PDA

View Full Version : Built rockets on display

Shamous
01-18-2010, 06:06 PM
I am working on designing my rocket room and I was wondering if you guys had any good ideas of how to display my built rockets. In my previous room, I mostly just hung them from the ceiling. I plan on doing that again, but I have twice as many now so they won't all fit. They are in boxes right now and I hate that. What do you suggest that I do?

shrox
01-18-2010, 06:14 PM
How about a display wall? Put some pegs that will fit in the motor tube in a board at a 45 degree up angle and you can display and remove them from the display as well.
Or a nice glass cabinet is what I have always wanted.

Shamous
01-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Not sure the 45 degree thing will work out too well. It makes them stick out too far and I prefer them to be upright. Now the glassed in area is a posibility. I have a 5 ft by 8 ft by 2 ft closet type area that I have been thinking about using. Just not sure how to fit a bunch into this space.

CPMcGraw
01-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Here's one suggestion from Bit Eimer, who contributed this design several years ago. It's located on the BARCLONE website in the "Accessories" section:

Portable Rocket Rack (http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com/accessories/rack/RocketRack.htm)

You might be able to modify the dimensions for your smaller room. It was designed to fit in a compact wagon, though...

mycrofte
01-19-2010, 03:03 AM
If you have a 5 X 2 area then take that rack and turn it sideways. That way, you can store and see them in a smaller space.

If you are really ambitious, then put it on rollers like a pocket door. Except it would slide in and out for rocket access!

Shamous
01-19-2010, 04:55 PM
If you have a 5 X 2 area then take that rack and turn it sideways. That way, you can store and see them in a smaller space.

If you are really ambitious, then put it on rollers like a pocket door. Except it would slide in and out for rocket access!

Sorry, I messed up my closet's dimentions. I ment to say 5 X 8 X 2. So it is a good sized space.

mycrofte
01-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Even so, mounting them at a 45 would still save space and look cool to. Just depends on what you want it to look like and how many rockets you have.

Les
01-19-2010, 08:41 PM
I use some 1X3 and 1X4 with dowels to mount the rockets vertically. I then built some shelves with different heights for small, medium, and tall rockets.

mikeyd
01-19-2010, 08:50 PM
I've used Gun Cases, Curio Shelves, Peg Boards, and Shelves, and still ran out of room!
http://members.cox.net/1radsaved/photos/Rocketroom.htm

Shamous
01-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys. Great pics. Keep em up.

mycrofte
01-20-2010, 03:35 AM
Any one of those shelves has more rockets than I have all together!

Then again, must be a bi-polar thing, I keep telling myself I have enough and build anyway...

Shamous
01-20-2010, 06:16 AM
I use some 1X3 and 1X4 with dowels to mount the rockets vertically. I then built some shelves with different heights for small, medium, and tall rockets.
So far, I'm liking this arrangement the best. Do you have any more pics? I would also like to know the dimentions that you used. Your collection is similar in size to mine.

Les
01-20-2010, 09:11 PM
The shelves are 36" wide and 24" deep. The shelves have no top so the rocket hieght is only limited by the ceiling.
I sometimes get a small trickle of trickle of water in, plus a concern of humidity from the concrete so the top surface of the bottom shelf is 2" off the ground.

The small rocket shelf is 18" tall (first pix on left)

The tall rocket shelf is above this one.

The other shelf unit has the lower unit 30" high for medium rockets. (middle pix).
And above for slightly taller medium rockets (last pix on right)

The dowel boards have the dowels anywhere 4" to 7" apart (depending on rocket sizes)

Les
01-20-2010, 09:15 PM
The tall rocket shelf is above this one.

I could not load all the pix (I found the file was too big) - here is the tall rocket shelf

dlazarus6660
01-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Les,

All those rockets and not one Space 1999 "Eagle"?

Daniel

mikeyd
01-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Les,

Daniel
oh oh oh I got one of those!

Only picture of it I could find, guess I need to take a new one!
It is in the top left corner of the picture.

mycrofte
01-21-2010, 05:37 PM
oh oh oh I got one of those!

Only picture of it I could find, guess I need to take a new one!
It is in the top left corner of the picture.

Yeah, they invented the word SCUM for a reason... :chuckle:

dlazarus6660
01-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Wellll...... Take a pic...take two! or even more cause I have not seen one of these rockets in over thirty years! :eek: :D :p

Daniel

Shamous
01-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks Les. I like your idea the best so far and your space is very close to the space I plan on using. You also use the board with the dowels trick, one that I have been using to years as well. Makes it much easier to get to the back row this way and no tipping over or domino effect.

Les
01-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Les,

Daniel

Nope - never got my hands on one.
There are many kits I wish I had. Only so many can be found (at a reasonable price through auctions)

Of course, my wife feels I've found too many

traveler
02-17-2010, 11:43 PM
I've used Gun Cases, Curio Shelves, Peg Boards, and Shelves, and still ran out of room!

Good looking displays Buds!!!

What's the brown rocket in the second pic, the vertical one, the east storage cabinet? Looks like it's unbuilt.

:cool:

Mikus
02-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Wellll...... Take a pic...take two! or even more cause I have not seen one of these rockets in over thirty years! :eek: :D :p

Daniel

I've seen a couple on ebay.... going WELL outside my price range. :(

Checkered Flag Models
11-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Seems there are allot of good ideas and quality suggestions on this thread about storage. I have a small company in Michigan geared to model equipment. One current product available not mentioned here is our Rocket Rack. It has multiple functions, but one major advantage is the use of wires holding the rockets in the launch lugs as opposed to the motor mounts. A great feature at the launch site, because you can prepare your models for flight with motors and keep them on the rocket rack ready to go. Also it works great at home in the shop for display. I'll attach some photo's of the racks. you can also read a product review by Duane Boldt on the rack at EMRR. Or check out my web site or facebook page. For more info contact me at greg@checkeredflagmodels.com...

http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/cfm_rocket_rack.shtml

Shamous
11-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Seems there are allot of good ideas and quality suggestions on this thread about storage. I have a small company in Michigan geared to model equipment. One current product available not mentioned here is our Rocket Rack. It has multiple functions, but one major advantage is the use of wires holding the rockets in the launch lugs as opposed to the motor mounts. A great feature at the launch site, because you can prepare your models for flight with motors and keep them on the rocket rack ready to go. Also it works great at home in the shop for display. I'll attach some photo's of the racks. you can also read a product review by Duane Boldt on the rack at EMRR. Or check out my web site or facebook page. For more info contact me at greg@checkeredflagmodels.com...

http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/cfm_rocket_rack.shtml
Nice rack, er, nice rocket stand. ;) My problem is that I need to have it for several hundred rockets. It does give me some ideas though. Thanks.

jharding58
11-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Not sure about the spacing needed but the peg racks from HomeLowes are on a 48" strip with a four inch long 1/2" diameter dowel. Holes are predrilled and using an old engine you can use the dowel as the support to clip the model to the rack.

Shamous
11-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Not sure about the spacing needed but the peg racks from HomeLowes are on a 48" strip with a four inch long 1/2" diameter dowel. Holes are predrilled and using an old engine you can use the dowel as the support to clip the model to the rack.
I'm sorry but I don't understand. :confused: What's a "peg rack?"

jharding58
11-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Sometimes called a shaker peg rack. Dependent upon the use the pegs may be angled above the horizontal or parallel to the deck. Plain, 1/2" dowels inserted into holes with 3" spacing on center, usually on a 1 x 3 milled edge board about 60" long.

ga1ba2
11-27-2010, 07:21 PM
I made this 2 years ago for about $30. It holds about 50 rockets.

Shamous
11-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Now we're talking. Very nice. This is more what I am looking for. :cool:

EchoVictor
12-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Cheap and easy racks using pegboard and spent motor casings....

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6802

Later,
EV

dyaugo
12-21-2010, 12:39 PM

The SR-71 looks pretty cool...nice scale. Is that a rocket or an RC plane??

dlazarus6660
12-22-2010, 05:28 AM
Dan Y.

Which one?

There is two in the pic.
One on the wall, one on the floor.

Daniel

dyaugo
12-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Dan Y.

Which one?

There is two in the pic.
One on the wall, one on the floor.

Daniel

on the wall

AstronMike
12-22-2010, 11:52 PM
That SR on the wall has elevons....I'll bet this is one of the old Hobbylabs models. I have one of the free flight versions currently collecting dust in my shed right now, and with 100+ gliders all over inside my house, should tell you something.

The way this model worked was to use an E15-P, and under thrust, it would push against something that also worked to flatten the elevons down for boost, but as soon as burnout occurred it would then 'wallow' out to transition. No real coast time upwards, and it glided pretty steeply (well, this *IS* an SR-71, right).

Overall, it looks nice, and is molded well, but do not expect more than fast up/nearly as fast down. Might have to 'dump' this on someone who will actually enjoy it......

dyaugo
12-22-2010, 11:55 PM
That SR on the wall has elevons....I'll bet this is one of the old Hobbylabs models. I have one of the free flight versions currently collecting dust in my shed right now, and with 100+ gliders all over inside my house, should tell you something.

The way this model worked was to use an E15-P, and under thrust, it would push against something that also worked to flatten the elevons down for boost, but as soon as burnout occurred it would then 'wallow' out to transition. No real coast time upwards, and it glided pretty steeply (well, this *IS* an SR-71, right).

Overall, it looks nice, and is molded well, but do not expect more than fast up/nearly as fast down. Might have to 'dump' this on someone who will actually enjoy it......

Banana Hobbies has an RC SR-71 Blackbird...

that's what I thought it was...