PDA

View Full Version : Springtime is here! LAUNCH EM!

Chris_Timm
04-16-2006, 06:54 PM
I noticed some rocket display things on ebay last week.
They were made out of cpvc plumbing fittings and painted black.
I contacted the person only because the listing said he was from my own hometown!
All I asked was where he/she flew their rockets in town.
Turns out, he's been flying off and on at different sites around town that I would not have thought of using.
We exchanged emails, and scheduled a Saturday launch at the location myself and a few others use.
So, from noon till 5 pm, a beautiful blue cloudless sky, tolerable temps (I wore just a T-shirt and a khaki long sleeve shirt and a bit of a breeze enveloped the 3 of us.
The grounds were a bit squishy in places but not so bad that your shoes got soaked.
Kinda like walking on wet carpet. I set up at the dryest spot I could find and still worked out with the prevailing wind and resultant drift direction.
I had my usual box-o-rockets of stuff I barely primed, and if I did, I barelt painted them, and if I did, I barely decaled them, and if they were primed painted and decaled---they were at least 20 years old! Most showed the signs of age, repairs, and general lack of pride in finishing.

First up was my Custom ION PULSAR thing on an A8-3 to get the recovery direction set.
Unprimed but slightly painted with paint markers!

Next up was my Patriot missile on a B6-4. Shoulda been a B6-2!
It did the parabolic trajectory, stuck the landing, then ejected.
No damage except for the 1/8" original rubber band shock cord snapping.
It was over way overdue.

Next up was my BT-70 version of the AIM-47A missile. I built this one at NARAM-45 and got all the way to the primer stage. NARAM-47 saw me paint-marker one wing black, one wing red, and add some electrical tape for striping. Launched it several times at NARAM-47.
The past weekend I touched up the wings with flourescent red and added flourescent yellow to the opposite (just like the real test version!) and added a few more strips of electrical tape here and there. Loaded up an E9-6 and let her rip! Great flight and no damage. Recovered withing 15 feet of the pad. So far so good.

Next was the Semroc SLS-SkyHook on a D12-5. Perfect ejection at apogee. Nice looking flight.

Next was my crudely finished Nike-X clone. Flown at the past 3 odd-numbered NARAMs on E9's. When I say crudely, I mean nothing more than white primer on the body and black sharpie on some of the fins. Loaded up an E9-6, let her rip, and recovered within the fenced in field boundary.

Then came the Big Dawg on a C6-7, a Honest-John on a B6-4, a Gemini-Titan on a C6-5, a MRC Standard ARM on a C6-3, a Custom RAZOR on a C6-5 (this one almost landed back on the pad!) and a mini-engined Patriot on the A3-4T.

I flew my wornout boilerplate TALOS using the PNC-55 ramjet cone with LOTS OF WEIGHT in it. It flew kinda corkscrew like given the breezy conditions. Well, The B4-2 didn't help.
I was out of B6-2's. A few fins popped off, but thats normal on this one. Its been rode hard and put away wet.

Mark Sinicki flew his Saturn Press Astrobee 1500, a couple of Edmonds gliders, a foam shuttle glider that was piggy-backed on a mean-machine booster, a SEMROC Snipe-Hunter that kicked the motor and lawndarted in the plowed field for ZERO DAMAGE! He also flew a Launch Pad plan pak-built SCUD with a cluster of D12-5's for a nice flight.

The new guy is Doug Szczepanski who brought some mid-power stuff.
He flew an Estes STARFIRE which was his favorite as a kid.
He tried a Quest Navaho two-stager and it didn't stage. It stuck in the soft plowed field so hopefully it wasn't damaged much.
Also flew STARBURST on an F reload. He flew SU motors before, but Mark oversaw the step-by-step assembly of his first reload and the flight worked beautifully.
Doug also launched another midpower model which he finished very nicely in a black and gold finish paying homage to the band Stryper album or song or something like that.
It flew great on a cluster of E30's! It ripped off the pad!
Doug also flew a Mega-Sizz I think. Good all-around flyer.

I took a few pics and few of them turned out.

tbzep
04-16-2006, 07:10 PM
(I wore just a T-shirt and a khaki long sleeve shirt and a bit of a breeze enveloped the 3 of us.

Sounds like new rocket friends were made and a good time was had by all. Nice pics too, but please wear some pants next time! :D

Chris_Timm
04-16-2006, 07:17 PM
please wear some pants next time! :D

I thought all rocketeers wore speedos to the launch? :o

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-16-2006, 07:44 PM
I thought all rocketeers wore speedos to the launch? :o

(Mental image of myself in a Speedo.) :eek:
Excuse me. I have to go look for that "projectile vomiting" smilie. :(

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Nice pics. I found it impressive that your launch field has bleachers.
No flying for me this weekend, but I finished a Nike Goon, Estes Sentinel, and MPC Icarus for next weekend. (If I live that long.)

tbzep
04-16-2006, 07:56 PM
I had a tournament this weekend. I spent all day/night Friday and Saturday in Dickson, TN. The inlaws took up almost all my time today. I had a fire call at 5:00 AM this morning. When I got home, I took a shower and told the wife I didn't care if her parents were coming or not, that I needed some time alone. I suited up and rode about 150 miles. Unfortunately, the inlaws were running late so I didn't miss them. :(

Chris_Timm
04-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Its probably a combination of too much sun and fresh air and running around without pants that I forgot to mention some of the rockets launched.

Doug just emailed me some of the photos he took on his mega-$$$ digital camera (Nikon D50?).

He caught my Talos just after the cone snapped back and knocked off a fin! You can see it clearly in the pic.

Missed flights to be accounted for include my Quest Triton that almost landed back on the pad.
Mark's Maxi V-2.
Doug's GBU/cluster bomblet model.
Enjoy the photos!

Chris_Timm
04-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Some more launch pics.

Chris_Timm
04-16-2006, 10:08 PM

Thats for the rocket groupies!!!! :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-16-2006, 10:24 PM
I had a tournament this weekend. I spent all day/night Friday and Saturday in Dickson, TN. The inlaws took up almost all my time today. I had a fire call at 5:00 AM this morning. When I got home, I took a shower and told the wife I didn't care if her parents were coming or not, that I needed some time alone. I suited up and rode about 150 miles. Unfortunately, the inlaws were running late so I didn't miss them. :(

A tournament? Are you the softball coach, or is this some kind of fire thing? (I have a certain expertise in that field and I'm available as long as you promise to buy me a new jacket at Wal Mart.) :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-16-2006, 10:25 PM

And I have an alibi at 5:00 am, so don't get any ideas.

tbzep
04-18-2006, 10:17 AM
A tournament? Are you the softball coach, or is this some kind of fire thing? (I have a certain expertise in that field and I'm available as long as you promise to buy me a new jacket at Wal Mart.) :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

I coach high school softball. The fire was in the utility room of a person who works night shifts and keeps her schedule the same even on weekends. She was up all night washing and drying clothes. The dryer caught on fire and spread to the clothing and stuff in the utility room. No grass fires at 5:00 AM, thank goodness!

Green Dragon
04-26-2006, 06:23 PM
No flying for me this weekend, but I finished a Nike Goon, Estes Sentinel, and MPC Icarus for next weekend. (If I live that long.)

Icarus.... duh ... I was looking at your pics in the thread above, and wasn;t sure what that was .. my bad, as I even have a nicely builtup version, too :-(

Rest of your pics look good, Solar Warrior is one of my favorites (still have my 'vintage' one ).

Your Yankee Clipper looks nice - did you print those decals ? as opposed tot he 'stickers' , i think the original used ?
Might have some of the stickers still, never thought much of the rocket, but after seeing yours ( and the fact I have a set of original diecut 'Cougar' fins ( same rocket, different decals) ......

~ AL

( painting some rockets this afternoon, haven't worked on much due to hectic schedule , new job,etc... so much for the winter projects, lol .
will post pics as I get a few more completed, built more last summer / fall than I have in years, even painted a few ( much to the shock of my local flying buddies :-)