PDA

View Full Version : Summer Launching Plans

Rocket Doctor
04-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Let us know what your plans are for this summer as far as model rockets go,
Will you be attending any contests?
There is a burn ban in South carolina, how about in your area?

Rocketflyer
04-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Let us know what your plans are for this summer as far as model rockets go,
Will you be attending any contests?

Doc. SoJARS just had a great day launching on Sunday at our farm field. We can do L1 Certs there to the low 'I's." Terriffic weather with blue skies. We will continue there for the most part.

GregGleason
04-27-2009, 11:01 AM

Where I fly in Texas, there has been burn bans for 25 to 50 percent of the flying dates for the last two years. The burn bans made it a “NO FLY” day on our scheduled launches. The president of Tripoli club I belong to worked out an agreement with the local municipality to have extra fire protection measures in place (more fire extinguishers, no “sparky” motors, etc). Part of the reason that we were able to pull this off was a good safety record over the years (plus the municipality was loosing revenue whenever we did not fly) and general good relations between the club and the municipality.

Greg

Rocket Doctor
04-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Where I fly in Texas, there has been burn bans for 25 to 50 percent of the flying dates for the last two years. The burn bans made it a “NO FLY” day on our scheduled launches. The president of Tripoli club I belong to worked out an agreement with the local municipality to have extra fire protection measures in place (more fire extinguishers, no “sparky” motors, etc). Part of the reason that we were able to pull this off was a good safety record over the years (plus the municipality was loosing revenue whenever we did not fly) and general good relations between the club and the municipality.

Greg

Greg

I'm glad that you were able to work out a plan with the local municipality. Education is the key.

I guess you have heard on the news, there was wildfires in the Myrtle Beach area, many houses were lost.
Good luck with you future launches.

RD

gpoehlein
04-27-2009, 12:17 PM
My plan is to survive the next two regionals our chapter is hosting! Gotta finish the B Rocket Glider and a SF model by Saturday! Then another contest in June! :eek:

Greg

MKP
04-27-2009, 01:23 PM
I'll just go out when ever I can and drag along anyone who will come!

Nearest club: 163 miles

o1d_dude
04-27-2009, 06:44 PM
I've found a nice park with an open grassy field that's approximately 1/2 mile square. There are trees but they new, relatively small, and border the field. This park was recently constructed in a gravel pit that's about 100 ft below the level of the surrounding area. The original pit was probably a mile wide and three miles long and has been landscaped to resembled a small valley so it's not like it's in a strip mine or anything like that.

I plan to take my DRM clone fleet there until the absentee park administration tells me not to fly there anymore. That might take years.

Mark II
04-28-2009, 02:11 AM
There was a brief burn ban here a week or so ago, prompted by dry after-thaw conditions and high winds. With 30-40 mph winds, though, I wouldn't have been launching anyway. Prolonged droughts are infrequent here, though; usually what limits my launching is the opposite: windy, rainy weather. I can just run over to the school to launch whenever time and weather permit. In dead calm weather, I can launch a few of my bigger rockets there and I can send anything else up to about 1200 ft. alt. there as well. For anything more ambitious, I have to drive down to the Capital District to launch with my club.

I would very much like to get to NARAM, LDRS AND NERFF this year, but it all depends in my economic situation. (Not looking too good right now.) Of the three, LDRS looks like the most feasible one, because I can camp there or near there. It has the most expensive fee, though. NARAM is the furthest away, and I am totally unfamiliar with that area. Right now I can't see how I could possibly afford to stay in a hotel room for even one night. Just paying for the gas to get there and back will be tough enough. Ditto for NERFF. And if by some miracle I actually find a job by then, everything will depend in my work schedule. There are too many unresolved questions at this point, so I really can't make any plans yet.

MarkII

West Shore Rockets
04-28-2009, 03:48 AM
Well, looks like CATO in June, July, and then NERRF in August. Might be able to do CATO in May, but it depends on a few things going right.

mycrofte
04-28-2009, 07:14 AM
I'm not sure. Once the farmer starts planting, I'm doomed...

o1d_dude
04-28-2009, 11:14 AM
I neglected to mention in my post that the Livermore Unit of the NAR (LUNAR) which normally hosts a big monthly launch about an hour away has canceled their May shindig due to fire danger. We've got a bit of a drought going on here in Cali.

That's why I was looking for a nice big park with manicured lawns and such. 10 minutes down the road. Gotta love it.

mycrofte
04-30-2009, 07:22 AM
Those are all over the place. I think they call them golf courses...