PDA

View Full Version : saturn v

motley16
08-02-2010, 07:36 AM
The word that i just got is that the saturn v is due to hit the street on 8/18/10. So save up now. I also have been told something big is due out shortly after the saturn v.

GregGleason
08-02-2010, 10:00 AM
The word that i just got is that the saturn v is due to hit the street on 8/18/10. So save up now. I also have been told something big is due out shortly after the saturn v.

Does this mean that you know what it is or that you were told that it is "something big"?

Hmmm ... what could be "big" in the mind of Estes?

Saturn 1B? Maxi-Brutes? Centuri Little Joe II?

This sounds intriguing ...

Greg

STRMan
08-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Maybe a shuttle that glides back?

be69ar
08-02-2010, 11:20 AM

...I'm not sure where you got your info, but the final pack out of the 2157 isn't likely until mid to late August, then to distribution within 2 weeks after that. As for something big shortly after the SV...not true. We have plans to fill in the Skill Level 4 and 5 categories, but that work is underway and not likely to be released until late 2011 or early in 2012.
...by the way, NARAM 52 was very active over the weekend...thanks to all that stopped by our tent and said Hi and offered words of encouragement. Mike Dorffler and Vern Estes were in the booth together for about an hour and a half...so many stopped by to say hi...it was quite crowded for a while.
Mike

GregGleason
08-02-2010, 12:03 PM
... Mike Dorffler and Vern Estes were in the booth together for about an hour and a half...

Oh, my. I wish I had been there. A lot of rocket history was in that booth.

Greg

ghrocketman
08-02-2010, 02:03 PM
I sure hope that 1/45 scale LJ II isd one of the ones in SL 4 or SL 5 to come out later this year; that would be AWESOME.
The 1/45 LJ II has been one of very few collectible kits I really wanted but was unable to ever find for a price even close to what I was willing to spend.
Most have went for over double my price threshold.

LeeR
08-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Got my Saturn V in my basement right now. A bit of my post from the "Valley of the Giants":

[...]
I also bought one of the Saturn V NARAM editions. Got kit #13/50. I was also very honored to meet Mike Dorffler, and he signed the Saturn V box. We talked for a bit, I asked him if he would mind if I took his picture, and one of the Estes employees asked for my camera, invited me into the booth, and we had our picture taken together.
[...]

I missed seeing Vern and Gleda Estes, but did meet Bill Simon, who was at the Semroc booth, giving out autographed commemorative edition Sky Hook kits that Semroc brought to NARAM. And I was very happy to finally meet Carl and Sheryl of Semroc.

Wish I could have been there for more than one day, but thankful I drove down with a friend, and truly sorry for all who wanted to attend, but just could not make the trip.

scigs30
08-13-2010, 06:59 PM
My Saturn V shipped out today......Yea :D

UCBadger
08-13-2010, 10:41 PM
My Saturn V shipped out today......Yea :DFrom who?

IanCurtis
08-13-2010, 10:56 PM
I put in an order from AC Supply a couple weeks ago. This morning they sent me an email indicating that it was mailed today.

tbzep
08-14-2010, 12:37 AM
I got my tracking number from AC Supply also. :cool:

pantherjon
08-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Me three! ;)

Tracking shows projected delivery of 8/17..:)

motley16
08-14-2010, 08:51 AM
My word is gold. This is the start of big things get yours today boys and just see what is around the corner................ :)

jetlag
08-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Me Four! (Actually, just two)! Woo Hoo!

Robobud
08-14-2010, 02:04 PM
The Saturn V is on the main page saying "ORDER YOURS TODAY!", and when you click on it, it says "in stock" I went as far as putting one in my cart... :D

ghrocketman
08-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Why would you order it direct from Estes for $99 when several hobby sites have it from between $63 and $75 ????

jeffyjeep
08-16-2010, 09:16 AM
I ordered mine from AC Supply. Free shipping for orders over $100, so I HAD to buy two. Had to.

jeffyjeep
08-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Has anyone looked inside the box yet? Are wraps paper or vacu-formed plastic?

ghrocketman
08-16-2010, 11:32 AM
They are plastic wraps, same as the last run of Saturn V's from Estes and virtually identical to the old Centuri kit. I'm going to set mine up for single 29mm. Anything less is NOT enough.

foose4string
08-16-2010, 12:13 PM
They are plastic wraps, same as the last run of Saturn V's from Estes and virtually identical to the old Centuri kit. I'm going to set mine up for single 29mm. Anything less is NOT enough.

Says you. :D

There are several 24mm AT loads that are more than able. Most of the BP cluster mods I have seen for this thing are VERY impressive as well. Central D12 surrounded by 4-18mm with the F1 nozzles attached is the way to go IMO.

BEC
08-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Has anyone looked inside the box yet? Are wraps paper or vacu-formed plastic?

As GH noted, they're vacuum formed plastic. I've not seen the prior kits so I can't address that aspect. I can say that a quick scan of the instructions left me both with a sense that it's well documented and that it's going to be a big project and one that deserves taking time and care.

I'm currently trying to decide whether to just fit it out for a 24x70 motor as called for but plan on flying it mainly on Aerotech Es or maybe go something larger. I think as impressive as clustering would be that I'll probably stay with some kind of single engine arrangement. Perhaps set it up for 24x95mm so it could use SU Fs and 24/60 RMS. I have some of those new 24mm motor retainer sets from Rocketarium. This might be the place to use one.

To those who have modded these in the past for larger single motors or clusters: what, if anything, did you have to do to assure stability (nose weight, change the fins, etc.)?

tbzep
08-17-2010, 03:32 PM
I have my Saturn V from AC Supply in hand. :cool: :D

Robobud
08-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Mine just showed up as well!

JStarStar
08-17-2010, 08:18 PM
To those who have modded these in the past for larger single motors or clusters: what, if anything, did you have to do to assure stability (nose weight, change the fins, etc.)?

I have the original Centuri Saturn V, off which the Estes kit was (mainly) based, and when I built it in 1994 I installed a single 24 x 95 mount (made with balsa gussets and epoxied into the original mount).

I haven't flown it a few years, but I did have to put in some extra nose weight to make sure the CG stayed ahead of the CP. As you know the Saturn V is only marginally stable to start out with. Some Sat V versions (the original Estes version from the 1970s) have larger fins to move the CP back, but I think the current version has scale-sized fins.

The stock kit came with a lump of clay for the Apollo CM nose cone; I epoxied in about 6-8 quarters for some extra weight up front PLUS used clay. Jam-packed with quarters and clay, that CM is one chunky little piece of plastic.

jeffyjeep
08-17-2010, 08:28 PM
The stock kit came with a lump of clay for the Apollo CM nose cone; I epoxied in about 6-8 quarters for some extra weight up front PLUS used clay. Jam-packed with quarters and clay, that CM is one chunky little piece of plastic.
Yeah. I bet it weighs a Washing-ton! :D

jeffyjeep
08-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Mine just showed up as well!
Mine too! My wife asked me, "Why do you need two more Saturn V kits? Don't you have enough rocket kits already?"

The bi--- is crazy.

bguff
08-17-2010, 08:35 PM
As GH noted, they're vacuum formed plastic. I've not seen the prior kits so I can't address that aspect. I can say that a quick scan of the instructions left me both with a sense that it's well documented and that it's going to be a big project and one that deserves taking time and care.

I'm currently trying to decide whether to just fit it out for a 24x70 motor as called for but plan on flying it mainly on Aerotech Es or maybe go something larger. I think as impressive as clustering would be that I'll probably stay with some kind of single engine arrangement. Perhaps set it up for 24x95mm so it could use SU Fs and 24/60 RMS. I have some of those new 24mm motor retainer sets from Rocketarium. This might be the place to use one.

I've flown my 1/70 scale Semroc Saturn 1B twice on a cluster of 4xEstes E9 motors. I used stock sized fins, and added nose weight. Of course the 1B fins are larger, and there are more fins. Flew straight up both times.

Bob

jeffyjeep
08-17-2010, 08:39 PM
How high did it go on (4) E9's? Any idea?

bguff
08-17-2010, 09:04 PM
How high did it go on (4) E9's? Any idea?

About 1200'. Details:
http://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=42059
Keep in mind, a cluster of 4 or more E9's, does make the launch a high power launch.

Bob

UCBadger
08-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Has anybody seen a Saturn V kit in a walk-up store or hobby shop yet?

jeffyjeep
08-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Yes, Hobbytown USA in Wichita, KS has two kits. ($95 each)

ghrocketman
08-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Agree that the RMS24 has many loads more than adequate for the Estes Saturn V, but why limit one to 24mm when there are SO MANY more single-use and RMS offerings in 29mm ?
One could fly it on a H128 or H97 if built properly, as mine will be. Just ordered my Commonwealth upgrade kit, along with G76G and G64W motors for it. May actually fly it on an H97 if the G's go well.

For stability, I fill the command module with a mixture of lead shot and epoxy.

UCBadger
08-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Amazon.com is taking orders with shipping starting on Sept 1. ($80.54 with free (but slow) shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/Estes-2157-Saturn-Flying-Rocket/dp/B003ODIF34/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1282849759&sr=8-2

foose4string
08-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Amazon.com is taking orders with shipping starting on Sept 1. ($80.54 with free (but slow) shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/Estes-2157-Saturn-Flying-Rocket/dp/B003ODIF34/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1282849759&sr=8-2

Why wait and pay extra? Several places already have them and for less.

Several have mentioned getting theirs from AC Supply. They are $67 there with free shipping on $100.

http://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/estes_rockets2004fallnew.htm

and Belleville Hobby(who also carries Quest) has them for $59.99 with free shipping on $100 which wouldn't hard to do considering all the new Estes and Quest kits on tap.

http://estesrocketswholesale.com/index.php/estes-rockets/saturn-v.html

Even if you don't meet the minimum for free shipping, paying 10-12 bucks to ship from either place is still cheaper than Amazon.

Bill
08-26-2010, 03:10 PM
and Belleville Hobby(who also carries Quest) has them for $59.99 with free shipping on $100 which wouldn't hard to do considering all the new Estes and Quest kits on tap.

Wow, that even beats a 40% off coupon if Hobby Lobby ever decides to carry them.

Bill

UCBadger
08-26-2010, 05:29 PM

http://estesrocketswholesale.com/index.php/estes-rockets/saturn-v.html

Even if you don't meet the minimum for free shipping, paying 10-12 bucks to ship from either place is still cheaper than Amazon. :eek: WOW :eek: Those are LOW PRICES! :chuckle:

LeeR
08-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Agree that the RMS24 has many loads more than adequate for the Estes Saturn V, but why limit one to 24mm when there are SO MANY more single-use and RMS offerings in 29mm ?
One could fly it on a H128 or H97 if built properly, as mine will be. Just ordered my Commonwealth upgrade kit, along with G76G and G64W motors for it. May actually fly it on an H97 if the G's go well.

For stability, I fill the command module with a mixture of lead shot and epoxy.

I think a lot of the reluctance to putting huge motors in Saturns is that a lot of us want the flight to be as realistic as possible. While we won't be able to have liftoffs that take 10+ seconds to clear the pad, we want something less than a neck snapping flight of something like a minimum diameter competition rocket, or even an Estes Mosquito!

Give me that "Big Bertha" style of flight for my Saturns. :)

sandman
08-29-2010, 08:57 AM
Has anybody tried to fit 5 Quest 20mm D8 motors into a Saturn V?

the mole
08-29-2010, 09:58 AM
How much wieght in ounces can one of Quest D motors lift?

Initiator001
08-29-2010, 10:46 AM
How much wieght in ounces can one of Quest D motors lift?

The Quest D5-4 motor has a maximum lift weight of 5.0 oz.

Bob

sandman
08-29-2010, 12:41 PM
The Quest D5-4 motor has a maximum lift weight of 5.0 oz.

Bob

I was thinking of a cluster of 5 of them!

bguff
08-29-2010, 07:16 PM
I was thinking of a cluster of 5 of them!

My Semroc Saturn 1B weighed in at 23 ounces prior to insertion of 4xEstes E9 motors. I got 1,200 feet on that. (http://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=42059)

Plugging 5xQuest D5's into that simulation, results in 800' apogee. Optimal delay at 4.67 seconds.

According to Quest website, each D5-4 contains 24 grams of propellant. 5 motors times 24 grams of propellant per motor = 120 grams of propellant. It stays a class 1 rocket, and no need for waiver.
Leaves a 5' rail at 28 mph.

Not sure how much different the Sat V is from Sat 1B, but at first glance it looks possible.

Bob

sandman
08-29-2010, 07:54 PM
I was thinking how much cooler a flight would be with the long burn motors.

UCBadger
09-20-2010, 07:25 PM
I see, looking at old Estes catalogs on Ninfinger Productions site, that the last time the Saturn V with the dual power option ( kit 1236) was listed was 1985. In 1989 a new version (kit 2001) is listed. This new version has just D power and larger fins so that the clear fin extensions are not needed. I assume that the new fins are only good on the (I again assume) lighter D engine mount. It is also noted the the "internal structure has been redone to ease assembly and assure safer and more realistic recoveries."

I assume that the original plans/instructions are available and that the new Saturn V could be modified to use the dual power feature. Can anyone tell me if this would just require additional nose weight to balance the heavier clustered motors?

Royatl
09-21-2010, 02:55 AM
I see, looking at old Estes catalogs on Ninfinger Productions site, that the last time the Saturn V with the dual power option ( kit 1236) was listed was 1985. In 1989 a new version (kit 2001) is listed. This new version has just D power and larger fins so that the clear fin extensions are not needed. I assume that the new fins are only good on the (I again assume) lighter D engine mount. It is also noted the the "internal structure has been redone to ease assembly and assure safer and more realistic recoveries."

I assume that the original plans/instructions are available and that the new Saturn V could be modified to use the dual power feature. Can anyone tell me if this would just require additional nose weight to balance the heavier clustered motors?

The #2001 kit was designed by Keith Niskern, who designed the original Centuri Saturn V. The main difference internally between the two is the Centuri used a 1.64" stuffer tube instead of the current 0.976" tube, and used four 1/8" and one 3/16" balsa centering rings instead of three thin cardboard ones. The bigger stuffer tube accomodated the three-18mm engine mount. There were published conversions allowing the Centuri kits to use the Estes Convertable mount, but I don't know anyone who did. The most popular conversion around here was for either FSI F100 motors or Enerjet motors.

You'll find the original Estes K-36 kit instructions here http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/k-36.htm

The Estes #2001 kit is here:
http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est2001.htm

And the original Centuri instructions here:
http://www.oldrocketplans.com/centuri/cenKS-12/cenKS-12.htm

John Brohm
09-21-2010, 11:55 AM

You'll find the original Estes K-36 kit instructions here http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/k-36.htm

The Estes #2001 kit is here:
http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est2001.htm

And the original Centuri instructions here:
http://www.oldrocketplans.com/centuri/cenKS-12/cenKS-12.htm

And one will find that the photo artwork on the box top for the old #2157 is actually a shot of the older #2001, while the box top photo artwork on the new #2157 is actually of the #2157 version.

Jeff Walther
09-21-2010, 05:42 PM

It could be done, but not in the exact manner used in the K-36 model. The BT-63 tube (Inner Diameter ~= BT-60 Outer Diameter) is not available anywhere, unless Semroc has added it in the six months since I last checked.

Still, that's not a show stopper. There are other ways of creating a versatile motor mount. I think Doug has some nice examples in one of the threads here.

Doug Sams
09-21-2010, 06:07 PM
It could be done, but not in the exact manner used in the K-36 model. The BT-63 tube (Inner Diameter ~= BT-60 Outer Diameter) is not available anywhere, unless Semroc has added it in the six months since I last checked.

Still, that's not a show stopper. There are other ways of creating a versatile motor mount. I think Doug has some nice examples in one of the threads here.I agree, it's not a show stopper. The original BT-60 OD mount dictated the special mating BT-63 stuffer. But a 3x18mm mount can be made that fits into ordinary BT-60 (and seals up well). It does not use rings per se, but uses sections of rings - sort of pie shaped - that seal the gaps between the motor tubes.

I'm not sure of all who offer them, but there are several vendors. I made my own using a cad program and some homemade balsa plywood.

The key is that the old BT-60 OD version seemed kewl to look at with its BT-60 outer tube making for a clean appearance, but it was an engineering exercise that was impractical from a materials handling (inventory management) perspective. At least it is today, given the availability of precision laser cut parts :)

Here's my interchangeable system that allows several combos including 29mm power if desired.

http://www.doug79.com/BT60mms/

All that said, if I ever get around to building my #2001 kit, I plan to use a 5-motor cluster. And that means several changes in the bottom end along with compensating extra ballast up top. But I'm much more enamored with getting the more authentic liftoff pic than with the nostalgia of the #1236 kit. In fact, that's the conversion kit I'd like to see offered.

Doug