PDA

View Full Version : Quest High-Q Kit

Initiator001
02-20-2010, 08:57 PM
My Quest President's Day Sale order arrived today.

One of the items I ordered was the new High-Q kit. I will begin working on it this week. This will be the first kit I have built that was "...Designed by internationally famous designer Scott Branche". ;) :chuckle:

The High-Q has fewer fins than the Big Dog but the paint scheme is more complicated.

More to follow...

Bob

rokitflite
02-20-2010, 09:13 PM
You should not have any trouble with the paint scheme Bob... I loosely patterned it after a favorite model of mine that you recently finished building... :D

GregGleason
02-21-2010, 07:52 PM
I really like the packaging that Quest did for the kit. It says that this is a "serious rocket kit".

Greg

ghrocketman
02-22-2010, 12:48 PM
All others must be "joke rocket kits" huh ???
Sounds like serious nonsense marketing b.s. jargon to me. :rolleyes:

jetlag
02-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Sounds like serious nonsense marketing b.s. jargon to me.

Easy, GH...
The packaging DOES look quite professional. I was reminded of the the old NCR/Estes kits and the way they were packaged. Very nice, indeed! Thanks, Quest!
Allen

rokitflite
02-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Sounds like serious nonsense marketing b.s. jargon to me. :rolleyes:

Good Lord... Do you have anger issues or what?

ghrocketman
02-22-2010, 03:05 PM
No anger issues I'm aware of..... :D
Seriously..... :chuckle: :p :)

Just thought it was a nonsensical label on a box....

GregGleason
02-22-2010, 03:32 PM
I really like the packaging that Quest did for the kit. It says that this is a "serious rocket kit".

Greg

:chuckle:

Just for the record: there is no text that I know of on the box that states explicitly that this is a "Serious Rocket Kit", as in "For Serious Rocket Builders ONLY" or "Casual Rocket Flyers Move Along, There is Nothing for YOU Here" or "You Need to Be This Tall to Buy This Rocket".

My comment is that most of the rockets that are sold are "clear bag" fare, which is ok and I don't mind that at all and I don't want to imply that they are not worthy of attention. However, when a rocket is sold in a solid cardboard box the vendor is making a statement that the contents inside are valued and we need a big box to protect them. Now if it came in a twill carbon fiber box with foam cutouts for the parts, hmmmm...

:)

Greg

Green Dragon
02-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Easy, GH...
The packaging DOES look quite professional. I was reminded of the the old NCR/Estes kits and the way they were packaged. Very nice, indeed! Thanks, Quest!
Allen

or ENERJET !!!!!!!

Initiator001
02-22-2010, 11:29 PM
or ENERJET !!!!!!!

Yup.

Don't forget the original AeroTech kit packaging, either. ;)

Bob

Initiator001
02-22-2010, 11:55 PM
I have started to build my High-Q kit by sealing the body tube and fins.

While working on the fins, I discovered that the root edge is not flat, it is concave. Not by much but just enough that the center/middle of the fin does not touch the body tube.

I need to do more sanding... ;)

Bob

rokitflite
02-23-2010, 06:39 AM
I have started to build my High-Q kit by sealing the body tube and fins.

While working on the fins, I discovered that the root edge is not flat, it is concave. Not by much but just enough that the center/middle of the fin does not touch the body tube.

Bob

Its probably due to the fact that you opened the box incorrectly Bob... I expected better out of a "Master Modeler". :mad:

pantherjon
02-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Its probably due to the fact that you opened the box incorrectly Bob... I expected better out of a "Master Modeler". :mad:

Yeah, he must not have had his tongue in the right position when he opened the box!

:chuckle: :p

Chas Russell
02-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Has anyone else found a problem with the fins not having a flat root edge? I only opened my kit to take a quick look and did not even take the fins out of the box. If it is a problem, perhaps some feedback to Quest is in order. Takes me back to an article that G. Harry wrote about custom plastic parts...tongue-in-cheek he said the parts were flawed after that made a large run.

Anyway, contine Bob.

Chas

ghrocketman
02-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Okay, okay, you got me with the Enerjet reference.
Those all started out as boxed kits.
When Centuri started divesting that division they switched to much cheaper "bagged" packaging for all kits.
The only Enerjet kits I have are bagged, but I bought them as "builders" not collectors.

Initiator001
02-27-2010, 03:24 PM
My Quest High-Q kit build is making slow but steady progress. :)

I have sealed the seams on the body tube and given the fins three coats of Elmer's Wood Filler with sanding.

I have replaced the kit motor mount tube with a longer one as I want to incorporate a baffle into it.

I sanded out the molding lines on the nose cone.

The launch lug I.D. is still too big for a 3/16" launch rod and too small for an 1/4" launch rod (See my Big Dog kit build comments). I will replace it with a 1/4" I.D. launch lug.

The recovery system has been improved over the Big Dog. Both kits feature 42" of kevlar line to anchor the recovery system. The Big Dog came with some thin round elastic to be tied to the kevlar as a shock cord. I replaced it with six feet of 1/4" wide flat elastic. The High-Q kit contains 44" of nice round 1/8"-3/16" elastic which I will use with the kit.

To be continued...

shrox
02-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Has anyone else found a problem with the fins not having a flat root edge? I only opened my kit to take a quick look and did not even take the fins out of the box. If it is a problem, perhaps some feedback to Quest is in order. Takes me back to an article that G. Harry wrote about custom plastic parts...tongue-in-cheek he said the parts were flawed after that made a large run.

Anyway, contine Bob.

Chas
It's a minor variation that is very easy to sand away.

Initiator001
03-06-2010, 01:53 AM
I have finished the building of my Quest High-Q kit.

Next comes the finishing.

Initiator001
03-25-2010, 08:05 PM
All done. :)

I like it. :D

Thanks to Rokitflite for designing another excellent model. The factory paint scheme sets it apart from many other models.

BTW, this is the first Scott Branche kit I have bought THEN actually built. :o

I look forward to building many more. ;)

Bob

JRThro
03-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Looks great!

I look forward to buying a Quad Runner kit and putting 4 18 mm motor mounts in it, the way Nature and world-famous model rocket designer Scott Branche intended.
:)

rokitflite
03-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Gorgeous Bob! Sorry I forgot to answer your specific decal question you asked me... The answer, shamefully, would have been "I'm not sure". The only model I would have had to compare it to is in the offices of Quest... Many miles away from me.

GregGleason
03-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Wow, that's nice Bob!

It seems like every rocket you build is ready for its glamor shot.

Greg

Initiator001
03-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

I chalk it up to wanting to build/finish models as well as Mr. Branche can do it. :)

Did I mention he designs some pretty cool models, too? ;)

Bob

foose4string
03-26-2010, 11:54 AM
That looks fantastic Bob!

LeeR
03-27-2010, 06:45 PM
I agree with all, really attractive build, and nice finish. I really like the colors, and decals. But ...

I just looked at the Quest website, and this kit, discounted, goes for $34.99.

Really? I am struggling with paying that much for a 3FNC (or is it 4FNC?) decaled kit, even in a box. (I mean, come on... Wheat Thins come in a colorful box. I hope the price is not bumped up due to the box).

I love seeing Quest succeed, and want to support them whenever I can, but probably not with any of the these D/E/F kits that sell for north of $30.

I compare the price of this to the new Semroc Orion, discounted thru someone like JonRocket.com, for $37.50, and that kit has pods, 7 balsa nose cones, body wraps, etc.

Initiator001
03-30-2010, 01:26 AM
Saturday, March 27th, was another beautiful day in San Diego, CA.

Little or no wind and sunshine.

Good rocket flying weather. :)

I readied my newly finished Quest High-Q model with a D12-5 motor.

While I had installed a baffle in the kit, the finished weight (less motor) was 6.0 oz.

The model had a great flight and recovery. :D

My thanks to my friend Scott/Rokitflite for a great kit design and to Quest for producing this model.

Bob

Initiator001
03-30-2010, 01:45 AM
I agree with all, really attractive build, and nice finish. I really like the colors, and decals. But ...

I just looked at the Quest website, and this kit, discounted, goes for $34.99.

Really? I am struggling with paying that much for a 3FNC (or is it 4FNC?) decaled kit, even in a box. (I mean, come on... Wheat Thins come in a colorful box. I hope the price is not bumped up due to the box).

I love seeing Quest succeed, and want to support them whenever I can, but probably not with any of the these D/E/F kits that sell for north of $30.

I compare the price of this to the new Semroc Orion, discounted thru someone like JonRocket.com, for $37.50, and that kit has pods, 7 balsa nose cones, body wraps, etc.

There is something very important to keep in mind.

Estes, Quest and AeroTech sell model rocket products through hobby distributors such as Great Planes (Part of Hobbico which recently bought Estes), Horizon Hobbies, Cal Hobby Distributors, etc.

These distributors, in turn, sell products to hobby shops. The distributors must get 'their cut' of the $$$ from the sale of these products. If you want your hobby product to have widespread availability, a hobby company must work with hobby distributors.

In the case of model rocketry, the pricing and discount levels were set many decades ago. A model rocket kit with a Suggested Retail Price (SRP) of $20.00 will be sold to a hobby distributor for between $8-$10 (50%-56% discount). A distributor then sells the kit to a hobby retailer/shop for 40%-47% off of SRP ($10.60-$12.00). The hobby shop then charges whatever they want to the public.

Since Quest goes through distributors, the $39.99 SRP of the High-Q kit works out to around $18-20 selling price to a distributor. That $18-20 is what Quest is paid and they must make the company work on that amount of money, not the $39.99 SRP.

Semroc does not go through hobby distributors. If they did, I suspect the SRP of the Orion kit would be $70-$80.

Bob

GregGleason
03-30-2010, 07:24 AM
In the case of model rocketry, the pricing and discount levels were set many decades ago ...

That's pretty interesting Bob. I guess "inertia" is not just a concept confined to physics. It makes me appreciate Semroc and other direct vendors even more.

Greg

rokitflite
03-30-2010, 08:57 AM
There is something very important to keep in mind.

Estes, Quest and AeroTech sell model rocket products through hobby distributors such as Great Planes (Part of Hobbico which recently bought Estes), Horizon Hobbies, Cal Hobby Distributors, etc.

These distributors, in turn, sell products to hobby shops. The distributors must get 'their cut' of the $$$ from the sale of these products. If you want your hobby product to have widespread availability, a hobby company must work with hobby distributors.

In the case of model rocketry, the pricing and discount levels were set many decades ago. A model rocket kit with a Suggested Retail Price (SRP) of $20.00 will be sold to a hobby distributor for between $8-$10 (50%-56% discount). A distributor then sells the kit to a hobby retailer/shop for 40%-47% off of SRP ($10.60-$12.00). The hobby shop then charges whatever they want to the public.

Since Quest goes through distributors, the $39.99 SRP of the High-Q kit works out to around $18-20 selling price to a distributor. That $18-20 is what Quest is paid and they must make the company work on that amount of money, not the $39.99 SRP.

Semroc does not go through hobby distributors. If they did, I suspect the SRP of the Orion kit would be $70-$80.

Bob

Having worked as manufacturer, distributor and retailer, I can say that Bob is 100% correct.

LeeR
03-30-2010, 08:12 PM
I can still say I will not buy the Quest D/E/F kits, whether they are "100%" correct, justified, in the habit of, etc. selling under their old "standard" pricing structure.

I noticed after my first post that jonrocket.com sells the Quest High-Q for the same price as Quest. So much for getting a better price thru an internet distributor/reseller. (OK, to be fair, I did not do exhaustive pricing research). But jonrocket.com is pretty representative of the places where I order -- good prices, free shipping if order is large enough, etc. Hobby stores? I do not frequent them anymore.

I'll buy Quest motors and some of the new, very cool (and inexpensive) 18mm motor kits. But I really like the idea of supporting Semroc and all the little internet resellers for most everything else.

Just my 2 cents (which I feel buys 3 cents worth of Semroc product) ...

Lee

jadebox
03-30-2010, 08:27 PM
I noticed after my first post that jonrocket.com sells the Quest High-Q for the same price as Quest. So much for getting a better price thru an internet distributor/reseller ....

Don't forget that our shipping cost is much lower than Quest's -- spend just a few dollars more and shipping is free.

Unfortunately, the box makes the price we have to charge for the High-Q a little higher. It makes the kit a little heaver and makes packing it, especially when shipped with other kits, more difficult.

-- Roger
jonrocket.com

Initiator001
03-30-2010, 11:13 PM
I can still say I will not buy the Quest D/E/F kits, whether they are "100%" correct, justified, in the habit of, etc. selling under their old "standard" pricing structure.

You'll be missing out on some very fine models.

I intend to buy and fly all of the Quest Advanced Rocketry kits as they are a quality product, will fly on the Quest D8/E12/F12 motors (When available) and were designed by my friend Scott Branche/Rokitflite. :)

Bob

LeeR
03-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Don't forget that our shipping cost is much lower than Quest's -- spend just a few dollars more and shipping is free.

Unfortunately, the box makes the price we have to charge for the High-Q a little higher. It makes the kit a little heaver and makes packing it, especially when shipped with other kits, more difficult.

-- Roger
jonrocket.com

Roger,

Sorry, I inadvertently slammed you in referring to Quest kit pricing, and that was not my intent! I understand that while many of us like boxed kits, that does present challenges to shipping items easily and cheaply.

I do appreciate that your price for the Semroc Orion is less than getting it direct from Semroc, and that you have a very attractive offer for free shipping. I have not ordered anything from jonrocket,com in awhile, and probably not since you acquired the company. But I will order from you once I get my inventory down just a bit and am ready to stock back up again.

LeeR
03-30-2010, 11:42 PM
You'll be missing out on some very fine models.

I intend to buy and fly all of the Quest Advanced Rocketry kits as they are a quality product, will fly on the Quest D8/E12/F12 motors (When available) and were designed by my friend Scott Branche/Rokitflite. :)

Bob

Excellent reason to buy them, and show support for Scott. I am not upset about the pricing, maybe more disappointed. But ... I did mention I plan to buy quite a few of the cool new kits for 18mm motors, and of course, anxiously await the new line of D/E/F motors. I'll just be using them in scratch-builts. (I'll support Scott by buying an Odyssey - I did get the Fake-Wulf from him last year. An excellent product, slick documentation, nice attention to detail in packaging, etc.)

jadebox
03-31-2010, 08:41 AM
Roger,

Sorry, I inadvertently slammed you in referring to Quest kit pricing, and that was not my intent.

Oh, I didn't take it as a slam. And, I really appreciated the earlier plug. :-)

Thanks.

-- Roger

ghrocketman
03-31-2010, 10:19 AM
I cant remember the name of it, but I'm going to purchase the Large Quest kit with the pods at the bottom. I'm not a huge fan of 3FNC rockets so I need something a little more to stir my interest if it is not a clone. That one fits the bill.
Now if they would just come out with those E and F motors (along with a price similar to a aerotech RELOAD as they are NOT full impulse E and F engines) sometime within 3 freakin years of their announcement. Seems like Aerotech comes out with at least a half a dozen motors EACH year. NOT that hard to get certified. We are lucky to get ONE new useful (no, I dont find a D5-anything useful as it lifts almost nothing) black-powder motor from ALL the manufacturers combined. If they would have produced them HERE we most likely would already have them. I know there is red tape involved in getting motors into the country and certified, but I'm beginning to think these could be vaporware just like the original Enerjet D21 was, along with the "coming soon" for FIVE YEARS 18mm Quest D was that never materialized. If you announce a product, customers EXPECT said product in a REASONABLE (such as no more than 6 MONTHS) time after it's announcement. Otherwise it tarnishes one's reputation and IRRITATES the customer base.