PDA

View Full Version : New Design: Sky-Max

James Pierson
07-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Here is another open fin design I call the Sky-Max. It used a BTC-60A balsa tube coupler as the aft transition with the shoulder sanded off. I tend to learn by trial and error with these design and have made a simple structural correction to the forward fin attachment by elongating the fin root. The Outpost Voyager has such a fault with the 1/8" dowels glued to a centering ring transition and upon landing this "weak point" has lead to the dowels popping loose on three out of four flights :o A longer sub fin or fin root should fix this problem in the future.
Live, Fly and Learn. Note To Self! :D

Enjoy and Thanks Again, JP.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

mycrofte
07-16-2009, 03:20 AM
That's cool. We were just doodling something like that on a napkin yesterday morning! But we couldn't quite get the fins right.

P.S. Since my RockSim 9 Demo ran out, she wants to know if you could color one in periwinkle.

:D

garmtn
07-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Heres my latest creation. Glenn NAR 89197

mycrofte
07-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Here is a picture of her "Periwinkle" design. She did this up on a napkin the other morning and then I showed her the Sky Max!

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/Mycrofte/Current%20Build/Periwinkle_02.jpg

James Pierson
07-21-2009, 08:57 PM
That's cool. We were just doodling something like that on a napkin yesterday morning! But we couldn't quite get the fins right.

P.S. Since my RockSim 9 Demo ran out, she wants to know if you could color one in periwinkle.

:D

mycrofte, ya really had me confused :confused: with that periwinkle color. Now that I see that color it looks good. Will have to see what R9 can come close to that color. The Periwinkle design looks good as well.

Thanks, JP.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

mycrofte
07-22-2009, 06:09 AM
This will be her second rocket and her first design. I tried to get her to build your Sky Max but she insisted the fins go down to a point.

Without RockSim, I just drew this up in Illustrator. Today, I hope to print out the fins on cardstock to trace onto the balsa sheet.

I had forgotten Periwinkle even was a color until she brought it up.