PDA

View Full Version : Projects

SEL
03-23-2005, 05:39 PM
OK, I'll go first. These are a few of the half-finished rockets in my closet.
I'm posting the pictures in the hope that it'll embarass me into finishing them
within the next few weeks. If on or two of you guys would throw a "How're those rockets commin' along , there, Sean?" I'd appreciate it.

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-23-2005, 06:26 PM
The Space Plane is on my list, but has only been there for a week or so. I like the FSI kits. What are they?

SEL
03-23-2005, 06:35 PM
The Space Plane is on my list, but has only been there for a week or so. I like the FSI kits. What are they?

The one on the left is the Excalibur. The other one is a Estes kit, the name of which escapes me at the moment. Note the different lengths of the cones on the side pods of the Excalibur. FSI had some problems with their quality control.

Sean

SEL
03-23-2005, 06:38 PM

That Space Plane has been 'on the bench' since 1993. All it really needs is the skid on the bottom, the elastic for the elevons, a launch lug and paint.

Bob H
03-23-2005, 08:02 PM
I have been flying my 1967 vintage space plane since rejoining the hobby last may.

I have a 13mm spaceplane ready that only needs paint and elastic.

And a MMX spaceplane that only needs launching!

As to what projects I am working on....

I have a clone of the Centuri SST Shuttle 95% complete. Needs sealer and paint.

I always wanted one as a companion to my Estes Orbital Transporter.

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-24-2005, 05:28 AM
Just off the top of my head.......
1. Estes Andromeda - Summer 2001
2. BFTP Space Shuttle - Fall 2001
3. Shrox Icarus - Fall 2001
4. MPC Flare Patriot - Fall 2001
5. MPC Space Twins - Winter 2001
6. Estes S.W.A.T. - Spring 2002
7. Mercury Little Joe (conversion from Estes Mercury Redstone) - Summer 2002
8. Apollo Little Joe (Apogee capsule) - Fall 2002
9. Blossom V-2 - Winter 2002
10. Estes Alien Invader - Spring 2003
11. Custom Dynamic Carrier - Spring 2003
12. Rocketpad Astron Invader - Summer 2003
13. Semroc Laser X - Winter 2004
14. Estes Big Dawg - Spring 2004
15. Rocketpad Gyroc - Spring 2004
16. Cosmik Debris - Summer 2004
17. Custom Satellite Drone - Fall 2004
18. FlisKits Farscape - Winter 2004
19. Semroc Space Plane - Spring 2005
20. Sigma Black Brant variant - Spring 2005

Most of these I have construction pics of, but I have to find them. In several cases, something about the kit either turned out badly or scared me, causing me to abandon the project until I grew a new pair. :eek:

gpoehlein
03-24-2005, 06:57 AM
Hmm... what's on my build table? Lets see...

I've got a Semroc Sky Hook that just needs paint.
There's a modified Sky Dart (diff shape to wings, tail and nose) that I'm sanding and sealing.
An Estes Nighthawk in search of a boost pod (and S&S).
A Maxi Alpha that still needs some fins.
A downscaled Estes Aerofin (BT-5 wrap, MMX powered) that still needs its fins.
And an upscale X-ray on which I just finished the transition. Made the transition out of cardstock, and the super glue coating is drying even as I type this. I found some fluorescent light shield tubes that are almost perfect for a BT-60 (the nose will need a bit of shimming, but it isn't so big that it falls through. I'm using a Stormcaster nose for this rocket.

Greg

dtomko
03-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Interceptor clone Fall 2003 - finally getting decaled
Scissor-Wing Transport clone- summer 2001 - half built
Semroc Laser-X - summer 2003? - white paint done
Estes Sprite clone - summer 2000??? needs filling and painting
Missile Toe clone - fall 2004 - just needs chute
Proton Zond scratch - needs nose weight and chute
Energia/Buran conversion from Estes Space Shuttle - spring 2001? - Energia done, mostly. messed up Buran and waiting for new sheet styrene for vacuum forming
Estes Mercury Redstone spring 199?- cloned using merc capsule parts. painted, but dullcoat yellowed, so I am going to use the paper wraps downloaded free to redo it.

unbuilt:
Estes Saturn V
1/100 Saturn 1B clone, have most of the parts
Estes Outlander to Mars Lander conversion (have BT from R2-D2)
Estes Gemini Titan clone
Estes Space Shuttle Columbia to Buran conversion (got used Columbia off eBay)

Drew Tomko

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Interceptor clone Fall 2003 - finally getting decaled
Estes Sprite clone - summer 2000??? needs filling and painting
Missile Toe clone - fall 2004 - just needs chute

I've had the Interceptor parts cut out ever since I bought the nose cone, pods and tail piece from Moldin' Oldies back in 2002 or 2003. My attempt at a Sprite is sitting on the shelf above my computer and dates back to 2002. I had trouble making the small balsa parts that go on the outside of the ring fit correctly and got discouraged.
I'd love to see a pic of the Missle Toe clone. Better yet, can you send the patterns to Scott? I don't think they're available anywhere yet.

Initiator001
03-25-2005, 01:18 AM
I just finished building a Semroc SLS Scorpion kit.

Now all I have to do is come up with a paint scheme for it.

Bob

Ltvscout
03-25-2005, 09:00 AM
I'd love to see a pic of the Missle Toe clone. Better yet, can you send the patterns to Scott? I don't think they're available anywhere yet.
Yes, that would be great if you could send that info to me, Drew. I'll post it on YORP.

Bob H
03-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Just off the top of my head.......
1. Estes Andromeda - Summer 2001
2. BFTP Space Shuttle - Fall 2001
3. Shrox Icarus - Fall 2001

If your going to be that way.... How about

Astron Shrike - 1971... needs paint and decals.
Astron SkyDart - 1972 ... needs paint, decals and elastic.
MPC Flat Cat - 1972 ... needs paint.
Astron Gyroc - 1972 ... needs paint and elastic.

I was almost ashamed to mention them... Geez, more than 30 years.

Ltvscout
03-25-2005, 06:03 PM
If your going to be that way.... How about

Astron Shrike - 1971... needs paint and decals.
Astron SkyDart - 1972 ... needs paint, decals and elastic.
MPC Flat Cat - 1972 ... needs paint.
Astron Gyroc - 1972 ... needs paint and elastic.

I was almost ashamed to mention them... Geez, more than 30 years.
Heh, I'm as bad as you, Bob. When I dug out my rocket stuff in the mid 90's I found that I have the following started (from around the mid 70's) but unfinished Centuri kits:

Egg Crate
Long Tom
Black Widow

dtomko
03-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Yes, that would be great if you could send that info to me, Drew. I'll post it on YORP.
Scott and Bill,
Here's a pic of the Toe. I got the patterns from Fred at Excelsior; they come along with his repro decals. You should ask him if he's willing to share the patterns. The rest of the instructions are on Jim Z's site. This is a great one. My kids were hysterical when they saw it.
BTW, I finished decaling the body of the Interceptor, but had to give the nose cone another coat of white because it was still a little off. So of course I rushed to do it today in the humidity and it came out awfully. One step forward, two steps back. Attached is a picture of the body. Also a shot of my Sprite clone. Those balsa pieces on the outside of the ring are a pain. I am really disappointed by the vent hole on mine; I couldn't get it really round - too far up the tube to use a hole puncher. I have delusions of painting it white with the pinstripe-y red trim like the picture with the plans on Jim Z's site
Drew

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Is that toe nail on backward? That could be a part of the problem.

dtomko
03-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Is that toe nail on backward? That could be a part of the problem.
Ha! Not according to Estes! Funny, I had the same impression, but wanted to make it an "authentic" clone. I was going to say warts and all, but they didn't include decals for those!

Doug Sams
03-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Also a shot of my Sprite clone. Those balsa pieces on the outside of the ring are a pain.

Yes, they are, but a little FNF and some careful sanding will make them perfect. You may need to make two passes. I managed to fill in the the seams on mine quite nicely, but over-sanded the forward tips and had to build them back out adding a couple more passes.

http://home.flash.net/~samily/SSS/
http://home.flash.net/~samily/SSS/sss4-1.jpg

I am really disappointed by the vent hole on mine; I couldn't get it really round - too far up the tube to use a hole puncher.

You can sand it to shape using some 150 grit wrapped around a dowel. I made mine oversize to tolerate the hot ejection charges Estes has been putting in the motors lately. Before sanding, I put some CA on a Q-tip and worked it around the opening and on the backside (inside the tube). This keeps the paper from fuzzying up while you're sanding.

I have delusions of painting it white with the pinstripe-y red trim like the picture with the plans on Jim Z's site

If you can do that, we'll start calling you Drewalangelo. Drew Vinci?

Doug

stefanj
03-26-2005, 11:42 AM
A Loadlifter! I built one of those once. As I recall I gave it to someone during one of my periodic clean-outs.

I really like that "Centaur." (Rakish-looking two stager.) I would put it on the list, but I have SO many half-built and unstarted models.

In a box in the storage area are two Jaguars (scratch built), a Starfire, a Scorpion, and a Deep Space Transport, all awaiting finishing.

On the dining room table are the fins from a project I started last year: Two BT-80H based "big light three fin and a nosecone" models. I originally designed them to fly stock certificates for a startup company "launch" that never happened. The fins were big enough to need to be built up from pieces. I just glued basswood strips on the tip edge of the balsa fins. When the weather is better I will sand in the trailing-edge tapers.

I have a Gemini-Titan II (old Estes cluster model) I need to build a new fin unit for, and that needs its need shroud finished.

I have all sorts of things in my back-burner-project box. A Colonial Viper. A Draconian Marauder. A AAA Aerobee. A Mars Lander, which will need all sorts of new parts; I haven't worked on it for at least a decade.

Stefan

SEL
03-26-2005, 11:55 AM
A Loadlifter! I built one of those once. As I recall I gave it to someone during one of my periodic clean-outs.

I really like that "Centaur." (Rakish-looking two stager.) I would put it on the list, but I have SO many half-built and unstarted models.

Stefan

Yeah, the Loadlifter1-A has always been one of those "I gotta build one of those someday" rockets I've been looking at since I first saw it in the Design Manual back in '67, along with th Mini-X.
Actually, I just put it together 2 weeks ago.

The Centaur has been sitting around since 1998 or so.

As for the the others, there are too many to list. I just picked 5 at random to get started.

Sean

ShieldWolf
03-31-2005, 07:03 PM
I was cleaning out the closet the other day and came across 2 boxes of rockets needing assembly/repairs/TLC.
Quark- a mouse chewed off the fins.
Gyroc clone- needs the masking tape I used for hinges replaced. Any sugestions?
Phoenix- need to finish shaping the fins and paint.
Silver Comet- just needs some TLC.
Mini X-Wing- need to make replacement fins and replace the streamer. Darn mouse!
Big Betty- needs paint.
RTF Mars Lander- just needs TLC.
Fat Boy- nicks in fins need filled and painted.
Tomcat parasite glider- needs a fin re-inforced and a coat of paint on the brick... er, glider.
R2D2- unassembled.
Mean Machine- unassembled
Another Fat Boy- unassembled
Tie fighter- needs re-glued
Standard X-Wing- TLC
Tomahawk- new parachute rigging
Quest Cruise Missle- New parachute rigging
and several 3/4FNC's with varying degrees of nicks and dents.

How long have they been in the closet? Since right after the fire at Estes.

Bob H
03-31-2005, 08:47 PM
Yeah, the Loadlifter1-A has always been one of those "I gotta build one of those someday" rockets I've been looking at since I first saw it in the Design Manual back in '67, along with the Mini-X.

Sean
Sean,

Yeah, I always liked the Loadlifter 1-A. I was thinking about building one after seeing the plans while scanning an old MRN issue.

It was in Model Rocket News Vol. 4 No. 1 (posted right here on YORS) and then later in the Design Manual.

You need to post the finished rocket after painting.

Bob

SEL
04-01-2005, 12:25 AM
Sean,

Yeah, I always liked the Loadlifter 1-A. I was thinking about building one after seeing the plans while scanning an old MRN issue.

It was in Model Rocket News Vol. 4 No. 1 (posted right here on YORS) and then later in the Design Manual.

Bob

Will do, as soon as we get some decent weather here in the North West.

Sean

SEL
04-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Sean,

Bob

By the way - where's Douglas, MA? I grew up just North of Boston in Woburn, but Douglas
dosn't ring a bell.

Sean

Bob H
04-01-2005, 06:24 PM
By the way - where's Douglas, MA? I grew up just North of Boston in Woburn, but Douglas doesn't ring a bell.

Sean

First get a map of NOWHERE, find the middle, and there it is! ;)

When I bought my property 12 years ago, the big selling point was that the road was "Paved all the way to the center of town now". :rolleyes:

It's on the MA / RI border about where RI and CT meet.

SEL
04-02-2005, 12:18 AM
First get a map of NOWHERE, find the middle, and there it is! ;)

When I bought my property 12 years ago, the big selling point was that the road was "Paved all the way to the center of town now". :rolleyes:

It's on the MA / RI border about where RI and CT meet.

Whoa - that's way down there. Do you ever get up to fly with CMASS?

Sean

Bob H
04-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Whoa - that's way down there. Do you ever get up to fly with CMASS?

Sean
Yup, I belong to CMASS and went to all the launches from July on last year.

It's only a 2 hour drive.

CPMcGraw
04-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Since no one else said anything...

That Estes kit in pic #4 is the IRIS, #2007, as nekkid as it can be...

It's a carry-over from the Centuri #KC-14, using BT-50 tubing compared to the original ST-8...

Craig

CPMcGraw
04-05-2005, 12:14 AM
The one on the left is the Excalibur. The other one is a Estes kit, the name of which escapes me at the moment. Note the different lengths of the cones on the side pods of the Excalibur. FSI had some problems with their quality control.

Sean

Sorry, was looking at the wrong picture... :(

USS Pleaides, #1910...

Craig...

Initiator001
04-08-2005, 10:57 PM
It's been about two weeks since I finished building my Semroc SLS Scorpion kit.

I finished with the paint and decal work this evening.

I plan to fly it at the National Sport Launch in early May.

Will anyone else from this group be attending the NSL?

Bob

Ltvscout
04-08-2005, 11:04 PM
It's been about two weeks since I finished building my Semroc SLS Scorpion kit.

I finished with the paint and decal work this evening.

I plan to fly it at the National Sport Launch in early May.

Will anyone else from this group be attending the NSL?

Bob
Great finish on that Scorpion, Bob! Unfortunately, I'm going to be at our place on the lake up north that weekend.

Maniac BAR
04-23-2005, 04:56 PM
These are the last two I have been working on. :) The blue/silver is an Optima clone taken and built straight out of the JimZ plans and the unfinished one is a mega upscale BT-80 of the Maxi Red Max. I ment to upscale the Red Max but didn't realize I had used the other larger one to scale up. :o But then it allowed me to try my new interchangeable motor mounting system. :p
Anyone know where the heck I can get some orange metal flake tape to finish the Optima? It's the last bit I need to do to completely finish it.
Would anyone be interested in a complete kit of the motor mount system?
I also have included a picture of my design of an antizipper bead and heatshrink tubing to cover the knot you get when you join the Kevlar and elastic shock cords together. My shroud lines seem to hang up alot on the knot until I covered them with the tubing.

CPMcGraw
04-26-2005, 04:51 PM
After seeing the pics of Der Red Max, I finally got around to starting one of my own. It's been on my "to do" list for some time, but not one of the priorities... :rolleyes:

My starting point is a HL-purchased Screamin' Mimi (good starting point for a lot of classics! :D ), but I had to hand-cut the 2060 rings from some craft board found at Staples.

Craig...

Bob H
04-26-2005, 09:05 PM
After seeing the pics of Der Red Max, I finally got around to starting one of my own. It's been on my "to do" list for some time, but not one of the priorities... :rolleyes:

My starting point is a HL-purchased Screamin' Mimi (good starting point for a lot of classics! :D ), but I had to hand-cut the 2060 rings from some craft board found at Staples.

Craig...

I just used the 2060 rings from a Baby Bertha kit and put the 24mm mount into the Baby Bertha. ;)

You could also use the "sound tubes" from the Mimi and put a three motor cluster in the B.B. :rolleyes:

CPMcGraw
04-26-2005, 11:06 PM
I just used the 2060 rings from a Baby Bertha kit and put the 24mm mount into the Baby Bertha. ;)

You could also use the "sound tubes" from the Mimi and put a three motor cluster in the B.B. :rolleyes:

I 'partly' did one of those suggestions -- I used one of Mimi's sound tubes for the engine tube, and one of the thin rings for an engine block. The wire-art sculpture Estes calls an engine hook :rolleyes: was straightened out and turned around, which gives me the "standard" clip end at the rear. I had a mylar ring from a Hi Flyer kit left over, and used that as a hook retention, much like the original kit.

Craig...