PDA

View Full Version : Estes Gobin 3D Bash

blindeye2
06-18-2010, 04:03 AM
I built this 3D version of the Estes Goblin back in the 1971-72 time period. I had been working summers and had placed a large order with Estes when the D engines were newly available. With the order came several Goblins as bonus kits. I do remember that after several CATO's tying to fly a standard Goblin I did not have a lot of faith in the D engines. Over the winter I bashed the remaining Goblin parts into the 3D Goblin. It never flew but did look impressive sitting on the shelf,

Bob

stefanj
06-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Darn. I thought we were going to get stereo pictures of the process of a Goblin bash.
http://home.comcast.net/~stefan_jones/stereo_rig_lo.JPG
I built a sturdy (I thought) 3 x D BT-55 model along these lines. It "kinked" a bit above the main motor mount. Also, the parachute tore off on ejection. . . 7 second delay wasn't enough.

I've since fiberglassed the body tube, but I'm still leery of flying it again.

ghrocketman
06-18-2010, 01:21 PM
You need to either get some long streamers for recovery instead of a chute, or do electronic deployment, or pick up some old-stock D11-9's from someone. A while (3-4 yrs) back, someone told me they had a whole case of those that they were willing to sell. Cannot for the life of me remember who though.

CPMcGraw
06-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Bob,

Nice bash! Looks like it would be very impressive on the field.

I couldn't help but play around with the design a bit, and found something interesting. If you change the fins on the central core back to the "standard" four-fin cruciform, and eliminate the fins on the pods, the simulations seem to work out better.

I ran at least 10 different combinations of engines, and got reasonably good numbers from 9 of them. See the attachment images below. Surprisingly, they all seem to be able to get in the air safely on a standard 36" x 1/8" rod, but some of those are right to the end of the rod.