marslndr
03-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Same here, both shiped yesterday! :)

sandman
03-16-2006, 01:05 PM
hehe...I have Mars lander #6 and I think #24 headed towards my house. :D :D :D

ghrocketman
03-16-2006, 06:10 PM
I received Mars Lander #7 and X-21 #15 yesterday !

tbzep
03-16-2006, 09:25 PM
I got mine today. It's number 74. Hopefully that number will rise significantly. :)

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-16-2006, 09:47 PM
I got mine today. It's number 74. Hopefully that number will rise significantly. :)

A very good chance of that. The story at NARCON was that they brought 50 kits and were worried about them all being gone on the first day. I didn't know they were only bringing 50, but I still made the Semroc booth my first stop. I wasn't taking any chances.

marslndr
03-16-2006, 09:57 PM
That brings up two questions.

How many sales are needed to break even?

and more importantly how many sales will get Estes lawyers attention?

Tau Zero
03-16-2006, 11:13 PM

How many sales are needed to break even?As many as possible. :eek: ;) :cool:

and more importantly how many sales will get Estes lawyers attention? I asked Carl about that scenario, and he said he's keeping track of numbers *and* sending Estes royalty checks.

--Jay

UMRS
03-16-2006, 11:15 PM

and more importantly how many sales will get Estes lawyers attention?

To answer question #2: How many doesnt matter my understanding is Carl has carte blance on remaking kits as long as Estes isnt manufacturing them currently.

Cant answer question #1: But i'm sure only Semroc could answer that one. And I bet there no going to ;)

Tau Zero
03-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Cant answer question #1: But i'm sure only Semroc could answer that one. And I bet there no going to ;)On the other hand, marslndr, I'm sure Uncle Mike would be glad to sell you *several* once he gets them in stock. ;) :cool:

--Jay

UMRS
03-17-2006, 07:47 AM
On the other hand, marslndr, I'm sure Uncle Mike would be glad to sell you *several* once he gets them in stock. ;) :cool:

--Jay

Now that was a great answer to question #1 :D

John Dyer
03-17-2006, 04:59 PM
A very good chance of that. The story at NARCON was that they brought 50 kits and were worried about them all being gone on the first day. I didn't know they were only bringing 50, but I still made the Semroc booth my first stop. I wasn't taking any chances.

I picked one up first thing Saturday morning - got #55. Not that the number matters since I plan to build the model ;)

I suspect demand was quite a bit higher than Carl expected. I was glad to see that they did a lot of business both days.
John

stefanj
03-17-2006, 06:02 PM
The Mars Lander is an cultural icon for geeks of a certain age.

I'm debating submitting Carl's re-release to Boing - Boing. One of the editors (who is also the editor of MAKE) was a rocket geek in high school. Not active now, but he'd recognize it.

snaquin
03-17-2006, 06:43 PM
My Semroc KV-54 Mars Lander and my KV-11JTP Hustler Just The Parts Shipped Yesterday. I was flipping through some old pictures and I found one from 1979 of my original Estes Mars Lander. It was a few years old when I took this picture and it could have used a few more silver paint details here and there but I was real proud of it at the time.

I have a question for any forum members that have ever built the Mars Lander. A buddy of mine used an ink pen to fill in the little hatches and details on the embossed shrouds. Anyone else ever try this? His looked better at a distance than mine because of this but I was afraid to "color out of the lines" on mine. Any method to getting those details to stand out or just leave well enough alone? What are your opinions?

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-17-2006, 07:41 PM
I picked one up first thing Saturday morning - got #55. Not that the number matters since I plan to build the model ;)

John

I think mine is 54. I think they keep the first five or six kits back, so it's possible that you have the last or second last that they trucked to Wisconsin. :cool:

ghrocketman
03-17-2006, 07:55 PM
I used an ink pen on one of my original Mars Landers to color in the lines just like Estes used to show the model in the catalog. It takes a steady hand and LOTS of patience !

PaulK
03-17-2006, 11:01 PM

Semroc was very busy the first nite. I picked up mine then, #61. Being the honest (naive?) fellow I am, I told Bruce the # doesn't matter since I'll build it anyhow. By Saturday afternoon, they were down to their last kit.

-Paul

dwmzmm
03-18-2006, 01:27 PM
From the comments and pics I'm seeing of SEMROC's Mars Lander, it looks like I'll have an
excuse to retire my old Estes Mars Lander from flight status after 35+ years and keep it for
display purposes.

Thanks, Carl, for keeping the dreams of us "oldies" alive with kits that reminds us of the good old days.

ghrocketman
03-18-2006, 01:42 PM
With Carl and the Semroc Gang around, these ARE the "Good Old Days" !

Carl@Semroc
05-25-2006, 09:49 PM

When we find out, we will let everyone know!

Green Dragon
05-25-2006, 10:31 PM
My Semroc KV-54 Mars Lander and my KV-11JTP Hustler Just The Parts Shipped Yesterday. I was flipping through some old pictures and I found one from 1979 of my original Estes Mars Lander. It was a few years old when I took this picture and it could have used a few more silver paint details here and there but I was real proud of it at the time.

I have a question for any forum members that have ever built the Mars Lander. A buddy of mine used an ink pen to fill in the little hatches and details on the embossed shrouds. Anyone else ever try this? His looked better at a distance than mine because of this but I was afraid to "color out of the lines" on mine. Any method to getting those details to stand out or just leave well enough alone? What are your opinions?

I used a pen / sharpie to draw in all the hatches,etc on mine, looked good, but then when clearcoated some bled slightly, but still looked ok.
model is gone ( sold the builtup one a while back, for more than Carls kit, actually, lol ), time to build a new one I guess :-)

~ AL

JRThro
05-26-2006, 08:11 AM

Wow, and a cool Steve Naquin signature launch pad, too!
:)