PDA

View Full Version : New Design - Heat 1X

Slickwilly
09-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Copenhagen Suborbitals manned project.

Enjoy!!

CPMcGraw
09-05-2010, 10:29 AM
I've been watching the news feeds to see if this first test flight ever gets off the ground. They keep pushing it back each time, and I haven't heard anything in the last day or so.

Looking at the photos of the prototype HEAT-1X, I think your scale of 1/3 might be a bit off...

The rocket is about 25" in diameter, so your model at ST-13/BT-55 size would only be about 1/20. BT-80 (2.6" diameter) would be just a tad larger than 1/10 scale (Deci-Scale). With a length of about 10m (39.37'), then a total length of 39 3/8" would be close. That would be a good size for a model.

Here's a link to some development photos. (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3271649)

There is also a nice drawing showing various development versions, including a smaller test vehicle called HATV.

Nice choice!

CPMcGraw
09-06-2010, 12:03 AM
I read down through the messages at the posted link, and the last few pages are from Saturday/Sunday. The rocket did not launch due to a cascade of small, but important, items failing. The launch pad batteries failed to maintain sufficient power to a LOX valve heater (a blow dryer!) during the last few minutes of the attempt. This caused the LOX valve to freeze up and not open at the moment of ignition. The pyro valves did fire, however, and this put the rocket into a "scrubbed" condition.

A new launch date has not been set.

This is a project I think we should all keep our eyes on. Maybe a successful flight will put a boot up someone's wazoo over here and get a similar project started.