PDA

View Full Version : Original Centuri Scale Mercury Redstone

dwmzmm
03-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Started working yesterday on my Centuri scaled Mercury Redstone kit. Sure love those
ejection baffles some of the kits from those days came with (my Centuri Nike Smoke STILL
uses the old baffle it got in 1970; the model itself is quite worn and will recieve a "new" body
tube and set of fins in the near future. The NS nosecone is in great shape and looks like it'll
last forever.).

Leo
03-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Not another thread where one has to beg for pics! :rolleyes:

:D ;)

Leo
03-11-2006, 03:43 AM
Ok, then I'll start :D

http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/rockets/mercuryredstone.jpg

The real thing or just a Leo fake? ;)

http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/rockets/mercuryredstone_2_pic.jpg

The ejection baffle is a real nice feature however I would still use some recovery wading just to be on the safe side.

dwmzmm
03-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Wow, Leo, great pics on an excellent and well done Mercury Redstone!! BTW, what did you
use for the 1/8" black band just above the fins? I'm surprised the decal sheet has nothing
for this pattern. Did you paint yours or use some spare decals?

I'm now working on the filleting of the fins before I start the sanding & sealing part. One other question: My MR kit also came with one of those coin sized lead (nose) weight and a
dowel about 1/16"x3"; there's nothing in the instructions to indicate what they're for. Can
anyone answer for me?!

Keep up the great work!

Leo
03-11-2006, 12:47 PM
http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/rockets/mercuryredstone_3_pic.jpg

I had a black decal sheet and cut strips from it.

The model was built 20 years ago and I can't remember if a weight came with it.
I don't have any weights in the nose cone and the rocket has had a couple of flights with out any incidence's. However I think adding the weight wouldn't hurt any.

I could check the unopened kits I have if there is a lead weight somewhere but I first would have to find the kits first :rolleyes:

dwmzmm
03-11-2006, 03:55 PM
The job you did on the fin can is better than mine; I think the balsa fin stock in my kit, since
it has been "in-the-bag" for some 25+ years, became hardened and I had difficulty trying to
sand the fin pieces to the true wedge shape the instructions called for. Mine has some of the wedge form, but not like yours. Well, we'll see when all is done shortly.

SEL
03-11-2006, 05:50 PM
The job you did on the fin can is better than mine; I think the balsa fin stock in my kit, since
it has been "in-the-bag" for some 25+ years, became hardened and I had difficulty trying to
sand the fin pieces to the true wedge shape the instructions called for. Mine has some of the wedge form, but not like yours. Well, we'll see when all is done shortly.

Yeah, REALLY nice work on the fins. Did you use the balsa the kit came with, or swap it out for basswood. I have the re-issued Estes version of the Centuri kit that I'm thinkig about building. Since everyone else is at NARCON, why don't you give us some tips before they come back ;)

Sean

Leo
03-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks guys :)

You asked a good question as I belong to those very few? that build the kits exactly to the manufacturers instructions and use the parts that come with the kit. So yes, the fins were built with kit parts only.

It also means I never fill the spirals as many here do as the instructions don't call for that.
I know it's dumb but thats me :rolleyes:

There is one exception however:
Most of the scale kits I've buildt or build are without launch lugs. Instead I use a clear plastic wrap with the launch lug attached to it so it's easily removed from the rocket.

dwmzmm
03-18-2006, 02:53 PM
I can see why Centuri didn't include the 1/8" black band just above the fins decal; take a look
at this pic taken by my good friend, Warren Benson, of the Mercury Redstone on display at the JSC Rocket Park and you'll see why:

http://www.nasarocketclub.com/gallery/album27/100_4074?full=1

Me and my family were at Space Center Houston last weekend and I did have the chance to
look at this up close and can verify. For my MR, I may just try to figure a way to draw a thin
line instead of using a decal. Started to spray paint the main body section this morning, but
backed out due to being too windy outside. Good thing, as I'd just remember that I forgot to
install the main plugs near the base of the model! Will talk to you all later...

kurtschachner
03-21-2006, 07:17 PM
I can see why Centuri didn't include the 1/8" black band just above the fins decal; take a look
at this pic taken by my good friend, Warren Benson, of the Mercury Redstone on display at the JSC Rocket Park and you'll see why:

http://www.nasarocketclub.com/gallery/album27/100_4074?full=1

I am confused, that photo does show the band? Sorry, I jumped into this in the middle I think.

I did not put the band on my Centuri clone as my fins were not all the same exact height. That made the band be too high on some fins and too low on others. The difference isn't much more than a 1/32" but it is noticable.

Sometimes I draw a line on the body tube to show where the point of the fin should rest when that is important, but I forgot on this one and just butted the bottom edges up against the rear of the tube.

tbzep
03-21-2006, 07:42 PM
I am confused, that photo does show the band? Sorry, I jumped into this in the middle I think.

The black band in the model represents the gap that seperates teh fin can from the main body of the Redstone.

kurtschachner
03-21-2006, 08:03 PM
The black band in the model represents the gap that seperates the fin can from the main body of the Redstone.

Oh yeah, I see it now! I looked at that photo and saw a black band. Guess I was letting the 35 years of staring at the catalogs color my vision :p

So now I am OK with no black band. I feel better...

tbzep
03-21-2006, 08:20 PM
So now I am OK with no black band. I feel better...

Yes, but now you have to saw your Mercury Redstone in half at the top of the fin can, for scale purposes, of course. :D

dwmzmm
03-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Yes, but now you have to saw your Mercury Redstone in half at the top of the fin can, for scale purposes, of course. :D

John Pursley's superbly built 1/12 Mercury Redstone DOES have a scale gap at that point, as
well (the fin can separates from the main bodytube, held together with tiny screws). His model also has all of the bolts, rivets, etc., anything and everything someone with a keen
attention to scale and detail would include.

dwmzmm
03-31-2006, 09:13 AM
Look's like the completion of this model will take a bit longer; started to apply the decals
last night and the first two attempts failed. After a few seconds in the water, each decal
quickly cracked and somewhat dissolved. The glossy coating on the original MR7 decal
sheet looks good, but I guess the age of the kit caught up with it (strange, the original decals
of the recently built Centuri vintage Saturn - V, Estes vintage Patriot, and Maxi STAR WARS
X-Wing worked ok).

Will check and place an order with Tango Papa for new decals to complete what's been started.

Leo
03-31-2006, 11:54 AM
That's a shame :(

Good luck.

dwmzmm
04-01-2006, 04:39 PM
That's a shame :(

Good luck.

No problem. While waiting for the decals to arrive from Tango Papa, I can go ahead and start
working on my clone of the Centuri V-2 model now that I have the balsa nosecone and tailcone from BMS. At least, this is one model where decals aren't needed...

dwmzmm
05-06-2006, 01:06 PM
The Mercury Redstone decals from Tango Papa Decals arrived a few days ago, and today
I got the model completed. The Challenger 498 model rocket club has a club launch set for
tomorrow at Rushing Park, Katy, TX , and I should be able to get a test flight of
the MR7 on a C6-3. Plan on taking plenty of pics (also the Centuri clone V-2, discussed
elsewhere here, will get a test flight too).

Assuming we get good weather, wish me luck.

BTW, the quality and service from Tango Papa Decals is excellent!!

dwmzmm
05-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Flew the Mercury Redstone today at Rushing Park, Katy, TX on a C6-3. Nice liftoff, but after
burnout the model tended to wobble a bit (my old Estes vintage MR does the same sometimes). Both parachutes ejected ok, but for some reason the main 18" chute for the
body section failed to open. One fin tab was broken loose & damaged on landing (easily
repairable). The Mercury capsule drifted a bit on a 12" chute for a soft touchdown. Also
flew the clone Centuri scale V-2 and Estes Blue Ninja. Took a lot of pics and hope to have them posted by mid-week.

dwmzmm
05-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Here's the pics of this model's first flight at Rushing Park, Katy, TX Challenger 498 club launch. Each pic has its own captions:

http://www.challenger498.org/gallery/album25/FH000017

http://www.challenger498.org/gallery/album25/FH000018

http://www.challenger498.org/gallery/album25/FH000019

http://www.challenger498.org/gallery/album25/FH000020