PDA

View Full Version : 1/100 S-IVb wraps

MarkB.
04-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Anybody have 1/100 Saturn S-IVb corregated wraps they'd be willing to part with or know of an after-market source? I'd even be interested in trying to peel them off of a damaged, built example.

I know Carl should be coming out with some (soon, I hope), but I'm trying to clear my bench of the partially completed projects.

I'm building a Skylab and I need the wraps.

mycrofte
04-26-2009, 08:42 AM
They used to make plastic ones for scratch building HO railroads and stuff. But I haven't seen that stuff in a hobby shop for a good decade.

Found it at Tower Hobbies. May not be exact one you need but they have several.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXF816&P=F

http://www2.gpmd.com/image/e/evgu4031.jpg

tbzep
04-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Make your own. My son used wraps from Semroc's Little Joe II, a bunch of balsa bits and pieces, and a little bit of patience to make wraps for his Centuri Orion clone (which Semroc will inevitably release now that we've built one).

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Rockets/DSC_00029.jpg

Ltvscout
04-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Anybody have 1/100 Saturn S-IVb corregated wraps they'd be willing to part with or know of an after-market source? I'd even be interested in trying to peel them off of a damaged, built example.

I know Carl should be coming out with some (soon, I hope), but I'm trying to clear my bench of the partially completed projects.

I'm building a Skylab and I need the wraps.
Paul Graf used to make some. I'll see if I can dig up his website/email address somewhere.

snuggles
04-26-2009, 09:17 AM
You won't be able to peel the wraps off without wrecking them.
I have a Saturn V kit downstairs that I goofed on.
I may have the wraps.
Mark T

luke strawwalker
04-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Apogee Components sells a kit of 'generic' vacuform wraps that are probably just what you need. I bought a set for my 1/100 Ares I that I'm building.

http://www.apogeerockets.com/vac-form_wraps.asp

Hope this helps! OL JR :)

MarkB.
04-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys,

I like TBZEP's Kenny Mayne impersonation - "Man up and make your own wraps." LOL.

I checked my sources and found that Skylab had different wraps and little fittings from a standard S-IVb so I did indeed decide to make my own using my small stash of corregated scrapbooking paper that I liberated from my wife's stuff.

But thanks for the ideas, that's the best thing about this site.

MarkB.
04-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks again guys,

I worked on it this afternoon and here it is ready to be thrown on the painting pile.

The nose cone is Sandman's and I used David Weeks' drawings.

sandman
04-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Plastruct make a nice corrugation too. The package say 1/100 HO scale but that doesn't seem right.

The Plastruct is corrugated on both sides like it is vacuformed. It's 0.020"

Evergreen does too but it's thicker.

The Evergreen only has corrugation on one side and it's 0.040"

I'll try to post pics later.

SEL
04-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Paul Graf used to make some. I'll see if I can dig up his website/email address somewhere.

I pulled my KOSROX 1-B and found the last email I had for Paul Graf:
grafgulch@aol.com The last time I emailed him he only had wraps for the Little Joe, but was considering doing another run of 1-B wraps. Drop him a email and let us know.

S.

SEL
04-26-2009, 08:43 PM
I pulled my KOSROX 1-B and found the last email I had for Paul Graf:
grafgulch@aol.com The last time I emailed him he only had wraps for the Little Joe, but was considering doing another run of 1-B wraps. Drop him a email and let us know.

S.

Oops - just saw your post telling us you made your own. I'll email him and let y'all know.

S.

foose4string
04-28-2009, 08:42 AM
That email address for Paul is still good. I have corresponded with him within the past two weeks via email and over the phone(but not pertaining to model rocket parts). He admits that he hasn't had much interest in flying model rockets in quite some time, but I suspect someone could still convince him to do some parts if enough interest were there. He said as much when I contacted him last year about vacuum forming parts for the 1284 Space Shuttle. He needed the original parts of course, which I didn't have at the time. Do now, but only one set... and not not willing to part with them. :o