PDA

View Full Version : Why is CMR (Competition Model Rockets) Logo Missing?

dwmzmm
12-01-2005, 07:01 PM
A question here for some of you guys: Under the "Ye Olde Rocket Forum" at the top of this
website, there's logos of six modroc companies from years past. Why isn't CMR among them? I personally have CMR built kits that I still have in my fleet (Buzzard, Orbitron, and
Manta) that I still fly at NAR Sanctioned contests (as recently as November 20, 2005) and
still have the CMR D Region Tomahawk (in the bag) scale kit awaiting assembly. I've always
thought CMR, and Howard Kuhn, had excellent quality stuff from those days, and certainly
the company and Howard deserves a place under the masthead...

Eagle3
12-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Dave, if I had a good scan of the CMR logo it would have been in the banner. The logo on the catalog I have is unusable.

jflis
12-02-2005, 09:05 AM
I'll see what I can do about getting a good scan later this weekend.

jim

Leo
12-02-2005, 11:50 AM
I just scanned my catalog.

Would this help?

http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/rockets/forums/CMR_Logo.jpg

dwmzmm
12-02-2005, 01:00 PM
I just scanned my catalog.

Would this help?

http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/rockets/forums/CMR_Logo.jpg

That's perfect!! Brings back many great memories! Thanks!

tbzep
12-02-2005, 04:40 PM
A question here for some of you guys: Under the "Ye Olde Rocket Forum" at the top of this
website, there's logos of six modroc companies from years past. Why isn't CMR among them? I personally have CMR built kits that I still have in my fleet (Buzzard, Orbitron, and
Manta) that I still fly at NAR Sanctioned contests (as recently as November 20, 2005) and
still have the CMR D Region Tomahawk (in the bag) scale kit awaiting assembly. I've always
thought CMR, and Howard Kuhn, had excellent quality stuff from those days, and certainly
the company and Howard deserves a place under the masthead...

If you ad CMR, you need to add AVI, CNA Systems, MRC, AAA Aviation Fuels, Kopter Rockets, Crown, Composite Dynamics, Enerjet...and the list goes on. We would run out of room! :p

Ltvscout
12-02-2005, 05:17 PM
If you ad CMR, you need to add AVI, CNA Systems, MRC, AAA Aviation Fuels, Kopter Rockets, Crown, Composite Dynamics, Enerjet...and the list goes on. We would run out of room! :p
Hehe, exactly!

dwmzmm
12-03-2005, 01:41 PM

That "excuse" still doesn't cut it...look at how much space is available on the right half side
of the masthead...we model rocketeers are supposed to be creative, aren't we?!

Ltvscout
12-03-2005, 01:48 PM
That "excuse" still doesn't cut it...look at how much space is available on the right half side
of the masthead...we model rocketeers are supposed to be creative, aren't we?!
The logo is only as wide as the Centuri Space Shuttle.

Eagle3
12-03-2005, 01:55 PM
I "could" make it wider.
I "could" add more logos.
if I "could" clone myself. ;)

I just don't have the time right now. I still have a handful of plans to process for YORP. Maybe I can work on it during the Christmas break. I have some of the logos tbzep mentioned, but some are pretty obscure. I'll try to post a 'need' list in the next week.

CPMcGraw
12-03-2005, 02:25 PM
I "could" make it wider.

I just don't have the time right now. I still have a handful of plans to process for YORP. Maybe I can work on it during the Christmas break. I have some of the logos tbzep mentioned, but some are pretty obscure. I'll try to post a 'need' list in the next week.

This might be a tad complicated, but with a little PHP or even just Javascript, you could have a "rotating list" of banner images that change periodically by date, or have a random header logo each time we log in. Keep each banner image simple, with only five or six smaller logos per banner, but have enough banner images in the list to cover all of the available logos. That way, all of the smaller logos get their "fair share" of showtime...

dwmzmm
12-03-2005, 03:03 PM
I "could" make it wider.

I'm just picking on you for friendly fun; as long as this forum is here, that's all that really
matters! In the meantime, I just finished adding the captions to the 35 mm pics I posted
for the Gulf Coast Regional meet. If you like to see them, go here:

http://www.nasarocketclub.com/gallery

Click the pic of the X-Wing, and my pics starts on page 6, last pic on the top right all the
way to page 13. Have fun and enjoy!

Eagle3
12-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Yea, I know you guys are kidding. There's just a lot of this stuff I'd do sooner if I had the time. Craig, I have a script that rotates images everytime you visit a page on my USS Midway site. I'd have to figure out how to use it in vBulletin though.

CPMcGraw
12-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Yea, I know you guys are kidding. There's just a lot of this stuff I'd do sooner if I had the time. Craig, I have a script that rotates images everytime you visit a page on my USS Midway site. I'd have to figure out how to use it in vBulletin though.

I have a similar script running on my "other" website, too, showing railroad stations along an old rail line...

http://trainweb.org/bayshorehs

vBulletin is run with PHP, right? Let me see if I can whip some code up to do the basic job, and I'll send a file or two...

CPMcGraw
12-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Buzz,

This is a quick description of a way to have seven banner images that rotate based on the day of the week. You need to first create the seven images, and save them to the
"images_acpb/misc" folder. Make the name of each image like this:

yorf-banner-Sunday.jpg
yorf-banner-Monday.jpg
yorf-banner-Tuesday.jpg

Next, add these lines ahead of the section where the image name is called:

$yorf-DateTime = getdate();
$yorf-ImageName = "yorf-banner-" . $yorf-DateTime["weekday"] . ".jpg";

Finally, use the $yorf-ImageName variable in place of the variable which is currently set for your banner (or the literal, if the script has been "hard-wired" with the banner name...).

CPMcGraw
12-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Buzz,

TRY THIS OUT before committing to the web! You may need to "tweak" this code to make it fully function like you want. THIS SHOULD WORK as-is, but be safe...

Doug Sams
12-03-2005, 08:41 PM
...everytime you visit a page on my USS Midway site. .I had dinner Thursday night sitting next to the Midway, and had hopes of visiting it Friday, but alas, the best laid plans oft go awry... Next trip to SoCal, I'm blocking out an entire day for it!

From the restaurant, I could see one helo on the deck that was almost as old as the Midway :) With her armored deck, she was supposed to sit lower in the water than the earlier carriers (ie, Essexes) but it still looked like a long dive from the deck :)

The Nimitz was in across the harbor along with CVN-76, but I have to look that one up. My brain only goes up to CVN-68.

Doug

CPMcGraw
12-03-2005, 10:25 PM
The Nimitz was in across the harbor along with CVN-76, but I have to look that one up. My brain only goes up to CVN-68.

Doug

That was the newest one in the fleet, I think. USS Ronald Reagan...

Royatl
12-04-2005, 12:38 PM

Nah, just really annoy some people by putting them in a scrolling Flash movie.

Rocketaholic
03-29-2006, 05:54 PM
You know, I still have the Manta and the Robin Egg lofter still in service from CMR. They are good competition kits.

Nuke Rocketeer
03-30-2006, 08:41 AM
I really liked the CMR kits and still have several myself too. Now that I lost my 30 yr old Cherokee D last year at a PSC launch, the Manta I have is the oldest rocket in my fleet. I still have not had a better egg capsule than those Mr. Kuhn made.

BTW.....is he still alive?

dwmzmm
03-30-2006, 09:20 AM
You know, I still have the Manta and the Robin Egg lofter still in service from CMR. They are good competition kits.

And I have the Buzzard, Manta (all still flying and used recently in NAR Sanctioned competition in the Houston, TX area) and a D - Region Tomahawk "still in-the-bag" awaiting
assembly. Also still have what's left of several original egg capsules (usable) and recently
used a newly built Orbitron at a Regional meet...

dwmzmm
03-30-2006, 09:22 AM
I really liked the CMR kits and still have several myself too. Now that I lost my 30 yr old Cherokee D last year at a PSC launch, the Manta I have is the oldest rocket in my fleet. I still have not had a better egg capsule than those Mr. Kuhn made.

BTW.....is he still alive?

No, I think he died some time ago. There was a discussion thread on Mr. Kuhn on the OldRockets Yahoo server about 1 1/2 years ago. Maybe someone who knows will fill us in
on the facts...

Royatl
04-25-2006, 09:47 PM
No, I think he died some time ago. There was a discussion thread on Mr. Kuhn on the OldRockets Yahoo server about 1 1/2 years ago. Maybe someone who knows will fill us in
on the facts...

Last I heard (within the last 6-12 months) he's still kicking at about 84 or 85. IIRC someone called him to find out about something concerning CMR. When he does go, you know you'll hear it from one of the NARhamsters or from Doug Pratt or someone.

///after searching my google mail...
Ah yes, Shockie talked to him in September.

dwmzmm
04-25-2006, 09:56 PM
Last I heard (within the last 6-12 months) he's still kicking at about 84 or 85. IIRC someone called him to find out about something concerning CMR. When he does go, you know you'll hear it from one of the NARhamsters or from Doug Pratt or someone.

///after searching my google mail...
Ah yes, Shockie talked to him in September.

Are you very sure about that?! I'd like a confirmation from Doug Pratt (if possible, not sure
if he's a member of this message server). I would like to also know about the status of many of the great ones of the past (Jon Randolph, Mark Wargo, Scott Lane, Jon Robbins, etc). I had heard that Don Larson was living in Florida. It would be neat if we could have
some type of "reunion" of all the famous of years past...

Royatl
04-26-2006, 01:02 AM
Are you very sure about that?! I'd like a confirmation from Doug Pratt (if possible, not sure
if he's a member of this message server). I would like to also know about the status of many of the great ones of the past (Jon Randolph, Mark Wargo, Scott Lane, Jon Robbins, etc). I had heard that Don Larson was living in Florida. It would be neat if we could have

yep -- message 13137 on ContestRoc:

"From: "shockie" <shockwaveriderz@...>
Date: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:06 pm
Subject: Re: who invented the slide-wing BG? shockwaveriderz

Well I just got off the phone after speaking to a very-hard-of-
hearing 84 yr old Howard Kuhn. As far as he can remember, he
designed the Buzzard slide-wing RG in mid to late 1971, that why it
appeared in his CMR 1972 catalog which was available in jan 1972.
"

Green Dragon
04-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Speaking of Doug Pratt... since he has the CMR nosecome machine, and has some of the cones available from time to time... would be nice to see some of the kits re-released.

everyone voice thier opinions to Doug now, lol .

~ AL

( been strangley quiet on here, but still around..and still strange )

dwmzmm
04-27-2006, 12:05 AM
Speaking of Doug Pratt... since he has the CMR nosecome machine, and has some of the cones available from time to time... would be nice to see some of the kits re-released.

everyone voice thier opinions to Doug now, lol .

~ AL

( been strangley quiet on here, but still around..and still strange )

I'll second that!!

Green Dragon
04-27-2006, 10:27 AM
I'll second that!!

To pester Doug about kits ?

Or that I'm still strange ?

~ AL

:)

Shreadvector
07-05-2006, 10:44 AM
I ran into Jon Robbins at Mile Square Park in Fountain Valley in the late 1980's or early 1990's. I can't remember exactly when. He came over to me with his kids all excited because he saw me launch and fly perfectly a Groundhog 16. From a distance it looked like something similar to what he had been telling his kids about, but when he got up close he realized it was exactly what he was talking about (except I used burned string instead of piston/wire wing release).

He was working out of his house doing engineering design work.

I see no sign of him on the web.

dwmzmm
07-05-2006, 02:22 PM
I ran into Jon Robbins at Mile Square Park in Fountain Valley in the late 1980's or early 1990's. I can't remember exactly when. He came over to me with his kids all excited because he saw me launch and fly perfectly a Groundhog 16. From a distance it looked like something similar to what he had been telling his kids about, but when he got up close he realized it was exactly what he was talking about (except I used burned string instead of piston/wire wing release).

He was working out of his house doing engineering design work.

I see no sign of him on the web.

I've always been fascinated by Robbins' Groundhog designs since I saw it in the Model Rocketry magazines in the early 1970's. Ever since then, I've been wanting to build a
contest version to use at the several "regularily scheduled" NAR Regional meets held
in the Houston area yearly. John Pursley gave me a large box of balsa fin stock he didn't want anymore (weighs about 30 pounds!), and from it, I should have no problem building
on a number of projects over the next few (?) years, including an 18 mm Groundhog. But,
as long as my current boost & rocketgliders are still in good shape and performing well
(and, I might add, winning), I'll be sticking with them (including an upscaled CMR Buzzard
and original vintage Manta). As many of you know, the BG & RG events are where the
"big" points are.

Sure wish Jon Robbins could join us on this and other forums...

Jon Robbins Jr
01-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Welp... RIPLEYS BELIEVE IT OR NOT!!!

This is his oldest son and my father is alive and well... He is in Marina Del Rey and if you would like more info I could fill you in. Things have changed in those days and yes I remember the groundhogs flying for what seemed to be like forever. Dad used to spend weeks getting one rebalanced just right so it would fly for a long time. He has 3 sons total and we are all doing well now and like I said if you want more info just e-mail me at Malimn32@yahoo.com.

I am near Savannah GA

Royatl
01-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Welp... RIPLEYS BELIEVE IT OR NOT!!!

This is his oldest son and my father is alive and well... He is in Marina Del Rey and if you would like more info I could fill you in.

I am near Savannah GA

How fitting on the week before Groundhog day!

Are you old enough to have been at NARAM-13 in Aberdeen, MD (at least as a rug-rat)? I *think* I've got movies and slides of you. Then again i could be confusing your dad with Jon Randolph, who also attended that NARAM. I recall one of them with a wife with shortish hair who wore a bandana and had a couple of kids hanging on her (would've been 3 to 6 years old in 1971?)

Jon Robbins Jr
01-24-2007, 03:57 PM
In 1971 I would have been 6 years old... I do remember carrying trophies from the old man when he won and I also remember having to chase down those darn things :)

As far remembering where we were at... NO Clue there and sorry about that... :)

Dad did say something about Aberdeen when I called and he is amazed that people remember him... he did state that if anyone would like to talk to him or would like his e-mail he had no problem with me giving that out to those who were interested.

Sorta cool to find out that Pops is somewhat of a "Legend" as someone posted :)

Thanks,

Jon Jr.

Jon Robbins Jr
01-24-2007, 03:58 PM
OH!! Sean would have been 4 :)

Royatl
01-24-2007, 04:41 PM
In 1971 I would have been 6 years old... I do remember carrying trophies from the old man when he won and I also remember having to chase down those darn things :)

As far remembering where we were at... NO Clue there and sorry about that... :)

Dad did say something about Aberdeen when I called and he is amazed that people remember him... he did state that if anyone would like to talk to him or would like his e-mail he had no problem with me giving that out to those who were interested.

Sorta cool to find out that Pops is somewhat of a "Legend" as someone posted :)

Thanks,

Jon Jr.

Well, heck, he was on the cover of a major rocketry magazine. Sure we'd remember him!

http://www.soar571.com/images/ModelRocketryJonRobbins.jpg

Ltvscout
01-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Well, heck, he was on the cover of a major rocketry magazine. Sure we'd remember him!
Heh, I have that issue laying around here somewhere. Dig that peace sign! ;)

Welcome to the forum, Jon!

Royatl
01-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Heh, I have that issue laying around here somewhere. Dig that peace sign! ;)

Welcome to the forum, Jon!

Man, it'd be nice if you could scan that one (and any after that cover date) for Sven, as the Sept 71 issues through the end of the magazine were BADLY scanned. The PDF file for them hovers around 50meg per issue, and much of the text is out of focus!

Jon Robbins Jr
01-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Ok.. dont flood the old codger right now with e-mails but here is his e-mail address if you would like his cell I will give that out via pm or email

email: sv_west_star@verizon.net

He is Semi retired and works on his sailboat and also still does some drafting on the side

Royatl
01-24-2007, 05:36 PM
I've left messages in the OldRockets and ContestRoc yahoogroups, and told them to check in here, so I'm sure the ones that want to get in touch will trickle in eventually.

dwmzmm
01-24-2007, 06:01 PM
I've left messages in the OldRockets and ContestRoc yahoogroups, and told them to check in here, so I'm sure the ones that want to get in touch will trickle in eventually.

I know I will; glad I brought the name up in my previous post. I still want to take a look at
building a few Ground Hogs and giving them a try here in the Houston area, where we usually
have three NAR Sanctioned Regional meets yearly.

Also, Jon Robbins would make for an interesting article for the LAUNCH & Sport Rocketry
magazines...

Jon Robbins Jr., welcome to the Ye Old Rocketry Forum. I know we're sure glad to hear from
you and know your dad is still very much in our thoughts.

Jon Robbins Jr
01-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Well Dad and I had a good talk last night about all of this stuff and even got a few of my questions answered.. :)

He believes he has a copy of that magazine somewhere but living on a boat now sorta has its limitations on storage space.. :)

Asked him why it as #16 on the one on the cover and he stated that this was just a way he used it to differentiate the different models he had back then. He said he made one that had a 7-8 foot wingspan back then and I cannot remember if it flew or how it did. I do remember him making one that was red in color and the wings were built somewhat like todays airplane wings are with all the sub structure in it and that was the one that was covered up with some red plastic paper. Well I believe it was..

As to what happened and were we went.. Welp.. We left from the Ohio area I think just after the NARAM-13 in Aberdeen, MD event and we went from there to Chicago, then to South Dakota and finally we ended up in Southern California where I still call home.

Talked to dad about the LA Rocket group and he said he would love to stop by and see how things have changed so who is ever in charge of that group get a hold of him :) As far as the article... he stated something about a reprint of the old one and was somewhat warming up to the idea of doing a new story so you may have to work on him to have him do a new story :)

OH!! Does anyone remember the VW Van we had back then?? :) You should if you remember the hood of the vehicle :)

As for me and my two brothers??? Well I am in the computer field, Sean works as a tool and die operator, and Mike drives semi's for a living. When we left the Aberdeen MD event I am pretty sure that my parents split up and went their own separate ways. Also I think when we got to California dad stopped building model rockets and stuff.

Welp... Thats the skinny as to what happened and thanks for being so cool to one of his rug rats.. :)

OH!!! IF ANYONE has a pic from the old days of my father and us rugrats... please scan it and either post it or e-mail it to me at malimn32@yahoo.com so I can send em to my dad and brothers :)

Royatl
01-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Well Dad and I had a good talk last night about all of this stuff and even got a few of my questions answered.. :)

He believes he has a copy of that magazine somewhere but living on a boat now sorta has its limitations on storage space.. :) OH!!! IF ANYONE has a pic from the old days of my father and us rugrats... please scan it and either post it or e-mail it to me at malimn32@yahoo.com so I can send em to my dad and brothers :)

Jon, the location of the magazine online is: (careful, it's about 50 megabytes!)

http://shrinkster.com/lhw

or

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/ModelRocketry/Model_Rocketry_v03n11_09-71.pdf

(edit: Ah! hadn't realized that the forum software was shortening links!)

It actually seems to be a Jon Robbins-themed issue, as there's a Letter-To-The-Editor about him, and coverage of a couple of events that he was at.

Of course, your dad might want to peruse the whole Ninfinger rocketry site

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/rockets.html

as far as pictures go, I know I have a slide or two of you guys somewhere (I knew it would probably be my only trip to a national event for a long time, so I tried to take pictures or video of all the rocket celebrities of the time). The slides, unfortunately are somewhere at my mom's house, and I will probably have to deal with some mildewing before I scan them. The film, though, I transferred to tape and then DVD a few years back, so I should be able to find that quickly. There's probably only a few seconds worth, but maybe enough to jog memories.

Jon Robbins Jr
01-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Cool... Thanks and do not go through any major headache trying to find stuff on us, I was just hoping that someone had something they could easily get to of us back then.. :)

Also yes I did find the magazine thanks to another post on here on the website and I have printed it out... Impressive that my skinny ole man, well skinny at that time, was on the cover, had a lot of info about him and the events, as well as mentioned that my brother and I had to help carry the trophies back home with him :)

I looked at the cover and minus the glasses, long side burns, dark black hair, and the hippy teeshirt, I look a lot like my dad back then... UGGG I AM UGLY!!! hehehehehe..

dwmzmm
01-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Got an e-mail from Jon Robbins himself. Wow, this is really very exciting!! Will fill you guys
in later when I get home this evening (work).

tbzep
01-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Hopefully we have another BAR in the making! :)

dwmzmm
01-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Hopefully we have another BAR in the making! :)

Could be possible. As mentioned in my previous post, I got an e-mail from Jon himself.
I've replied and told him I hope he'll join us in this forum. It'll be great to refresh our
trip down memory lane of the good old days of model rocketry and the NAR! Well, we'll
see what happens, but I have the feeling the rocketry fire may have lit up in Jon over
the past few days...

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Could be possible. As mentioned in my previous post, I got an e-mail from Jon himself.
I've replied and told him I hope he'll join us in this forum. It'll be great to refresh our
trip down memory lane of the good old days of model rocketry and the NAR! Well, we'll
see what happens, but I have the feeling the rocketry fire may have lit up in Jon over
the past few days...

Maybe he just had chili for lunch. :eek:

tbzep
01-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Maybe he just had chili for lunch. :eek:

Que up the old Kiss song, "Firehouse". :D

Jon Robbins Jr
01-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Ok.. you all are using odd terminology to me.. RG I am guessing is Rocket Glider.. what are the rest????

Thanks,

Jon Jr

Royatl
01-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Ok.. you all are using odd terminology to me.. RG I am guessing is Rocket Glider.. what are the rest????

Thanks,

Jon Jr

Hmmm. not sure what you mean, at least from this thread. The only acronym here is BAR, which stands for Born-Again Rocketeer! <hint: has nothing to do with religion. well, maybe the religion of rockets!>

Ltvscout
01-29-2007, 07:40 AM
Here's a message that Jon Sr. sent that came to my email since he's not a registered user here yet. Jon Jr., tell your dad he needs to register for an account on here in order to post in the forums. There's a link to register in the top menu bar.

To All,
Just to let you know I'm still alive and kicking. It's very nice to have you remember what has been "The Good Old Days". If I can be of any help please e-mail me .
I love the smell of rocket fuel in the morning.
Rgds
Jon Robbins
old NAR 16092

Jon Robbins Jr
02-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Ok.. pops is registered.. he is JON robbins, not good with computers eh pops.. :D

I walked him through getting setup and active here and hope all goes well :}

Ltvscout
02-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Ok.. pops is registered.. he is JON robbins, not good with computers eh pops.. :D

I walked him through getting setup and active here and hope all goes well :}
He wants us to notice his first name. ;)

Yes, I just checked and he's now registered properly ready to login.

I noticed that he used the Atlantic Time zone though. Does he live in the Caribbean?

Jon Robbins Jr
02-14-2007, 05:59 PM
He wants us to notice his first name. ;)

Yes, I just checked and he's now registered properly ready to login.

I noticed that he used the Atlantic Time zone though. Does he live in the Caribbean?

Thats been fixed.. :]

told you he is not good with computers :D

Then again I cannot build a rocket.. so were even there pops :}

JON robbins
02-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Hi All,
I am still alive and well and living in the LA area. If anyone would like to e-mail me at sv_west_star@verizon.net please feel free to do so. Thanks to my oldest (Jon JR) he advised me to let you know I'm still around.
Regards
Jon Robbins
Old NAR 16092

Ltvscout
02-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Thats been fixed.. :]

told you he is not good with computers :D

Then again I cannot build a rocket.. so were even there pops :}
The next test, posting and/or replying to a message. :D

Jon Robbins Jr
02-14-2007, 06:10 PM
dats been done :}

Have fun ole man :cool:

Jon Jr.

dwmzmm
02-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks to both Jon Jr., and Jon! Great to have both of you guys on board!

Shreadvector
09-04-2007, 10:53 AM
I replaced the elastic on the Groundhog 16 built by our club President Martin Bowitz at one of our classes about 10 years ago and I loaded a B4-2 motor and launched it last Saturday.

Insanely perfect flight with only a slight stall (I prefer a slight stall to a sprial dive....). It circled for quite a while, but I did not time it. Landed within 50 feet of the pad.

dwmzmm
09-04-2007, 12:53 PM
I replaced the elastic on the Groundhog 16 built by our club President Martin Bowitz at one of our classes about 10 years ago and I loaded a B4-2 motor and launched it last Saturday.

Insanely perfect flight with only a slight stall (I prefer a slight stall to a sprial dive....). It circled for quite a while, but I did not time it. Landed within 50 feet of the pad.

I've been wanting to build several Groundhogs myself, but want to use a burn through the
string method of releasing the wings from their swept back position. I'm having a tough time trying to figure out how to rig the string(s) to make this work.

Perhaps someone here (or maybe Jon Robbins himself) can hop on board this message
thread and spill the "secrets" on how this can be done. I'd like to start on building a small
fleet of Groundhogs for use in NAR competition this year. Here in the Houston area, we
already have four Regional meets in the works for this contest year..... ;)

Initiator001
09-04-2007, 01:04 PM

Fred,

Here's a picture of the Groundhog I took at the launch.

Bob

Shreadvector
09-04-2007, 01:11 PM
I've been wanting to build several Groundhogs myself, but want to use a burn through the
string method of releasing the wings from their swept back position. I'm having a tough time trying to figure out how to rig the string(s) to make this work.

Perhaps someone here (or maybe Jon Robbins himself) can hop on board this message
thread and spill the "secrets" on how this can be done. I'd like to start on building a small
fleet of Groundhogs for use in NAR competition this year. Here in the Houston area, we
already have four Regional meets in the works for this contest year..... ;)

I have my 1984 hand scribbled instructions in front of me. If I can scan them I will post them. Basically, insert & epoxy a staple or small metal loop into each wingtip bottom, and to the fuselage below the motor pod. Tie the cotton thread to one wingtip, thread it through the other and then run it forward through the fuselage loop/staple. When ready to fly, install a motor and stretch the elastic into place. Then run it up through the vent hole in front otf the motor and tie or tape it in place. Test several times on the ground to ensure safe and relaible operation. Testing is done with a sharp X-Acto knife or a "punk" or incense stick.

Shreadvector
09-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Bingo.

dwmzmm
09-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Bingo.

Thanks, Shreadvector! Got it bookmarked! I really didn't want to build one with the piston/
wire format as I was afraid that, after a number of flights, the buildup of the residue from
the ejection charge would affect the piston's operation. This is true as I usually keep flying
the same boost & rocket gliders I have in my fleet over and over again so long as they
continue to perform (such as my CMR Manta, Buzzard, upscale Buzzard, Orbitron, etc). Some of those vintage models just named, built in the 1970's, are still being flown (by me)
today in NAR Sanctioned competition (and I still win with them!!)....