PDA

View Full Version : Estes Vector Force

Bob Thomas
09-23-2010, 06:37 PM
I am just finishing up on the Estes Vector Force. I was pleasantly surprised that I could enjoy this build as I have not really had much experience with Estes kits for a few years. I was deeply disappointed in many of their releases or re-releases with inferior decals, plastic parts and too much marketing of the RTF kits.

I purchased this kit because the design was interesting including the decals. The quality of the balsa cone, transition and laser cut fins was very good and through the wall fin design a nice extra.

This kit was reminiscent of the builders kits of my youth and why I have almost exclusively built clones and offerings from our usual vendors like SEMROC and FLISKITS.

I am not sure if the design is a retread or new but it works for me. The suggested paint scheme doesn't appeal to me so I chose the attached. I would post an actual picture but thanks to new Krylon, I am sanding off some wrinkling of the final coat of white. I painted the rest with Testors Yellow and Rustoleum Grey but cheaped out and NOW I'm paying for it.

chrism
09-23-2010, 06:53 PM
I agree that the Vector Force is a nice looking kit. Can's wait to see what yours looks like.

nukemmcssret
09-27-2010, 09:13 PM
I am just finishing up on the Estes Vector Force. I was pleasantly surprised that I could enjoy this build as I have not really had much experience with Estes kits for a few years. I was deeply disappointed in many of their releases or re-releases with inferior decals, plastic parts and too much marketing of the RTF kits.

I purchased this kit because the design was interesting including the decals. The quality of the balsa cone, transition and laser cut fins was very good and through the wall fin design a nice extra.

This kit was reminiscent of the builders kits of my youth and why I have almost exclusively built clones and offerings from our usual vendors like SEMROC and FLISKITS.

I am not sure if the design is a retread or new but it works for me. The suggested paint scheme doesn't appeal to me so I chose the attached. I would post an actual picture but thanks to new Krylon, I am sanding off some wrinkling of the final coat of white. I painted the rest with Testors Yellow and Rustoleum Grey but cheaped out and NOW I'm paying for it.

I use Krlon and if you put on light coats and let each coat dry properly the paint works fine. Any paint will run and crinkle if you spray too much. I do like your colors. :) Cheers nukemmcssret