PDA

View Full Version : Estes Power Plex Launch Pad

traveler
08-07-2009, 10:22 PM
If the Estes Power Plex Launch Pad (1993 - 1996) was MIB, what would it look like? Would it be in a box? Plastic Bag? Box color? Bag tag?

And the Command Launch controller? What would it look like if it was new?

??? :cool: ???

PaulK
08-08-2009, 12:36 AM
The controller came in a box, not sure about the pad.

traveler
08-14-2009, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the reply PaulK.

Looks like not very many people had a Power Plex Launch Pad or Command Launch Controller.

:cool:

Mark II
08-14-2009, 04:53 AM
I have never seen either one "in the wild," so to speak.

MarkII

DaveR
08-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the reply PaulK.

Looks like not very many people had a Power Plex Launch Pad or Command Launch Controller.

I have a Command Launch Controller. I like it. It has enough power (14.4 volts) to launch anything I'll ever fly. It came in a box which I threw out, but here's a link to what it looks like:
http://www.hobbylinc.com/gr/est/est2234.htm

traveler
08-15-2009, 04:13 AM
I have never seen either one "in the wild," so to speak.

MarkII
Here it is in action. (From a well known website)

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/pix/turbocop.jpg
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/launch.5.26.97.html
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/launch.1.17.98.html

Jimid123
08-15-2009, 01:57 PM
If the Estes Power Plex Launch Pad (1993 - 1996) was MIB, what would it look like? Would it be in a box? Plastic Bag? Box color? Bag tag?

And the Command Launch controller? What would it look like if it was new?

??? :cool: ???

Hi, I had one of these Pads at one time. They were packed in a box. Take Care, Jimi

mycrofte
08-16-2009, 01:57 AM
I didn't know Estes even made such a thing. Makes me want to run out and buy some 1/2" PVC pipe...

STRMan
08-16-2009, 07:29 AM
I hope the tooling for this still exists. What a great product to bring back, as more and more BARs experiment with higher powered rockets. That has got to be the first Estes launch pad I've seen that I wouldn't consider "disposable".

PaulK
08-17-2009, 07:52 PM
I hope the tooling for this still exists. What a great product to bring back, as more and more BARs experiment with higher powered rockets. That has got to be the first Estes launch pad I've seen that I wouldn't consider "disposable".It is a nice mid power pad, but has drawbacks. Nice in that it folds up small, and sets up quickly. It is quite light, so it doesn't stay put as well as homemade metal or heavy pvc pads, and can use staking down for larger birds, but the holes in the feet are inside the legs, so it is nearly impossible to get stakes in there. The legs don't lock in place, so lifting it up causes the legs to dangle - a minor annoyance when moving it around, and a possible problem if a powerful mid-power bird would hang up, if not staked down. Adjusting the rod angle is easy, just loosen the giant plastic "wing nut" underneath - though when tightening it, it is hard to keep the angle just right - easier than a mantis pad, but less precise. This giant plastic wing nut is a failure point - there is a brass insert, but I'm careful not to overtorque it. I don't use the stock blast deflector, I prefer angled deflectors to prevent scorching the bottom of my rockets, so use a homemade 45 degree one. The rods are held in by friction, so changeout is quick (unlike the mantis), but over time, I suppose the holes could loosen up some. Oh, and of course it comes with a 2 piece rod (for packaging), but I use single piece rods. Despite these drawbacks, I still like it.

ghrocketman
08-17-2009, 11:01 PM
A hobby shop near my work still has one for sale.
Seems kinda pricey at $59.99.
I offered $40.00 a few weeks ago and they turned me down flat even though the thing must have been sitting there for 15 years.
They still have old stock of Aero Gloss dope in can sizes that have not been available since the late 70's/early 80's. I know QUARTS of Cessna Green and Curtiss Blue dope have not been available since then. They keep raising the price labels on the cans though.....

Nutty BAR
08-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Hi everyone, Just saw North Coast/Estes Command Launch Controller MIB, still on the shelf of a local hobby store. Is it worth picking up for $45?