PDA

View Full Version : Estes Interceptor?

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-04-2006, 08:12 PM
In my continuing quest to rid myself of backlogged projects, I'm going to finish the Interceptor that I started back in the 2002-03 era. I've got a Moldin' Oldies cone set all ready to go, and the basswood fins have been in a folder seemingly forever. The thing I've always wondered about was the attachment of the pods. Those of you who've tackled this project before, did you paint the pods before you installed them or after?

kurtschachner
04-04-2006, 10:30 PM
In my continuing quest to rid myself of backlogged projects, I'm going to finish the Interceptor that I started back in the 2002-03 era. I've got a Moldin' Oldies cone set all ready to go, and the basswood fins have been in a folder seemingly forever. The thing I've always wondered about was the attachment of the pods. Those of you who've tackled this project before, did you paint the pods before you installed them or after?

After. Use some 1/8" masking tape and it will work OK.

JRThro
04-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Does that mean you keep instructions and flat parts in folders until you need them? Sounds like a great idea!

Leo
04-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Building step pictures pictures pictures please :)

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Does that mean you keep instructions and flat parts in folders until you need them? Sounds like a great idea!

Yeah. Dumb luck. I used to cut a lot of parts out at work while I was babysitting a printer. Inter-office envelopes were the easiest way to keep everything from getting mixed together. I still have basswood fins cut out for probably 20 projects. :o

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Building step pictures pictures pictures please :)

Anything for you, Leo. ;) :D

PaulK
04-06-2006, 08:11 AM

No fair, I was going to build K50 clone next! :D When I built my first one 30 years ago, I painted everything after. No masking tape either :eek: This time, I'll glue, then mask & paint. Is epoxy the glue of choice for the pods?

-Paul

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-06-2006, 08:32 AM
No fair, I was going to build K50 clone next! :D When I built my first one 30 years ago, I painted everything after. No masking tape either :eek: This time, I'll glue, then mask & paint. Is epoxy the glue of choice for the pods?

-Paul

I don't think I have a choice. They're resin.

dtomko
04-22-2006, 11:33 PM
Painted the pods after epoxying them on, but I did mask them off before spraying the rest of the rocket white so I didn't build up more weight on them. After, I used thin strips of masking tape on the wing edges and regular masking tape and paper over everything before spraying the pods with Testor's orange. Decals are from Excelsior.
Drew

Leo
04-23-2006, 01:33 AM
Painted the pods after epoxying them on, but I did mask them off before spraying the rest of the rocket white so I didn't build up more weight on them. After, I used thin strips of masking tape on the wing edges and regular masking tape and paper over everything before spraying the pods with Testor's orange. Decals are from Excelsior.
Drew

That's a beautiful bird you built there Drew! :cool:

(I fixed up the picture a bit)
http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/forums/Clone_Interceptor_Drew.JPG

With special thanks to Mike at Moldin' Oldies I'll be building the same this summer. Can't wait :)