PDA

View Full Version : iHobby 2009

Initiator001
10-20-2009, 01:39 PM
This coming Thursday is the beginning of the 2009 iHobby Show.

It will be interesting to hear about any new products the rocketry manufacturers will be displaying/discussing.

Will there be any YORF members attending who can report on new rocketry products?

Bob

shrox
10-20-2009, 02:56 PM
We only make "ball in a cup" now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup-and-ball

AKPilot
10-21-2009, 07:00 AM
Our family will be there at opening on public opening on Saturday morning. Will be photos and descriptions on TRF, with crosslink.

Ltvscout
10-21-2009, 07:17 AM
Our family will be there at opening on public opening on Saturday morning. Will be photos and descriptions on TRF, with crosslink.
Thanks, Troy.

rokitflite
10-21-2009, 08:48 AM
This coming Thursday is the beginning of the 2009 iHobby Show.

It will be interesting to hear about any new products the rocketry manufacturers will be displaying/discussing.

Will there be any YORF members attending who can report on new rocketry products?

Bob

I'll be there tomorrow morning Bob... I'll try!

Initiator001
10-21-2009, 01:53 PM
I'll be there tomorrow morning Bob... I'll try!

Thanks, Scott.

Have a safe trip.

Bob

rokitflite
10-23-2009, 11:25 AM
OK, so kill me... I did not get any pictures. Only 4 rocket vendors there that I saw, Quest, Estes, Aerotech and Sunward. The only truly rocket related thing I saw new were Aerotech's E20 motors. They looked great and the Hobby Works stores will have them soon.
Estes had a small booth against a far wall in the convention center. It probably LOOKED smaller than it was because the guy manning the booth looked like he could bench press a mid sized Honda. A very nice guy named either Rick or Nick. Estes had some nice looking models, they were all of the reissues we have been waiting for and all had various projected release dates on them. The Quest booth looked very good (see their blog) with alot of displays all around the booth... It did however stir up bad memories of when I had to set the booth up on a few occasions:eek:. Sunward had a nice full booth with many of their kits on display. I am sure other folks here who go on the public days will weigh-in heavier than I have...

shrox
10-23-2009, 11:32 AM
...The Quest booth looked very good (see their blog) with alot of displays all around the booth...

I guess we do sell more than ball in a cup.

Ltvscout
10-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Estes had some nice looking models, they were all of the reissues we have been waiting for and all had various projected release dates on them.
So, what were the dates?

rokitflite
10-23-2009, 08:34 PM
So, what were the dates?

Sigh... I did not bother to remember because I am in a "I'll believe it when I see it" mode with Estes...

If you give me your email addy. I will send you a scan of the Quest new release form that you can post. (I would post it but my computer is jacked up).

Initiator001
10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Here's a flyer that Quest had at the iHobby Show.

Bob

AKPilot
10-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Sorry folks, just got in and am still running . . .

Brief iHobby Report (http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?p=55964#post55964)

snaquin
10-25-2009, 06:29 PM

Bob

I wonder if High-Q is now being considered to be released as a single stage model? Wasn't the High-Q prototype displayed as a two-stage model at one of the former NARAM's?

I'll purchase it either way when it's released. I like the design.

JRThro
10-25-2009, 07:32 PM
I wonder if High-Q is now being considered to be released as a single stage model? Wasn't the High-Q prototype displayed as a two-stage model at one of the former NARAM's?

I'll purchase it either way when it's released. I like the design.

Yes, the display model at NARAM-50 was a two-stager.

falingtrea
10-26-2009, 11:23 AM

Notice the line at the bottom of the flyer Bob posted. "All Designed to be flown on popular Aerotech Rocket Engines" so I would bet that since you can't easily stage composite motors without electronics, the High-Q was re-designed as a single stage. Maybe when Quest releases their bigger BP motors, they will release a booster stage for the High-Q as well.

shrox
10-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Notice the line at the bottom of the flyer Bob posted. "All Designed to be flown on popular Aerotech Rocket Engines" so I would bet that since you can't easily stage composite motors without electronics, the High-Q was re-designed as a single stage. Maybe when Quest releases their bigger BP motors, they will release a booster stage for the High-Q as well.

Maybe...

rokitflite
10-26-2009, 01:40 PM

That was a possibility I discussed with Bill at the show, his response was positive to that idea. :D

foose4string
10-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Well, that's good to know he's still receptive to the 2 stage idea. I was a little worried the BP motor idea might have been scrapped when I saw the mention of AT motors on the handout. I hope the BP motors will become available at some point, and more importantly, at a price which is competitive with the other. At any rate, those are some pretty cool looking rockets! ;) :D There were a couple other designs presented at NARAM 50 which I don't see there. I hope those see the light too, 'cause I thought those were some of the coolest of the bunch besides the two stager!

Sunward
10-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Just finished unpacking from iHobby but still backed up.

Show was good, but rocketeers were few in number. They didn;t show this year. :confused:

jetlag
10-27-2009, 11:58 AM

Bob

Nice, but kinda boring, no offense!

rokitflite
10-27-2009, 12:53 PM

True... But Quest had several other flyers and other handouts... Estes had not a single thing.

shrox
10-27-2009, 01:23 PM

I must have worked on that flyer for 30 minutes! Geez! Lat alone the 5 or so minutes thinking about! And I even spellchecked it...