PDA

View Full Version : Mythbusters kit in Michael's

Jerry Irvine
08-10-2010, 12:38 PM
A Mythbusters activity kit was spotted in Michael's yesterday which included a rocket. It was not in the rocket section. It was about $13 shelf price. So you kit collectors, keep an eye out, there is a new one in town.

Jerry

jadebox
08-10-2010, 12:58 PM
The Mythbusters Weird World of Water Exploration Kit helps kids make and fly a water rocket. The Mythbusters Forces of Flight Science Exploration Kit includes parts and instructions for making a vinegar and baking soda-powered rocket car.

The kits are rather basic and include only three "experiments" each. But, the experiments are well-designed and the instructions are good. For kids that are Mythbusters fans, they are probably a good way to encourage them to "do this at home." For other kids, it would make more sense to pick up a book about doing simple experiments with household items.

-- Roger

STRMan
08-10-2010, 02:27 PM
After seeing that clip about Jamie going off on his assistant for not having his pencils "just so", I've sworn off the show. What a complete A-hole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6hLofnr20

o1d_dude
08-10-2010, 02:33 PM
I saw three(?) different Mythbusters kits at one of the local HobbyTowns this past weekend.

Definitely caught my eye.

I was looking for reload kits but my store had only the 18/20 kits left. The owner said he'd restock in the fall when rocket season resumes. In Cali, the general rocketry season runs from October until about May due to grass fire risks.

soopirV
08-23-2010, 01:01 AM
After seeing that clip about Jamie going off on his assistant for not having his pencils "just so", I've sworn off the show. What a complete A-hole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6hLofnr20

I'm typically a fan of the show- often I'm at odds with their perception of the "Scientific Method" (in that they latch on to one hypothesis and fail to think or test beyond it), but overall I think it's a good junior introduction to the Method. To your point about this clip, yeah, it seems like he's on a major high-horse, and I'm glad the editor of the clip added some graphics (the bit about the paper towels had me laughing), but taken out of context we really can't surmise much about this. I'm sure hoping that this wasn't just a random clip, completely un-premeditated, and that it speaks to a disaster or near-miss that had just occured. In light of that hope, I think all us BAR can agree that without a well planned shop, disasters will happen- whether it's not having enough alcohol to clean up the epoxy or shelac mess, or not having a sharp pencil just when you've discovered the perfect angle for that transition section. Regardless, Mythbusters is on my list of "Kid friendly TV" simply because they try to encourage experimentation and show the bright side of failure. If retailers are stocking kits of any kind that capitalize on that juggernaut, I'm all for it. Hell, I'd give nearly anything to have Mr. Wizard back on the air every afternoon...or, perhaps better yet, replays of Mr. Wizard followed by Bill Nye (and then MacGyer!).

jetlag
08-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Jamie just has a bad case of OCD! C'mon, we all like to have our shops a certain way. Some are so neat as to make us jealous (at least ME!); some are so messy, one wonders how anything constructive could ever be located (mine).
I know where everything is, most of the time!
Nearly without fail, the personal assistant is whom I always blame; unfortunately, he is me!
Jamie is the kind a guy we always flip off as soon as his back is turned, with an added 'get over yourself.'
Allen

ghrocketman
08-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Would not get along with Jamie AT ALL. OCD with organization which is the total opposite of me and persons of that neat-freak AFFLICTION drive me insane. I actuallly like and embrace MAYHEM !!!!
Jamie appears to be a genuine Douchebagicus Supremicus mamby-pamby.
My guess is Adam is NOTHING like that.