PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Storage Rack?

Bob Thomas
01-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Hellppp!!!!!,

I've finally done it. I have so many projects started/completed no paint/on the workbench that my wife has officially put her foot down (almost on a ten pack of BT-50s). I must find a way to store my Rockets. I thought of hanging them from the ceiling but the heartbreak of a dropped rocket is not worth it. I have seen those dowel racks, but I am undecided. I think the only safe way to store them is vertically, no pressure on the mount or warping of tubes/fins. Anyone have any pictures of what they have done (other than building an addition) or not done (so I can show my wife your mess and she won't be so hard on me).

Bob

Eagle3
01-12-2006, 01:48 PM
In the hobby room I have one shelf ledge that was built into a wall. It was there when we got the house. It extends the entire wall and then on another wall I installed three six foot shelfs. All of the high power stuff is standing in the office over in one corner. I don't care for that arrangement, but for the time being it's the best I can do. Does anyone have empirical data on storing rockets in extreme cold? I have plenty of room in a dry pole barn, but I'm afraid to keep anything out there as cold as it gets here in the Winter.

Bob Thomas
01-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Watch out, Buzz.
I had my Vindicator in the sub-basement (unheated) for fifteen years. The body and fins were unfinished and suffered from what I believe was condensation staining. Had the fins been thinner stock, I bet they would have warped. It was salvageable and is now the pride of my growing fleet. Parts from one other oldie, my NOMAD, showed signs of bulging around the edges of the fiber fins, again I attribute to condensation and possibly mold growth (eewwh!). That rocket was finished and, I thought, properly sealed by paint. It too is still flight worthy after some sanding, CA & paint. I just picked up some wooden Doll pins (round clothes pins) that I plan to screw to a few lengths of 1x6 for vertical mounting. I almost hate to do it because the only place they will fit is in my boiler room. I was hoping for some great idea to keep the fleet in view, but out of harms way.

Bob

barone
01-13-2006, 06:56 PM
I saw someone post something about a rocket rack but I can't remember where. May have been in a magazine. But it was, if I remember correctly, pegboard mounted on a frame of 1X2. It was set up so it would hang on a wall but had legs folded against the wall so you could take it down and and stand it. When standing on the legs, the rockets would be stored vertical. On the wall, 45 degree. The theory was to hang on wall but then could take it down, put it in the back of your SUV, and drive it to the range. Or maybe it wasn't pegboard and was just strips of wood in a frame with wood dowels....... :confused:

Well, maybe I've said enough to refresh someone elses memory.... :rolleyes:

Don
NAR 53455

CPMcGraw
01-13-2006, 08:33 PM
I saw someone post something about a rocket rack but I can't remember where. May have been in a magazine. But it was, if I remember correctly, pegboard mounted on a frame of 1X2. It was set up so it would hang on a wall but had legs folded against the wall so you could take it down and and stand it. When standing on the legs, the rockets would be stored vertical. On the wall, 45 degree. The theory was to hang on wall but then could take it down, put it in the back of your SUV, and drive it to the range. Or maybe it wasn't pegboard and was just strips of wood in a frame with wood dowels....... :confused:

Well, maybe I've said enough to refresh someone elses memory.... :rolleyes:

Don
NAR 53455

We have a similar design up on BARCLONE. Bit Eimer's portable rocket rack. No pegboard, but it has folding legs and can be fitted for a small auto. It should be in the ACCESSORIES section.

http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com/accessories/rack/RocketRack.htm

barone
01-14-2006, 02:47 AM
We have a similar design up on BARCLONE. Bit Eimer's portable rocket rack. No pegboard, but it has folding legs and can be fitted for a small auto. It should be in the ACCESSORIES section.

http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com/accessories/rack/RocketRack.htm

Yep....That's it. Knew I saw it somewhere...... :D

Don
NAR 53455