PDA

View Full Version : Future classics?

Rustee
09-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Just a couple I picked up recently and the Phantom from Ebay. So,I went out of town to scrounge some more goodies and they had a Phantom-with broken fins! I think I've got(or had) everything worth buying in a 50-mile radius. Still a couple of stores to recheck though...

gerryfortin
09-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Well it is a first step towards a collection.... Local hobby shops are probably not a good source for pre 1990s kits anymore unless you are really lucky.

Rustee
09-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Well, I have in fact found several nice ones at local hobby shops;Centuri 1b,Omega-P,Phoenix,5 Mercury Redstones,3 Maxi Alpha 3's,Canadian Arrow,Master Series Space Shuttle,Sweet V,2 Silver Comets,Estes Saturn V display model,2 Fat Boys,Space Shuttle starter set....all within the last couple of years,and those are just the better ones. Ya,not a bad start,thanks. No,not particularily "Ye Olde" though,you're right.

Rustee
09-09-2009, 06:19 PM
I dug a little deeper into the collecting part today,thought I'd just quit buying more rockets! The coolest would have to be the Broadsword. I think the SR-71 in the bag that I have is Chinese,is it not? So that will be the one I build,if there's no real difference. Ever hand over the plastic while you're thinking "the wife's gonna kill me"?

LeeR
09-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Ever hand over the plastic while you're thinking "the wife's gonna kill me"?
One word: CASH

Rustee
09-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Ah,yes,much easier to conceal-Gee,used lots of gas today...I'm not really getting any screaming deals on these though as they were at least double the US price in Canadian dollars. My Silver Comets(3 now) were $30-$35,the Sweet V was $149. On the other hand,Broadsword $19.95,Omega K52-P $14.95! Hmm,could be some liquidating soon.

Rustee
09-23-2009, 11:46 PM
More,more and more,just when I thought the well ran dry-never heard of a Rascal but I like it! I'm going to build one of these and probably one of the Broadswords.

evo666
09-24-2009, 02:50 AM
So you're the one that bought that Phantom on Ebay.
I was going to bid on that and launch that sucker.
My friend and I since middle school have been wondering what would happen. :chuckle:

STRMan
09-24-2009, 05:28 AM
Ever hand over the plastic while you're thinking "the wife's gonna kill me"?

Every time I hand over the plastic I'm thinking "the wife's gonna kill me"! :chuckle:

mycrofte
09-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Yep, you need a book or something to hide rocket cash in. Someplace she will never look!

On the other hand, since I got Mary into rockets, she keeps telling me to buy more...

CPMcGraw
09-24-2009, 11:18 AM
More,more and more,just when I thought the well ran dry-never heard of a Rascal but I like it! I'm going to build one of these and probably one of the Broadswords.

The Rascal flies pretty well. I think it uses the same body tube as the Baby Bertha, which is what I used when I cloned one. It makes a great "wind test" rocket (unlike the Mosquito...).

conleyt
09-24-2009, 11:40 AM
The Rascal flies pretty well. I think it uses the same body tube as the Baby Bertha, which is what I used when I cloned one. It makes a great "wind test" rocket (unlike the Mosquito...).

Somebody once asked how you would "goony" a Bertha. I look at the Rascal and think it looks like the goony version of the Bertha. That's why I painted my Rascal black, added some stickers "borrowed" from a Big Bertha kit, and added the word "Goony" from some Excelsior decals. Now it truly is a Goony Bertha! :D

Tom C.

Rustee
09-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Hey,a Broadsword is the same as a Super Big Bertha,is it not? I had an idea to build all the Berthas,I'd just need the decals. Whatever it's called,at 36.5"x2.6",it's one big mother of a rocket! Should make for a nice,slow lift-off. Do you have a pic of your Goony Bertha?

tbzep
09-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Hey,a Broadsword is the same as a Super Big Bertha,is it not?

Yes, except the Broadsword had an "E" length motor mount.

mojo1986
09-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Yep, you need a book or something to hide rocket cash in. Someplace she will never look!

On the other hand, since I got Mary into rockets, she keeps telling me to buy more...

WOW!! Where do you find a woman like THAT!! :)