PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 Estes Exotic Kits

gerryfortin
11-12-2009, 03:43 AM
Simple question. If you had to pick the finest Estes exotic design kits for a Top 20 list, which would they be? Hope that you can share the reasoning behind the selection.

I can start with the USS Andromeda (#1273), S.S.Cassiopeia (#1369), Alien Explorer (#1372) and the Excalibur (#1339). There are other favorites also but hope to hear alternative opinions.

After awhile, building 3FN and 4FN rocket kits loses its attraction as I become bored easily unless attempting challenging projects. Building the LOC Legacy (my first true mid power kit) was interesting from the epoxy perspective and learning fillet technique. But it is a 3FN.

Working on the S.S. Cassiopeia, for example, takes careful planning and detailed construction techniques, let alone finishing the model with the artcard colors and proper decal application. I may be more of a "modeler" than a "rocketeer".

tbzep
11-12-2009, 09:00 AM
I'd have to look through the catalogs to do justice to the list, but the Mars Lander, Interceptor, and Orbital Transport would be near the top. :)

rstaff3
11-12-2009, 10:00 AM
I like the Strike Fighter :cool:

DaveR
11-12-2009, 10:15 AM
I'd have to look through the catalogs to do justice to the list, but the Mars Lander, Interceptor, and Orbital Transport would be near the top. :)
In an attempt to help with a one stop listing of the Estes "Exotics" here's a list of those kits deemed "exotic" by Scott in his kit listing:

1338 Space Transporter America
1369 S.S. Cassiopeia
15 Sprite
20 Mars Snooper
1224 24 Gyroc
32 Starlight
1233 33 Trident
1242 42 Orbital Transport
1243 43 Mars Lander
1250 50 Interceptor
0653 KC-4 Starship Vega
0806 Pegasus
0816 Wolverine
0821 Firecat
0861 SARK
0873 Hawkeye
0881 Mini Mars Lander
0895 Solar Warrior
1220 Mars Snooper II
1259 Orbital Transport
1281 Alien Invader
1282 Photon Disruptor
1283 USS Atlantis
1288 Starlab
1289 Odyssey
1296 Satellite Interceptor
1297 Solar Sailer
1320 Starship Vega (rev)
1339 Space Cruiser Excalibur
1341 World Federation Star Probe
1342 Starblazer X-20
1350 Black Hole Space Probe
1358 F-61 Starfighter
1359 Orbital Interceptor
1361 Skytracer
1364 Falcon Commander
1366 Star Speeder
1367 Vindicator
1371 Starship Nova
1372 Alien Explorer
1374 Attack Craft Orion
1375 Scorpius
1376 NASA Pegasus
1383 Hyperion
1386 Asteroid Explorer
1902 Space Station Aquarius
1903 Xarconian Destroyer
1909 USSF Fireflash
1914 Galactic Taxi
1920 Starship Excalibur
1927 Aries SST
1928 Manta Bomber
1929 Stealth
1931 Delta Wedge
1939 Nebulon Warrior
1941 Fox Fire
1954 Starbird
1971 Nimbus
1973 Interceptor II
1974 Explorer
1988 Argosy
1999 Corsair
2000 Voyager II
2003 SDI Satellite
2010 Star Rider
2015 Strike Fighter
2016 Explorer Aquarius
2033 Trident II
2034 Deep Space Transport
2036 Super Vega
2037 National Aerospace Plane
2038 Alien Space Probe
2039 Space Racer
2043 Photon Probe
2044 Solar Sailer II
2046 Surveyor
2051 Solar Probe
2052 Photon Disruptor II
2053 Black Hawk
2063 Mars Snooper
2068 Grey Hawk
2113 Starbase Starcruiser
2133 Astrosat LSX
7010 National Aerospace Plane
I removed all "Sci-Fi" and "Odd Ball" (Star Wars, Buck Rogers, Goonis, etc.) kits from the list but I guess they could be called "Exotic" as well. I have my own "kit listing" that improves on Scott's listing somewhat. I been working on it on and off for 8 or 9 years. It's about 80 to 85% complete, it has body tubes, nose cones, recommended motors, etc. listed for each kit. It's a rather large file but if anyone is interested, PM me with your email addy and I'll be glad to send you a copy.
Gerryfortin, my apologies if I highjacked your thread. :o

DaveR
11-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Some of my favorites:

Explorer Aquarius
Manta Bomber
Interceptor
Scorpius
Corsair
Satellite Interceptor

(Not necessarily in that order)

Vanel
11-12-2009, 10:25 AM
My top Estes Exotica (like that word, btw) would be:

1) Mars Snooper - To my 8 year old self, this was THE rocket; especially the way it was portrayed on the cover of the 1966 catalog.

2) Orbital Transport - It made boost gliders look sexy. A pain in my younger years to build, but a heck of a lot of fun to fly!

3) Interceptor - A must have; it reminded me of my favorite jet, the F-104 Starfighter.

If we extend into the Centuri "exotica":

4) The Orion - always wanted one; it exemplified Centuri in the same way as the Mars Snooper did Estes.

5) The Quasar - It looked like it came right out of one of the late 1950 science fiction movies I watched on TV. I loved the "ram jet engines" on the fin tips!

jetlag
11-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Let's not forget the Trident. I still fire mine, and it's about 38 or so years old. I second the Mars Lander, Interceptor, and the Orbital Transport (an all-time fav.).

I'd like to add the Starship Vega and the Mars Snooper (and the Snooper II, if ya like). Beautiful, and nothing really like them in the 'other' rocket company's offerings.

The Scissor-Wing was a hoot, also.

The Solar Sailor and the Deep Space Transport are neat because of their design, too.

Oh, there are several more, but, like Gerry said, I look forward to what you other folks like! :D

Allen

ghrocketman
11-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Here is my 20:
1) Mars Lander (and should be in EVERYONES top five)
2) Orbital Transport (Very close to first place and also should be in EVERYONES top five)
3) Astron Interceptor
4) Manta Bomber
5) Astron Skydart
6) Astron Trident
7) Mars Snooper II (NOT original Mars Snooper)
8) Starship Nova
9) Star Speeder
10) Skytracer
11) Scorpius
12) F61 Starfighter
13) Rigel 3
14) Scissor-Wing Transport
15) SS Cassiopeia
16) Astron Starlight
17) Attack Craft Orion
18) Battlestar Galactica Viper (would be MUCH higher if fuselage/engine intakes were correct to "fantasy-scale" rectangular shape)
19) Space Transporter America
20) Andromeda

cas2047
11-12-2009, 12:04 PM
In an attempt to help with a one stop listing of the Estes "Exotics" here's a list of those kits deemed "exotic" by Scott in his kit listing:

Very nice extended list Dave! I'm not sure I could pick just 20 from it.

jeffyjeep
11-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Ram Jet, Andromeda, Strikefighter, Nigtghtwing, and Mars Lander

ghrocketman
11-12-2009, 01:35 PM
jeffy,
Ram Jet ?
Am I mistaken on this one ?
I thought that was the ugly thing that was just a tube and fins with an ugly reduced-diameter ramjet cone.
Was there some sort of fantasy/sci-fi RamJet I missed ?

DeanHFox
11-12-2009, 02:16 PM
I'd agree with everyone's selections thus far --- the OT, Mars Lander, Mars Snooper, etc. are all "iconic" exotics, but I'd add the following:

Starship Excalibur (Estes Plan #55)
Stratos (Estes Plan #77)
Saturnian (Estes Plan #39)
Nimbus (Estes Plan #81)
Ganymede 274 (Estes Plan #59)
Black Knight (Estes Plan #71)
Argus II (Estes Plan #84)
Intruder (Estes Plan #82b)
Orbital Transport Laboratory (Estes Plan #73)
Space Shuttle JPZ-3 (Estes Plan #76)
Top Secret (Estes Plan #78)
Commuter (Estes Plan #31)

...Amongst others found in the pages of MRN.

Building these was just as much fun as the Estes-supplied kits. I'm rebuilding all of them again, these days, and will be upscaling a few, because they're just such cool designs. :)

motley16
11-12-2009, 05:41 PM
my list and it could change as far as order: 1.andromeda 2.gyroc 3.mars lander 4.orbital transport 5.trident 6.uss atlantis 7.solar sailer 8.ss cassiopeia 9.star lab 10.super vega 11.mars sooper

scigs30
11-12-2009, 08:00 PM
I like all vintage Estes.................. :)
Manta Bomber
X-Wing
Mars Lander
Orbital Transporter
Interceptor
Space Shuttle
Scissor Wing
Strike Fighter
Oh heck the list is to long........Long live Estes

Les
11-12-2009, 09:14 PM
My top ones would be:
Mars Lander
Trident
Explorer Aquarius
Mars Snooper
Interceptor

Other good ones are:
Strike Fighter
Scorpius
Corsair
Venus Probe
Manta Bomber
Starship Vega
Stealth
Star Rider
Geo Sat LV
Satellite Drone
SDI Satellite
Andromedia
Alien Explorer
Solar Sailor
Star Speeder
Starship Excalibur

Mark II
11-12-2009, 09:14 PM
I'd add the #1383 Hyperion to that list, as well as the good old K-33 Trident, the K-32 Starlight and the 1371 Star Ship Nova.

MarkII

gerryfortin
11-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks to everyone who quickly offered their favorite exotic or exotica kits. I was pleased with the amount of responses in such a short time. From a quick and dirty tabulation of inputs, here is a Top 20 list that most forum members can support. The number relates to frequency in postings. To be honest, I added a vote for the USS Atlantis to round out the Top 20.

Interestingly, no one mentioned the World Federation Star Probe and the combination Orion Starfighter / Torellian Invader kit. Why is that? Is their lack of attention due to kit rarity or some other reason?

Mars Lander 7
Interceptor 6
Mars Snooper II 6
Orbital Transport 5
Trident 5
Andromeda 5
Strike Fighter 4
Manta Bomber 4
Scorpius 3
SS Cassiopeia 3
Scissor Wing 3
Solar Sailer 3
Explorer Aquarius 2
Corsair 2
Starship Vega 2
Starship Nova 2
Star Speeder 2
Starlight 2
Alien Explorer 2
USS Atlantis 2

Comments on the list? Wouldn't be nice to build a set of the Top 20 Estes Exotic kits as defined by YORF....

arlblaster
11-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Wow, my favorites!!

USS Andromeda
Xarconian Destroyer
Black Hole Space Probe (If not listed as exotic,it should be!! )
USS Atlantis
Solar Sailor
Starship Nova
Manta Bomber
Star Speeder
Alien Explorer
SS Cassiopiea

sandman
11-12-2009, 10:02 PM
These are my favorite.

I can't think of what order to put them in.

OK, the Der Red Max, Constelation and Goblin don't belong in that pic.

The orange one is my design.

STRMan
11-12-2009, 11:23 PM
The Andromeda would take all top 20 positions for me. My absolute favorite model.

Mark II
11-13-2009, 04:55 AM
Estes released so many exotic designs over the years - how is a person supposed to pick just 20? If we limit the choices to ones that we have actually built (or even just bought), as opposed to having just seen them in a catalog, then the list will be much shorter, or you'll hear from fewer people, including me.

I could have included the WFSP in my post. I considered doing that, but then I started thinking about why I would include some but not others in my list. Estes released so many exotic designs over the years, but to tell the truth, I never built any of them (because I wasn't building any rockets at all during nearly all of those years). So when I look back at all of the exotics that Estes released, I feel that they all look good to me (well, most anyway). And since I never built or owned hardly any of them (I have a couple now), it is hard for me to name my "favorites."

BTW, I think that #2191 is a real exotic design, too. ;)

I'm surprised that more people didn't mention the #1372 Alien Explorer. That kit and the USS Andromeda are right at the top of my list of the most exotic designs that Estes ever released. I'm also surprised that no one has mentioned the #2120 Venus Probe or the #2163 Exoskell. Regarding these last two, do kits that feature a lot of molded plastic count?

MarkII

gerryfortin
11-13-2009, 05:48 AM
The Andromeda would take all top 20 positions for me. My absolute favorite model.

Support for the Andromeda is building as one of the top exotic kits based on the last three posts. Personally, I like the Andromeda as one of the showcase Estes designs.

No one responded to the question concerning the Orion Starfighter / Torellian Invader combo kit or the World Federation Star Prober. Have any forum members ever built these models? Even with the size of my kit collection, I do not own these two kits and believe they are quite rare. Were the kits too exotic in 1980 and lacked interest at the time. I hope someone can share insight on this topic.

jeffyjeep
11-13-2009, 06:42 AM
jeffy,
Ram Jet ?
Am I mistaken on this one ?
I thought that was the ugly thing that was just a tube and fins with an ugly reduced-diameter ramjet cone.
Was there some sort of fantasy/sci-fi RamJet I missed ?
Oh, all right. Perhaps NOT the Ram jet. It's been 20 years since I've seen one.

jetlag
11-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Support for the Andromeda is building as one of the top exotic kits based on the last three posts. Personally, I like the Andromeda as one of the showcase Estes designs.

No one responded to the question concerning the Orion Starfighter / Torellian Invader combo kit or the World Federation Star Prober. Have any forum members ever built these models? Even with the size of my kit collection, I do not own these two kits and believe they are quite rare. Were the kits too exotic in 1980 and lacked interest at the time. I hope someone can share insight on this topic.

PDR released the WFSP and the OS/TI as kits, and I bought both. Unfortunately, I have not built either yet. These were Estes-released after my initial days as a rocketeer, so I never built any of the originals. I really don't want to afford them now, as they have gotten rather pricey. Especially, the OS/Ti combo. It IS quite rare in the original packaging. and extremely expensive, at least from my perspective.
Allen

sandman
11-13-2009, 12:46 PM

I'm working on the starfighter pair decals and should have them finished next week.

The Andromeda is one of my favorites but didn't get into my pics earlier.

DeanHFox
11-13-2009, 05:24 PM
The Andromeda is one of my favorites but didn't get into my pics earlier.Sweet, especially since that pic is of an SS Cassiopia (which, BTW, is also a super-cool design). :D :D :D

sandman
11-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Sweet, especially since that pic is of an SS Cassiopia (which, BTW, is also a super-cool design). :D :D :D

DOHHHH! :o

I clicked on the wrong pic.

Mark II
11-13-2009, 05:58 PM
No one responded to the question concerning the Orion Starfighter / Torellian Invader combo kit or the World Federation Star Prober. Have any forum members ever built these models? Even with the size of my kit collection, I do not own these two kits and believe they are quite rare. Were the kits too exotic in 1980 and lacked interest at the time. I hope someone can share insight on this topic.So many others to mention, that they probably just haven't come up yet. So I'll get the ball rolling: Yes, I like all three designs. In fact, I wanted to clone the WFSP awhile back, but the scan at YORP is too low-res. And I think that the Orion Starfighter and Torellian Invader are both extremely cool. If I had been buying rocket kits back in the early '80's, I would have grabbed those in a heartbeat.

But getting back to a design I mentioned earlier, I see the #1372 Alien Explorer (http://ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/81est038.html) as the perfect complement to the #1273 USS Andromeda. They are similar in length, diameter, fin span and design theme. Just imagine the drag race! :D If you like the Andromeda, I can't see how you wouldn't also like the AE. I think that this pair represents two of the coolest designs that Estes ever did.

Actually, let's make that drag race a three-way by throwing in the FlisKits Night Whisper. :cool:

MarkII

tbzep
11-13-2009, 06:04 PM
If you like the Andromeda, I can't see how you wouldn't also like the AE.

It never appealed to me because of the puke green color. If it had come out before the Andromeda and was done in black, it might the more popular of the two. I understand them not doing it in black after the Andromeda because they would be too similar. Seems like the designers could have found a more appealing color than puke green, though.

Mark II
11-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Also, your list simply won't have any legitimacy unless the #2016 Explorer Aquarius is right up there near the top.

Also the #2034 DST (http://ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/90est46.html) should be somewhere on that list. As well as the #2053 Black Hawk.

And what, no love out there for the #1203 Freaky Flyer? :confused: :chuckle:

MarkII

Mark II
11-13-2009, 06:37 PM
It never appealed to me because of the puke green color. If it had come out before the Andromeda and was done in black, it might the more popular of the two. I understand them not doing it in black after the Andromeda because they would be too similar. Seems like the designers could have found a more appealing color than puke green, though.Oh, I disagree - I think that the reptilian green color really fits that design. http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Animals/mini-lizard.gif (http://www.smileyshut.com/Smileys/Smiley-Huts-Free-Animal-Smileys.html)

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c123/lorenzobongo/V_Diana.jpg http://images.indiainfo.com/web2images/movies.indiainfo.com/2009/05/28/images/v_tv_series_400.jpg

MarkII

BlackBrant
11-13-2009, 10:00 PM
for me ,it`s

Orb. Stansport

Andromeda

LTV Scout

and the Pershing.

Had all of these (amongst many others) and all were lost .......so very sad indeed !!

Sure wish Estes would crack the time warp vault and re -release these and so many other classics.

OBTW- bought the Q modeling Nike X...........so very sweet ...so very big.

gerryfortin
11-14-2009, 05:06 AM
OBTW- bought the Q modeling Nike X...........so very sweet ...so very big.

I saw the Q modeling Nike X among their other demo models at NERRF this year. Was tempted to purchase but build pile is already out of control.

tonypv
11-14-2009, 06:12 AM

I have a World Federation Star Probe. Actually I've built three. The first one on it's first flight lawn darted and destroyed the the BT all the way to the upper most fins.
The second one on it's first flight was lost in the woods.
The third one had a successful flight and was retired.

My list, in no particular order, the first thirteen I have built either kit, or clone.

Orbital Transport
Trident
Mars Lander
Andromeda
Interceptor
Satellite Interceptor
Deep Space Transport
World Federation Star Probe
Mars Snooper
Starship Vega
Nebulon Warrior
Argosy
Starlab
U.S.S Atlantis
Hyperion
S.S. Cassiopea
Alien Explorer

gerryfortin
11-14-2009, 07:17 AM
Tony...thanks for posting your WFSP history and the image. I like the exotic picks and see that your included the WFSP and the Nebulon Warrior.

Hopefully there will be reasonable whether conditions during Nov 21 CMASS launch. This one I can attend and will bring a just completed USS Atlantis.

PaulK
11-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Here's my short list, not in any particular order - still have rather beat up originals of the first 3, and still fly them.

Interceptor
Alien Invader
Orion Starfighter
Starship Vega
Mars Snooper
Mars Lander
Orbital Transport
Trident
X-Wing Fighter
Patrol Cruiser Excalibur

Rocket Doctor
11-14-2009, 01:17 PM
?What about the DUDE???You can't get anymore exoctic than that, makes for a great birthday candle as well...........

Mark II
11-14-2009, 06:38 PM
?What about the DUDE???You can't get anymore exoctic than that, makes for a great birthday candle as well...........It would be right up there on my list of Top 20 Estes Gag Kits. :chuckle:

MarkII

bacasino
11-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Here's my short list, not in any particular order - still have rather beat up originals of the first 3, and still fly them.

Interceptor
Alien Invader
Orion Starfighter
Starship Vega
Mars Snooper
Mars Lander
Orbital Transport
Trident
X-Wing Fighter
Patrol Cruiser Excalibur

I like your list but i would also add Torellian invader and Alien explorer.

Mark II
11-14-2009, 07:38 PM
I like your list but i would also add Torellian invader and Alien explorer.Yes! Another vote for the AE! :D

MarkII

gerryfortin
11-15-2009, 06:19 AM
Great inputs! Here is the current "unofficial tally" Top 20 after trying to organize the content on each post. I believe everyone agrees with the Top 8 picks up through the SS Cassiopeia. Afterwards, a bit more murky..... :D

Andromeda 10
Mars Lander 9
Interceptor 8
Mars Snooper I +II 8
Orbital Transport 8
Trident 7
Alien Explorer 6
SS Cassiopeia 5
Strike Fighter 4
Manta Bomber 4
Solar Sailer 4
Starship Vega 4
Starship Nova 4
Star Speeder 4
USS Atlantis 4
Scorpius 3
Scissor Wing 3
Explorer Aquarius 3
Deep Space Transport 3
Patrol Cuiser Excaliber 3

marslndr
11-15-2009, 06:38 PM
For me number 1 is the Mars Lander! I guess that should come as no surprise.

Then the Starship Vega

Mars Snooper

Argosy

Orbital Transport

Deep Space Transport

Spaceman

Wolverine

Mark II
11-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Spaceman? Interesting choice! Someone who respects the old school. :chuckle: :D

MarkII

marslndr
11-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Real old school!

Still one of my favorites.

Mark II
11-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Real old school!

Still one of my favorites.Right on, brother.

MarkII

gerryfortin
11-28-2009, 08:09 AM
I've added a Top 20 table to the eBay kit collecting homepage that features the informal results of discussions contained within this thread. This was not my original intention but now that the opinions were tabulated, I though to at least post the information on the website for others to consider.

Where there were multiple kit options, I chose the more "common" kit to acquire and list in the Top 20 table.

Feedback is always welcomed and appreciated.......

Rocket Doctor
11-29-2009, 07:13 AM
Great job Gerry, keep up the good work.

Rustee
12-02-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm wondering how many kits Estes or Centuri(and others) may have advertised but never made or made in very limited quantities like the Cygnus Probe or that space shuttle thing on the back of a catalogue. I would think there would have to be at least one prototype made,now these would be truly "exotic"! Rarity would be one criteria for collecting I would think,not to get off-topic but low production numbers just make them that much cooler! I'd rank the Black Hole Space Probe #1.

Initiator001
12-02-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm wondering how many kits Estes or Centuri(and others) may have advertised but never made or made in very limited quantities like the Cygnus Probe or that space shuttle thing on the back of a catalogue. I would think there would have to be at least one prototype made,now these would be truly "exotic"! Rarity would be one criteria for collecting I would think,not to get off-topic but low production numbers just make them that much cooler! I'd rank the Black Hole Space Probe #1.

See this thread on the subject: http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=5113

Bob

Rustee
12-03-2009, 12:26 AM
I was really dissapointed to find that a lot of old Estes products mysteriously disappeared or were cancelled,it reminds me of how our government scrapped the Avro Arrow and destroyed much of the information,although one complete aircraft was supposedly spirited away. Speaking of exotic,I met a man who had a factory model of the Flying Saucer project they were working on for the U.S. Military in his office,he said he had two of them in fact,and some drawings. I'm thinking I should have pressed him to part with one...

ghrocketman
12-03-2009, 08:58 AM
My understanding is that Estes kitted a bunch of the Cygnus Probes only to have it ixnayed by the movie studio, and as a result were scrapped. Supposedly at LEAST one was spirited away and exists in a private collection though. The other most glaring example of a highly-touted Estes product that never came to fruition was the Battlestar Galactica Cylon Raider.
My understanding was that that one never made it out of prototype due to the fact that they could not get stable flights out of any rocket that closely resembled the Raider.
Go figure on that one ay ? :rolleyes:
An undercambered ellipse shaped wing with ZERO tail ? Wonder why it would not fly ?? :rolleyes:

arlblaster
12-03-2009, 04:16 PM

Hey,I dont know if you have ever built a Black Hole Space Probe but,if you havnt ,you really should.... Great kit!!!!!

Ken

ghrocketman
12-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Actually I think they made quite a few Black Hole Space Probe kits. That one shows up on ebay quite frequently

Doug Sams
12-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Hey,I dont know if you have ever built a Black Hole Space Probe (http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1350.htm) but,if you havnt ,you really should.... Great kit!!!!! You'll put your eye out http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif Doug

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/est1350@.gif (http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1350.htm)

gerryfortin
12-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Actually I think they made quite a few Black Hole Space Probe kits. That one shows up on ebay quite frequently

Actually, the Black Hole Space Probe kits (#1350) are quite difficult to locate outside of the starter set. Only 3 original kits have appeared on eBay since February 2008. Two were in plastic bag with hangtag and one was boxed. These results surprised me also when I checked the database.

harpman
08-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Hey does anyone have a scale drawing of the Estes Pegasus #0806? I have a nice drawing of the fins but it is not to scale. If anyone can help.....Thanks

Jeff

Mark II
08-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Hey does anyone have a scale drawing of the Estes Pegasus #0806? I have a nice drawing of the fins but it is not to scale. If anyone can help.....Thanks

JeffThis should work. Note that the paper size is US Legal, 8.5" by 14". Use the appropriate size of paper in your printer and set the Page Scaling to "None."

I usually print my fin patterns out on cardstock. Since 8.5" x 14" cardstock can be hard to find, try substituting lightweight poster board. You can buy a large sheet and cut out a legal page-sized piece to print on if you can't find any in that size. Most inkjet printers can handle poster board without difficulty.

chrism
08-21-2010, 12:10 AM
You'll put your eye out http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif Doug

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/est1350@.gif (http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1350.htm)

Some of the parts to clone one can be found at Semroc. They even have a Semroc part No. for the fin set but it is not available yet. This rocket is on my planing to clone list

chrism
08-21-2010, 12:12 AM
Great inputs! Here is the current "unofficial tally" Top 20 after trying to organize the content on each post. I believe everyone agrees with the Top 8 picks up through the SS Cassiopeia. Afterwards, a bit more murky..... :D

Andromeda 10
Mars Lander 9
Interceptor 8
Mars Snooper I +II 8
Orbital Transport 8
Trident 7
Alien Explorer 6
SS Cassiopeia 5
Strike Fighter 4
Manta Bomber 4
Solar Sailer 4
Starship Vega 4
Starship Nova 4
Star Speeder 4
USS Atlantis 4
Scorpius 3
Scissor Wing 3
Explorer Aquarius 3
Deep Space Transport 3
Patrol Cuiser Excaliber 3
These are all great kits that should be brought back. Hey, Estes are you getting the hint???

Brain
08-28-2010, 11:01 AM
I may be more of a "modeler" than a "rocketeer".

One of the neat things about this hobby is that you can utilize both interests. I have some fairly nifty plastic models on my shelf that I spent some time and care to finish, but all you can do with them is admire them (and I do!).

But in rocketry there's a litmus test: you not only desire to make a nice scale copy of some projectile but you also get to test it under realistic circumstances. When both come together, it's a real igniter!

And on top of that - during the down time - they still look good up on the shelf.
Win-win!

-Brain
Aim for the sucker holes.

gonzoexe
08-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi Dave R.
Ref. "exotic kits"

I see you listed the Starbase Starcruiser (#2113), I have parts of one, but have never seen one listed on ebay etc. I heard these were made special for scouts and clubs is that true?
Any info. would be helpful.

Thanks
Dave D.
Gonzoexe -eBay

DaveR
08-29-2010, 01:03 AM
Hi Dave R.
Ref. "exotic kits"

I see you listed the Starbase Starcruiser (#2113), I have parts of one, but have never seen one listed on ebay etc. I heard these were made special for scouts and clubs is that true?
Any info. would be helpful.

Thanks
Dave D.
Gonzoexe -eBayThat list was cut and pasted from this Excel Spreadsheet (http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=6291) which is an expansion of Scott's list (located here (http://www.rocketshoppe.com/info/estes_kit_list.pdf)) #2113 Starbase Starcruiser was a "Special Camp Issue". That's about all I know regarding this kit. My guess is that if you had a complete kit, it would probably fetch a seriously high pirice on Ebay.

There are others here that know WAY more than I ever will, maybe someone will chime in with more info.

kenobi65
08-29-2010, 03:12 PM
I seem to recall seeing a thread about the Starcruiser on TRF a few weeks back.

Despite the "exotic" name, from what I recall, it's a very basic rocket, with a fin can, a plastic nose cone, and a white body tube made so that kids can easily decorate it as they want.

Blushingmule
08-31-2010, 12:51 PM
Well, there's a combo kit of the Orion Starfighter and Torellian Invader on ebay:
#150484626751, Black Hole Space Probe: 130426248669, and an Alien Explorer: #130426622660.

I like the combo kit (never seen 'em before) but $$$

Bob

timorley
09-29-2010, 12:15 PM
I seem to recall seeing a thread about the Starcruiser on TRF a few weeks back.

Despite the "exotic" name, from what I recall, it's a very basic rocket, with a fin can, a plastic nose cone, and a white body tube made so that kids can easily decorate it as they want.

Yep, the Starbase Starcruiser pretty basic. My local LHS as a bunch of these they are selling, I just bought one this week. They came from a bulk pack, $11.95 each. White 18 inch BT-60 body tube with a 1 piece 4 fin black plastic fin can, black plastic nose cone, and a large decal.

gonzoexe
10-01-2010, 02:29 AM
Yep, the Starbase Starcruiser pretty basic. My local LHS as a bunch of these they are selling, I just bought one this week. They came from a bulk pack, $11.95 each. White 18 inch BT-60 body tube with a 1 piece 4 fin black plastic fin can, black plastic nose cone, and a large decal.

Hi;

If there's some contact info. you can provide I'd be interested in buying a couple of the kits... Please reply via PM.

Thanks
Dave

timorley
10-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Contact info for the LHS I bought it at PM'd. Price is actually $11.99.

BEC
10-01-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm surprised to see no mentions of the original K-31 Star Blazer. It's not all that exotic, but it certainly fits the idea better than some of those listed here....

Others from the "I wish I could've had 'em" from back in the day are the Trident (my Semroc xKit version was badly damaged by a hugely over energetic ejection charge on its first flight a couple of weeks ago) and the Orbital Transport (Semroc kit in bag on hand).

I have fond memories of longing for some of the other popular ones in this thread as well.

The Starship Excalibur is in the near term build queue - not a kit but a plan, of course.

Blakkzakk
10-24-2010, 02:01 PM
1) Mars Lander (Had one)
2) Mars Snooper I (Ditto....I scratch built one for MMX))
3) Trident (Ditto)
4) USS Andromeda (Never got that one)
5) Scissor Wing Transport (Had one)
6) Wolverine (Had one....scratch built one for MMX)
7) Orbital Transport (Had one)
8) Starship Vega (Never had one)
9) USS Cassiopeia (Never had one)
10) Condor ARV (Had one....sort of a 13mm version of the Orbital Transport)
11) Venus Probe (Had one....FUN!)
12) Silver Comet (Still have mine!)

Maybe I'll think of others.

Brain
10-24-2010, 02:41 PM
An undercambered ellipse shaped wing with ZERO tail ? Wonder why it would not fly ?? :rolleyes:

Yes, but in typical Estes fashion (had they released it) they would have tried hard to MAKE it fly, like they did with the Enterprise: shove a tube in it and add some fins and say "Hey! There ya go. Tough luck, Trekkie!" I've seen clear plastic fins to try and hide the fact that they didn't belong, and even Zooch has those faux 'exhaust flame' fins on his little kits. At least he's thinking a little harder about the problem - which yes, I know is a method to make a particular design flyable.

There's also the idea of not even bothering...

blackshire
10-24-2010, 10:07 PM
DOHHHH! :o

I clicked on the wrong pic.That photo (in Reply #27) does have accurate lighting, showing the way a full-scale Starship Andromeda would be illuminated out in interstellar space--*v-e-r-y* dimly!

Mark II
10-24-2010, 10:16 PM
That photo (in Reply #27) does have accurate lighting, showing the way a full-scale Starship Andromeda would be illuminated out in interstellar space--*v-e-r-y* dimly!No, actually the lighting in the photo is much too bright!

blackshire
10-24-2010, 11:38 PM
No, actually the lighting in the photo is much too bright!On my monitor, I almost can't even see the Andromeda model against the background--it has about the same contrast as a black cat in front of a pile of coal on a Moonless night.

Mark II
10-24-2010, 11:45 PM
On my monitor, I almost can't even see the Andromeda model against the background--it has about the same contrast as a black cat in front of a pile of coal on a Moonless night.Oh, OK. On mine it is dark but still clearly visible in detail.

blackshire
10-24-2010, 11:56 PM
Oh, OK. On mine it is dark but still clearly visible in detail.No problem. Mine (a CRT unit) does have some "burn-in" because a friend gave it to me used (and it works fine otherwise)--"Don't look a gift monitor in the flyback transformer." :-)