PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Estes and Centuri parts

mercsim
08-09-2009, 11:11 AM
I recently moved and found a ton of old Estes and Centuri stuff that needs a new home. I am not sure how to handle this but if you ABSOLUTELY need something, I'll send it to you. If you need an old part you can't see in the photos, let me know. I only took about half out of the box for the picture. Please don't e-mail me and say "I'll take it all".

I know the motors are hard to ship but if you really want/need something, do the research and help me. I don't want to spend a lot of time giving stuff away. I also don't want to spend a lot of time packaging stuff to ship. If you really want something, pay the postage and let me send it in one of those little USPS priority boxes.

The list of motors has been in the box for probably 10 years . Its my writing but I don't know how accurate it is. I didn't check it.

Scott

sj_h1
08-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Its difficult to make am offer without a complete list of what you have. Plus since I don't know where you are so I have no idea of what the shipping would be.

TXFergie
08-09-2009, 04:57 PM
PM sent inquiring about some nose cones. Thanks..Rick

sj_h1
08-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Check your PMs Please!

mercsim
08-09-2009, 06:35 PM
OK. I got a million responses...I asked you not tell me "I'll take the whole lot" and I had a few of those. I also had a few insults telling me I couldn't legally ship motors. I also had a few insults telling me "How can I make you an offer if I don't know where you live....

What part of FREE don't people get?

There were a few genuine requests for individual parts. This is what I was looking for. Its not about the money. I am willing to give parts to people that need something in particular or want some old Centuri parts for a collection. I think there is enough to share. I really wanted to spread the wealth and not see the lot go to somoene elses's closet for another ten years. I wanted to be generous and NOT sell parts on ebay. Besides, sometimes its way more fun to give stuff away.

I'll put together an itemized list. There are a lot of ejection baffles, centering rings, shock cord mounts, screw eyes, streamers, balsa nosecones, and the list goes on...Give me a little time and I'll list out everything. I couldn't match any of the particular nose cone requests but I will list them the best I can.

One day I might regret giving it all away but I have dozens of rocket kits (and even more plastic models and R/C airplanes) to build and the last thing I need is a bunch pf parts I may never use. Hopefully they can one day take to the air or serve someone's collection...

Scott

JRThro
08-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Scott,

PM sent, and thanks for sharing your vintage items.

sj_h1
08-09-2009, 07:25 PM
When it comes to the motors, you may want to give them to whatever rocket club is closest and give them away to them. You could give them to Boy Scouts or YMCA, but the problem is if they are that old, they may have some issues. A rocket club would know that and take the extra precautions. Just a thought since mailing/shipping will be any issue. If you just want to be rid of them just soak them in water for an hour or so and the casing will fall apart and dissolve the BP.

jeffyjeep
08-09-2009, 07:46 PM
I don't need anything. but your generousity is exemplary! Jeff

Ltvscout
08-09-2009, 07:47 PM
OK. I got a million responses...I asked you not tell me "I'll take the whole lot" and I had a few of those.

You also contradict yourself. This is from your original post.

"I don't want to spend a lot of time giving stuff away. I also don't want to spend a lot of time packaging stuff to ship."

You're going to do exactly that if you piecemeal stuff out.

sj_h1
08-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Hey...he is giving it away shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Jimid123
08-09-2009, 08:25 PM
I recently moved and found a ton of old Estes and Centuri stuff that needs a new home. I am not sure how to handle this but if you ABSOLUTELY need something, I'll send it to you. If you need an old part you can't see in the photos, let me know. I only took about half out of the box for the picture. Please don't e-mail me and say "I'll take it all".

I know the motors are hard to ship but if you really want/need something, do the research and help me. I don't want to spend a lot of time giving stuff away. I also don't want to spend a lot of time packaging stuff to ship. If you really want something, pay the postage and let me send it in one of those little USPS priority boxes.

The list of motors has been in the box for probably 10 years . Its my writing but I don't know how accurate it is. I didn't check it.

Scott

Hi Scott, You can ship motors through the US Post Office by Parcel Post Only. Mark the box "Toy Propellant Devices".

Take Care, Jimi

Royatl
08-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Hi Scott, You can ship motors through the US Post Office by Parcel Post Only. Mark the box "Toy Propellant Devices".

Take Care, Jimi

It has been said many times here, you are taking a *very big* risk doing that. You might be able to get it past your local post office, but if it ever gets inspected along the way, expect to get fined.

I was going to send a big box of heat cycled motors to Estes about 20 years ago. Had them packed and ready to go to the post office when Mary Roberts herself called me to say "Wait for the special mailing labels I'll send you." The labels essentially said that I was mailing them as an agent of Estes. I think the regulations have been tightened even more since then, and they wouldn't even be able to do *that*.

STRMan
08-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Here we are, a large group of BAR's on a very popular Rocketry related site. Can someone, ANYONE, come forward that has EVER been fined for shipping a model rocket engine after marking the package toy propellant? I'm not talking about the potential for a fine, but an ACTUAL fine. I'm also not talking about a Postal employee that refused to ship it. I mean when a postal employee has accepted the package with no problem.

Please be honest. Don't just make up an incident or dismiss one to support your position. If there ever was such a fine, what was the $$$ amount?

ghrocketman
08-10-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm with you, STRMan.
I'm sure the one person that needlessly insists on playing "shipment cop" will chime in here though.

shockwaveriderz
08-10-2009, 11:31 AM
As far as I know, nobody has ever been fined for shipping model rocket motors thru the US mails.

Have I ever shipped model rockets through the US mails?

yes twice....not recently and I wouldn't do it again nor would I ever advise anybody to do so.

was it legal? Did I violate any laws? . According to the US Postal Manual unless you have permission to do so its not legal. You would be essentially be shipping explosives thru the US Mail. The law states thats punishable by 10 years in Federal prison and a 10K fine....

If you want the specific federal lawcite I can ost it for your perusal.

The post office employee will ask you if you are shipping anything explosive or flammable. By saying NO you are lying to a federal employee which is also a federal crime.

So there, I just confessed in public to committing a federal crime. If the Feds want to come and take me aay they may now do so. I will deny and recant everything I just said here.

Maybe you too will get your package thru with no problems....but then you might just be that very 1st person EVER to get caught..and you now know what the consequences of your actions will be.

If you feel the risk is worth the effort, go for it. How do you think the Feds will react to somebody sending explosives thru the US Mails post 9/11? Do the Math.

Jerry Irvine shipping illegal propellant and received a 40K fine..... It wasn't a criominal penalty but it was a civil fine. Maybe the feds will decide to use you as an example?

As Dirty Harry said, "are you feeling lucky punk?

Terry Dean

wilsotr
08-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Not trying to be argumentative, but postal regs do permit shipments of model rocket motors by US mail providing certain conditions are met, and they outline the conditions. IIRC, they aren't overwhelming ... the package has to be marked a certain way, and etc. The biggest obstacle was a letter to the Postmaster asking permission to make the shipment ... just wondering if any private individual has ever actually sent such a letter and received a response?

JRThro
08-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I'd certainly advise mercsim to ship the motors legally if he ends up shipping them.

Meanwhile, he's being really generous to a group of guys he doesn't really know from Adam, so do we need to start squabbling in the middle of his thread?

shockwaveriderz
08-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Not trying to be argumentative, but postal regs do permit shipments of model rocket motors by US mail providing certain conditions are met, and they outline the conditions. IIRC, they aren't overwhelming ... the package has to be marked a certain way, and etc. The biggest obstacle was a letter to the Postmaster asking permission to make the shipment ... just wondering if any private individual has ever actually sent such a letter and received a response?

Its a little more complicated than just asking US Post Office permission: Estes as I'm sure Quest, AT etc that all have permission to ship via parcel post had to provide MSDS of their products; some testing info, engineering drawings and samples of their product,etc..... I suppose an individual person could provide the required documentation but as far as I am aware only manufacturers do it....

And what do you do for companies like Centuri or Prodyne or Caoster that no longer exist?

And if they weigh more than 30g you can't use the mails.....

By in the day the larger BP motors were shipped by Railway Express (truck and train) before the days of FedEx and UPS.

As you can see, for other than curent day motors an dmanufacturers you run into some obstacles when trying to provide the required paperwork for companies and motors other than Estes or Quest or AT.

the postal DMM etc has the packaging and labeling requirements: I've spoken on several occastions to Estes technical management regarding individuals shipping motors; at one time as Roy pointed out they allowed person shipping Estes engines as an "agent" and they would send you a shipping label..... but thats the return of a product, not shipping it to a 3rd party.

Terry Dean

mercsim
08-10-2009, 10:14 PM
I owned a Hobby Shop for many years and just sold it two years ago. I received or shipped motors nearly every week. I called over there the other day and got confirmation that nothing has changed since I left. They don't magically appear n the night. The post office delivers them all over the country, every day, to thousands of Hobby shops just like mine! I don't know how it was 20 years ago but thats how it is today!

You need an authorization letter from the Post Office and the proper label on the box. I just don't feel like jumping through the hoops again to 'give' stuff away. If memory serves me, the letter is basically a form letter you present at the counter when you ship the items. It doesn't cost anything.

A little help here maybe? I could just soak them all in water and toss them or donate them to the local cub scout group to shoot them all off.

I thought it would be neat to distrubute them to collectors that thought it might be fun to have a pack or so of REALLY old motors on their shelf. Maybe its more trouble then its worth....

Scott

mojo1986
08-11-2009, 05:58 AM
I don't think you could do better with them than to donate them to a local kids' group. Who could possibly put them to better use? Just my 2 cents.

Joe

sj_h1
08-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Did anyone get anything? I guess I am a bit eager! :D

TXFergie
08-16-2009, 04:58 PM
I sent a couple of PMs about the nose cone packages, but never heard back. I will be sending it again.....

mercsim
08-16-2009, 06:44 PM
I responded to some private messages that I wouldn't be able to sort things out until this weekend. Because of a change in work schedule, I won't be able to go to the post office until Tuesday. I'll post when the first batch goes...

Scott

sj_h1
08-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks I feel much better now!

mercsim
08-18-2009, 01:20 PM
So I am heading to the post office today to ship some goody packages. Looking through the photos ( I tend to document EVERYTHING) I noticed I was missing a few addresses.

I need Scigs30 and Rocketaholic to PM addresses. If I don't get them today, I'll mail those Thursday.

I was separating motors for you guys and opened a few boxes. Some of the older Centuri ones appear to be 'leaking'. If you tap them gently or shake them, particles are coming out of both ends but mostly the nozzle. I have an old rocket buddy visiting Friday from out of State so we might ignite a few to see how they do. I'll let you know what happens...

Scott

JRThro
08-18-2009, 03:38 PM
So I am heading to the post office today to ship some goody packages.
Great, Scott!

I'm looking forward to your package, as I have a current project that can use one of the nose cones.

sj_h1
08-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks alot!!!

JRThro
08-22-2009, 08:56 PM
mercsim/Scott, were you able to get any packages in the mail?

Thanks.

sj_h1
08-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Yea, I was wondering that to since it was supposed to be in the mail Tuesday and I haven't got it yet.

JRThro
08-24-2009, 09:34 PM
I received the package today.

Everything looks great, although my son asked why the nose cones were yellow. :)

Thanks very much, Scott!

sj_h1
08-25-2009, 06:15 PM
I got my package today!!!!!! THANK YOU! :D :D :D :D

Do I send the postage to the return address on the box?

Oh, and I forgot mercsim is a GREAT GUY!

mercsim
08-25-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm glad your parts arrived. I'm sorry it took so long. Don't worry about the postage. I hope you get some good use out of some of them. I know you will never use some of the odd Centuri parts but I thought it would be fun to throw them in anyways. If you ever build anything with the parts, post some photos.

Scott

JRThro
08-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Scott,

I was going to ask you for your mailing address so I could reimburse you for the postage, because it looks like your address got cut off on the left side of the label.

Thanks for the extra parts, too! I may not use all of the Centuri parts, but there's a guy I can send them to who will probably use them.

sj_h1
08-25-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm glad your parts arrived. I'm sorry it took so long. Don't worry about the postage. I hope you get some good use out of some of them. I know you will never use some of the odd Centuri parts but I thought it would be fun to throw them in anyways. If you ever build anything with the parts, post some photos.

Scott

Actually, I can use most of the parts you sent and I have several projects in mind. Thanks again.