PDA

View Full Version : Shrox Icarus

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Well, being that I bought this in 2002, I'd say it's high time I finished it, eh? I finally got around to starting on the decals tonight. These might be the nicest decals I've ever worked with, even after 3.5+ years in a file. Come back, Shrox. We need you. :cool:

Sorry about the picture quality. I didn't get started until 9:00 because of a track meet. :rolleyes:

Chris_Timm
04-13-2006, 04:20 PM
I guess I should get back to working on the SHX-Rammstein I started on the field at NARAM.
I just primered it with the first coat of KILZ last week.

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-13-2006, 06:12 PM
I guess I should get back to working on the SHX-Rammstein I started on the field at NARAM.
I just primered it with the first coat of KILZ last week.

The NARAM just past? And you didn't stop by to say hello? ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-13-2006, 06:23 PM
I have no excuse for taking almost four years to finish this project except maybe that it intimidated me. Now it's officially finished, and even with my shakey building skills, it's a beauty. The decals were the best I ever worked with. Nothing else has even come close.

That said, the finished product. :D :cool: :eek:

James Pierson
04-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Very Nice Bill. I look forward to your launch report on this one. The next question is what to build next? :D

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-13-2006, 07:21 PM
It's already flown twice. I just needed finished pics to finish up the review.
Next? The SLS Laser X that Jay sent me. ;)

Chris_Timm
04-13-2006, 08:35 PM
The NARAM just past? And you didn't stop by to say hello? ;)

Dang! I must have missed the "FREE BEER!" sign on your door.
What room was that again?

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Dang! I must have missed the "FREE BEER!" sign on your door.
What room was that again?

The RSO tent. :D ;)
I was too busy working. I never got the chance to have an evening beer. (I never got the chance to see an evening. Too tired.)

Chris_Timm
04-13-2006, 08:51 PM
The RSO tent. :D ;)
.)

That explains it.
I flew SPORT all week.
No competition, although I did take video of both ranges.

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-13-2006, 09:42 PM
That explains it.
I flew SPORT all week.
No competition, although I did take video of both ranges.

What did you fly? I'm sure I checked in something of yours. I was there all day, every day, except when I could slip away for lunch.

sandman
04-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Bill, you saw Chris!

He was at the RSO tent almost...almost...as much as I was.

Chris_Timm
04-13-2006, 10:29 PM
What did you fly?

I flew my AIM-47A model several times from the HPR rail. (Its only an E9!)
Also tried the Smokey Sam a few times, with the last flight zooming into the prickly weeds just behind vendors row. Sandman found it looking for one of his models.
Also flew a LP Hawk (olive drab) with a 3x24mm cluster of D12's first flight and E9's after loading the nose with lots of clay. Flew straight up!
Carl was pushing the buttons for most of them, and Bill Spadafora was launching the others.
I also flew a boilerplate of an upscaled AIM-47 (BT-70 version) a few times too.

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Bill, you saw Chris!

He was at the RSO tent almost...almost...as much as I was.

Yes, but I didn't KNOW I was seeing him. I can tell because I'm not seeing him right now. :confused:

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Also tried the Smokey Sam a few times, with the last flight zooming into the prickly weeds just behind vendors row. Sandman found it looking for one of his models.

Now THIS I'd remember!

Tau Zero
04-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Well, being that I bought this in 2002, I'd say it's high time I finished it, eh? I finally got around to starting on the decals tonight. These might be the nicest decals I've ever worked with, even after 3.5+ years in a file. Come back, Shrox. We need you.So it looks like your Icarus will fly before mine will, after all. :rolleyes: :eek: ;) :cool: (Since I lost my Semroc Javelin on the C6-5 I was saving for my Icarus. :mad: )

I need to see about starting my Centuri Nova clone over, since the body tubes were casualties in the Great Basement Flood of 2005. :( :mad:

Then maybe I'll have the guts to finish my Shrox Icarus. (Note to self: "*No* silver paint!")

(That Andromeda's looking mighty good, Bill! :cool: )

Cheers,

--Jay

JRThro
04-26-2006, 11:04 AM
So it looks like your Icarus will fly before mine will, after all. :rolleyes: :eek: ;) :cool: (Since I lost my Semroc Javelin on the C6-5 I was saving for my Icarus. :mad: )

I need to see about starting my Centuri Nova clone over, since the body tubes were casualties in the Great Basement Flood of 2005. :( :mad:

Then maybe I'll have the guts to finish my Shrox Icarus. (Note to self: "*No* silver paint!")

(That Andromeda's looking mighty good, Bill! :cool: )

Cheers,

--Jay
Hey, Jay, do you have a Rokitflite Odyssey? That's a fun build and a really cool looking rocket, too, as I, Bill, and a lot of other guys can attest. For some reason, the Shrox Icarus reminds me of the Odyssey. I think it's the gray paint, long pointy nose, and engine tube(s).

Here's a thread:
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=325

Tau Zero
04-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Hey, Jay, do you have a Rokitflite Odyssey? That's a fun build and a really cool looking rocket, too, as I, Bill, and a lot of other guys can attest.No, I don't. Bill kept me posted on his "betatest" build. :cool: And besides the point that my cashflow was low when it came out, whenever I looked at it, I thought, "That's a cool design, but those body tubes look longer than I think they should." (Nothing against Rokitflite, it's just that my aesthetic sensibilities are different than his. ;) :D That's like when I looked at the Estes Hi-Flier and thought, "*That* body tube is too short!")

For some reason, the Shrox Icarus reminds me of the Odyssey. I think it's the gray paint, long pointy nose, and engine tube(s). Well, *see?* There ya go.

--Jay

JRThro
04-27-2006, 10:11 AM
No, I don't. Bill kept me posted on his "betatest" build. :cool: And besides the point that my cashflow was low when it came out, whenever I looked at it, I thought, "That's a cool design, but those body tubes look longer than I think they should." (Nothing against Rokitflite, it's just that my aesthetic sensibilities are different than his. ;) :D That's like when I looked at the Estes Hi-Flier and thought, "*That* body tube is too short!")

As long as the Odyssey is, I'm sure you could remove a few inches of body tube and still have a great-looking and great-flying rocket. I'll agree that it is pretty darned long and thin. Even so, the forward section of BT-50 is barely big enough for the 18" plastic parachute to fit. Is the BT-20 the part of the body that looks too long to you? I've flown mine 3 times (I think. I *know* it's flown at least twice.), and that big parachute brings it down nice and soft, so even with the long section of BT-20, there's no damage at all on landing.

I'm pretty sure Scott/Rokitflite still has some kits available, btw.

I know what you mean about different aesthetic sensibilities. Two years ago, I thought the Fat Boy was really ugly, too short and too fat, and I wouldn't even consider buying one. Now, I've had one for over a year and am looking for another one or two of them. And I think I've decided that most designs based on BT-50 or smaller tubes are too small. Like, the Holverson Designs Wicked Winnie kit (BT-60 tube, I think) that I bought at NARCON seems exactly the right size to me. Of course, I say that, but I also bought several kits with smaller tubes, like the Semroc Laser-X, so who knows?

(Sorry, I've had a lot of coffee this morning and seem to be typing just to see myself talk.)