does not make sense anymore. Like you, Doctor-X does seem to know a lot about the inner workings of Estes-Cox, but if he is employed by them, he would have disclosed that unless he did not want his management team (or Barry) to know. Maybe he is on double-secret probation. :D

Rocket Doctor - Doctor-X. Hmmm..... :confused: I love puzzles. Is there another Doctor in the house?

foose4string
04-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Disciples, Carl. ;)

Estes=God
Barry=Jesus(course one could argue Vern is-such is religion)
Doctors=Diciples

Spread the word.

Gus
04-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Just thought I'd repost Buzz's images here so folks don't have to go hunting.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~buzznau/images/wal-mart01.jpg
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~buzznau/images/wal-mart02.jpg

Carl@Semroc
04-12-2009, 07:40 PM
What does "one step" away from "Made in the USA" production mean? Is this a marketing term or a legal term? I have not seen it used before this flyer.

It could mean it was made in Canada or Mexico since they are one step away. Or it could mean everything except one of the production steps was done in the USA.

Gus
04-12-2009, 07:42 PM
I have to say I'm really impressed at the kinds of kits that are going into Walmart. I thought the retraction in product we've seen there over the last year was a harbinger of bad things to come. But I'm ecstatic to see I was wrong.

These are great kits, at an amazingly low price. A kit that a kid can really build which retails for $5.96 available in every nook and cranny of the country??? Kudos to Estes. This is superb.

Rocket Doctor
04-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Ken,

Where are you getting this stuff? This is great stuff. I can not find it anywhere else on the net. Even Alice did not know about this!

Are you a spokesman for Estes-Cox again or are they just using you to leak information? I assume they want this information to become public. Barry would have probably used Scott to get the word out, so this must have come from someone else inside Estes-Cox or Wal-Mart.

I know. Are you Doctor-X? I have noticed Rocket Doctor and Doctor-X are never online at the same time. :chuckle: I had thought Doctor-X was Mike Dorffler when he signed up back in August, but from his recent posts, that does not make sense anymore. Like you, Doctor-X does seem to know a lot about the inner workings of Estes-Cox, but if he is employed by them, he would have disclosed that unless he did not want his management team (or Barry) to know. Maybe he is on double-secret probation. :D

Rocket Doctor - Doctor-X. Hmmm..... :confused: I love puzzles. Is there another Doctor in the house?

Carl

I am NOT an employee of Estes, or a contract employee. I was aked by their marketing manager to post this information.

I didn't post the original information as Gus has posted, so, I didn't have an exclusive here.

Rocket Doctor and Doctor X are two different individuals, you did a search of the members and found out where Doctor X lives, I certainly don't live in Colorado and have no desire to.

The original "Rocket Doctor"

Leo
04-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Ken,

Hobby Lobby seems to have more Estes items than WM, at least that's my experience.

How does Hobby Lobby fit in place with the new kits that Estes is bringing to market?

Davidtmp
04-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Seems to me these Wal-Mart kits could be exclusives to Wal-Mart, but you won't find the Classic kits coming out there. I would bet hobby shops, Hobby Lobby, and Michaels would carry more of those kits. IMO
I like the looks of these new kits, will have to get some. This is a great buy for getting some kits for my kids at a cheap price. Give us something to do together and he can call a kit "his".

Doug Sams
04-13-2009, 03:00 PM
I like the looks of these new kits, will have to get some. This is a great buy for getting some kits for my kids at a cheap price. I'm more psyched about this series than anything I've seen from Estes since I BAR'd in 1999. There have been a few good ones here and there - the Outlander comes to mind - but the stuff I see coming this year (fingers crossed) seems to have lots of winners and will definitely be added to my stash.

Doug

Domminigan
04-13-2009, 03:50 PM
I hate walmart, but if they have these kits, off I go.

Gus
04-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Ken,

Any idea where the name "Sustainable Kits" came from?

Seems like an odd choice of name for a product line.

Steve

Shreadvector
04-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Google.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sustainable&btnG=Google+Search

Ken,

Steve

Ltvscout
04-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Ken,

Yet more liberal crap. Someone had noted earlier that the new buyer for WalMart is a young tree hugger. Estes apparently needed to comply with this weenies wishes for them to continue their business relationship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainability

sandman
04-13-2009, 04:01 PM
What does "one step" away from "Made in the USA" production mean? Is this a marketing term or a legal term? I have not seen it used before this flyer.

It could mean it was made in Canada or Mexico since they are one step away. Or it could mean everything except one of the production steps was done in the USA.

Or it could mean that all the parts are made in China but if it's sold at Wal-Mart and some kod (or his dad) builds it , then building it is the "Made In the U.S.A." step.

Doug Sams
04-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Yet more liberal crap. I was gonna say European http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

My company, in its internal propaganda, uses the term "sustainable excellence". Definitely marketing boule sheet. In our case, they wouldn't know what excellence was if it jumped up and bit them in the @$$, so how in the heck they could ever hope to sustain it, I'll never know.

Doug

Shreadvector
04-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Anyone planning to launch any "Sea Kittens" in either of those payload models?

;)

Ltvscout
04-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Anyone planning to launch any "Sea Kittens" in either of those payload models?
;)
:chuckle:

Gus
04-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Fred,

Thanks for the tip. I kind of already knew what the word "sustainable" meant. ;)

The reason I asked is it seems to be a name with zero marketing value.

I wonder if it came from Estes or Walmart.

Bill
04-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Google.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sustainable&btnG=Google+Search

Oh...I thought they could be readily staged with the addition of a simple booster to be sold later...

Let's all hope WalMart will stock zero delay motors anyway.

Bill

Doug Sams
04-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Let's all hope WalMart will stock zero delay motors anyway.Of the four rockets RD listed, the 7201 Taser Twin is a 2 stage kit. So they'll be carrying boosters for that. Hopefully that will include the recently announced A8-0's.

Doug

Rocket Doctor
04-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Ken,

Hobby Lobby seems to have more Estes items than WM, at least that's my experience.

How does Hobby Lobby fit in place with the new kits that Estes is bringing to market?

The Sustainables are an exclusive to WalMart.
I'm sure that the Classic Seeries will show up sometime in Hobby Lobby.
Pricing in Hobby Lobby is different than at WalMart.

Rocket Doctor
04-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Ken,

Steve

I have no idea where that name came from. I first learned about this line from the post under the "vendors" section and inquired about it.

As you can see from the "sell sheets" these are mainly a recycleable rocket product. I guess it's considered a "green" product since most everyone is getting on the "green" bandwagen.

Ltvscout
04-13-2009, 06:06 PM
I guess it's considered a "green" product since most everyone is getting on the "green" bandwagen.
Incorrect. Maybe most liberals, but not most everyone.

BEC
04-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Politics and semantics aside, has anyone seen these "in the wild" (i.e. in a WalMart store) yet? I'm with Doug - this is an exciting development. So would be apperance of A8-0s or B6-0s at WalMart.....

Domminigan
04-13-2009, 06:59 PM
I checked five Wal-Martian stores in my area, and none of the Martians were stocking the new kits. Just two already built rockets and engines. There were none that even had any starter kits.

barone
04-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Mine has the Solar Scouts, Flash (quick-snap), the 64 possible combinations kit, the Hi Jinks RTF and the Rascal RTF. No motors since I cleared the shelves at .....hmmm....25 cents per pack.....lol

BEC
04-13-2009, 09:28 PM
So in other words none of this new line either.

<offtopic>By the way, the HiJinks RTF flies very nicely.....and since it and the Rascal have BT-50-sized body tubes, mods are pretty easy. I have a small payload section on a Rascal with that new tiny altimeter Quest is selling in it.</offtopic>

Carl@Semroc
04-13-2009, 10:50 PM
As you can see from the "sell sheets" these are mainly a recycleable rocket product. I guess it's considered a "green" product since most everyone is getting on the "green" bandwagen.We get NO requests for a recyclable rocket. Who wants to be reminded that their rocket is not going to last very long hanging from the "rocket eating tree"?

BEC
04-13-2009, 11:20 PM
We get NO requests for a recyclable rocket. Who wants to be reminded that their rocket is not going to last very long hanging from the "rocket eating tree"?

:D :D

Sadly, that'll be true of rockets I build from parts I've gotten from you, Carl....and your kits, too. :)

johnnwwa
04-13-2009, 11:42 PM
We get NO requests for a recyclable rocket. Who wants to be reminded that their rocket is not going to last very long hanging from the "rocket eating tree"?
Carl

I'd like to request a ah...... Anti-RET Rocket :)

In six years I have only lost one rocket to a rocket eating tree, having said that I have had three or four that I launched that I never did see again. Maybe they are still up there some where.

BAR
John

Tau Zero
04-13-2009, 11:54 PM
I guess it's considered a "green" product since most everyone is getting on the "green" bandwagen.As a former farm boy, I'm *extremely* cautious about everyone wanting to "go green." I'm afraid it may produce some *greatly* undesired results.

Prime example: Fresh cowpies are green. :eek:

*I'm* not interested. But go ahead, help yourself. :rolleyes:

(*Ew!*)

tbzep
04-14-2009, 07:23 AM
As a former farm boy, I'm *extremely* cautious about everyone wanting to "go green." I'm afraid it may produce some *greatly* undesired results.

Prime example: Fresh cowpies are green. :eek:

*I'm* not interested. But go ahead, help yourself. :rolleyes:

(*Ew!*)

You mean you don't like going barefoot and having it squish through your toes? Ah...the memories of chasing a rocket barefooted through the cow pasture. :cool:

falingtrea
04-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Ken,

Steve

Looks like the replacement term for "Made from 100% recyclable material". :rolleyes: :p :chuckle:

Mark II
04-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Looks like the replacement term for "Made from 100% recyclable material". :rolleyes: :p :chuckle:
I suspect that if the name has anything at all to do with "sustainability" (an exceedingly remote possibility at best) then it would most likely be trying to communicate that the kits are in compliance with CPSIA.

<offtopic>By the way, the HiJinks RTF flies very nicely.....and since it and the Rascal have BT-50-sized body tubes, mods are pretty easy. I have a small payload section on a Rascal with that new tiny altimeter Quest is selling in it.</offtopic>
Hey, I like that idea - altering an RTF and making it into something that the flier built! It's kind of like turning the tables, no? Now, how about kit-bashing with RTF's?

MarkII

garmtn
04-15-2009, 12:22 PM
New to me. Didn't even know Walmart carried kits. How about parts?? Getting harder and harder to find anyone "local" who carries parts, not just kits. I'm a "scratch builder" for the most part and always on "the hunt." However, I am in process of building Quest Zenith II. A two stager. If anyone has other suggestions on where to get parts, let me know PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

foose4string
04-15-2009, 12:54 PM
New to me. Didn't even know Walmart carried kits. How about parts?? Getting harder and harder to find anyone "local" who carries parts, not just kits. I'm a "scratch builder" for the most part and always on "the hunt." However, I am in process of building Quest Zenith II. A two stager. If anyone has other suggestions on where to get parts, let me know PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Semroc (www.semroc.com )
www.balsamachining.com
www.fliskits.com
Quest (http://www.questaerospace.com/items.asp?Cc=Z-Comp&Bc=)
www.apogeerockets.com
BRS hobbies (http://www.brshobbies.com/catalog.php/BRSHobbies/ct822/Rocket_Parts)
www.jonrocket.com

There's more, but that should keep you busy for a while. ;)

Carl@Semroc
04-15-2009, 12:59 PM
New to me. Didn't even know Walmart carried kits. How about parts?? Getting harder and harder to find anyone "local" who carries parts, not just kits. I'm a "scratch builder" for the most part and always on "the hunt." However, I am in process of building Quest Zenith II. A two stager. If anyone has other suggestions on where to get parts, let me know PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!We have over 1600 parts online and are adding about 20 to 30 more each month. If you don't see it, ask us about it.

Rocket Doctor
04-15-2009, 01:38 PM

WalMart doesn't carry parts, they will have the new Sustainables soon, the first four will be heading to local WM's soon.

You can find parts from online rocket suppliers.

JRThro
04-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Many Wal-Marts carry a few Estes kits and ready-to-fly rockets, specifically packaged by Estes for them. Also motors.

For parts, if you can't find them locally, foose4string and Carl@Semroc have covered the bases pretty well.

garmtn
04-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi Carl, Just went to Semroc site and had heck of a time pulling up any parts. Only found "blasa Bulheads." Thanks

snaquin
04-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi Carl, Just went to Semroc site and had heck of a time pulling up any parts. Only found "blasa Bulheads." Thanks

Here's the product list:

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodList.asp

Chas Russell
04-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Go to www.semroc.com

Upper left corner go to "All Catagories" and you should get a list of types of kits and parts.

If you go to the Web Catalog, you can click on the parts section and then you have to click on the parts of the rocket to get to that type of part. Click on the nose cone to get cones. Click on fins to get the laser cut fins, etc.

Chas

P.S. Steve beat me to it by seconds. With the direct link even. Takes all the fun out of it!

j.a.duke
04-15-2009, 03:02 PM

7208 Richocet ($9.96)

The new kits are on shelf now (or should be very soon )The same group of kits will run at least 3-4 months before changing over to the next round

Has anyone found these in stock yet? Please post back if you have...I just hit 3 stores today and none had any of the new kits.

Just RTF & E2X (or whatever the almost-RTF stuff is called) with no engines with the rockets. One store had the engines in the clearance area and the others didn't have any at all.

Cheers,
Jon

barone
04-15-2009, 03:12 PM
(snip).......One store had the engines in the clearance area and the others didn't have any at all.

Cheers,
Jon
Did you buy them? The last batch I got from clearance were 25 cents a pack.... :D

Don't go by the price listed....take them and scan them.......should get a good deal on them...Take advantage of it since they have gone up to $6.97 in some stores.....

tbzep
04-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Did you buy them? The last batch I got from clearance were 25 cents a pack.... :D

Don't go by the price listed....take them and scan them.......should get a good deal on them...Take advantage of it since they have gone up to $6.97 in some stores.....

Unless you live near me or Don.....if you do, leave them for us. :p

Jeff Walther
04-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Yet more liberal crap. Someone had noted earlier that the new buyer for WalMart is a young tree hugger. Estes apparently needed to comply with this weenies wishes for them to continue their business relationship.

I reacted much the same way on reading the wiki article. However, the base definition, taken on it's face is not a bad thing.

The problem is in its application. The way the popular media and the eco-nuts use it is foolish and unfortunately, their ideas seem to be gaining huge penetration into the public consciousness. This proposal for a carbon cap and trade system, for example.

It (sustainability) is an okay idea, applied poorly by folks who can't do simple math, don't know chemistry, are proud of their ignorance of physics, and wouldn't know biology if it bit them. Yet, they feel qualified to make pronouncements on society's direction in infrastructure, technology and industry.

Sigh.

Jeff Walther
04-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Fred,

Thanks for the tip. I kind of already knew what the word "sustainable" meant. ;)

The reason I asked is it seems to be a name with zero marketing value.

I wonder if it came from Estes or Walmart.

Oh, no. It's a huge big thing with the eco-nuts and their followers the eco-faddists. I'm hoping the eco-faddists will wake up and smell the utility bill when the real cost of the eco-nuts' policies become apparent.

Everything is "sustainable" this and that these days. That's part of what makes the term so knee-jerk irritating.

Jeff Walther
04-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Semroc (www.semroc.com )
www.balsamachining.com
www.fliskits.com
Quest (http://www.questaerospace.com/items.asp?Cc=Z-Comp&Bc=)
www.apogeerockets.com
BRS hobbies (http://www.brshobbies.com/catalog.php/BRSHobbies/ct822/Rocket_Parts)
www.jonrocket.com

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack.

He seems to have about the best price I could find on tubes BT-55 and larger.

foose4string
04-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack.

He seems to have about the best price I could find on tubes BT-55 and larger.

True enough. I almost got there - right after Jon's, but figured with Semroc, BMS, and Quest, he'd be pretty well entertained for a few hours.

Doug Sams
04-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Hi Carl, Just went to Semroc site and had heck of a time pulling up any parts. Only found "blasa Bulheads." ThanksThe Semroc site uses image mapping. For example, on this page, http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/CustomParts.asp , as you move your cursor over the various parts of the rocket, the destination link will change. In IE, if you have the Status Bar turned on, you can see the link change at the bottom of the window as you move the cursor over the various components. Other browsers work similarly. Anyway, put the cursor on the component type you want to browse, then click your mouse, and you'll soon be back in Kansa...er tubes and nosecones http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Doug

Sunward
04-15-2009, 09:35 PM
some more parts and equipment here also.

garmtn
04-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Thanks for all resources. Seems 2 b a given, nothing available in"stores" any more. Everything has to be ordered. Glenn

snaquin
04-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Steve, back when I lived in Natchitoches in the early 1980's, I use to drive down to Baton
Rouge to fly model rockets with some friends (we flew at what was called Independence
Park), the nearby Cortana Mall had a SUPERB hobby shop that had tons of stuff from Estes,
Centuri and other famous vendors of those days. I made many of my (soon to be OOP)
purchases there. Not sure if that hobby shop is still there....... :confused:

Dave,

I was on Airline Hwy today just north of Florida Blvd across from Cortana Mall and I think I spotted the hobby shop you mentioned. It had Hobbytowne (not Hobbytown) on the side of the building and looks like it's been there forever.

I went inside and they had a very good collection of current Estes kits and a few OOP kits like two boxed E2X Hijax kits, a Gemini DC, E2X Dagger and a Star Wars Tie Fighter 15th anniversary kit. They had a few packs of C11-7 hanging on the wall behind the counter as well.

Overall a very nicely stocked Hobby Shop and only 30 minutes from where I live now.

dwmzmm
04-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Dave,

I was on Airline Hwy today just north of Florida Blvd across from Cortana Mall and I think I spotted the hobby shop you mentioned. It had Hobbytowne (not Hobbytown) on the side of the building and looks like it's been there forever.

I went inside and they had a very good collection of current Estes kits and a few OOP kits like two boxed E2X Hijax kits, a Gemini DC, E2X Dagger and a Star Wars Tie Fighter 15th anniversary kit. They had a few packs of C11-7 hanging on the wall behind the counter as well.

Overall a very nicely stocked Hobby Shop and only 30 minutes from where I live now.

Steve, the hobby shop I visited (several times) was actually inside the mall itself; maybe
the hobby shop you're seeing may be the same one (from your description, it sounds as if
it's in a stand alone building). When I saw all those kits (and vendors) they carried, I felt like
I was in model rocketry paradise!! :D :D :D

snaquin
04-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Steve, the hobby shop I visited (several times) was actually inside the mall itself; maybe
the hobby shop you're seeing may be the same one (from your description, it sounds as if
it's in a stand alone building). When I saw all those kits (and vendors) they carried, I felt like
I was in model rocketry paradise!! :D :D :D

Ah, I see ..... no this one is across the highway from the mall. I know what you mean about rocketry paradise. The old Model Car Raceways in Metairie where my father took me to get my first rockets handled the full lines of Estes, Centuri and FSI and had all the motors in stock as well. I didn't know how good I had it back then to have access to so much rocketry stock in town!

dwmzmm
04-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Ah, I see ..... no this one is across the highway from the mall. I know what you mean about rocketry paradise. The old Model Car Raceways in Metairie where my father took me to get my first rockets handled the full lines of Estes, Centuri and FSI and had all the motors in stock as well. I didn't know how good I had it back then to have access to so much rocketry stock in town!

During the early 1970's, I was a member of the Ark-La-Tex Model Rocket Club located in
the Shreveport/Bossier City area (although I lived in Natchitoches - had to depend on my
parents to drive me to meetings, launches, etc., on the two way "highway" that was often
a nightmare to drive back then), and there was a hobby shop called Dobbins Hobbies that
also carried an excellent assortment of products from the big vendors of those days. He (the shop owner) even gave our club members a discount (I think it was 15%). He also carried a good stock of parts (nose cones, body tubes, etc) that I could send mail orders
and have them delivered (via mail) quickly. Ah, those were the good ole days!!

garmtn
04-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Just before we moved from Bloomfield to Livingston, NJ, I hung out @ this "5 &10" we called "jippy Jacks." Believe it or not, they used to sell short "fuse." Wasn't until I was in Livingsto, did I get involved w/model rocketry.