PDA

View Full Version : Which Saturn V kit to build?

timster68
07-04-2009, 04:49 AM
Which version of the Estes Saturn V kits is the best to build? I am looking to buy and build one at some point, so I wanted some opinions on which one to look for.

tbzep
07-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Assuming you are talking about 1/100 scale, there have been 4 versions. I have three of the four, the Centuri KS-12 built, the Estes 2001 built, and the 2157 in the box. I don't have the Estes K-36.

Centuri KS-12/5142: The Centuri kit has vaccuformed styrene wraps, which look better from a distance, but are "over scaled". It ejects at the top of the large tube, making chute packing easy. It was designed for a three motor cluster. You can modify it for a single 24mm motor easily, or for removable mounts to fly either way. This is what I did with mine when I was a kid, before I'd ever heard of interchangeable mounts. :) It came with clear slip-on fins to add stability.

Estes K-36: The K-36 has paper wraps and ejects at the capsule, making chute stuffing a little interesting. It was designed for clusters also, so you could easily modify it like the Centuri kit. IIRC, it came with clear slip-on fins too.

Estes 2001: The 2001 still has paper wraps, but was redesigned to eject at the top of the BT-101 tube, making chute packing much simpler than the K-36. It has a BT-50 motor mount/stuffer tube, so if you want to modify it for a 3 engine cluster, you'd have to cut the centering rings bigger to fit the larger motor tube. It has balsa fins that are more oversized than the Centuri or the Estes K-36 fins and does not come with clear slip-on fins.

Estes 2157: The 2157 has styrene wraps like the Centuri kit. Otherwise, it builds pretty much like the 2001 kit. The fins are somewhat oversized, but look similar in size to the Centuri kit's fins. I can't find any clear slip-on fins in my box, or any mention of them in the plans. Like the 2001, it has a BT-50 sized motor mount/stuffer tube, so you'd have to do a little work to modify it for clusters.

SEMROC: Has a 1/100 scale kit in the works. If the kit quality is anything like their 1/70 Saturn 1B, Mars Lander, etc. and you can be patient enough to wait, you will get an excellent Saturn kit at a fraction of the price any of the above vintage kits.

I can add more detail about the old kits if you like, just let me know.

Just FYI, Apogee Components makes a 1/70 scale and Sirus Rocketry makes one in 1/64 scale. The Apogee kit is about $275, not far from what some of the vintage sealed kits were going for on eBay.

LeeR
07-04-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm trying to finish a 2001 kit that I built years ago, and it has gathered dust awaiting its paint. These are nice kits -- molded plastic capsule and tower.

I have a couple 2157s, but have not allowed myself the thought of starting, due to the unfinished earlier version. I think I'd shop for one of these, due to the styrene add-ons from the Centuri version.

For me, a K-36 would be a nostalgia buy. I'd rather build and fly one with the plastic capsule.

I have the Apogee Saturn 1B, and it is a truly beautiful kit. I will build the Semroc version first,and I ordered another Apogee capsule to use on it, since it is the same scale. The Semroc is a great kit, but you'd expect a little more from the Apogee, since it costs so much more.

Finally, I'd echo the same sentiments as tbzep on the upcoming Semroc Saturn V -- it should be an excellent combination of quality and value. Too bad there isn't a 1/100 scale plastic Apollo capsule out there somewhere for sale, like the Apogee capsule.

mperdue
07-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Just FYI, Apogee Components makes a 1/70 scale and Sirus Rocketry makes one in 1/64 scale. The Apogee kit is about $275, not far from what some of the vintage sealed kits were going for on eBay.
I've built both of these kits. If you're looking for something to fly with H and below then I'd recommend the Apogee model. If you're only flying it with HPR motors then the Sirius model is the better choice. As display models they are both first rate.

Mario

STRMan
07-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Then there is the Sheri's Hot Rockets 1/48 scale Saturn V, if you really want to go nuts. This kit is on my wish list.

http://www.cjsaviation.com/SATV2.html

http://www.cjsaviation.com/SATV1

http://www.cjsaviation.com/shr2

mperdue
07-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Then there is the Sheri's Hot Rockets 1/48 scale Saturn V, if you really want to go nuts. This kit is on my wish list.

http://www.cjsaviation.com/SATV2.html

http://www.cjsaviation.com/SATV1

http://www.cjsaviation.com/shr2

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to build that one yet. It looks very nice.

Mario

shrox
07-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Apogee's Saturn V and 1B are very good.

LeeR
07-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Here is a newly listed Estes #2001 Saturn V on eBay.

Saturn V on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Estes-Saturn-V-Mint-Sealed_W0QQitemZ180377471164QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item29ff55c8bc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:10|66:2|39:1|293:1|294:50)

chanstevens
07-05-2009, 06:20 AM
If you're looking at smaller scale, there are "decent" Dr. Zooch kits out there for $25. By "decent" I mean excellent value, very scale-like in appearance, but the details tend to be printed rather than 3-d. I love the optical illusion of the F1's, though--you'd swear they were little molded plastic pieces. It's also one of the few Saturn V's to actually fly with the F1's still on.

There's also a Peter Alway (Saturn Press) version out there, a bit larger than the Zooch, for around $50. Much better in terms of details (though sadly no corrugations, printed or otherwise). Probably the best overall balance between cost and details that's currently on the market.

The Semroc is probably going to be a NARAM release, so if you can wait a month that's going to be the way to go.

dwmzmm
07-05-2009, 08:46 AM
The Semroc is probably going to be a NARAM release, so if you can wait a month that's going to be the way to go.

The word I have is it'll be a while longer for the SEMROC kit to be ready. But you know Carl & Company, they'll come out with theirs when it's ready. Just give them a little more time. I'm sure their hands are pretty full already...... :rolleyes:

timster68
07-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will wait for the Semroc version. They must be reading my mind, because the day after I decided to build a clone Der V-3, they had the die-cut fins and all th e part on their web site!

dwmzmm
07-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will wait for the Semroc version. They must be reading my mind, because the day after I decided to build a clone Der V-3, they had the die-cut fins and all th e part on their web site!

Oh, I didn't know about that; maybe I'll check it out shortly. Wonder if they were able to solve the corrugated paper pattern issues? Was told this was part of the holdup in the kits' release. We'll see shortly.....

Jeff Walther
07-06-2009, 06:24 PM
If you buy a kit on Ebay remember to check it for completeness soon after receipt. I know that probably goes without saying, but I got a little lazy with a 2001 kit I bought.

There was no set of white plastic parts included, so no tower or doo dads that decorate the body of the rocket with details. Unfortunately, it has been about eight months since I bought it so the description isn't even around for me to check whether the seller claimed it was complete or something he found in an attic somewhere.

The bright side is that I won it for under $90 and it include five capsules--yes five. No towers, but five capsules. And five sets of the F1 nozzles that go on display base. Plus some of the body tubes were doubled up. I really wish the item description was still around. I'm curious to see what I thought I was buying at the time.

On the other hand, the two K-36s I bought are correct and complete. Just got around to checking them all a couple weeks ago. Too bad neither one had an extra tower in it. :-)

genedig65
07-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Has anyone built the 1/100th scale Sat V's with scale fins and F-1 nozzles in place during flight? If so, how did you handle stability?

Gene DiGennaro
Baltimore, Md.

dwmzmm
07-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Has anyone built the 1/100th scale Sat V's with scale fins and F-1 nozzles in place during flight? If so, how did you handle stability?

Gene DiGennaro
Baltimore, Md.

I'll be doing that to my K-36 model. Only difference is I can only use the four outboard nozzles (made an error when I had the centering rings made; the location of the holes are too close to the center - my mistake). Will definitely use clear slip on fins (the ones that come from the Centuri vintage Saturn - V kit) but make sure the model's balance point is at the correct position.

We're hoping to have the launch this coming Saturday (July 11th), but almost all of the Texas area is under a burn ban due to the extreme hot weather and little (or no) rain we've had over the past few months. A lot of grass fires (and a few home's) caught on fire recently, especially during the 4th of July festivities. We'll see in a few days......

genedig65
07-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Searching the 'net says stay with the oversized fins.

So, if I'm using the F-1 nozzles and non-scale fins, is the CP location still going to need to be about 13 inches from the end of the S-IC? Or does this location need to change since the overall length of the model has changed?

Jeff Walther
07-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Has anyone built the 1/100th scale Sat V's with scale fins and F-1 nozzles in place during flight? If so, how did you handle stability?.

If you build it with F1 nozzles in place, how do you do that? Specifically, what do you use for the F1 nozzles? The display nozzles with the tops drilled out?

genedig65
07-09-2009, 08:31 AM
My intention is to permanently affix four of the five F-1 nozzles in their outboard locations, then reposition the motor mount such that it extends into the space occupied by the center F-1. I don't think I'll place a dummy nozzle over the center motor mount. I'll probably just paint the motor mount silver. An E15 would be my engine of choice.

Martins4xf
09-23-2010, 10:59 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a set of plans for an Estes Saturn V #2001?
I tried to print the plans on JimZ and for whatever reason, when I went to print all I got were blank pages.

Help!