PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Pro Series Launch Controller Instructions

Digitalastro
05-31-2009, 09:46 PM
I just picked up an estes pro series launch controller. This is the one which takes the 7.2 volt nicad batteries for R/C cars. Reading in the catalog, it says that it can be used with an external 12 volt source. How does it hook up? It looks like there are two versions of this controller. One has plugs on the bottom for hookup of an external power source. Mine does not have those plugs. Is there an adapter cable to use with my version of the controller? I could probably figure out how to adapt it 12 volt. i would rather adapt it to 12 volt, rather than buy two of the r/c car batteries.

JRThro
05-31-2009, 10:34 PM
I got lucky with mine, which I bought on clearance at Hobby Lobby for less than $7 a few years ago. It didn't come with instructions, but it did come with plugs for the R/C car batteries.

As it happens, I found a 12 V battery and charger on clearance at Wal-Mart some time after that for $10, and the battery and charger use the same connector as the Estes Command Control launch controller. The only problem I ever have is remembering which of the two connectors inside the controller to plug the battery into, and then how to set the switch(es) on the front of the controller for single-battery 12 V operation.

It works like a charm, btw.

Shreadvector
06-01-2009, 07:46 AM
I just picked up an estes pro series launch controller. This is the one which takes the 7.2 volt nicad batteries for R/C cars. Reading in the catalog, it says that it can be used with an external 12 volt source. How does it hook up? It looks like there are two versions of this controller. One has plugs on the bottom for hookup of an external power source. Mine does not have those plugs. Is there an adapter cable to use with my version of the controller? I could probably figure out how to adapt it 12 volt. i would rather adapt it to 12 volt, rather than buy two of the r/c car batteries.

I have several of the controllers (I acquire them all over and make them available cheap for club members. ditto for Astron controllers that I extend to over 30 feet). The 12 volt external battery connection is mentioned in the instructions, but they simply tell you you can make one your self and to be very careful to get the polarity correct. Always connect it to the "battery 1" connector inside.

BigRIJoe
08-21-2009, 03:53 PM
I have two female connectors in the Pro Series launcher I bought on Ebay, My mistake, I ordered two 7.2 volt battery packs with female connectors......are male connectors available to allow me to use the battery packs?

Shreadvector
08-21-2009, 04:35 PM
I have two female connectors in the Pro Series launcher I bought on Ebay, My mistake, I ordered two 7.2 volt battery packs with female connectors......are male connectors available to allow me to use the battery packs?

Radio shack sold the connectors and they are available online. No time to do the Google search for you. Gotta go.

BigRIJoe
08-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Fred, SOLD is right, I went to a local Radio Shack and got a blank look. Could you tell me what to look for on "The Shack's" online store?

JRThro
08-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Fred, SOLD is right, I went to a local Radio Shack and got a blank look. Could you tell me what to look for on "The Shack's" online store?
My local Radio Shack did not have the connectors, but my nearby local hobby shop had them, since they do a lot of R/C car and plane stuff.

BigRIJoe
08-21-2009, 07:28 PM
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/WALDOM-ELECTRONICS-351PRT-/21-3290

Are these close enough JR?

JRThro
08-22-2009, 01:59 AM
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/WALDOM-ELECTRONICS-351PRT-/21-3290

Are these close enough JR?
That looks right, yeah.

BigRIJoe
08-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Thank you!