PDA

View Full Version : New Design -- Delta IV Medium 4,0 [1:120 Scale]

CPMcGraw
07-11-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm sharing this early view of the larger 1:120 scale Delta IV Medium to get some feedback from those of you who are familiar with the details. There is a lot more that I'm trying to get onto this version, as opposed to the smaller version. The nose cone is closer to being accurate, as I am referencing the shape from photos of the GOES-N and GOES-O launchers.

This design is still in its development life, and is not yet being added to the master list.

Enjoy!

andrew scott
07-11-2009, 07:45 PM
CPMcGraw All your Delta designs are cool way cool :D :cool:

CPMcGraw
07-12-2009, 12:36 AM
I have been trying to get the dimensions for the basic core version as accurate as I could, and found a wonderful thing: The payload diameter for the 4m versions scales down to ST-13 tubing, within a fraction of an inch. So, the 24mm version of the D4M4 uses stock ST-16 and ST-13 tubing, with just three major turned parts. The nose cone is a round-tip conical, and the upper transition is just a 2" BR-1316. The rear transition is cored for ST-9 tubing, but shaped to match the rear engine shroud of the prototype. This makes the bottom of the shroud, and the engine bell, a plug-in piece for display.

Again, for those of you more familiar with the details of the D4 family, please let me know where my measurements are out. Even if I'm off a few 100ths of an inch here-and-there, I think it's a lot closer to scale than my first attempts (the smaller version was based on the drawings found on the Astronautix site, and they're not quite right).

Enjoy!

Minor addendum: The fins are shown as 0.05" clear Lexan, with TTW tabs. The plug-in engine piece is included in the RKT file, but is hidden in the 3D image. The length of the model is 20.6", which corresponds with the listed 206' of the prototype.

Delta-IV
07-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Very good work, on my medium rocket I was able to use smaller fins and have had real good success. You'll have to add some weight to the nose possibly to get the CG more forward though.