PDA

View Full Version : Estes Patriot #0652 fin measuerments Please

philsxj
04-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I quess I would be considered a BAR. I used to do this when I was a kid. I had a Patriot. It seems that the Patriot has changed since then. I'm starting to collect the items necessary to build one. I found lots of plans and part numbers and have ordered the stuff. The only thing I can't seem to find are fin measurements.

Can anyone help me with those??

Thanks

Phil

CPMcGraw
04-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I quess I would be considered a BAR. I used to do this when I was a kid. I had a Patriot. It seems that the Patriot has changed since then. I'm starting to collect the items necessary to build one. I found lots of plans and part numbers and have ordered the stuff. The only thing I can't seem to find are fin measurements.

Can anyone help me with those??

Thanks

Phil

Welcome to our insane asylum, Phil. :D

The scans for the #652 Citation Patriot are located on JimZ website. There have been several different designs which were given the name Patriot, including one RTF from the late 1980's and early 1990's. For many of us, though, this model is the qualified "original".

The attached artwork should already be full-size. Just open it in GIMP, PhotoShop, or your OpSys's Image Viewer program. The fins are cut from 1/8" thick balsa sheet stock.

Here is a link to the full set of plan scans, including this file and the decal image:

http://www.dars.org/jimz/est0652.htm (http://www.dars.org/jimz/est0652.htm)

philsxj
04-22-2006, 07:09 AM
Hey Craig, Thanks for the info. I had found that website and looked through all the plans until I found the Original Patriot. I looked through all the instructions and ordered all the parts from Semroc. I tried to print the fin and decal stuff but it would either be too big or too small. When I printed the fin pic, it would either be half of a sheet of papr or just little postage stanp size pic in the corner of the paper. If you say that they're actual size then I'm doing something wrong on my end. I'll keep trying.

Thanks

Phil

CPMcGraw
04-22-2006, 02:08 PM
I tried to print the fin and decal stuff but it would either be too big or too small. When I printed the fin pic, it would either be half of a sheet of papr or just little postage stanp size pic in the corner of the paper.

Phil,

The actual size of the image is 3" wide by 5" tall (or, 900 pix wide, 1500 pix tall) and it was scanned at 300 DPI. What software are you using to open it?

philsxj
04-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Hey Craig, the image size helps alot. I've been opening it with Windows Picture Viewer, then importing it to Adobe Photoshop. I couldn't find the image properities on those so I imported iot to HP Image Zone and sure enough it showed the the image and pixel sizes you said it should be. I don't know why it was changing it to something different when it went to print. MAybe I was skipping something or I have a setting that I need to check or uncheck. Anyway at least i know that I have the right size and all i need is to get it out of the printer. As luck would have it it's been raining here most of the day so the kids and I have been biulding some of those free downloadable rockets that you print on heavy cardstock, and my black ink cartridge is now empty. I'll keep you posted on my results. Thanks again

Phil
(I'm off the Office Max when the rain lets up a bit)

CPMcGraw
04-22-2006, 04:53 PM
..I've been opening it with Windows Picture Viewer, then importing it to Adobe Photoshop...

Try opening it directly in Photoshop. I use Photoshop Elements 1.0, and I have no trouble with it at all. What version of Photoshop are you using?

PaulK
04-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Welcome to our insane asylum, Phil. :D
I prefer to think of it as a support group for those of us suffering from Obsessive Compulsive Rocket Disorder.

Oh, and welcome to YORF phil. Beware the BAR bug, it can bite hard :)

-Paul

philsxj
04-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Oh, and welcome to YORF phil. Beware the BAR bug, it can bite hard :)

-Paul[/QUOTE]

Hello Paul, I've only been here a short while and I do feel welcomed. Thanks

Hey Craig. I've been messing with this printing and it seems that i figured out how to get it to print out right. On JimZ site there is an option to open it in a PDF format. I was clicking on the green box on the left instead of the red and white one on the right. It went staright to Adobe Photoshop and I was abble to print out the fin pic and the decals as well.
http://www.geocities.com/philsxj/grnjewel.txt http://www.geocities.com/philsxj/pdfjewel.txt I don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place. I will post up when I finish this project. Thanks for your help.

Phil

Ltvscout
04-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Hey Craig. I've been messing with this printing and it seems that i figured out how to get it to print out right. On JimZ site there is an option to open it in a PDF format. I was clicking on the green box on the left instead of the red and white one on the right. It went staright to Adobe Photoshop and I was abble to print out the fin pic and the decals as well.
When printing PDF's make sure you have the Fit To Paper option turned off or you may not get the correct scale on fins, decals and other templates.