PDA

View Full Version : Solar Launch Controller Parts

DaBigE
08-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Hi All,

I am looking for some Old Estes Solar Launch Controller parts. Specifically, I need the bottom half.

Thanks!!

Eric F. Crummie
"dabige"

Shreadvector
08-31-2009, 08:35 AM
I have a complete never-assembled Solar Launch Controller at home. The parts may still be sealed in the bags. It was in a starter set.

I was planning to list it on eBay within the next week or two (when I get a chance). Of course, if I get an appropriate offer I can skip eBay and the annoying listing and final value fees.

If needed, I can try to get photos tonight when I get home (and finish my other tasks....).

DaBigE
08-31-2009, 09:50 AM
Fred,

That package you have sounds good to me. I don't know what the S.L.C. brings these days on Ebay, but I am sure we can work something out. Let me know O.K?

I agree with you about Ebay listings...I tried it a couple of years ago, and said to myself NO MORE!!

Hey, I was looking at your profile, and discovered that we started in rocketry at about the same time!! I will never forget it!! My first rocket was an Estes Alpha that was given to me in spare parts from a friend in school. My dad rigged up a simple launch system, and the rest as they say was history!!

Later, in the 80's and 90's, my sons discovered the hobby. It was hilarious to watch them launch a rocket!!

Anyway, kinda let me know a price, and I am sure we can work it out!!

Thanks,
Your friend,
Eric F. Crummie
EAC, ESP, BAR, NAR#89651 SR

P.S. Is it really true that it never rains in Southern California?? ;)

I have a complete never-assembled Solar Launch Controller at home. The parts may still be sealed in the bags. It was in a starter set.

I was planning to list it on eBay within the next week or two (when I get a chance). Of course, if I get an appropriate offer I can skip eBay and the annoying listing and final value fees.

If needed, I can try to get photos tonight when I get home (and finish my other tasks....).

Shreadvector
08-31-2009, 10:11 AM
It's raining ash a the moment. Our Lucerne Dry Lake launch yesterday is around ahundred miles east / northeast of the biggest fire and there was enough in the air that you could smell the smoke and the clear blue sky was not-so-clear. A model would fly upward adn eject a parachute at altitude and then it would disappear into the greyish haze if it got too far away.

Winds were allmost non-existant until 10am (we started at 6 am) and when we left it was only in the mid nineties.

DaBigE
08-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Fred, I know what you mean by the smoke and ash!! About a couple of three years ago, there was a massive wild-fire in Southern Georgia. (Rare I believe) Same thing happened to us here in Middle-GA. Ash & smoke were extemely thick. It was very scary!! The whole thing lasted for weeks!! Hope that never happens again!!

EFC

It's raining ash a the moment. Our Lucerne Dry Lake launch yesterday is around ahundred miles east / northeast of the biggest fire and there was enough in the air that you could smell the smoke and the clear blue sky was not-so-clear. A model would fly upward adn eject a parachute at altitude and then it would disappear into the greyish haze if it got too far away.

Winds were allmost non-existant until 10am (we started at 6 am) and when we left it was only in the mid nineties.

DWolman
08-31-2009, 10:10 PM
I probably have the extra plastic parts that you need, if you're still looking...let me know.

I have a bin of a bunch of old launch controllers and would be willing to send what you need for the cost of shipping, assuming I have it -

Shreadvector
09-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Let's see if I can attach the photos.

mycrofte
09-02-2009, 04:03 AM
Fred

As much stuff as some of you have, that you are willing to part with, you should get together and form a Rockets for Poor Children Organization...

Or would that be socializing rocketry?!?

DaBigE
09-02-2009, 05:23 AM
Fred,

Yeah, I see what I need there. What would be your price to eliminate you having to list the S.L.C. with Ebay? I'm sure we can work something out.

Thanks

Your Friend,
Eric F. Crummie
NAR# 89651 SR

DaBigE
09-02-2009, 06:03 AM
Greetings Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I specifcally need the bottom half of the Solar Launch Controller. I have lost that part over the years due to marriage/kids/divorce/kids/moving/kids...well, you get the idea!!

Anyway, 30 years ago or so, I modified one of the S.L.C.'s as per the owners manual for the External Power Source Conversion option. Back in the 70's, I was launching ALOT of rockets!! My dad and I and my rocket posse were putting on some pretty impressive demonstations!! Some of these demos were for local business execs, scout troops, school officals, and neighborhood families and guests.

I believe my dad prospered in his work because of his involvment and wisdom in my hobby!!

Anyway, the batteries in the S.L.C. just did not last long enough for all those flights!! By the time I spent my budget on rockets and engines, I had no more money for the batteries!! So an external power source was needed. And the S.L.C. just looked **** groovy to me!! And still does!! Ahhhh the golden years of Model Rocketry!!

If you have this part, please quote me your price so that we can make arrangements.

Thanks

Your Friend,

Eric F. Crummie
NAR# 89651 SR

I probably have the extra plastic parts that you need, if you're still looking...let me know.

I have a bin of a bunch of old launch controllers and would be willing to send what you need for the cost of shipping, assuming I have it -

Bob Kaplow
09-02-2009, 06:57 AM
Since we're talking about the old Solar launcher, here's what I did with mine, back in the day.

A little work with a rotary tool and you can fit SIX batteries on the case instead of 4. I used 6 Sanyo AA solder tab NiCads, giving me a bit more voltage but much higher current delivery. I added a pigtail out the normal wire hole for an RC charger jack.

IIRC the Solar came with the heavier than today lamp cord, but if it wasn't I upgraded to 30' of that instead of the wimpy stuff they use on launchers today.

I think I also replaced the bulb with a 6v buzzer for continuity.

I got many years of service out of this. When the nicads finally needed replacing I built the relay box I've been using for almost 2 decades now.

Shreadvector
09-02-2009, 08:08 AM
OK, It is in the original box with the original launch pad (and deflector with surface rust from atmospheric moisture). The rocket kit is gone.

If someone wants the entire box of stuff, including the instructions, controller, pad, deflector and rod I will sell it direct for $25 plus $15 shipping.

If someone only wants the Solar controller and it's instructions, the price would be $15 plus $5 shipping.

DaBigE
09-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Greetings Fred,

Count me in as SOLD for the S.L.C. only. How may I pay for this? PayPal, Money Order? Let me know the method you are comfortable with and I will send the money right away!!

Thanks for your reply.

Your brother in Model Rocketry, :)

Eric F. Crummie
NAR# 89651 SR

OK, It is in the original box with the original launch pad (and deflector with surface rust from atmospheric moisture). The rocket kit is gone.

If someone wants the entire box of stuff, including the instructions, controller, pad, deflector and rod I will sell it direct for $25 plus $15 shipping.

If someone only wants the Solar controller and it's instructions, the price would be $15 plus $5 shipping.

Shreadvector
09-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Greetings Fred,

Count me in as SOLD for the S.L.C. only. How may I pay for this? PayPal, Money Order? Let me know the method you are comfortable with and I will send the money right away!!

Thanks for your reply.

Your brother in Model Rocketry, :)

Eric F. Crummie
NAR# 89651 SR

Paypal is fine. fred.e.shecter@alum.mit.edu will work for the PayPal ID.