PDA

View Full Version : InFlight Rocket Kits

Ltvscout
05-29-2009, 11:55 AM
I just received my shipment of kits from InFlight. I got the A-20 Demon, Nike-X and Blue Bird Zero. The kits came packed extremely well with bubble wrap. Looking through the bags the quality of components look excellent. Everything is well packed in each bag with separate smaller bags for the smaller items. Ray uses a combination of Kevlar and 1/4" elastic for the shock cord which is nice. The balsa cones in the A20 and BBZ look great. The Nike-X has a plastic cone. The fins are all laser-cut. I'm not sure if Ray contracts with BMS or Semroc for the balsa parts or if he has his own equipment.

I recommend kits from InFlight.

Chris_Timm
05-29-2009, 12:01 PM
The OMEGA and Nike-Smoke kits are very nice too!

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-29-2009, 01:23 PM
As are the W.A.S.P. and NASA Pegasus. I plan to fly both this weekend.

o1d_dude
05-29-2009, 01:55 PM
I visited the InFlight website and noticed they have ONE Goblin clone kit available.

I bought all my Goblin parts yesterday from SEMROC and am going to order a sheet of Goblin decals from The Sandman.

Goblins are in the air.

Edit: It would have been more helpful had I included the link to the website: Inflight Rockets (http://inflightrockets.com/)

snaquin
05-29-2009, 10:18 PM
I sent Ray an email about a month ago regarding the A-20 Demon kit. I had inquired about the decals and some of the components, mainly the foil wraps. Ray responded the same afternoon to all my inquiries and I purchased the kit.

It was well packaged and shipped promptly. I opened the kit when I received it to inspect it and I was well pleased with the components he uses. The foil wraps and water-slide decals Ray includes with that kit are beautiful reproductions of the original.

Well worth the asking price and I was very satisfied with my 1st purchase. I need to move the A-20 up in the build queue.

:)

Ltvscout
05-30-2009, 08:58 AM
It was well packaged and shipped promptly. I opened the kit when I received it to inspect it and I was well pleased with the components he uses. The foil wraps and water-slide decals Ray includes with that kit are beautiful reproductions of the original.

Yup, one of the reasons I chose his A-20. I wanted to have good foil repros.

BoosterDude
06-04-2009, 07:17 PM
I've built the Wasp, and Nike Smoke. Both were great kits, and are excellent flyers. Inflight kits are awesome, and the service is top notch.

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Pad and flight pics of my two InFlight birds. I plan to have more of their birds very soon. :cool:

Rocketcrab
06-11-2009, 07:55 AM
I have their Nike-Smoke kit looking back at me every time I visit my workbench. It's say ing "build me, build me!". The shipping was very fast, and it does look great in the bag! ;)

ghrocketman
06-11-2009, 09:24 AM
I just completed one of their Omega clones about a month ago.
A very nice kit with fit/finish of balsa cones as delivered about on par with BMS parts, or one small notch below Semroc parts, which means a couple of more coats of sanding sealer/balsafillercoat than required by Semroc kits; no big deal.
It was a great build that had very nice decals.
I know I'm planning to purchase their Nike-X, Wasp, and Blue Bird Zero kits in the near future.
Their kits are about equivalent to the now defunct Thrustline, PD Rocketry, and Rocketpad kits of the near past that appeared to use BMS parts as well.

I just wish they or someone else would make an AFFORDABLE clone of the old Nike AJAX kit.
I know there are Ajax kits available that are either not the scale/quality I want, or are VERY costly (or at least well above what I'm willing to spend for an 18mm ANYTHING) for their size but are very nice.

InFlight
06-11-2009, 09:35 AM

I just wish they or someone else would make an AFFORDABLE clone of the old Nike AJAX kit.
I know there are Ajax kits available that are either not the scale/quality I want, or are VERY costly (or at least well above what I'm willing to spend for an 18mm ANYTHING) for their size but are very nice.
I'm working on this one and the price will be around $20 bucks. ;)

As well as a Zoom Broom and Sprint.

Thanks for the comments!

sandman
06-11-2009, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the comments!

I make the Astron Sprint kits in 3 scales including the original I make the decals and I make the decal and pattern set for the Zoom Broom.

I've been making the Sprint kits for about 5 years.

Are we directly competing now? :confused:

ghrocketman
06-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Ray,
That's GREAT news about the Nike Ajax !!!!
Will it be a 1:1 clone of the old Estes kit complete with decals ????
If so, I'll be one of the first to pick one up as soon as released !

Ltvscout
06-11-2009, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the comments!
Cool! Gordon makes a very nice upscale Sprint. Some day I may even build it! :chuckle:

foose4string
06-11-2009, 06:17 PM
I make the Astron Sprint kits in 3 scales including the original I make the decals and I make the decal and pattern set for the Zoom Broom.

Semroc essentially sells the kit too (just without the bag and header). Decals are black over white...not too difficult to reproduce.

No disrespect Gordon, but sometimes it's hard to know(without constantly monitoring the forum) what is currently available(or offered) and what is not. I suspect once you get the website(s) updated, it should clear up any confusion.

I don't really see the conflict, especially if you offer upscales...which I suspect would be popular in their own right.

sandman
06-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Semroc essentially sells the kit too (just without the bag and header). Decals are black over white...not too difficult to reproduce.

No disrespect Gordon, but sometimes it's hard to know(without constantly monitoring the forum) what is currently available(or offered) and what is not. I suspect once you get the website(s) updated, it should clear up any confusion.

I don't really see the conflict, especially if you offer upscales...which I suspect would be popular in their own right.

Oh, I wasn't complaining. It's hard to catch nuance in a typed reply. Mine is an upscale and I do a downscale too. I only made a few of the original size 'cause I was nagged into it.

The main difference is on all of the Sprints I make I use a balsa tail cone not paper.

If I was to complain I'd mention my Nike Ajax kits but I won't. :rolleyes:

foose4string
06-11-2009, 07:00 PM
If I was to complain I'd mention my Nike Ajax kits but I won't. :rolleyes:

;) :D

InFlight
06-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Ray,
That's GREAT news about the Nike Ajax !!!!
Will it be a 1:1 clone of the old Estes kit complete with decals ????
If so, I'll be one of the first to pick one up as soon as released !
Yes, as close as I can get to the original ;)

InFlight
06-11-2009, 08:44 PM

If I were making money on this than I would say yes... but, I am not making any money on this so I would say we are offering the community different options. :D

I have been asked by many via email for a full blown Zoom Broom clone. Just answering the call as they told me it cost too much to buy parts from three different places after you add up the shipping costs, etc...

Btw, my Zoom Broom clone would be 13mm with laser printed water slide decals. I only use my ALPS when necessary, cartridges are expensive. ;)

Btw, your Nike Ajax is by far better than the estes version. :cool:

Gordon, I will not argue over producing kits. If you want me to stop my plans for these kits let me know. There are plenty of other things I can clone. :chuckle:

sandman
06-11-2009, 09:05 PM
If I were making money on this than I would say yes... but, I am not making any money on this so I would say we are offering the community different options. :D

I have been asked by many via email for a full blown Zoom Broom clone. Just answering the call as they told me it cost too much to buy parts from three different places after you add up the shipping costs, etc...

Btw, my Zoom Broom clone would be 13mm with laser printed water slide decals. I only use my ALPS when necessary, cartridges are expensive. ;)

Btw, your Nike Ajax is by far better than the estes version. :cool:

Gordon, I will not argue over producing kits. If you want me to stop my plans for these kits let me know. There are plenty of other things I can clone. :chuckle:

Between making decals and getting rid of Phreds backlog and custom turnings I honestly I can't keep up with the kit stuff for now. but...if you want a deal on some Sprint decals let me know. They come 4 sets to a sheet.

I do have 10 Nike Ajax kits in the kit assembly que, I just need to laser cut some parts.

Also the 1/24th scale version but I haven't even flown the prototype yet.

LeeR
06-11-2009, 10:38 PM

Not making money? Who do you think you are? You're treading on automotive and banking territory, mind you!

InFlight
06-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Not making money? Who do you think you are? You're treading on automotive and banking territory, mind you!
;) :chuckle:

j.a.duke
06-13-2009, 04:08 PM

Shouldn't that qualify him for a government bailout?

I think you should ask for a billion, maybe two.

Cheers,
Jon

ghrocketman
06-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Ray,
Any idea of a predicted time frame when your Nike Ajax will be available ?
That $20 price tag sounds about like the exact price point I was looking for with a model this size.
About the ONLY model I will pay over ~$20 for a single 18mm powered rocket is something VERY complex like a Mars Lander or Space Shuttle, etc that has a LOT of tubes/visible detail from say 20 ft away.

InFlight
06-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Ray,
Any idea of a predicted time frame when your Nike Ajax will be available ?
That $20 price tag sounds about like the exact price point I was looking for with a model this size.
About the ONLY model I will pay over ~$20 for a single 18mm powered rocket is something VERY complex like a Mars Lander or Space Shuttle, etc that has a LOT of tubes/visible detail from say 20 ft away.I'm trying to plan a head for this one as I am sure there are a few that will want one. I would say 2 months or so, but don't quote me on it. The timing on getting all the parts together is tricky. There is always one little part I am waiting on that holds everything up.

ghrocketman
07-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Hey Ray,
Are you any closer to adding that Nike Ajax to your lineup ??
GH

jdud
07-26-2009, 08:21 AM
I'll add my name to the interested parties. I was about to order parts to clone a Nike Ajax, but it sure would be convenient to have everything in kit form (including decals I presume).

InFlight
07-31-2009, 11:25 AM
Hey Ray,
Are you any closer to adding that Nike Ajax to your lineup ??
GHI am currently installing a nice vinyl fence around my yard. This makes momma (wife) happy, and when momma is happy I am happy. :chuckle:

As for the Nike Ajax, I have about half of this kit figured out. I will need to make the decal drawings from scratch for the ALPS printer. There is not much info regarding the paper bands that need to be wrapped in two places on the model.

garmtn
07-31-2009, 03:29 PM
Don't recall ordering a rocket from them but, did get supplies. Heres my "scratch BB Zero and Goony Zero." Let me know how yours flys. My 1st attempt next weekend @ Naram 51. Glenn NAR 89197 ;)

sandman
07-31-2009, 04:02 PM
Don't recall ordering a rocket from them but, did get supplies. Heres my "scratch BB Zero and Goony Zero." Let me know how yours flys. My 1st attempt next weekend @ Naram 51. Glenn NAR 89197 ;)

OMG!!! NARAM IS NEXT WEEKEND??? :eek:

'scuse me...I gotta get back to work!