PDA

View Full Version : Newbie parachute question

lakedawgs
08-03-2009, 06:18 AM
HI,
Launched our first rocket Sunday. Had fun, no problems. Noticed that our little Hi-Jinks Estes would almost disappear with the lowest power engine at about 200-250'
What color parachute shows up best against a basic blue sky?
Thanks,
Lakedawgs

chanstevens
08-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Black tends to do well, or any fairly dark color. I tend to prefer Mylar also, which is pretty reflective.

GregGleason
08-03-2009, 10:15 AM
What color parachute shows up best against a basic blue sky?
Lakedawgs

A better question might be, "What parachute looks best in multiple sky scenarios and on the ground?"

For me it is the international/day-glow orange. Because this color is so unnatural, the human eye can't help but pick it out. This is especially helpful in when your rocket is down in the brush. I get my parachutes from Top Flight (http://www.topflightrecoveryllc.com/) , with the 12" thin mill best suited for most modroc applications. Also, it looks great against a blue sky.

Greg

lakedawgs
08-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks to both.
One rocket has a checkered chute but the other has a white chute, very hard to see, but the rocket is black.
Just wondering if I do change what is good. I like the dayglow orange, especially with a dark rocket.
THANKS,
Lakedawgs

bob jablonski
08-03-2009, 10:30 AM
We use Mylar chutes for the visibility here at Starlight. Alot easyer to see on the ground and air.
Mr. Bob
Starlight dude
www.starlightrocketry.com

GregGleason
08-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks to both.
... the other has a white chute, very hard to see, but the rocket is black.

It is not surprising that a white chute can be hard to see. I remember reading/seeing (can't remember since it's been so long) that in WWII tests were conducted to make aircraft hard to see visually. They put a series of white lights on a test aircraft (IIRC, a USN TBF Avenger or something like it) and lo and behold the aircraft became nearly invisible in the sky. It seems counter-intuitive but apparently it worked. But it was not practical, so the experiment was dropped. There is however a reason that nearly all US fighter aircraft are a matte light gray, it's pretty hard to see in most skies. And in a dogfight, confusing your enemy, even for a tenth of a second, can make the difference between becoming a casualty and coming home.

Greg

lakedawgs
08-03-2009, 11:18 AM
My wife took video of one launch that is marginal at best. I was happy she even got the rocket in the frame.
My boy had a great time. This will be a great hobby for the both of us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zPTcktA0sc

barone
08-04-2009, 12:04 AM
My wife took video of one launch that is marginal at best. I was happy she even got the rocket in the frame.
My boy had a great time. This will be a great hobby for the both of us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zPTcktA0sc
Marginal? You must be a perfectionist.... :chuckle:

That's a great video! Check around at some of the other video of rocket launches. Your wife had the rocket in the frame the entire launch. Wish I could do that....wait, better yet, wish MY wife could do that....I'd rather be pushing the launch button.... :D

be69ar
08-05-2009, 05:39 PM
...seems like this might be a good time to let you all know about the change in our parachutes colors. As you know, our old chutes were printed yellow/black on whilte or orange on white or that really aweful lime green and black. Anyway, with the new Fed requirements, we had to change to a plain parachute really fast. We could find a white that was compliant, so we purchased those to use short term until we could find an alternative. We now have an orange/red that really shows up well in the air or on the ground (image of an 18" attached). They have been inserting these new chutes since early this spring, so it will tak a while to get into all our products...but they are coming and this will be our color for the foreseeable future.
Mike Fritz
Estes

Ltvscout
08-05-2009, 06:50 PM
...seems like this might be a good time to let you all know about the change in our parachutes colors. We now have an orange/red that really shows up well in the air or on the ground (image of an 18" attached).
No identifiable logo on the chutes?

RandyT0001
08-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Anyway, with the new Fed requirements, we had to change to a plain parachute really fast. We could find a white that was compliant, so we purchased those to use short term until we could find an alternative. We now have an orange/red that really shows up well in the air or on the ground (image of an 18" attached). They have been inserting these new chutes since early this spring, so it will tak a while to get into all our products...but they are coming and this will be our color for the foreseeable future.

Ok I missed this. What new Federal requirement? Are 'chutes not permitted to be multicolored or checkered? Does this new rule apply to all model rockets inc scratch built or home made or just commercial model rockets?

GregGleason
08-05-2009, 08:19 PM
What new Federal requirement?

Congress passed a law that had just about zero-tolerance on lead content, more or less targeting Chinese imports. The pigments in the chutes may have had trace amounts of lead that would have been a concern to those who watch such things. It was easier for Estes to have chutes with no color and get on with business than to wait for chutes that met the criteria of the congressional mandate. At least that is what I remember of the story. So it's not the pattern, it's the pigment.

Greg

JRThro
08-05-2009, 09:10 PM
...seems like this might be a good time to let you all know about the change in our parachutes colors. As you know, our old chutes were printed yellow/black on whilte or orange on white or that really aweful lime green and black. Anyway, with the new Fed requirements, we had to change to a plain parachute really fast. We could find a white that was compliant, so we purchased those to use short term until we could find an alternative. We now have an orange/red that really shows up well in the air or on the ground (image of an 18" attached). They have been inserting these new chutes since early this spring, so it will tak a while to get into all our products...but they are coming and this will be our color for the foreseeable future.
Mike Fritz
Estes
Looks good to me, Mike!

These will also be the parachutes that are sold separately, right?

lakedawgs
08-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Thanks Mike,
The orange looks great! My kit came with two white chutes. I plan to make some new ones, experimenting with some stuff I have and keep the white ones in my field box as extras.
Already wanting another rocket kit, I'm thinking about the Big Bertha. I am getting some suggestions for it from the board and buddies at work.
THANKS,
Lakedawgs

be69ar
08-06-2009, 09:24 AM
No identifiable logo on the chutes?

...no coloration at all...the ink printed on the chutes was the issue and our vendor could not be trusted to use non lead based inks....so we went to a plain color and advise the consumer to use colored markers if they want a pattern on their chute.
Mike

be69ar
08-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Looks good to me, Mike!

These will also be the parachutes that are sold separately, right?

...yep, just as soon as we get caught up we'll start to pack them as separates for sale....probably not till sometime this fall. I have 12', 18' and 24" in the color shown. We've flown them all...same plastic material, just lead and "phthalate" free. The last chemical is getting to be an issue, especially in the State of California....but all states are beginning to adopte new requirements for no lead or lead levels of 40ppm (which is almost the natually occuring amount in dirt), so we thought to just move to a clean chute now and not fight the ink issue. There are lead free inks out there, but if you listen to the news (Fisher Price was fined 2.7 million dollars a few months ago for lead in their paint for childred)...the vendors cannot be trusted to use the correct components.

Mike

be69ar
08-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Congress passed a law that had just about zero-tolerance on lead content, more or less targeting Chinese imports. The pigments in the chutes may have had trace amounts of lead that would have been a concern to those who watch such things. It was easier for Estes to have chutes with no color and get on with business than to wait for chutes that met the criteria of the congressional mandate. At least that is what I remember of the story. So it's not the pattern, it's the pigment.

Greg

Greg is correct...the original bill was called HR 4040, but it is now referred to CPSIA...which had grown and changed a great deal since Congress passed it. If you read the bill that Congress wrote (a bill with no science behind it), the way it is written is that alll childrens books in all libraries or book stores would be non compliant and requre distruction. However Congress said that's not what they intended....but it is what they wrote.
The whole deal is a mess and CPSC has been charged to enforce it, but even that agency doesn't want anything to do with it...such is life these days.
Mike

Ltvscout
08-06-2009, 12:58 PM
...no coloration at all...the ink printed on the chutes was the issue and our vendor could not be trusted to use non lead based inks....so we went to a plain color and advise the consumer to use colored markers if they want a pattern on their chute.
Mike
I forgot about that. Thanks for refreshing my memory. ;)