PDA

View Full Version : Clear Top Coat

Tweener
03-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Anyone have a good recommendation for a clear topcoat over spray enamel / decals that won't yellow with age?

Ltvscout
03-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Anyone have a good recommendation for a clear topcoat over spray enamel / decals that won't yellow with age?
I've heard a lot of people use Future floor polish on their rockets. I believe either Stefan or Sean (or maybe both) do this.

gpoehlein
03-24-2005, 10:39 PM
I have succesfully used Future on both plastic models and on rockets, and if you do it right, it will not yellow. Some people have complained of yellowing in some messages I've read, but usually it traces back to the "white" paint they used for their main coat. A lot of white spray paint looks a bit yellow and dingy. If you can use an airbrush instead of a spray can, try mixing a drop of light blue paint in with the white. It will actually make the white look "whiter"

Greg

dtomko
03-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Ditto what Greg said. I've read a bunch of comments about it being the white paint that yellows, but for me Testor's Dullcoat and Glosscoat get a tinge over all colors over time. I have been using Future for about a year now. No yellowing at all. You can see this on rockets next to ones with Glosscoat. There's a pretty big difference. Best airbrushed on, but you can also wipe in on with a cloth or even a paper towel. If you use acrylic paint, though, make sure it's good and dry before using Future. It can make an excellent paint stripper, too. Trust me!
Drew Tomko

Thrustline 1
03-28-2005, 11:22 PM
I have used Krylon 1306 with good results.

Tweener
03-30-2005, 04:36 PM
I've read a bunch of comments about it being the white paint that yellows, but for me Testor's Dullcoat and Glosscoat get a tinge over all colors over time.
Yes, this is why I posted the question. I have an old Estes Space Shuttle (long ago retired) that is probably the only surviving rocket that I have from my first incarnation as a BAR (I guess you could say I'm a BAAR). :D The orbiter was coated with Testor's Glosscoat and has gotten very yellow. I can tell it's the coating because it's over bare plastic, and in a few places where it has flaked off the plastic is still very white. I'm considering gloss spray acrylic sealer. Does anyone have any long term (1or 2 years) experience with that?

Eagle3
03-31-2005, 09:23 AM
I've used Future wax on two models so far and like the results. I used a foam brush to apply, but will probably use the air brush next time.