PDA

View Full Version : Payload Bay Question

JasonT
06-12-2009, 05:09 AM
Good morning.

I want to begin experimenting with payload bays, but I am not sure how to get started.

I am currently building a 2.6'' diameter rocket kit...is a 2.56'' payload bay the right fit?

For example: 2.56 payload bay (http://shop.rocketsbymelissa.com/product.sc?categoryId=20&productId=160)

My main question though is how is it attached to the rocket itself? I have searched but I have not found any good 'How To' articles on this subject.

Thanks in advance!

tbzep
06-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Good morning.

I want to begin experimenting with payload bays, but I am not sure how to get started.

I am currently building a 2.6'' diameter rocket kit...is a 2.56'' payload bay the right fit?

For example: 2.56 payload bay (http://shop.rocketsbymelissa.com/product.sc?categoryId=20&productId=160)

My main question though is how is it attached to the rocket itself? I have searched but I have not found any good 'How To' articles on this subject.

Thanks in advance!

That payload section you are referring to is made of heavy wall tubing. If you are using Estes BT-80 tubing for your rocket, the payload section will be thicker than your rocket's body. As for attaching to the rocket, the whole payload section becomes your nosecone, slipping into the top of the rocket's body tube attached by the shock cord. The actual nosecone needs to be friction fitted into the payload tube so it won't come off. When the rocket ejects, the whole payload section comes off the same way a single nosecone would.

InFlight
06-12-2009, 08:22 AM
To back up what tbzep said, take a look at the Omega with a payload bay plans Click Here (http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/k-52.htm)

It's a BT60 dia but it works the same way regardless of size.

JasonT
06-25-2009, 12:07 PM
That payload section you are referring to is made of heavy wall tubing. If you are using Estes BT-80 tubing for your rocket, the payload section will be thicker than your rocket's body. As for attaching to the rocket, the whole payload section becomes your nosecone, slipping into the top of the rocket's body tube attached by the shock cord. The actual nosecone needs to be friction fitted into the payload tube so it won't come off. When the rocket ejects, the whole payload section comes off the same way a single nosecone would.

Follow up newbie question: I have a payload bay, but I am unsure how to 'friction fit' it so it does not separate from the nose cone after ejection.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Jason

JasonT
06-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Follow up newbie question: I have a payload bay, but I am unsure how to 'friction fit' it so it does not separate from the nose cone after ejection.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Jason

My apologies, I just answered my own question! I knew the process of using masking tape, but I was not aware of it being called 'friction fitting' :-)

mojo1986
06-25-2009, 03:17 PM
The balsa coupler (bulkhead) at the bottom end of your payload section should fit snugly but not too tightly into the rocket. The nose cone of your payload section should fit quite tightly to ensure that it (and your payload) are not lost at separation or during descent.

Joe