PDA

View Full Version : Estes 36 D Squared

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-23-2005, 05:29 PM
I had to take my son out to Florence today, so I swung by the Hobby Lobby in hopes of finding a few Baby Berthas. I found one, but I also picked up the new 36DD. I could hardly wait to get home and blow her up, er, I mean, open it up. Close up, it's as ugly as you'd imagined, but there's a potential for a cool rocket buried under all the cheese. The transition sections are pretty interesting, and it has two 15" sections of BT-50 as motor tubes. From the last transition to the top it looks like a Bertha variant, and I suspect that this might be so. Same nose cone. Decals are incredibly ugly, but they're waterslide decals, not stickers. They look like a bad tattoo, even by todays standards. Overall, I'd say this is a kit with a lot of promise and the potential for some kitbash magic. I might even pull my wand out and give it a try, er, I mean, see if I can come up with a good alternate design.
Another cool feature is the laser cut balsa fins. I also like the fact that the instruction sheet gives details about what parts are used. Not quite as detailed as the old days, but a definite step up from where we've been. :cool: